Thread Rating:

GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 92
Thanks for this post from:
RS
August 13th, 2019 at 10:41:03 AM permalink
Quote: RS

IMO, it should just be "no politics / religion / etc..." for the new rule. I don't think it should be "must be related to gaming / Vegas / etc..." Are threads like GWAE's terrible "Miscellanious discussion" gonna be gone? What about the thread about where we update what we had for dinner and DRich is like, "I had candy for breakfast, chips for lunch, and tortino's pizza roles for dinner"?

If the fun but off-topic threads are gone, then I think the forum would pretty much die instantly, and I don't want to see that happen. I think the political and whatnot threads should be gone, though. I don't need to read stuff about politics on here. Subscribe to r/The_Donald for better political discussions.

Also, in lieu of these new rules, I propose we plan a fun activity. We should bring Nathan back! :)

You deserve a 7 day ban for the insult of the bestest thread ever
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 12
August 13th, 2019 at 10:48:27 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Tomorrows breakfast will be a slurry of Propofol and other anesthetics for surgery.

If you mentioned that I missed it so congrats on getting the things you needed done so you can go ahead with the surgery. Hope everything goes great for you!
sammydv
sammydv
  • Threads: 9
Mission146
August 13th, 2019 at 10:50:29 AM permalink
Some thoughts.
1. Will this be all an encompassing implementation if the final word is to implement it? As in purging ALL perceived so called non topic threads across the board?
I've seen plenty and ongoing heated debates on gambling, so what is considered a problem? Many members hijack wov threads daily, should the site take a more thorough and unbiased look at these members? Instead of censoring actual topics? I don't believe it;s the topics causing problems.

2. Wouldn't this also cause a drop of already lower readership?

3. What would the criteria for non gambling topic be?
... Is collecting poker chips about gambling?
... Is traveling to foreign locations and discussing food deals gambling.
... Is threads about wov reunions and how much chicken nuggets in a eating contest gambling?
... Is blogs about vegas shows gambling? Will all threads about vegas things to do be removed?
... Is Epsteins suicide about gambling?

Some topics garner interests as a aside of gambling but derive from a gambling topic. Some don't and are born on their own. It seems to me, to attempt to stop this free flow of discussions from gambling offshoots topics would be to shoot ones foot off to stop athletes foot from spreading.

Perhaps instead, in addition to having the 'off topic' section, which wov has already, remove that topic description from the landing page and have it as a link instead where people will only see the off topic titles after they further click that link. Only show the gambling titles on the landing page.

One thing to keep in mind, wov will not be able to stop the internet machine from finding any topic that was posted to wov. Wov could stop web crawling from happening with coding in the web site headings however.

All forums have a off topic section. Instead of pigeon holing everyone into a narrow subject matter and forbidding open discussions, just make it a little harder to find.

It wasn't lost on me that a suggestion was to take further discussions to another semi related web site.

It will be interesting how this plays out.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
August 13th, 2019 at 10:50:55 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Thank you, I really hope this site gets back to gambling material.

BTW, today was beef jerky for breakfast. Tonight's dinner will be at Juan's Flaming Fajita's. Tomorrows breakfast will be a slurry of Propofol and other anesthetics for surgery.

Best of results to you, I hope for your speedy recovery.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 29
Mission146
August 13th, 2019 at 10:55:33 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I have no idea how I feel about this. I just took a look at my last 20 threads to see where I fall as to what I have started discussion with and I think I am pretty inline with how the forum is wanting to be run.

I then took a look at my last posts and I mostly posted in gaming or betting threads with the exception of weight loss, food, and miscellaneous.

I then took a look at a handful of people who I will not name and they last 100 posts were 95% not gaming or gambling related.

The reason that I am on the fence is because I came here for a gambling reason but stuck around so long because other discussions have lead to some friendships. I talk to some people outside of here and are wondering if that would have happened without the other banter that happens. I really do enjoy the lighthearted conversations that surround a random thread in miscellaneous where people post random crap that only gets discussed for a few hours and the camaraderie between some people via the weight loss threads (even though I am still fat and seemingly getting fatter). I will check into this site multiple times a day and at night multiple times in an hour while watching TV. Without all of the other stuff I may only check 1 time a day or maybe less.

Saying all of that there are so many topics that I do not read and wish they were not on this site. Threads regarding politics, or gun control, or religion I feel do not belong on here. I have a few long term friends that I have no idea how they have ever voted and we just do not discuss such things. During this last month I have lost a lot of respect for a few people based on how they have been posting in some of these threads that I happen to read.

IMO I think there should be a little less of a drastic measure taken. Why can't there just be a rule to ban all controversial topics. I know some people couldn't care less about food topics which can easily be blocked. The politics ones can also be blocked but anything controversial seems to spill into other topics quite easily. I have never seen a food topic spill into another thread and cause havoc over there.

I agree with what Mission said as far as new members. If they come and see 10 current threads and they see 3 political ones, 2 gun law ones, and a food one they are probably not going to stick around.

So with all that rambling I would like a happy medium. Make a list of banned topics and that list can be expanded at any time but still allow some of the light hearted miscellaneous talk.

I'm inclined to agree. I will miss the weight loss stuff and random pet peeves and tip debates and people telling little stories from their own lives.

One way to your goal might be this:

1 No political threads. 2. No derailments, strictly enforced.

One of the forums I was on that closed was the Dan Carlin history forum. At one point, it was an amazing place full of incredibly well-read, knowledgeable and thoughtful people who liked going outside the box. The best way to explain it is that Face would have fit right in.

Part of the problem with extremists is that they are consumed. So they are the loudest. It was only a handful of posters, but there was a neo-nazi/white supremacist and you couldn't go a day without seeing someone, say, draw up their proposals for dividing the united states into different race based nations. A few guys with very serious issues with women spewing daily bile. There was also an SJW or two going on about how whites are born evil whatever. (For whatever reason, those people aren't on forums so much as places like Twitter, which I now rarely use because of them).

Slowly, the normal people just stopped coming. I'd guess because it simply became an unpleasant experience. Dan himself was once an avid poster and stopped entirely. Then Dan shut it down. If you read between the lines, it was just something he didn't want to be associated with any longer. Dan and the forum were also die hard free speechers, but it's kind of another kettle of fish when your name is on it and you are facilitating and paying for it.

I wonder if Mike feels the same way. If so, I think he will find this move liberating.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 103
Mission146AxelWolf
August 13th, 2019 at 10:59:19 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thank you! How this idea escapes the anti-Nathan sect escapes me.

That is funny you should say that on a thread which discusses ending threads which can just be IGNORED! Easier than ignoring Nathan! Blocking someone who others do not ignore makes threads too disjointed, as you know.

Anyway, your house, your rules. Just going to be far less interesting.... far less visited....
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
August 13th, 2019 at 11:00:24 AM permalink
On a seemingly different perspective, but it can help.

Why not demand that members refrain from using thumbnails of a political or provocative nature? Not ban them, just change their imago. I target EvenBob and ams88 and MaxPen and AZDuffman, as well as myself. Also « fag flags » or product ads,  for example.

PS. Fag flag is not offensive. I first heard it from gay friends using the term for fun, here.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 120
August 13th, 2019 at 11:00:26 AM permalink
Quote: sammydv

2. Wouldn't this also cause a drop of already lower readership?

If it dies, at least it will die a gambling forum. Besides, we're more likely to be active in gambling-related threads, even if it comes at the expense of being less active overall.

Quote:

3. What would the criteria for non gambling topic be?
... Is collecting poker chips about gambling?
... Is traveling to foreign locations and discussing food deals gambling.
... Is threads about wov reunions and how much chicken nuggets in a eating contest gambling?
... Is blogs about vegas shows gambling? Will all threads about vegas things to do be removed?
... Is Epsteins suicide about gambling?

Poker is a form of gambling.

Wizard has stated that something like the food thread is not going to be heavily policed in this regard. I wouldn't necessarily create a new thread for it unless at least part of the overall trip involves gambling.

I believe people were betting on the chicken nuggets contests, so I don't see how that wouldn't qualify as gambling. WoV is a gambling forum, the meet-ups tend to involve gambling in some way, so I fail to see how that wouldn't constitute gambling.

Vegas threads are expressly permitted, regardless of whether or not they are related directly to gambling.

Who is Epstein?

Quote:

Some topics garner interests as a aside of gambling but derive from a gambling topic. Some don't and are born on their own. It seems to me, to attempt to stop this free flow of discussions from gambling offshoots topics would be to shoot ones foot off to stop athletes foot from spreading.

When I was an Administrator, I tried to respect and find a difference between the complete derailment of a thread and a conversation simply taking its natural course. I should hope that is the case.

Quote:

Perhaps instead, in addition to having the 'off topic' section, which wov has already, remove that topic description from the landing page and have it as a link instead where people will only see the off topic titles after they further click that link. Only show the gambling titles on the landing page.

I like that suggestion, but only to the extent that we had politics and religion threads. I don't think something like the Miscellaneous Discussion Thread showing up to anyone who visits is a bad thing.

Quote:

One thing to keep in mind, wov will not be able to stop the internet machine from finding any topic that was posted to wov. Wov could stop web crawling from happening with coding in the web site headings however.

I don't think that's the goal. I think the goal is to focus mostly on gambling in the future and not at all on politics or religion.

Quote:

It wasn't lost on me that a suggestion was to take further discussions to another semi related web site.

It will be interesting how this plays out.

It's related to the extent that it consists mostly of people who are/were members here. As its own website, it does not advertise for any other gambling sites and is non-competing, as a result.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 120
August 13th, 2019 at 11:02:58 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

That is funny you should say that on a thread which discusses ending threads which can just be IGNORED! Easier than ignoring Nathan! Blocking someone who others do not ignore makes threads too disjointed, as you know.

Anyway, your house, your rules. Just going to be far less interesting.... far less visited....

This is a forum for gambling discussion and should appear as such to those visiting. I think the bigger issue here is those who are not yet members rather than those who are.
Vultures can't be choosers.
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
Rigondeaux
August 13th, 2019 at 11:05:46 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Slowly, the normal people just stopped coming. I'd guess because it simply became an unpleasant experience.

. Dan and the forum were also die hard free speechers, but it's kind of another kettle of fish when your name is on it and you are facilitating and paying for it .

Typical. The problem is not free speech ; it is monopolizing the speech .
Reperiet qui quaesiverit

• Jump to: