Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
July 31st, 2023 at 4:12:53 PM permalink
In Gandhi, a Hindu man who confesses to killing a Muslim was told that only adopting a Muslim boy and raising him in Islam could atone for the man's past.
But I digress...
EB isn't here to defend himself, so I propose OD to act as our forums Devils Advocate.

Just in case anyone missed my view on shutting down threads when someone is suspended- I think it is incredibly shortsighted and poorly thought out.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
July 31st, 2023 at 4:22:27 PM permalink
We can always count on AZDuffman to say the quiet part out loud without an ounce of shame....lol

Quote: AZDuffman

If a person is biological male you call him "he."
If they are biological female you call her "she."

This is taught in first grade in the USA.

Anything else is not "misgendering."
link to original post

You know you're allowed to keep learning things past the first grade, right?
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
July 31st, 2023 at 4:24:25 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

In Gandhi, a Hindu man who confesses to killing a Muslim was told that only adopting a Muslim boy and raising him in Islam could atone for the man's past.
But I digress...
EB isn't here to defend himself, so I propose OD to act as our forums Devils Advocate.

Just in case anyone missed my view on shutting down threads when someone is suspended- I think it is incredibly shortsighted and poorly thought out.
link to original post

But it wasn't shut down because EB was suspended.

It was shut down because EB couldn't defend himself while suspended and that PARTICULAR thread was about only going to devolve into complaints against EB because the thread was solely about a gambling system most forum members have an issue with not to mention EB claims it's all in his head (but affecting the real world).

So this isn't a sudden policy to shut down threads people started while they are suspended
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 31st, 2023 at 4:24:33 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

. The Wizard retires in two years, three years tops.

Did Mike say that or is their some other basis for the claim, e.g. "I'm done fulfilling my contractual obligation with the buyer's of the forum, now i am free?"
"What, me worry?"
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
Thanked by
Dieter
July 31st, 2023 at 4:28:11 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

Gotta take the under. The Wizard retires in two years, three years tops. You have to figure a transfer of power like that will come with some big changes.
link to original post

wait.. what?!
why is he quitting??
link to original post

Travel the world. He's been discussing this on the livestream. Here's a typical example below. Note that his target date is now less than two years away.

[edit] In this one he discusses the future of the websites...
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
July 31st, 2023 at 4:29:17 PM permalink
I think it's because the southwest runs out of water.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
July 31st, 2023 at 5:49:30 PM permalink

Gotta take the under. The Wizard retires in two years, three years tops. You have to figure a transfer of power like that will come with some big changes.
link to original post

wait.. what?!
why is he quitting??
link to original post

[edit] In this one he discusses the future of the websites...

link to original post

summary for those who dont watch youtube?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
July 31st, 2023 at 8:47:57 PM permalink
On the video, Mike was asked about whether the Wizard of Odds website will close down when he eventually retires. Mike said no, but that he has never discussed with the owner whether he would be replaced by a single person or by a crew of people. He then went on to say that he would probably still stay involved in discussions of gambling on his forums but might no longer remain as a moderator.

Who would replace Mike as lead moderator in this futuristic scenario? There is no early line on the notional post-retirement lead moderator. But surely the leading candidates might be EvenBob, BillRyan and Nathan.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
August 1st, 2023 at 1:11:52 AM permalink

link to original post

Thanks Bill,
Are you proposing that I argue the side that EB would have argued? I think I understand his side of the debate well enough, so I volunteer to do so if the thread reopens.
I'LL DO IT!
I would faithfully argue the case that Roulette can be beaten and IS beaten by EvenBob on a regular basis by his making educated guesses on the even money bets.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2023 at 2:44:11 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Those are not the rules of this forum.

They are rules of proper English.

Quote:

I'm not going to even get into how socially inept it is to insist on insulting someone because of personal homophobia.

Truth is not a defense to insulting someone. It's been long established on this forum.
link to original post

Proper English is not insulting someone. It is proper English. If people can demand to be addressed a certain way then from now on please address me as "Your Majesty" as I identify as the King of France and demand that you stop insulting me by not addressing me as how I identify, So, will you follow your own standard and stop insulting me?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
rsactuary
August 1st, 2023 at 3:54:41 AM permalink

Quote:

I'm not going to even get into how socially inept it is to insist on insulting someone because of personal homophobia.

Truth is not a defense to insulting someone. It's been long established on this forum.
link to original post

Proper English is not insulting someone. It is proper English. If people can demand to be addressed a certain way then from now on please address me as "Your Majesty" as I identify as the King of France and demand that you stop insulting me by not addressing me as how I identify, So, will you follow your own standard and stop insulting me?
link to original post

This is the strangest response I have ever seen on this subject.

Rules of proper English (syntax and proper use of verbs and nouns) having to do with whether someone can be insulted by not using the name they PREFER?

Are you saying that if in his prime you were in the same room with Muhammad Ali you would have called him Cassius Clay to his face and stated he doesn't get to call himself what he wants?

You would refuse to call a judge "Your Honor"? (And trust me there are plenty of judges that don't deserve to be called honorable) because they weren't born that way?

And don't argue they earned that right. Transgender people work quite hard to maintain their lifestyle and certainly your ridiculous argument about kings and royalty fails on the working hard to obtain level when they did nothing but draw the lottery of sperm donation.

(Not to mention that no one is even born "Your Majesty". By AZ argument he would have refused to call Grace Kelly Your Highness because it wasn't proper English due to her not being born royalty.

SMH
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
August 1st, 2023 at 4:39:58 AM permalink

Quote:

link to original post

link to original post

Hazardous example, what with the French monarchy being abolished over 200 years ago and the last Bourbon monarchs being fed to the guillotine.

I'd have to check the rules, but not being a subject of that monarchy, I believe my use of Majestic stylings to be optional.

May the cards fall in your favor.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
rsactuary
August 1st, 2023 at 6:14:14 AM permalink

link to original post

What exactly are you doing to transition to becoming the King of France? Are you going to lead a revolution to overthrow the government? Are you going to marry into the remnants of the claimants to the throne? Have you actually been medically diagnosed as a monarch? Because for your analogy to work, you can't just say, "I'm the King of France." That's not how being trans works, and the fact that you think it is just shows your supreme ignorance on the subject.

Then again, your ignorance is not surprising, since you seem to be claiming your knowledge of human sexuality stopped after the first grade. But really, you should probably stop posting about this, because you're just embarrassing yourself.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2023 at 6:35:09 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

What exactly are you doing to transition to becoming the King of France? Are you going to lead a revolution to overthrow the government? Are you going to marry into the remnants of the claimants to the throne? Have you actually been medically diagnosed as a monarch? Because for your analogy to work, you can't just say, "I'm the King of France." That's not how being trans works, and the fact that you think it is just shows your supreme ignorance on the subject.

Then again, your ignorance is not surprising, since you seem to be claiming your knowledge of human sexuality stopped after the first grade. But really, you should probably stop posting about this, because you're just embarrassing yourself.
link to original post

I don’t have to transition as I identify as King of France. I do not accept the revolution. So please show respect and address me as Your Majesty.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 1st, 2023 at 7:24:13 AM permalink

I don’t have to transition as I identify as King of France. I do not accept the revolution. So please show respect and address me as Your Majesty.
link to original post

I'm fine with that.

Last edited by: rxwine on Aug 1, 2023
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2023 at 7:24:27 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The last paragraph is a worse insult than EB supposedly said. I’m not saying I’m just saying.
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
rsactuary
August 1st, 2023 at 7:32:37 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The last paragraph is a worse insult than EB supposedly said. I’m not saying I’m just saying.
link to original post

But it was you who cited the first grade as your knowledge on this subject and it was you who stated if it's true it's not an insult.

Just saying.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
TigerWu
August 1st, 2023 at 7:41:28 AM permalink
His/ Her / Its Majesty has been insulted!

Woe to he / she / it that dares to insult the Sun King, most especially when His / Her / Its Majesty brings the fact of the slur to our attention.

Drawing and quartering will not assuage the pain caused to Him / Her / It, but by Royal Decree so it shall be.
"What, me worry?"
TigerWu
TigerWu
August 1st, 2023 at 7:51:20 AM permalink
rxwine
rxwine
August 1st, 2023 at 8:00:54 AM permalink
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
TigerWu
TigerWu
August 1st, 2023 at 8:14:39 AM permalink
I found an image from the last Wizard Forum meetup in Vegas. Anybody know which one AZDuffman is in this picture? I want to make sure I'm properly addressing the correct royal.......

100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
August 1st, 2023 at 8:18:10 AM permalink
Hey Mods

Can you chop off AZDuff's recent posts here into it's own thread?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
darkoz
darkoz
August 1st, 2023 at 8:49:06 AM permalink

Hey Mods

Can you chop off AZDuff's recent posts here into it's own thread?
link to original post

While I agree, we already had a transgender role thread and it was closed after a few days. The mods did let us vent.

I don't believe the intent was for us to continue with yet another thread in the future.
darkoz
darkoz
August 1st, 2023 at 8:52:31 AM permalink
For me personally the best thing about EB's suspension is it removed him temporarily from top contributors.

That moved me up from number 10 to 9 and placed DRich behind me at 10 and I now can see that DRich is only 170 or so posts behind me.

Time to start posting more before I get overtaken.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
TigerWu
August 1st, 2023 at 8:57:28 AM permalink
I firmly believe in allowing people to show how ignorant they are. Some folks seem to think it is a cottage industry.
Why engage them when they do such a bang-up job on their own.
I was taught ignorance was bad, but some here chose to wear it as a badge of honor.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2023 at 9:46:57 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Three-day suspension for TigerWu for a personal insult.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
billryan
billryan
August 1st, 2023 at 9:55:16 AM permalink
And the circle, it goes round and round. And the painted ponies go up and down. We're captured on a Carousel of life. We can't escape, we can only look behind at where we are, and go round and round and round in the circle game.

If the mods insist on turning this place into a joke, they might at least throw some humor into the mix.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
Thanked by
ChumpChangeMukkerainman
August 1st, 2023 at 10:15:35 AM permalink
"The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don't make sense...

There are people who, no matter how much evidence and evidence we present to them, are not in the capacity to understand, and others are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and all they want is to be right even if they are not.

When ignorance screams, intelligence is silent. Because peace and quietness are worth more."
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
August 1st, 2023 at 10:36:11 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

"The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don't make sense...

There are people who, no matter how much evidence and evidence we present to them, are not in the capacity to understand, and others are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and all they want is to be right even if they are not.

When ignorance screams, intelligence is silent. Because peace and quietness are worth more."
link to original post

Authors of the above quotes and possibly context??

tuttigym
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 1st, 2023 at 11:01:34 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

I don’t know the author….. but the ‘context’ is a clear reference to EvenBob and his silly claims. That we should be smart enough to ignore them. It is as clear a personal insult as there can be. But shrouded with a generally transparent cloud of not mentioning an actual name.

As I’ve stated many times before, many times there is NO WAY to disagree with someone without it being a ‘personal insult’. Last week I hit 38 consecutive free throws, and more impressively, had a streak of 16/17 from the top of the key. If you say you don’t believe me, isn’t that a personal insult?
My claim is simple. Saying you don’t believe me IS saying I’m a liar!

My point being MOST personal insults should be tolerated here. Like the Supreme Court ruling on pornography, I’ll know a suspension worthy personal insult when I see one!
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 1st, 2023 at 11:17:25 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

https://www.sophanseng.info/2021/07/when-ignorance-screams-intelligence-is-silent/

When ignorance screams, intelligence is silent
Posted by: Leadership Skills | Posted on: July 22, 2021

DON’T ARGUE WITH DONKEYS (Fable)

The donkey said to the tiger:
– “The grass is blue”.

The tiger replied:
– “No, the grass is green.”

The discussion heated up, and the two decided to submit him to arbitration, and for this they went before the lion, the King of the Jungle.

Already before reaching the forest clearing, where the lion was sitting on his throne, the donkey began to shout:
– “His Highness, is it true that the grass is blue?”.

The lion replied:
– “True, the grass is blue.”

The donkey hurried and continued:
– “The tiger disagrees with me and contradicts and annoys me, please punish him.”

The king then declared:
– “The tiger will be punished with 5 years of silence.”

The donkey jumped cheerfully and went on his way, content and repeating:
– “The Grass Is Blue”…

The tiger accepted his punishment, but before he asked the lion:
– “Your Majesty, why have you punished me?, after all, the grass is green.”

The lion replied:
– “In fact, the grass is green.”

The tiger asked:
– “So why are you punishing me?”.

The lion replied:
– “That has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because it is not possible for a brave and intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with a donkey, and on top of that come and bother me with that question.”

The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don’t make sense… There are people who, no matter how much evidence and evidence we present to them, are not in the capacity to understand, and others are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and all they want is to be right even if they are not.

I suggest that Gordon has just drawn comparison with a couple of obvious members with ignorant donkeys.
Does that warrant a suspension for Gordon for personal insult?
Or is it a tacit admission that certain members ARE ignorant donkeys?
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
August 1st, 2023 at 11:23:02 AM permalink
From an interview I conducted in 1999 for a job as an assistant manager at a club I was running. It's not word for word , but the description is accurate.

Me: Tell me about your last job.
Him: Ownership was absent; he didn't set a direction. He'd come in and say he wants this done, but not tell us how or when it should be done. The business suffered because he was so lax.
Me:- So what was the best thing about your last job?
Him- I had the full run of the house, and could do anything I wanted. I made the schedules, was in charge and had no one looking over my shoulder.

Some won't get it. Which is my point.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 1st, 2023 at 11:54:27 AM permalink

From an interview I conducted in 1999 for a job as an assistant manager at a club I was running. It's not word for word , but the description is accurate.

Me: Tell me about your last job.
Him: Ownership was absent; he didn't set a direction. He'd come in and say he wants this done, but not tell us how or when it should be done. The business suffered because he was so lax.
Me:- So what was the best thing about your last job?
Him- I had the full run of the house, and could do anything I wanted. I made the schedules, was in charge and had no one looking over my shoulder.

Some won't get it. Which is my point.
link to original post

We should be thankful that we have ignorant donkeys ? $:o)

Not that we are allowed to call them that.

Best thing about Wizard Of Vegas: It allows freedom of speech.
Worst thing about Wizard Of Vegas: It allows freedom of speech.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2023 at 2:27:38 PM permalink

"The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don't make sense... \

Sums up how I feel when I try to make a logical point on here. Which is why I had to make the point I made earlier today the way I made it.
darkoz
darkoz
August 1st, 2023 at 2:32:42 PM permalink

"The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who does not care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on arguments that don't make sense... \

Sums up how I feel when I try to make a logical point on here. Which is why I had to make the point I made earlier today the way I made it.
link to original post

Sorry I didn't see you make any logical point. I saw a point made with twisted logic that made no sense once everyone picked it apart.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2023 at 3:01:19 PM permalink

link to original post

Sorry I didn't see you make any logical point. I saw a point made with twisted logic that made no sense once everyone picked it apart.
link to original post

I did not use logic to make the point today because logic has been lost on the audience here who appear to not believe in science (you cannot change your gender) and rules of proper English (biological males get the pronoun "he.") Sol I used another method, one often used by the late Rush Limbaugh, kind of honoring him on the anniversary of the start of his show but that part just happened.

Well, if you look at the thread we had many of you agreeing with my point that "identifying" as something does not make you that thing. And by not calling me "his majesty" agreeing that it is OK to not call someone what they ask to be called just because they "identify" as such,

My point was made completely but one has to think on a plane higher than the mainstream population to see it.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 1st, 2023 at 3:35:08 PM permalink

My point was made completely but one has to think on a plane higher than the mainstream population to see it.
link to original post

link to original post

It seems that AZD identifies as the tiger in the fable.

Oh hum. It's his right to identify himself or believe of himself whatever he wishes. To deny his Majesty him that would be to apply double standards. *God only knows there's enough of those in this thread.

I choose to not think on a higher plane.

*Not that there is a God.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 1st, 2023 at 3:35:50 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I did not use logic to make the point today because logic has been lost on the audience here who appear to not believe in science (you cannot change your gender) and rules of proper English (biological males get the pronoun "he.") Sol I used another method, one often used by the late Rush Limbaugh, kind of honoring him on the anniversary of the start of his show but that part just happened.

Well, if you look at the thread we had many of you agreeing with my point that "identifying" as something does not make you that thing. And by not calling me "his majesty" agreeing that it is OK to not call someone what they ask to be called just because they "identify" as such,

link to original post

There is a difference between titles and pronoun use.

A title is requesting that some kind of honor or rank be recognized in every address to you. For example, I frequently call people, "Mr. X" and get corrected, "Please it is Dr. X," and normally I oblige (especially in a formal setting). I would probably oblige even if it was something unique like "please call me Arch-Count X." People do frequently request titles and to be addressed a certain way, and most people respect their wishes. But, this is very different than requesting to be reffered as a specific gender (pronoun usage.)

If somebody asks to be called Dr. X and it is clear Mr. X offends them, I do not first demand to see their transcripts proving that they have a Doctorate (or equivalent) degree. I take them at their word, could they all be lying about their title? Possibly, but that is their identity, and it is not my place to question it.

Titles are not a bad example because we all consistently adjust fire on our social interactions when people make title requests. And, in some cases we know that such requests are utter nonsense, but oblige anyway because we do not want to upset the person who feels that they should hold a title.

And, titles are completely a social invention (even ones with uniform training and academic standards are simply standards that we as a society developed and frequently change over time.) Nobody gets born as a Dr. even if both of their parents are Drs.

Dr. is the easy one (and probably one that we all experience regularly.) But some other examples are:
"Don't call me Ms. X call me Congressional Canidate X" (They ran for congress years ago and lost....)
"Don't call me Mr. X, call me Commissioner X" (They are a "Commissioner" on a local volunteer board which was not relevant to the interaction.)
"Most people in this neighborhood call me Elder X when they come on my land".
All of these titles are social inventions (with minimal basis in reality), but everyone else would oblige in the same position, because it is what humans do (also yes, all three examples are 100% real and not exaggerated.)

Now royalty I have an issue with, because I am against royalty in it's concept. But, if you truly felt and it was important to your identity that being called "your majesty" was critical, I would still probably oblige (like the other examples I would be skeptical), but if I felt it was important to your mental health, I would just roll with it. But, normally using Royal titles is something I would avoid on principle.
darkoz
darkoz
August 1st, 2023 at 3:38:23 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

It's funny how a lot of members with strange notions also think they are on a plane higher than others.

Your point was terribly flawed because historically people often ask to be called by a name they weren't born with

Do you believe Marion Morris should always be called Marion Morris because that was the name he was born with? (He changed his name to John Wayne)

You asked to be called the King of France. No one here did that because it's obvious you don't really want to be called the King of France. But if you truly wanted that moniker I would call you that

BTW, I expect you to continue calling me DarkOz. Guess what? I wasn't born with that name either.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2023 at 3:39:46 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

link to original post

Unfortunately most people do not. Some call them "normies."

On one hand that is why they call it the mainstream. OTOH, it is how evil people get and keep power.
OnceDear
OnceDear
August 1st, 2023 at 3:59:18 PM permalink

link to original post

On one hand that is why they call it the mainstream. OTOH, it is how evil people get and keep power.
link to original post

I respect your right to post here.

I give no respect to what you post. I give no respect to any views you express.

Whatever you choose to call me or my peers is irrelevant.
darkoz
darkoz
August 1st, 2023 at 4:02:34 PM permalink

And by not calling me "his majesty" agreeing that it is OK to not call someone what they ask to be called just because they "identify" as such,

link to original post

For those that didn't catch that, AZ is saying he identifies as "his Majesty".

Do you honestly wish people to call you that?

I personally don't care. It doesn't affect me to call you that if you truly wish because I actually don't wish to offend someone if they have a particular wish to be addressed a certain way.

I mean I call Mike Shackleford by the name Wizard. I don't tell him I refuse to call him the Wizard (which is neither a born name nor a name conferred by official rank).

So if you wish to be called His Majesty sure why not. (It probably will become a long running joke on here with everyone calling you his Majesty kind of like the Miata joke.).

(The other irony seemingly lost on AZ is that traditionally "Prince, King, and certainly Queen are monikers highly used in the homosexual community. But hey if he wants to be called His Majesty because that's the way he identifies so be it.)

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
August 1st, 2023 at 4:11:46 PM permalink

No, I am identifying as the King of France. "His Majesty" is how a king is addressed.

BTW, nothing gay about it. To say it is would be to say baseball pitchers and catchers are.......well, fill that in.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
August 1st, 2023 at 4:23:51 PM permalink

link to original post

This quote is taken verbatim from a fable, as Tuttigym has pointed out. The words are those of the fable authors. I posted it as a philosophy about why I choose not to respond to most of the criticism leveled at me. And, I picked this quote because it reflects what I have been preaching for a while - that some of the conversation in this forum is a boring and repetitive waste of time.

Does it apply to EvenBob and his critics or AlanMendelson and his critics? To MDawg and Kewlj? Did it apply to people arguing with PaiGowDan about BJ counters being cheaters? Does it apply to BillRyan and Dark Oz arguing about Leronimab? Does it apply to OnceDear? Does it apply to the Easy Math Problems Thread? To the Wordle Thread? To the Today's Casino News thread?

The answers to those questions are for each individual to consider for themselves. I am not calling out anyone specifically, I'm just stating some principles which underlie why I personally don't choose to be part of a WOV lynch mob nor to engage in some of the combative discussions on this forum.

"When ignorance screams, intelligence is silent. Because peace and quietness are worth more." That's my message.
darkoz
darkoz
August 1st, 2023 at 4:27:35 PM permalink

No, I am identifying as the King of France. "His Majesty" is how a king is addressed.

BTW, nothing gay about it. To say it is would be to say baseball pitchers and catchers are.......well, fill that in.
link to original post

That's fine your majesty.

There are plenty of Elvis impersonators and people who identify as Napoleon. If you believe you are the King of France that's not for me to insult you by calling you something else

What are your sovereign claims for the throne your majesty.

BTW, I didn't say it was gay. I pointed out an irony about it. Of course you would miss that.

More irony is you claiming to be insulted by not being called the King of France. So even you get insulted when not called what you wish. Some way to prove your point your majesty
rxwine
rxwine
August 1st, 2023 at 4:43:37 PM permalink
Question for mods.

Is it an insult to keep addressing someone here by other than their preferred address or not? Just to clear that up.

I imagined this site isn’t generally about gender confirmation.

(I assume no one is going get away with taking on an offending namesake, but more or less can choose how they want to be addressed)
rxwine
rxwine
August 1st, 2023 at 4:55:47 PM permalink
If you can’t use the address, a higher plane of thinking can figure out how to address a post to someone without using one at all. You quote the post, you mention the post as you talk about it and so forth. You don’t have to use their preferred address to do it.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
gordonm888
August 1st, 2023 at 4:57:03 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Question for mods.

Is it an insult to keep addressing someone here by other than their preferred address or not? Just to clear that up.

I imagined this site isn’t generally about gender confirmation.

(I assume no one is going get away with taking on an offending namesake, but more or less can choose how they want to be addressed)
link to original post

It depends.
Instances are considered case by case.

As much as this sounds like a chicken-scratch non-answer, there is more to it than is obvious at first blush.
If the intent is malicious, expect consequence.
If the effect is cruelty, expect consequence.

Try not to be a jerk.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
August 1st, 2023 at 5:12:35 PM permalink
I think the most ironic part is the only person in forum history to lodge a formal complaint about misgendering is somebody who thinks such speech should be beyond regulation.

Like, I think misgendering intentionally is childish (and potential cynical depending on context), but for me personally I really do not care. You can call me she and I will not lose sleep over it (I may actually be complimented and possibly aroused.)

The fact that the most vocal advocate of being able to misgender people for personal gratification, is literally the only person on the forum (not a single trans person cares), to be offended by misgendering is proving more points than a lifetime of mental spins. The fact that this point is being glossed over is lost on many.

It comes back to: all gender identity must be enforced or no gender identity must be enforced, it is as simple as that. If your view is anything different on an online forum, there is no point. You can't even make the "visual acuity and social dynamics " arguments, this is the internet, you have my username and my stated gender identity in my profile (which most members have not filled), so it is literally all a social make believe.

Lots of people disbelieve lots of claims by members. I personally have no issue with this (I am all for more free speech, not less.) But, it must be allowed across the board, not only when doing so is popular. If somebody is allowed to intentionally misgender people for a cheap laugh, then other members are allowed to refer to that poster as "her", it really is that simple, you can't have it both ways.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
August 1st, 2023 at 5:24:22 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I respect your right to post here.

I give no respect to what you post. I give no respect to any views you express.

Whatever you choose to call me or my peers is irrelevant.
link to original post

Just remember…. EQUALLY as irrelevant as any of your posts to him! By saying ‘any views you express’…. you lower your own standing. You think his views on what chicken wings are good in Buffalo are tainted because he thinks all people born with penises are men? Really? Why don’t you AGREE with his opinion that ……. I can name a dozen non controversial ones…..

The answer is clearly that you don’t like his overall political/social platforms.

You KNOW I like you. But don’t you think you should be more open minded?
  • Jump to: