Thread Rating:

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:28:04 AM permalink
The PM privacy rule is pretty straightforward:
If you said it in PM, you can repeat it elsewhere. It's your secret; share it if you wish.
If you heard it in PM, you're supposed to keep it private. It's not your secret, you don't get to decide who to break it to.

I don't know exactly where the consequences fall on a scale of divulging state secrets to breaking a pinky-swear, but I'm sure we'll figure it out if needs be.
May the cards fall in your favor.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:29:40 AM permalink
Quote: MDawg

Your story is a instructive in two ways, as what not to do and what to do. What not to do is to let yourself get homeless in the first place, through inability to reposition when the paradigm shifts. What to do would be in figuring out how to do something entirely different to get off the streets.
link to original post

Your what not to do is meaningless. People often find themselves homeless without intentions. I imagine all the people in war torn areas will feel insulted because they did everything to avoid homelessness only to discover themselves on the run from an invading power.

That wasn't my reason but I am just making a point that it's sometimes easier said than done to avoid it.

Anyway now this thread is being pulled into another off topic discussion so let's move on.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
Thanked by
100xOdds
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:31:29 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

You allude to that you ride the bus and have no car in your signature. Some might take that to mean that you're proud and wish to make a point of your no car heritage which would include the subway. You certainly freely discuss your homeless era in many posts over the years including recently.
link to original post

That is correct.

That doesn't mean it's open fodder for insults.

Similar to if a person was obese and is chronicling dieting that doesn't mean insulting his weight issues is now open season.

If you remember I got suspended for your proud boasts of ketchup bottle collection. We are all here sharing a bit of our lives.

I will admit I too am a guilty of it. I mention EB's candle light living from time to time. But I am not making the moderator decisions. I didn't complain about the homeless insult. I only complained about the inferior cerebellum insult which is an insult of a different nature.
link to original post

An insult regarding your cerebellum would have more relevance to your balance and breathing than your intellect. So is a cerebellar joke that much of an insult?

Getting back on point. EB was clearly and unequivocally insulting DO. But I wouldn’t suspend him for that. I’d nuke him for the continuous trolling of the forum with ridiculous roulette claims that are patently false.
darkoz
darkoz
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:31:43 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

If you said it in PM, you can repeat it elsewhere. It's your secret; share it if you wish.
If you heard it in PM, you're supposed to keep it private. It's not your secret, you don't get to decide who to break it to.

I don't know exactly where the consequences fall on a scale of divulging state secrets to breaking a pinky-swear, but I'm sure we'll figure it out if needs be.
link to original post

I apologize if I crossed the line. I mentioned nothing specific that wasn't divulged by you in later posts.

I was trying to give some clarity to a question that caused a few pages of debate.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:36:40 AM permalink

Quote: Dieter

link to original post

I apologize if I crossed the line. I mentioned nothing specific that wasn't divulged by you in later posts.

I was trying to give some clarity to a question that caused a few pages of debate.
link to original post

We're ok. I thought you expressed concern about you repeating something you said in a PM, which should usually be within your rights.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 40
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:39:24 AM permalink
Yes there's a former WOV member that basically if you send him or (unknowingly send) one of his many sock puppets a PM you might as well just publish it on the back page of the NYT because it will be disclosed. That guy divulges PMs on the regular.

But over here at WOV active forum members are pretty good about understanding the meaning of the word Private in PM.
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
darkoz
darkoz
August 3rd, 2023 at 9:53:50 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

You allude to that you ride the bus and have no car in your signature. Some might take that to mean that you're proud and wish to make a point of your no car heritage which would include the subway. You certainly freely discuss your homeless era in many posts over the years including recently.
link to original post

That is correct.

That doesn't mean it's open fodder for insults.

Similar to if a person was obese and is chronicling dieting that doesn't mean insulting his weight issues is now open season.

If you remember I got suspended for your proud boasts of ketchup bottle collection. We are all here sharing a bit of our lives.

I will admit I too am a guilty of it. I mention EB's candle light living from time to time. But I am not making the moderator decisions. I didn't complain about the homeless insult. I only complained about the inferior cerebellum insult which is an insult of a different nature.
link to original post

An insult regarding your cerebellum would have more relevance to your balance and breathing than your intellect. So is a cerebellar joke that much of an insult?

Getting back on point. EB was clearly and unequivocally insulting DO. But I wouldn’t suspend him for that. I’d nuke him for the continuous trolling of the forum with ridiculous roulette claims that are patently false.
link to original post

Sorry it may have been a cerebrum insult versus cerebellum. It was an insult to my brain power in relation to understanding roulette. Let's leave it at that.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
August 3rd, 2023 at 10:30:02 AM permalink

Bringing this subject back on topic.

AZ had derailed the discussion when asking why getting insulted by misgendering was more egregious than the insult about my using the subway which is what got EB suspended.

For the record the insult came out of nowhere in response to EB' roulette system. But there's more to it than that.

EB had lobbed a direct insult to me (paraphrasing here that I had a deformed cerebellum or something of that nature and was unable to learn as a result).

This was maybe three weeks ago. I notified Dieter by PM(I hope this doesn't violate discussion of PM but I am trying to give the current suspension some view) however Dieter notified me he was going through a private crisis he has since shared with us. Literally the next day Wizard announced he was going to be somewhat unavailable.

I didn't feel like burdening a now by himself Gordon and dropped it.

Later Gordon suspended EB for an insult to Axel which is literally on the same page of the thread as my insult. I didn't feel like asking for a "me too" so again I just didn't mention it.

So when Dieter came back and EB hurled yet another insult towards me about a homeless period in my life on the subway Dieters punishment had some history behind it.

So hopefully that answers some of the mystery questioning EB's current suspension.
link to original post

I did not derail it. I asked a valid question on suspensions. Other folks then went off topic instead of answering.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
billryan
billryan 
August 3rd, 2023 at 10:32:39 AM permalink
Pure gold. It's the other guy's fault. Again.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 3rd, 2023 at 10:38:15 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Pure gold. It's the other guy's fault. Again.
link to original post

This would carry some weight if you actually cited why you disagree
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 6th, 2023 at 11:28:11 AM permalink
Wow, a 7-Day suspension for something that I did not even mean as a personal insult. And from the PM'S I got supporting me others agreed that where was the insult that deserved a seven-day suspension. I can see three days if it was a real insult but 7 days? Really? I see people all the time say far far worse things and get three days so I don't know what's going on. Want to explain it, Dieter? How you arrived at that?
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
SOOPOOTigerWu
August 6th, 2023 at 12:10:12 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Wow, a 7-Day suspension for something that I did not even mean as a personal insult. And from the PM'S I got supporting me others agreed that where was the insult that deserved a seven-day suspension. I can see three days if it was a real insult but 7 days? Really? I see people all the time say far far worse things and get three days so I don't know what's going on. Want to explain it, Dieter? How you arrived at that?
link to original post

The basic criteria I use:
- Does the person this is directed at feel insulted?
- If it were directed at me, would I feel insulted?
- Even if it's not directed at me, do I feel contaminated for having overheard it?

Congratulations, nailed all the technicals and stuck the landing.

Your perception of what constitutes a serious insult obviously differs from mine.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 6th, 2023 at 12:57:48 PM permalink

link to original post

Classic EB!!! When a claim is made he always tries to shade it from examination. ‘PMs I got supporting me’. Why have none of those people supported you in open forum? Golly…. It’s not so tough to post…. “ I don’t think EB should have been suspended”.

I received over 1000 PMs telling me you should have been nuked instead of suspended! But alas, I’m forbidden from listing all those members. If I repeated what they said about you there would be hundreds of additional suspensions!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
August 6th, 2023 at 1:07:03 PM permalink
you posted this after Dieter disclosed his very difficult situation

it is disgusting - even if you meant it in jest - you should have been permanently banned for this post imo - 7/29 - 6:56 - see link

who do you think you are to post something like this____________?

"It's part of the punishment for whatever you did to yourself to get in your present situation. Just say Yes dear, I understand dear, I'm sure you're right dear, a lot. And pretend like you have to take a lot of naps. And have no guns nearby, not even in the same room. Just because you will want to kill yourself doesn't mean you should."

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/tables/2285-can-roulette-be-beaten/76/#post894480

Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2023 at 1:19:50 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

it is disgusting - even if you meant it in jest - you should have been permanently banned for this post imo - 7/29 - 6:56 - see link

"It's part of the punishment for whatever you did to yourself to get in your present situation. Just say Yes dear, I understand dear, I'm sure you're right dear, a lot. And pretend like you have to take a lot of naps. And have no guns nearby, not even in the same room. Just because you will want to kill yourself doesn't mean you should."

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/tables/2285-can-roulette-be-beaten/76/#post894480

link to original post

And I received a PM from Dieter about this very post and he seemed just fine with it. I can't tell you exactly what he said because that's against the rules but nowhere in the PM did he even hint that he was upset, in fact it was quite the opposite. If he gives permission I will post exactly what it said. My intent was to be ironic and humorous and he gave the impression that's how he took it.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 6th, 2023 at 1:21:43 PM permalink

link to original post

And I received a PM from Dieter about this very post and he seemed just fine with it. I can't tell you exactly what he said because that's against the rules but nowhere in the PM did he even hint that he was upset, in fact it was quite the opposite. If he gives permission I will post exactly what it said. My intent was to be ironic and humorous and he gave the impression that's how he took it.
link to original post

irrelevant

what is relevant - that post sucked - big time - really disgusting - what a sick sense of humor

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2023 at 1:37:03 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

irrelevant

what is relevant - that post sucked - big time - really disgusting - what a sick sense of humor

link to original post

But then according to you every post I make sucks, so why should that one be any different. You constantly chastise me on my posts, and you found another one you didn't like? Oh no, I'm distraught.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
August 6th, 2023 at 1:41:51 PM permalink
Let me try to straighten out this discussion.

I agreed with the common opinion that EB 's post-surgery post to Dieter was in terrible taste, discourteous and hurtful. Common decency would require that we should be supportive to a friend/acquaintence who has just gone through this kind of ordeal; I was disappointed that EB had made such a post.

I did receive more than one PM requesting that I suspend or nuke EB for making that post.

However, if we nuked people simply for being nasty, then there would be no social media. EB's comment did not qualify as a rules violation.

I consulted with other moderators (namely Dieter on post-operative pain killers). There was no support amongst the (two) moderators for suspending EB.

Since then, EB has indeed explained that he was joking. Given that, I've encouraged him to consider making an apology to Dieter. I'll let EB explain his own position on that.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
August 6th, 2023 at 2:19:57 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Let me try to straighten out this discussion.

I agreed with the common opinion that EB 's post-surgery post to Dieter was in terrible taste, discourteous and hurtful. Common decency would require that we should be supportive to a friend/acquaintence who has just gone through this kind of ordeal; I was disappointed that EB had made such a post.

I did receive more than one PM requesting that I suspend or nuke EB for making that post.

However, if we nuked people simply for being nasty, then there would be no social media. EB's comment did not qualify as a rules violation.

I consulted with other moderators (namely Dieter on post-operative pain killers). There was no support amongst the (two) moderators for suspending EB.

Since then, EB has indeed explained that he was joking. Given that, 𝙄'𝙫𝙚 𝙚𝙣𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙜𝙚𝙙 𝙝𝙞𝙢 𝙩𝙤 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙨𝙞𝙙𝙚𝙧 𝙢𝙖𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙣 𝙖𝙥𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙮 𝙩𝙤 𝘿𝙞𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙧.

nobody should hold their breath waiting for an apology

that's not going to happen

how about that EB - people other than just me thought your post really sucked

EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2023 at 3:25:34 PM permalink

nobody should hold their breath waiting for an apology

that's not going to happen

how about that EB - people other than just me thought your post really sucked
link to original post

Oh no, now I'm disquieted and distraught. I forgot we're supposed to go through life trying to please everyone around us, what an incredible burden that must be for you. I live my life somewhat differently. I was being ironic and humorous in that post and I stand by that. That you see it differently is not my problem.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2023 at 5:33:55 PM permalink

Which part did you think was funny?
link to original post

When you have to start explaining what ironic humor means, you might be playing to the wrong crowd.

"Irony is the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning. It is a technique of indicating an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated."

I just know you're going to now ask to explain THAT to you, but I'm afraid you're on your own.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
EvenBob
August 7th, 2023 at 2:36:09 AM permalink

Classic EB!!! When a claim is made he always tries to shade it from examination. ‘PMs I got supporting me’. Why have none of those people supported you in open forum? Golly…. It’s not so tough to post…. “ I don’t think EB should have been suspended”.

Have you never taken the not popular/not PC/not whatever side of something and had someone quietly say they support you but they hesitate to do so in public? I have. Most people do not want to rock the boat.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
August 8th, 2023 at 10:05:54 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Have you never taken the not popular/not PC/not whatever side of something and had someone quietly say they support you but they hesitate to do so in public? I have. Most people do not want to rock the boat.
link to original post

Of course. Happens all the time. I’m sure there are some that don’t want him nuked for a variety of reasons. I’d be too embarrassed to support his roulette claims in open forum. But knowing they are hogwash and wanting him suspended are two separate issues.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2023 at 11:01:30 AM permalink

I’d be too embarrassed to support his roulette claims in open forum. But knowing they are hogwash and wanting him suspended are two separate issues.
link to original post

You know nothing about this and you just continue to embarrass yourself by posting about it.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
TigerWuAxelWolfrsactuaryOnceDearrawtuff
August 8th, 2023 at 11:21:28 AM permalink

I’d be too embarrassed to support his roulette claims in open forum. But knowing they are hogwash and wanting him suspended are two separate issues.
link to original post

You know nothing about this and you just continue to embarrass yourself by posting about it.
link to original post

I know all about it. As does the vast majority of active forum posters. You fool no one. And you know it. You’ve dug a hole so deep with your ridiculous claims that you are left to claw at the walls trying to escape. (I like that picture). You do not win at roulette. Never paid your bills from roulette. FACTS.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
August 8th, 2023 at 12:58:14 PM permalink

link to original post

I remember you saying something about not caring if you get suspended you just take your suspension and deal with it and not make a ruckus. I guess things have changed.

You aren't not the only person who feels as if they were unfairly suspended. Many have been suspended unfairly and some have been given too much leeway. Deal with it.

Whatever the case, you were only suspended for 3 days prior and that should have been for a week. Suspensions are supposed to be loosely based on matiangale so you did get the correct amount of time.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
August 8th, 2023 at 2:41:30 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Whatever the case, you were only suspended for 3 days prior and that should have been for a week. Suspensions are supposed to be loosely based on matiangale so you did get the correct amount of time.

In thirteen years here I think I have been suspended twice. The first one I thought was ridiculous "If you can't spot the sucker at the poker table, you are probably the sucker". The second time I was told I could avoid a suspension by apologizing, but I refused.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Thanked by
odiousgambit
August 8th, 2023 at 3:19:52 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

In thirteen years here I think I have been suspended twice. The first one I thought was ridiculous "If you can't spot the sucker at the poker table, you are probably the sucker". The second time I was told I could avoid a suspension by apologizing, but I refused.
link to original post

Reminds me of a joke…. I called someone stupid and was told to avoid a suspension I’d have to say I was sorry. So I said…. I’m sorry he is stupid…..
billryan
billryan 
August 8th, 2023 at 3:37:15 PM permalink
I got suspended for quoting a very popular song. It was when I realized how out of touch the mods were. It was kind of amusing.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2023 at 3:47:30 PM permalink

I know all about it. As does the vast majority of active forum posters. You fool no one. And you know it. You’ve dug a hole so deep with your ridiculous claims that you are left to claw at the walls trying to escape. (I like that picture). You do not win at roulette. Never paid your bills from roulette. FACTS.
link to original post

I love it when people mistake wishful thinking for 'facts'. Someone should tell you that wishing and hoping does not make it true. LOL
billryan
billryan 
August 8th, 2023 at 3:55:15 PM permalink

link to original post

I love it when people mistake wishful thinking for 'facts'. Someone should tell you that wishing and hoping does not make it true. LOL
link to original post

I dunno. We wished the roulette thread into the cornfield, didn't we?
If I can dream it, then I can be it.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
August 8th, 2023 at 4:04:11 PM permalink

I got suspended for quoting a very popular song. It was when I realized how out of touch the mods were. It was kind of amusing.
link to original post

IIRCC AZD got suspended for innocently using a well known trick question. "have you beat your wife lately" or some version of that.

Apparently some people never heard of it and they didn't get it, however a quick Google search would have helped them understand.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Thanked by
ams288
August 8th, 2023 at 4:30:44 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

You have been given multiple different methods of providing proof. You claimed a few times now you were going to provide some evidence. You were given Mike's full attention and an opportunity to show evidence. It seems like that was such an embarrassing failure you wouldn't discuss what happened with that or allow him to.

you haven't provided one iota of proof that you can/do/have or will beat/win at be ahead at roulette.

You are claiming something that's impossible under the conditions you have indicated/described therfore its not true until you provide proof. You know you can't therefore you don't. You just pretend you want to show proof. It's super duper easy to provide evidence but you make it complicated and refuse any logical or easy way to do so.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2023 at 5:29:08 PM permalink

You have been given multiple different methods of providing proof.
link to original post

How big of you, I'll have to put you on my Christmas list. The roulette thread is dead, isn't that what you wanted? Or just keep talking it into the ground forever.
Last edited by: EvenBob on Aug 8, 2023
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
EvenBob
August 8th, 2023 at 6:04:13 PM permalink

link to original post

How big of you, I'll have to put you on my Christmas list. The roulette threat is dead, isn't that what you wanted? Or just keep talking it into the ground forever.
link to original post

I'm inclined to agree.
Please let the roulette thread die with dignity.
EvenBob has clearly done his part in this; the rest of us should similarly let it go.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
August 8th, 2023 at 7:49:33 PM permalink

link to original post

How big of you, I'll have to put you on my Christmas list. The roulette thread is dead, isn't that what you wanted? Or just keep talking it into the ground forever.
link to original post

I didn't want it dead, therfore, I didn't vote(I think). You obviously thought that was your only way out of your BS claims. That's why you gave only 2 options. You knew most people would have voted that way given ONLY 2 options. You 100% know how people feel about your BS roulette system. Had you asked if you should have to provide evidence and included the other 2 options, I bet you would have had one of the biggest votes ever to prove your claims. It's actually sad that you are so easily figured out and read like a book... its almost predictable(guessable) how you actuality think.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 8th, 2023 at 9:00:39 PM permalink

I didn't want it dead,
link to original post

What does that have to do with anything. What you want is irrelevant, everybody else wanted it gone.
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
TigerWu
August 8th, 2023 at 10:01:36 PM permalink

I didn't want it dead,
link to original post

What does that have to do with anything. What you want is irrelevant, everybody else wanted it gone.
link to original post

And yet here you are discussing it
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 9th, 2023 at 4:11:50 AM permalink

link to original post

IIRCC AZD got suspended for innocently using a well known trick question. "have you beat your wife lately" or some version of that.

Apparently some people never heard of it and they didn't get it, however a quick Google search would have helped them understand.
link to original post

You beat me to my own story! Yes, I answered a loaded political question with simply "Have you stopped beating your wife." Not only did the poster have no clue about that question, which I could not believe, but they whined in public about it. Several people came to my defense saying in effect, ":Bo, they guy asked your loaded question with the most classic loaded question to make a point!"

IIRC the mod who pulled the trigger at least once and maybe twice got suspended for insulting me so make your own decisions on bias. I later asked the same mod to recuse themselves on me and the mod refused.

Your point on the google search should be noted by all. If something seems totally weird search it. A poster here also thought my sig was "about my feelings on minorities" somehow. Even when someone else told them where it was from they doubled down on it. But both things are a lesson on people missing points and why it is good to be well read to avoid doing that.
darkoz
darkoz
August 9th, 2023 at 5:08:16 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

link to original post

You beat me to my own story! Yes, I answered a loaded political question with simply "Have you stopped beating your wife." Not only did the poster have no clue about that question, which I could not believe, but they whined in public about it. Several people came to my defense saying in effect, ":Bo, they guy asked your loaded question with the most classic loaded question to make a point!"

IIRC the mod who pulled the trigger at least once and maybe twice got suspended for insulting me so make your own decisions on bias. I later asked the same mod to recuse themselves on me and the mod refused.

Your point on the google search should be noted by all. If something seems totally weird search it. A poster here also thought my sig was "about my feelings on minorities" somehow. Even when someone else told them where it was from they doubled down on it. But both things are a lesson on people missing points and why it is good to be well read to avoid doing that.
link to original post

I never heard of it. I don't suggest using it in NYC. You are more likely to get punched in the face than a yes or no answer.

The "classic" question when used is still clearly an insult (I didn't realize if an insult is classic it was now acceptable) it's usage was to trap someone into admitting an insulting fault. How can asking someone if they still beat their wife not be insulting?

Furthermore it's usage and then resultant shock at a person's knowledge base turns it into a compound insult. "That's why it helps to be well read" OK so after using the "classic" insult you double down with an insult into one's education.

"It's not rocket science" is a classic insult. And probably would pass the WOV rules as written but it clearly implies someone doesn't understand something. You shouldn't use that line as well.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
August 9th, 2023 at 6:08:54 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I make it a habit of NOT googling anything Duffman spouts here. I don’t want to end up on an FBI watchlist or something…
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 9th, 2023 at 6:22:26 AM permalink
If any form of "Are you still beating your wife." is okay, I may start using it. But I don't think it is. "Have you stopped welching on your bets?" "Have you stopped cheating your friends?" "Have you started changing your underwear?"
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 9th, 2023 at 7:08:33 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If any form of "Are you still beating your wife." is okay, I may start using it. But I don't think it is. "Have you stopped welching on your bets?" "Have you stopped cheating your friends?" "Have you started changing your underwear?"
link to original post

Correct answers:

1. Not married.
2. I do not gamble.
3. What friends?
4. I don't wear undies.

tuttigym
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 9th, 2023 at 8:55:34 AM permalink

link to original post

These are all great because of the implications involved. If you don't do any of those things the question is unanswerable without getting you in trouble.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 9th, 2023 at 8:57:03 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

Correct answers:

1. Not married.
2. I do not gamble.
3. What friends?
4. I don't wear undies.

tuttigym
link to original post

The questions are always asked in the context of where you can't explain them, you have to answer either yes or no. Like if you're on the witness stand.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
August 9th, 2023 at 9:13:04 AM permalink

The questions are always asked in the context of where you can't explain them, you have to answer either yes or no. Like if you're on the witness stand.
link to original post

Which is funny because if you were actually asked those on the witness stand you couldn't legally answer yes OR no because you would be perjuring yourself either way. You would legally HAVE to explain it.
darkoz
darkoz
August 9th, 2023 at 9:49:17 AM permalink

link to original post

Correct answers:

1. Not married.
2. I do not gamble.
3. What friends?
4. I don't wear undies.

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

You can always explain yourself on the witness stand. It's the person asking the question demanding a yes or no as a response. Not the witness stand itself.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 9th, 2023 at 11:07:12 AM permalink

link to original post

Correct answers:

1. Not married.
2. I do not gamble.
3. What friends?
4. I don't wear undies.

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

You can always explain yourself on the witness stand. It's the person asking the question demanding a yes or no as a response. Not the witness stand itself.
link to original post

I love it when people appreciate nothing and have to over explain even the simplest things. Never mind..
darkoz
darkoz
August 9th, 2023 at 11:10:53 AM permalink

link to original post

Correct answers:

1. Not married.
2. I do not gamble.
3. What friends?
4. I don't wear undies.

tuttigym
link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I love it when people appreciate nothing and have to over explain even the simplest things. Never mind..
link to original post

Then explain yourself properly.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 9th, 2023 at 11:35:13 AM permalink

Quote:

I never heard of it. I don't suggest using it in NYC. You are more likely to get punched in the face than a yes or no answer.

That is why I like being well-read. You hear about this kind of thing. You don't go off half-cocked when someone says it. For a real life example, did you ever hear about the city councilman who screamed "racist" when another compared a city department to a black hole? Guy never heard the term, which I cannot believe. Same thing happened here when the poster complained.

Quote:

The "classic" question when used is still clearly an insult (I didn't realize if an insult is classic it was now acceptable) it's usage was to trap someone into admitting an insulting fault. How can asking someone if they still beat their wife not be insulting?

Not how it was used. It was used to say "I am not playing little games with your loaded questions."

Quote:

Furthermore it's usage and then resultant shock at a person's knowledge base turns it into a compound insult. "That's why it helps to be well read" OK so after using the "classic" insult you double down with an insult into one's education.

"It's not rocket science" is a classic insult. And probably would pass the WOV rules as written but it clearly implies someone doesn't understand something. You shouldn't use that line as well.
link to original post

It is not a compound insult because there was not a first insult. It is more saying "quit waiting to be offended."
  • Jump to: