Thread Rating:

ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
June 4th, 2018 at 2:04:13 PM permalink
I was just in Vegas for 5 days and I lost 4 pounds. Considering all the White Russians and frozen margartias I drank while gambling, that's pretty good.

I was walking nearly 16,000 steps per day according to my iPhone.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 4th, 2018 at 2:06:45 PM permalink
I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago for 7 days and lost 6 pounds.

3 hours of sleep a night, one meal most days, a few short, forced hikes, constant activities will do that to you. Wouldn't have missed any of it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 4th, 2018 at 2:08:08 PM permalink
I was in Vegas 7 days, got food poisoning and lost 15lbs and the will to live for over two weeks.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 4th, 2018 at 2:15:33 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I was in Vegas 7 days, got food poisoning and lost 15lbs and the will to live for over two weeks.

Just when you think the bottom has fallen out of your world, the world falls out of your bottom.

I'll get me coat
$:o)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
June 4th, 2018 at 2:22:00 PM permalink

Do you know where you got the food poisoning from?
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 4th, 2018 at 2:22:53 PM permalink

That was February. Totally awful. Also 4 yrs ago. My sympathies. Lousy experience made worse by being in Vegas and wasting all that time.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
June 4th, 2018 at 2:29:58 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

The last place I had eaten before I got sick was the Venetian Chipotle, and Chipotle was in the news a few days later for having a Norovirus outbreak.

Quote: beachbumbabs

That was February. Totally awful. Also 4 yrs ago. My sympathies. Lousy experience made worse by being in Vegas and wasting all that time.

It hit me on the 6hr returning flight. Not sure which I would have prefered.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 4th, 2018 at 2:41:18 PM permalink
In 2004, National Lampoon wrote a spoof article about the 'Lettuce and Coffee diet' It was a total p155 take of the Atkins diet. The premise was that you could eat as much iceberg lettuce as you liked, prepared in any way you liked, but with no other ingredients. You could also drink all sorts of coffee, but without milk or sugar.

I don't know if some idiots took it for real and either died or sued, but all that remains of it is a pdf, floating about on one internet site that is not National Lampoons.

I really think it had to be taken down because of legal jeopardy. There are actual diets based on it, that's how crazy some people are.

Just to prevent anyone considering this a recommendation, I'll say categorically.
This diet was a spoof. If you try it, you are likely to damage your health or die.

I won't link to the PDF for the same legal reason, but googling National Lampoon Lettuce and Coffee Diet might get you to it.

A few quotes...
"Why This Plan Works:-

This plan (Plan!) works because it’s simple and generous. With LCD, eat and drink as much as you want, whenever you want, for as long as you want, with whomever you want, wherever you are, and however you want. And don’t worry about esoteric concepts that throw smokescreens onto your efforts (“insulin?” What are we, scientists?!). That’s right, as long as it’s iceberg lettuce and coffee, there are absolutely no restrictions. None at all! Take that, Jenny Craig!"

The 'Plan' is broken down into phases such as acclamation, where ...

"Don’t be concerned if you’re doubled-over with cramps after a few days—those are temporary feelings that subside completely by Phase II. Those blinding pains are your body telling you that the plan is working!
Expected weight loss: 27-32 pounds"

The article has recipes and testimonials. Here's some testimonials:-

"I was a bit leery about LCD after the 60 Minutes piece, but my wedding was three weeks away and I wanted to
look good. I’m happy to report that I shed 79 pounds in just 19 days. And despite the persistent gum bleeding
and total hair loss, my dress fit great! LCD works!
---M. Jackowitz, San Jose, CA
I began following the LCD Plan after witnessing a co-worker’s rapid success (followed by her untimely death)
two months ago. Since then, I’ve shed 220 pounds and my wife is insatiable. Muchos gracias, LCD! "

If you have a wicked sense of humour and can cope with a splattered page layout, and the odd obscenity, I commend the article to you. JUST DON'T TRY THE DIET. IT'S A JOKE!!!!
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
June 4th, 2018 at 3:03:26 PM permalink
Quote: ams288

Lets just say it happened right after he met up with a bunch of us and leave it at that.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 12th, 2018 at 8:06:54 AM permalink
I have just had a sort of breakfast.

One package of beef Ramen noodles and one package of chicken Ramen noodles.

Who says I don't eat a varied diet?

Now since I do not open the flavor packets, I'm not quite sure just how varied it is, but I'm doing what I can.

And yes, I added generous amounts of parsley to it.

Don't know if I am losing weight but I like to think so. Can't lose too much weight, ain't got no belt.

Had a swig of V8 juice, will read the label to discover how many calories that was when I wake up. No coffee this morning so not likely to be waking up soon.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
June 12th, 2018 at 9:40:17 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

One package of beef Ramen noodles and one package of chicken Ramen noodles.

Ramen is cheap, but since you don't use the seasoning packets you might want to just eat rice. Much cheaper in bulk, and healthier than those prepackaged Ramens.

Quote:

Had a swig of V8 juice,

Do you get the low sodium V8?
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
June 12th, 2018 at 11:01:17 AM permalink
Yeah. If i was totally broke I'd go with beans and rice and also eggs.

Whatabout food banks and food stamps?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 12th, 2018 at 11:57:58 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Ramen is cheap, but since you don't use the seasoning packets you might want to just eat rice. Much cheaper in bulk, and healthier than those prepackaged Ramens.

Yeah, but you gotta make rice and unless you got some sort of flavoring it just tatstes like glue or it tastes like gritty glue. You need a lid as well and that means an extra bend so I do without.

>>>>Do you get the low sodium V8?
Maybe. I guess I don't really know what low sodium red stuff looks like as opposed to high sodium red stuff. All I know is taste and not much tastes worse than that red stuff.

>>>>eggs.
Well, there is that bend for the frying pan thing and also the pan has to be washed from time to time, unless of course you own a dog.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
RogerKint
June 12th, 2018 at 5:25:50 PM permalink
V8 is the most vile concoction I have ever come across.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 12th, 2018 at 5:58:55 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Any form of alcoholic beverage is worse.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 12th, 2018 at 6:16:39 PM permalink

It is kind of gross. First time I tried it, I took one sip and threw it in the garbage.

Then one time, somebody left a case of it at my house after a party. I thought it would be fun to force myself to drink all of it over the next couple weeks, because it IS kind of healthy. (My standards for "fun" back then were pretty low.) I eventually got used to the taste, but just barely.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
June 12th, 2018 at 6:21:35 PM permalink
If you think V8 is bad....

billryan
billryan
June 12th, 2018 at 6:36:30 PM permalink

If you think V8 is bad....

A very close second. Even Grey Goose cant save that shite.
billryan
billryan
June 12th, 2018 at 6:42:07 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

It is kind of gross. First time I tried it, I took one sip and threw it in the garbage.

Then one time, somebody left a case of it at my house after a party. I thought it would be fun to force myself to drink all of it over the next couple weeks, because it IS kind of healthy. (My standards for "fun" back then were pretty low.) I eventually got used to the taste, but just barely.

For about two years, my Mother made me drink a small can for breakfast every day. I got to the point where I could guzzle it straight down my throat without it hitting my taste buds. Good training for my college beer chugging adventures. Last year, I attended an early morning pool party that was serving Bloody Mary's. I asked for one without all the usual fixings and they served it with V8. The first and last time I had one since the 70s.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 13th, 2018 at 2:39:36 AM permalink
Clam juice? I once saw some and thought it might make a zesty tonic of some sort then found out it has to be cooked first. Two or three pints of Guinness helped wash it away but clam flavored stout is an abomination unto itself.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 20th, 2018 at 2:49:40 PM permalink
Can't locate the post but somewhere upthread a comment was made about lack of exercise being the cause of an obesity epidemic.

Sure dietary composition and also exercise play a role but most excess weight, particularly central obesity, is due to the stomach and intestinal microflora. Various foods, food additives and the like affect our gut microbes and its those microbes that are primarily responsible for obesity, diabetes, etc.
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 20th, 2018 at 2:51:55 PM permalink
Yeah, you can be thin and never exercise a day in your life. And, you can be fat and exercise every day.

The obesity epidemic is purely a food based problem.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 20th, 2018 at 4:23:25 PM permalink
V8 is legitimately the bee's knees. Are they actually healthy ornah?

Btw, GamerFreak, I think it was just a big coincidence that you got food poisoning at the same time Chipotle supposedly had a norovirus outbreak.

If all I could eat was Chipotle and drink V8, I would actually live forever. No joke.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
June 20th, 2018 at 4:58:36 PM permalink
For the Chipotle lovers, you MUST visit "Chingon" at San Manuel.
100% risk of ruin
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
June 20th, 2018 at 4:59:19 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Btw, GamerFreak, I think it was just a big coincidence that you got food poisoning at the same time Chipotle supposedly had a norovirus outbreak.

You’re right, it could have been anything. I was swimming in the Flamingo pool close to when I got sick too.

But Chipotle has a terrible history with food poisoning. Every year it’s either Norvirus or E.Coli.

Either way, it was what I was tossing up on the entire flight home, so I’ve had trouble stomaching any Mexican type food since.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 20th, 2018 at 7:16:09 PM permalink

If all I could eat was Chipotle and drink V8, I would actually live forever. No joke.

V8 is great stuff. Not warm off the shelf. Cold, over ice, salted, lemon garnish squeezed in. Let sit 5 min to get the juice down into the ice. Drink. Aaaah.

I binge on it for a couple weeks, then go off it for a month or so.

And, yeah, healthiest thing this side of squeeze your own (the original). Gotta check labels on their new blends, though. Some might as well be soda, the sugar and carbs in them.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
June 20th, 2018 at 7:22:34 PM permalink

V8 is great stuff. Not warm off the shelf. Cold, over ice, salted, lemon garnish squeezed in. Let sit 5 min to get the juice down into the ice. Drink. Aaaah.

And, yeah, healthiest thing this side of squeeze your own (the original). Gotta check labels on their new blends, though. Some might as well be soda, the sugar and carbs in them.

Beyond chicken broth, I just can’t wrap my head around a savory drink.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Thanked by
RogerKint
June 21st, 2018 at 4:13:23 AM permalink

Beyond chicken broth, I just can’t wrap my head around a savory drink.

Ah, but there is a marvelous world out there of "tonics". Think of the American Indians who trekked long distances and encountered many varieties of weeds, herbs, barks and seeds. They learned to make stimulating beverages of them. We, as modern consumers, have learned only the products that are commercially produced and heavily advertised. Now that I am no longer homeless, I hope to manage to be able to accumulate items such as ice cubes, salt, lemons etc. Its a wonderful world to be able to make your own "bitters" and not rely on the commercial varieties.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 23rd, 2018 at 9:03:24 AM permalink
Question: I bought one of those ten ounce pre-packaged Dole poppy seed salad bags.

I have to use it up real soon now.

How much is a reasonable serving size? It won't be a "side" dish. Either balsamic vinegrette on the salad or it will be Greek yogurt dressing if there is one of those packets inside the bag once I open it.

Amazon said they were going to deliver some Ashwaghandi today, so I guess I ordered it but I sure don't remember ordering it and I sure don't remember what it is.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 23rd, 2018 at 9:26:15 AM permalink

Question: I bought one of those ten ounce pre-packaged Dole poppy seed salad bags.

I have to use it up real soon now.

How much is a reasonable serving size? It won't be a "side" dish. Either balsamic vinegrette on the salad or it will be Greek yogurt dressing if there is one of those packets inside the bag once I open it.

Amazon said they were going to deliver some Ashwaghandi today, so I guess I ordered it but I sure don't remember ordering it and I sure don't remember what it is.

The whole bag, at 10 oz, I would consider a dinner (entree) salad at a restaurant. 2 side salads.

There isn't nearly as much in the bag as it appears when you buy it.

Fwiw, if you're getting drug tested as part of your medical regimen, poppy seeds sometimes show up as opium/heroin traces. Had to avoid them the whole time I was ATC.
TigerWu
TigerWu
June 23rd, 2018 at 9:45:07 AM permalink

Nutritional information says a serving is 3.5 oz. So your 10 oz bag will be about three servings. But if that's going to be your whole meal and nothing else, eating the whole thing probably wouldn't be unreasonable.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
June 23rd, 2018 at 10:05:27 AM permalink

The whole bag, at 10 oz, I would consider a dinner (entree) salad at a restaurant. 2 side salads.

Okay, then I'll just have salad for dinner. I just didn't want to go overboard but its use by date is already looming yet I don't want to venture out in this heat for grocery shopping unless its really necessary.

>>>>There isn't nearly as much in the bag as it appears when you buy it.
Yeah, they probably inject a blast of air to fluff up the packaging so it looks more substantial than it is.

>>>Fwiw, if you're getting drug tested as part of your medical regimen,
>>>poppy seeds sometimes show up as opium/heroin traces.
>>>Had to avoid them the whole time I was ATC.
I'm not really doing any drug testing, not even those home glucose finger prick thingies.
I do recall some news articles about poppy seeds and on the job drug tests.
Poppy seed muffins even poppy seeds on a morning bagel can wreck a controller's career and who is wide awake enough when slurping their morning coffee and having a bagel to remember such things or notice that the waitress made a mistake? Its particularly dangerous since bagels are often served sliced with the poppy side down and the cream cheese on the top.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
June 23rd, 2018 at 10:11:34 AM permalink

Yeah, they probably inject a blast of air to fluff up the packaging so it looks more substantial than it is.

Actually, salad bags are completely flat when fresh. You want to buy the bags with the least air as possible. The salad expels gas as it ages. If you see big puffy bags, they are only a few days from going bad.
Last edited by: gamerfreak on Jun 23, 2018
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
RogerKint
June 23rd, 2018 at 11:02:19 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

For the Chipotle lovers, you MUST visit "any one of the thousands of Mexican restaurants that serve decent to good food"l.

Fyp
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
June 23rd, 2018 at 3:19:55 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

For the Chipotle lovers, you MUST visit "Chingon" at San Manuel.

bruh I go to chipotle to have my authentic mexican burrito made by white people
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
June 24th, 2018 at 3:33:20 PM permalink
Due to stress and insomnia over the past 7 months, my eating went to $h1t so, last week I started on KETO and also gave up alcohol

According to the scale at my gym, I went from 250 to 238 in the course of a week keeping my calories <1200 and carbohydrates <25g — is that possible ( I guess it is since it happened ) but, I assume it is water weight - thought I’d ask your opinions herein
Last edited by: aceofspades on Jun 24, 2018
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 3:40:58 PM permalink
A lot of it is water weight but that's nothing to sneeze at. It means less inflammation, and less bloating.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 3:41:47 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

Due to stress and insomnia over the past 7 months, my eating went to $h1t so, last week I started on kept and also gave up alcohol

According to the scale at my gym, I went from 250 to 238 in the course of a week keeping my calories <1200 and carbohydrates <25g — is that possible ( I guess it is since it happened ) but, I assume it is water weight - thought I’d ask your opinions herein

Congratulations! 12 pounds in a week is likely a mixture of real weight loss and 'water weight'. If you can really keep your intake at 1200 or less the pounds will come off quickly. It is of course not as easy as it sounds.
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 3:43:12 PM permalink

Due to stress and insomnia over the past 7 months, my eating went to $h1t so, last week I started on kept and also gave up alcohol

Very impressive.
I reckon it's better than water weight. Looks like the kind of regime that would chip away at visceral fat.

Carbs <25g is pretty amazing That's less than half of a 1oz shot of bourbon.

I'm eager to take diet tips off you :o) I managed to get from 202 to 182 ( and keep it there ) over 6 months and it's been hell. Taking a month out from alcohol gave me a rapid start. Now I just limit myself dramatically compared to what I used to consume.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 3:45:58 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Congratulations! 12 pounds in a week is likely a mixture of real weight loss and 'water weight'. If you can really keep your intake at 1200 or less the pounds will come off quickly. It is of course not as easy as it sounds.

Calories have come from Muscle Milk Light (100 calories) protein shakes and 1 lb. of 94% Lean ground beef each day (with some BBQ sauce and Dijon mustard to dip it in)
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 3:47:28 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Very impressive.
I reckon it's better than water weight. Looks like the kind of regime that would chip away at visceral fat.

Carbs <25g is pretty amazing That's less than half of a 1oz shot of bourbon.

I'm eager to take diet tips off you :o) I managed to get from 202 to 182 ( and keep it there ) over 6 months and it's been hell. Taking a month out from alcohol gave me a rapid start. Now I just limit myself dramatically compared to what I used to consume.

Yeah, my body set point is ~225 so, once I am there, I am pretty good -- I am muscular by nature and once I get to be 210 pounds everyone accuses me of "wasting away"
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 24th, 2018 at 3:47:50 PM permalink

Calories have come from Muscle Milk Light (100 calories) protein shakes and 1 lb. of 94% Lean ground beef each day (with some BBQ sauce and Dijon mustard to dip it in)

Yeah... but what about your meals :o)
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 3:55:54 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Yeah... but what about your meals :o)

Those are my meals
4 shakes at 100 calories each
2 servings of ½ pound lean beef with BBQ sauce and dijon mustard
(occasionally I throw in 2 scrambled eggs with hot sauce)
billryan
billryan
June 24th, 2018 at 4:07:11 PM permalink
I'd substitute a different powder shake for the Muscle Milk. I don't hear many good things about it. Slimfast or my personal favorite, 310 Shakes , will serve you better.
That doesn't sound like a very substantial diet. Maybe switch out the beef for buffalo or ground poultry a couple times a week and you need roughage. A salad a day will do.
aceofspades
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 4:10:47 PM permalink

I'd substitute a different powder shake for the Muscle Milk. I don't hear many good things about it. Slimfast or my personal favorite, 310 Shakes , will serve you better.
That doesn't sound like a very substantial diet. Maybe switch out the beef for buffalo or ground poultry a couple times a week and you need roughage. A salad a day will do.

I use the premixed MM shakes (100 calorie version) and usually add in some cold brew coffee for a boost

I have used ground turkey (93%) but, considering I am taking in barely any carbs, the fat is where the energy will come from so can't really go 99% lean chicken or turkey
OnceDear
OnceDear
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 4:13:50 PM permalink

Those are my meals
4 shakes at 100 calories each
2 servings of ½ pound lean beef with BBQ sauce and dijon mustard
(occasionally I throw in 2 scrambled eggs with hot sauce)

Hmmmm I might try that after some minor adjustment...

swap out the 4 shakes for 6 shots of JD
Then swap out one of the portions of lean beef for 8 measures of JD
and for supper
swap out the other portion of beef for a 1/2pint of beer and a couple of measures of JD.

Breakfast... 4 paracetamol and 2 Zantac

Ah... I overdid the carbs, didn't I?
Back to the drawing board.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
aceofspades
June 24th, 2018 at 4:20:07 PM permalink
Breakfast is over rated. Sleeping to the crack of noon eliminates it and lets you add 50% more calories to Happy Hour.
billryan
billryan
June 24th, 2018 at 4:26:27 PM permalink
I have very little personal knowledge about dieting. I have figured out too many calories and too little exercise is not a good combo and am working on that from both ends.

My friend, who is pretty much a self taught expert, who is in his 50s and may have zero body fat told me that something in Muscle Milk plays havoc on the kidneys long term. Not sure if the health community supports that, but I trust him. He turned me on to the 310 shakes.
OnceDear
OnceDear
June 24th, 2018 at 4:34:52 PM permalink

I have very little personal knowledge about dieting. I have figured out too many calories and too little exercise is not a good combo and am working on that from both ends.

My friend, who is pretty much a self taught expert, who is in his 50s and may have zero body fat told me that something in Muscle Milk plays havoc on the kidneys long term. Not sure if the health community supports that, but I trust him. He turned me on to the 310 shakes.

I feel vindicated swapping out the shakes
$:o)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
June 24th, 2018 at 4:34:59 PM permalink
I think shake type diets work pretty well, but like a lot of diets it may not lead to sustainable weight loss in the longer run. But then that is often the result of much dieting, so not a unique issue.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: