Thread Rating:

Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
November 14th, 2018 at 4:43:52 PM permalink
The only veto-proof financial legislation that I am personally aware of that the House passed in any of the sessions you listed above was the repeal of Glass-Steagall. I'm sure there are others. I'll fire up some Google.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
November 14th, 2018 at 4:59:59 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Michael Avanatti arrested for domestic violence.

If Avenatti doesn't know he has a big target on him, and needs to be prepared every moment for being taken down, well, he's clearly missed something important in his calculations.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
November 14th, 2018 at 6:21:01 PM permalink
We're operating under Trump Time now... Major news cycles last hours. The whole Avenatti and Stormy thing feels like ten years ago. He's old news.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
Thanked by
gamerfreak
November 15th, 2018 at 7:35:52 AM permalink
Trump is really freaking out

“These are Angry People, including the highly conflicted Bob Mueller, who worked for Obama for 8 years. They won’t even look at all of the bad acts and crimes on the other side,“A TOTAL WITCH HUNT LIKE NO OTHER IN AMERICAN HISTORY!”

I dnt get Trump
Relax, if you are not guilty, don't freak
I remember the Benghazi investigation. I did not think Clinton did anything wrong but of course I supported the investigation

Seems a lot of conservatives are against the investigation
why?
How can somebody support the Benghazi investigation but be against Mueller
weird
I support ALL investigations in DC because power corrupts regardless of party
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
tringlomane
November 15th, 2018 at 7:52:42 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Relax, if you are not guilty, don't freak

Well that's just it, isn't it? His behavior suggests he's anything but not guilty. That's why the investigation needs to continue and Mueller needs protection.
terapined
terapined
November 15th, 2018 at 7:56:30 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

Well that's just it, isn't it? His behavior suggests he's anything but not guilty. That's why the investigation needs to continue and Mueller needs protection.

I found that last Trump tweet pretty comical
He showed restraint by only going all capital letters just the last sentence

What will happen next
Will Trump lay down the hammer and go with ALL capitol letters in his next Mueller tweet
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 15th, 2018 at 8:52:15 AM permalink

“These are Angry People, including the highly conflicted Bob Mueller, who worked for Obama for 8 years.

How is he angry? How is he conflicted? Who cares if he worked for Obama? How is that relevant?

Quote:

They won’t even look at all of the bad acts and crimes on the other side,

Who is stopping the Democrats from being investigated? Go for it. I, and every American should, support fair and legal investigations of potential criminals from any party or background.

Quote:

“A TOTAL WITCH HUNT LIKE NO OTHER IN AMERICAN HISTORY!”

Except for... I don't know... maybe the ACTUAL LITERAL WITCH HUNTS THAT ARE A PART OF AMERICAN HISTORY?

Quote:

Seems a lot of conservatives are against the investigation
why?

Because they're guilty as well and they've been mixed up in Trump's nonsense since day one.
ams288
ams288 
  • Threads: 22
November 15th, 2018 at 9:23:03 AM permalink

How is he angry? How is he conflicted? Who cares if he worked for Obama? How is that relevant?

Mueller DIDN'T work for Obama. Only an imbecile like our President would tweet something that blatantly false.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
tringlomaneForager
November 15th, 2018 at 9:45:37 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Mueller DIDN'T work for Obama. Only an imbecile like our President would tweet something that blatantly false.

Don't be underestimating the size of the imbecile base here in Merica. Lots of angry people looking to blame someone else for a lifetime of poor decisions.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Steverinos
Steverinos
November 15th, 2018 at 11:40:29 AM permalink
Tanko,

I got to thinking about your post yesterday where you said that Republicans in the House deserve credit for the thriving economies we've seen under Democratic administrations because all fiscal policy originates there. And then I got to thinking about a post you made the other day that I put a Thank You on where you implied that had Al Gore won the election in 2000, a bunch of stuff could've been avoided. Here are a few:

Quote: Tanko

Had the dems succeeded, 700,000 mostly innocent Iraqi’s and Afghans, would be alive today.

The $6 trillion we’ve wasted on those wars, so far, could have built our infrastructure three times over.

The 2008 recession that Bush could have averted, might not have happened.

The federal government would not be $21 trillion in debt.

You surprisingly implied in this post that if Al Gore was president, we would've avoided piling debt and deficits and the 2008 recession. But in the post you made yesterday, you said this:

The Blinder report is a political hatchet job. The authors could have said, the economy does better when Republicans control the House. The House affects the economy. Only the House can create fiscal policy and control spending and finance. Not the President. Not the Senate. All legislation concerning fiscal policy, such as budget, appropriations and taxes must originate in the House.

The Dems controlled the House for the last two years of the G.W. Bush presidency. That worked out really well.

Here you seem to blame the recession on Dems in the house, whereas in your previous post, you imply it was Bush's fault because if Gore was there, it could've been avoided. "Bush could have averted".

While I obviously disagree with most of your posts, I appreciate them because they are sourced and it allows me to check out the other side of the debate. But in this case, you seem to be talking out of both sides.

Mind explaining the contradictions?
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
November 15th, 2018 at 6:21:54 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Hey, here's some fun. I'm starting work with the Florida recount tomorrow evening. Should be dull+interesting. Training this evening.

Honest question, no clue if this is a paid or volunteer position. In either case do they ask if you have any biases that should preclude you from the position.

Granted everyone involved voted for one or the other, and maybe not you, but there is no doubt there are some that would do anything possible to help their candidate.

Hearing this only seems to make a bad situation worse.

And to make you happy, I do blame this on Scott. He was the Governor for 8 years and everyone knows how messed up every Florida election seems to be. Should have been fixed years ago.
ams288
ams288 
November 15th, 2018 at 6:53:05 PM permalink
Florida is such a mess.

It’s time for Flexit.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 15th, 2018 at 7:11:23 PM permalink

Gee, got any guesses who was director of the FBI from 2009 to 2013?
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
November 15th, 2018 at 7:46:32 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Gee, got any guesses who was director of the FBI from 2009 to 2013?

Gee, appointed by the President, but confirmed by the Senate.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
November 15th, 2018 at 7:49:03 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

ICE was formed in 2003. Is the border safer than it was in 2002? Has 15 years of ICE been such a rousing success that it can't be improved upon? It's not about eliminating ICE, it's about making it better and more effective.

ICE was formed from the longstanding INS in 2003.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 15th, 2018 at 10:33:25 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Honest question, no clue if this is a paid or volunteer position. In either case do they ask if you have any biases that should preclude you from the position.

Granted everyone involved voted for one or the other, and maybe not you, but there is no doubt there are some that would do anything possible to help their candidate.

Hearing this only seems to make a bad situation worse.

And to make you happy, I do blame this on Scott. He was the Governor for 8 years and everyone knows how messed up every Florida election seems to be. Should have been fixed years ago.

No they don't ask. They already know. We represent one party or the other.

It is a work crew of 6 people, 3 R and 3 D. One of each is a ballot examiner. They announce their decision. Scott, Nelson, overvote, undervote, inconsistent.

If they agree, it is up to the observer, again one for each party, to object to their decision if needed. If an observer objects, there must be a legally recognized basis for the objection. If there is no objection, the ballot is moved to its next destination.

The third person for each party is a witness and recorder. They indicate exactly what conclusions were reached on each ballot.

If the examiners disagree, the ballot goes up the line to the lawyers. If there is an objection, the ballot goes up the line to the lawyers.

Most recount workers are volunteers. Some are paid. Everyone is considered biased, but the balance of interests makes it a fair process.

Do you really think I would lie to them about whether I have a preference and what it is? Or that they would even ask people to lie to them? They have my voting record and party affiliation registrations. Trying to figure out if your insinuation that I would cheat or misrepresent anything in recounting is inadvertent or just rude.

It was, and has been, in Rick Scott's interests all along to keep the South Florida election process broken. He denied funding twice as governor to fix Palm Beach County. He purged 1/2 million voters in 2012 runup, illegally, as it turned out. The Republican machine has been very busy in this state for 20 years.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
November 16th, 2018 at 4:39:06 AM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

You surprisingly implied in this post that if Al Gore was president, we would've avoided piling debt and deficits and the 2008 recession.

I said the federal government would not be $21 trillion in debt.

I did not imply Gore would not have piled on debt.

He would have. But not like Bush.

Gore would not have invaded Iraq, or remained in Afghanistan as long as Bush. We’re still there.

It is unlikely Obama, who added another $8.6 trillion to the debt, would have followed a Gore presidency.

Quote:

Here you seem to blame the recession on Dems in the house, whereas in your previous post, you imply it was Bush's fault because if Gore was there, it could've been avoided. "Bush could have averted".

I said it might not have happened.

Bush started the housing bubble with his push to expand home ownership, which created a massive increase in subprime mortgage loans to unqualified borrowers in the early to mid 2000’s.

Gore might not have done that.

To his credit, Bush called for tighter regulation seventeen times, beginning in 2001. Unfortunately, he could not get reform legislation past the dems.

Barney Frank accused Bush of creating an artificial issue, saying “People tend to pay their mortgages”.

Senator Reid said “we cannot pass legislation that could limit Americans from owning homes and potentially harm our economy in the process”.

Gore might have had more success in getting his fellow dems to support reform legislation as early as 2001.

Throughout 2007, and 2008, when the dems controlled the House and the Senate, Bush repeatedly called for reform. It was not until July 2008, that Congress passed Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae reform legislation. By then it was too little, too late.
ams288
ams288 
November 16th, 2018 at 5:01:54 AM permalink
Oops.

Charges against Julian Assange revealed in apparent copy-and-paste error

This and last night's news that Mueller asked for a 10 day delay in updating the court on Paul Manafort's cooperation can mean only one thing... more indictments are coming!
Boz
Boz
November 16th, 2018 at 5:09:50 AM permalink

No they don't ask. They already know. We represent one party or the other.

It is a work crew of 6 people, 3 R and 3 D. One of each is a ballot examiner. They announce their decision. Scott, Nelson, overvote, undervote, inconsistent.

If they agree, it is up to the observer, again one for each party, to object to their decision if needed. If an observer objects, there must be a legally recognized basis for the objection. If there is no objection, the ballot is moved to its next destination.

The third person for each party is a witness and recorder. They indicate exactly what conclusions were reached on each ballot.

If the examiners disagree, the ballot goes up the line to the lawyers. If there is an objection, the ballot goes up the line to the lawyers.

Most recount workers are volunteers. Some are paid. Everyone is considered biased, but the balance of interests makes it a fair process.

Do you really think I would lie to them about whether I have a preference and what it is? Or that they would even ask people to lie to them? They have my voting record and party affiliation registrations. Trying to figure out if your insinuation that I would cheat or misrepresent anything in recounting is inadvertent or just rude.

It was, and has been, in Rick Scott's interests all along to keep the South Florida election process broken. He denied funding twice as governor to fix Palm Beach County. He purged 1/2 million voters in 2012 runup, illegally, as it turned out. The Republican machine has been very busy in this state for 20 years.

Sorry if you thought the question rude. That was by no means correct. But I was concerned and everyone should be with anyone of either side with such obvious bias you have publicly shown being involved.

I asked a legitimate question and I appreciate you answering how the process works with apparently checks and balances in place. The process you explained is not shown to the public.

Now we will see how this turns out as a week spent on the governors race found 1, yes 1 single extra vote for Gillum.
Last edited by: Boz on Nov 16, 2018
billryan
billryan
November 16th, 2018 at 9:29:54 AM permalink
Joe Biden for Speaker.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Steverinos
Steverinos
November 16th, 2018 at 9:45:08 AM permalink

I said the federal government would not be $21 trillion in debt.

I did not imply Gore would not have piled on debt.

He would have. But not like Bush.

Gore would not have invaded Iraq, or remained in Afghanistan as long as Bush. We’re still there.

It is unlikely Obama, who added another $8.6 trillion to the debt, would have followed a Gore presidency.

I said it might not have happened.

Bush started the housing bubble with his push to expand home ownership, which created a massive increase in subprime mortgage loans to unqualified borrowers in the early to mid 2000’s.

Gore might not have done that.

To his credit, Bush called for tighter regulation seventeen times, beginning in 2001. Unfortunately, he could not get reform legislation past the dems.

Barney Frank accused Bush of creating an artificial issue, saying “People tend to pay their mortgages”.

Senator Reid said “we cannot pass legislation that could limit Americans from owning homes and potentially harm our economy in the process”.

Gore might have had more success in getting his fellow dems to support reform legislation as early as 2001.

Throughout 2007, and 2008, when the dems controlled the House and the Senate, Bush repeatedly called for reform. It was not until July 2008, that Congress passed Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae reform legislation. By then it was too little, too late.

So Presidents DO have an impact on our economy? Sounds like they do.

I personally believe their biggest impact is felt during times of crisis, which Trump has been fortunate enough to not have faced. And that's mostly because of the foundation he inherited, for which Barack Obama (who DID inherit a crisis), AND Congress, deserve credit; credit that is so rarely doled out by hard-line conservatives.

The overall point is that the economy, historically, performs better under Democratic administrations. While financial legislation does originate in the House, and they control the purse strings (which I find it odd to attribute debt to a president if you purely believe this), Presidents shape legislation. If the House passes something that a president is not going to sign, and it isn't veto-proof (repeal of Glass-Steagall), then what's the point?
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
November 16th, 2018 at 10:25:49 AM permalink
Judge Timothy J. Kelly ordered the White House to return Jim Acosta’s press pass.

Trump appointed Judge Timothy J. Kelly
Steverinos
Steverinos
November 16th, 2018 at 10:34:31 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Trump appointed Judge Timothy J. Kelly

Trump is pissed he didn't recuse himself.
Boz
Boz
November 16th, 2018 at 11:40:14 AM permalink
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/11/16/some-florida-democrats-wonder-would-andrew-gillum-have-won-if-he-were-white/

The takeaways are less blacks are voting strictly for the Dem nominees than did for Obama.

And to some, ACR, Always Claim Racism.

Congratulations to the small, but more than enough, voting majority of Floridians who saw through the scam Bernie Gillum had planned for hard working residents.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 16th, 2018 at 12:02:05 PM permalink

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/11/16/some-florida-democrats-wonder-would-andrew-gillum-have-won-if-he-were-white/

The takeaways are less blacks are voting strictly for the Dem nominees than did for Obama.

Congratulations to the small, but more than enough, voting majority of Floridians who saw through the scam Bernie Gillum had planned for hard working residents.

What part of incompetent, ignorant buffoon is so hard to understand? DeSantis is a joke, at least his public statements, commercials, and debate performances. I want competence. I voted for his opponent Putnam in the primaries, would have voted Putnam in the general, but people would rather have an idiot right now.

Gillum was the more competent candidate by far. And it's a Republican legislature, so we could have had natural checks on his Bernie-nonsense. But now we have idiot squared. Ugh.

Back to counting. Probably an exercise in futility now that Broward turned out to have a flawed ballot, not flawed machine reading this morning. But what the hell.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
November 16th, 2018 at 12:07:10 PM permalink

Imagine being so stupid that you actually believed the caravan was a real threat and not just a political ploy by a racist d-bag...

“To claim asylum in San Diego, migrants enter their names in a tattered notebook held together by duct tape and managed by the migrants in a plaza outside the entry to the main border crossing. On Thursday, migrants who registered six weeks ago were getting their names called. The waiting list has grown to more than 3,000 names and stands to become much longer with the caravans.”

“There are real questions about how the city of more than 1.6 million will manage to handle the migrant caravans working their way through Mexico, which may total 10,000 people in all.” --usnews
ams288
ams288 
November 16th, 2018 at 12:12:57 PM permalink

Lots of Trump supporters are racists. And I mean lots. This ain’t a “bad apples on both sides” thing.

When I point this out, certain righties always get upset, which makes me want to do it more.

It’s a vicious cycle!
billryan
billryan
November 16th, 2018 at 12:39:12 PM permalink
Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) appeared to endorse voter suppression during a campaign stop this month, saying efforts to undermine voting among liberals at certain colleges would be a “great idea.”
“And then they remind me that there’s a lot of liberal folks in those other schools who maybe we don’t want to vote,” Hyde-Smith can be heard telling a small crowd of young people outside her campaign bus in a video taken Nov. 3 and posted on online Thursday. “Maybe we want to make it just a little more difficult. And I think that’s a great idea.”

Perhaps not all Republicans are cowards, but why are they so afraid to let people vote?
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 16th, 2018 at 12:45:27 PM permalink

“To claim asylum in San Diego, migrants enter their names in a tattered notebook held together by duct tape and managed by the migrants in a plaza outside the entry to the main border crossing. On Thursday, migrants who registered six weeks ago were getting their names called. The waiting list has grown to more than 3,000 names and stands to become much longer with the caravans.”

“There are real questions about how the city of more than 1.6 million will manage to handle the migrant caravans working their way through Mexico, which may total 10,000 people in all.” --usnews

Over 1,000 people EVERY SINGLE DAY are apprehended at the border trying to cross into the U.S. That's only the ones that are caught. Who knows how many make it in.

A caravan of 10,000 is barely a week's worth of people, so yes, it is not a threat and nothing more than a political stunt. It's business as usual at the border, which is why Trump and the GOP no longer care about it. It was nothing more than a mid-term talking point that failed miserably.
Steverinos
Steverinos
November 16th, 2018 at 1:09:19 PM permalink

Lots of Trump supporters are racists. And I mean lots. This ain’t a “bad apples on both sides” thing.

You might not be a racist if you are a Republican. But if you are a racist, you are probably a Republican.
Steverinos
Steverinos
November 16th, 2018 at 1:13:19 PM permalink

A caravan of 10,000 is barely a week's worth of people, so yes, it is not a threat and nothing more than a political stunt.

And an expensive one.

So much for fiscal conservatism.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 16th, 2018 at 1:14:01 PM permalink

Over 1,000 people EVERY SINGLE DAY are apprehended at the border trying to cross into the U.S. That's only the ones that are caught. Who knows how many make it in.

A caravan of 10,000 is barely a week's worth of people, so yes, it is not a threat and nothing more than a political stunt. It's business as usual at the border, which is why Trump and the GOP no longer care about it. It was nothing more than a mid-term talking point that failed miserably.

Ummm... I guess you haven't been following the news closely. You do realize that (at least in theory) these 'caravaners' are not trying to enter the US illegally, but rather they are applying for asylum in a fashion that is legal. So these people, to use your word, will not be apprehended because they (supposedly) are not trying to do anything illegal! I think the 'talking point' would have worked well if it was coming from anyone less bombastic and out of control than Trump.
I'll call myself the GOP...... I care about the border every day. I want illegals blocked from entering every day. I want illegals deported every day. I want the rule of law upheld every day. That's the Republican party on the border issues.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
November 16th, 2018 at 1:16:10 PM permalink

Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) appeared to endorse voter suppression during a campaign stop this month, saying efforts to undermine voting among liberals at certain colleges would be a “great idea.”
“And then they remind me that there’s a lot of liberal folks in those other schools who maybe we don’t want to vote,” Hyde-Smith can be heard telling a small crowd of young people outside her campaign bus in a video taken Nov. 3 and posted on online Thursday. “Maybe we want to make it just a little more difficult. And I think that’s a great idea.”

Perhaps not all Republicans are cowards, but why are they so afraid to let people vote?

Because the ones that are the easiest to prevent from voting are the ones that generally vote against the Republicans.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
November 16th, 2018 at 1:20:04 PM permalink

One thing that bugs me about the 2 minutes late in Florida, so vote tally doesn't count, is depriving a right to vote based on mismanagement of the process.

The individual voters got their votes in on time.

If a voter does something wrong at the polls like show up on the wrong day then it's okay not to count it. But that's not the case here.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Steverinos
Steverinos
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
November 16th, 2018 at 1:27:03 PM permalink

When the only elections you win is when LESS people vote, it's not something to be particularly proud of.
terapined
terapined
November 16th, 2018 at 1:31:17 PM permalink
Trumps latest tweet

"People are not being told that the Republican Party is on track to pick up two seats in the U.S. Senate, and epic victory: 53 to 47. The Fake News Media only wants to speak of the House, where the Midterm results were better than other sitting Presidents."

WTF
Its common knowledge the republicans held the senate
It was on the news. lol
billryan
billryan
November 16th, 2018 at 1:43:40 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

One thing that bugs me about the 2 minutes late in Florida, so vote tally doesn't count, is depriving a right to vote based on mismanagement of the process.

If a voter does something wrong at the polls like show up on the wrong day then it's okay not to count it. But that's not the case here.

I'm going to take a contrarian view on this. I'm not convinced Broward didn't intentionally file late. For all their bluster, the numbers from election night actually ended up better for Nelson than the recounted ballots.
Isnt it time ballots everywhere were treated by one standard.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
beachbumbabsterapinedtringlomane
November 16th, 2018 at 2:00:09 PM permalink

Gotta agree here. The right of the individual who voted properly to have his or her vote counted has to supercede any other factors.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 16th, 2018 at 2:05:11 PM permalink

Trumps latest tweet

"People are not being told that the Republican Party is on track to pick up two seats in the U.S. Senate, and epic victory: 53 to 47. The Fake News Media only wants to speak of the House, where the Midterm results were better than other sitting Presidents."

WTF
Its common knowledge the republicans held the senate
It was on the news. lol

Trump's point is valid. His party (I HATE calling it his party) did better than recent previous Dem Presidents at midterms. And now the Republicans do not need to cower under the pressure from a single Senator who wants to vote against Republican principles. It is not a disaster for the Republicans, however, it is clear that the country is moving left. Once Texas goes blue (2024?) I can't see any path for a Republican to win the Presidency. (Of course I'm the guy who thought Obama would lose first election, and Hillary would romp all over Donald...)
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 16th, 2018 at 2:19:11 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Ummm... I guess you haven't been following the news closely. You do realize that (at least in theory) these 'caravaners' are not trying to enter the US illegally, but rather they are applying for asylum in a fashion that is legal. So these people, to use your word, will not be apprehended because they (supposedly) are not trying to do anything illegal! I think the 'talking point' would have worked well if it was coming from anyone less bombastic and out of control than Trump.

LOL.... The fact that they want to come in legally makes it even less of a threat... Thousands of people every week try to come in illegally, so a caravan of only 10,000 is not only statistical noise with regards to yearly numbers, but the fact that they are willing to at least attempt it legally makes it a total non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

It was not a good talking point, period, regardless of whether or not Trump was behind it.

......... Once Texas goes blue (2024?) I can't see any path for a Republican to win the Presidency. .......

Oh, they'll win again, once they re-brand and shift back towards the center. Because the Democrats are going to make the mistake of shifting too far to the left, and moderate Republicanism will be much more appealing.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
AxelWolf
November 16th, 2018 at 2:24:14 PM permalink

LOL.... The fact that they want to come in legally makes it even less of a threat... Thousands of people every week try to come in illegally, so a caravan of only 10,000 is not only statistical noise with regards to yearly numbers, but the fact that they are willing to at least attempt it legally makes it a total non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

It was not a good talking point, period, regardless of whether or not Trump was behind it.

I think that the concept of 'asylum' is not meant for poor people looking for a better job than available in their home countries. I think it is meant for people facing religious persecution, things like that..... So I want our laws changed to reflect that just by showing up at our border does not mean you should get in. Asylum should be a high bar to obtain.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 16th, 2018 at 2:42:22 PM permalink
Follow-up. My county is done with the recount already. Standing by to hear if I'm going to travel, but probably not.

No results have changed so far from election night predictions.
terapined
terapined
November 16th, 2018 at 2:47:25 PM permalink

Trump's point is valid.

WTF
He won the Senate
It was in the news last week
What's the valid point? You had no idea that Trump won the senate???????? You were not told ?????????
rxwine
rxwine
November 16th, 2018 at 3:10:40 PM permalink

I'm going to take a contrarian view on this. I'm not convinced Broward didn't intentionally file late. For all their bluster, the numbers from election night actually ended up better for Nelson than the recounted ballots.
Isnt it time ballots everywhere were treated by one standard.

I'm all for beating up on these districts that repeatedly don't get their act together. Maybe fine them so it costs them big bucks, but don't deny votes. I'm not sure what's legal to do in the process though.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 16th, 2018 at 3:26:50 PM permalink

I'm all for beating up on these districts that repeatedly don't get their act together. Maybe fine them so it costs them big bucks, but don't deny votes. I'm not sure what's legal to do in the process though.

What would be legal to do is budget to update South Florida equipment into the 21st century. 20+ years of Republicans running the election process has led us here, and allowed them to be corrupt and lazy about spending the money, because the people being left out are about 68% likely Dems vs. 31% likely republicans (according to the latest Florida survey of demographics and disenfranchised voters.)

This here is the old, nasty Dixie, with a thin veneer of sunshine and sand. There has been NO equipment upgrade since the fiasco of 2000. Is it any surprise it's still a fiasco?
TigerWu
TigerWu
November 16th, 2018 at 3:39:38 PM permalink

WTF
He won the Senate
It was in the news last week
What's the valid point? You had no idea that Trump won the senate???????? You were not told ?????????

Yeah, I'm not sure what Trump's point was. People had been saying for months that the GOP would likely hold the Senate. Most predictions said they would even pick up a couple seats. This is exactly what happened, and the media reported on it. Nobody was surprised. Well, apparently Trump was surprised, considering his tweet, but he's a f***ing moron, so that's to be expected.

I think that the concept of 'asylum' is not meant for poor people looking for a better job than available in their home countries. I think it is meant for people facing religious persecution, things like that..... So I want our laws changed to reflect that just by showing up at our border does not mean you should get in. Asylum should be a high bar to obtain.

I agree. I don't know what the people in the caravan are claiming, I don't know what their lives were like back home, and I don't know how it's investigated. I did know a guy once from Africa and he was trying to claim asylum because the country he came from was destroyed by civil war or something. He had to get a lawyer and it was a big to-do. I don't know if he was successful, but I hope he was.
Steverinos
Steverinos
November 16th, 2018 at 3:45:07 PM permalink

This here is the old, nasty Dixie, with a thin veneer of sunshine and sand. There has been NO equipment upgrade since the fiasco of 2000. Is it any surprise it's still a fiasco?

I'm sure population growth hasn't helped.
billryan
billryan
November 17th, 2018 at 11:14:43 AM permalink
Trumps excuse for not attending Veterans Day Ceremonies.

“I could have done that. As you know, I just left the day before the American Cemetery, and I probably think, and that was one where it was raining as hard as you can imagine, and I made a speech at the American Cemetery the day before and I probably, you know, in retrospect I should have and I did last year and I will virtually every year,” Trump said. “But we had come in very late at night and I had just left, literally, the American Cemetery in Paris, and I really probably assumed that was fine, and I was extremely busy because of affairs of state, and other things.”

Except he didn't attend last year either. Nor has he visited troops overseas in his two years in office. He did stop by a Coast Guard base near Mar Largo.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
Boz
November 17th, 2018 at 2:00:18 PM permalink

Trumps excuse for not attending Veterans Day Ceremonies.

“I could have done that. As you know, I just left the day before the American Cemetery, and I probably think, and that was one where it was raining as hard as you can imagine, and I made a speech at the American Cemetery the day before and I probably, you know, in retrospect I should have and I did last year and I will virtually every year,” Trump said. “But we had come in very late at night and I had just left, literally, the American Cemetery in Paris, and I really probably assumed that was fine, and I was extremely busy because of affairs of state, and other things.”

Except he didn't attend last year either. Nor has he visited troops overseas in his two years in office. He did stop by a Coast Guard base near Mar Largo.

Here he is in France visiting the graves of US soldiers. He has done more to fix the VA, which you yourself claim to be a beneficiary of its health insurance, than any other President in the last few decades.
  • Jump to: