vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
April 27th, 2018 at 7:28:08 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Losing the last game of the year isn't looking so good right now. The Leafs have forced game seven. I thought BOS would win for sure tonight (I even bet a little on them and lost obviously). Home ice is still on their side and it should be a good game to watch.
----------

WAS advances. This sets up Ovi vs The Kid part 4. I guess the forth time's a charm for the Caps (maybe?). I am far from an expert, but both teams seem a bit "weaker" overall when compared to years past. It should still make for a great series.

Toronto has a good team but when Boston laid down the muscle it was over. Tampa is a lot like Toronto with many finesse players. Boston will grind them down by playing physical. It is hard to go into the corners when you know you are going to be hit every time. Bruins in 5 or 6
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
WBGamble
WBGamble
  • Threads: 2
April 27th, 2018 at 7:30:45 PM permalink
I'd be willing to take TB for some action.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 28th, 2018 at 7:50:33 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

follow the Caps now if you want some more misery

Early start caught me out. Saw them go up by two beginning of third. Thought "Huh. "

Turned around and it was 3-2 Pens. A pox on the lot =p

Quote: vegas

Toronto has a good team but when Boston laid down the muscle it was over. Tampa is a lot like Toronto with many finesse players. Boston will grind them down by playing physical. It is hard to go into the corners when you know you are going to be hit every time. Bruins in 5 or 6

As much as I love old American hockey, I gotta disagree.

When the Leafs were on, they were simply spooky. Every time a Bruin turned around, there were two guys swarming him. They cycled so fast there was literally no ice. I am, except for two weeks a year, quite a Bruin fan, but several times in games 5-7 they looked positively old. Chara especially, and he's a knockout defender. Tenacity won their day, as every time the Leafs inhaled, the Bruins struck.

There's no slamming your way to the cup this year.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
April 28th, 2018 at 7:58:12 AM permalink
VGK SJS game 1 was insane. Alex Tuch is going to be a star.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
April 28th, 2018 at 9:01:30 AM permalink
Jets got outplayed last night and stole game 1 behind Helly. You know the Jets won’t play that sloppily again, the Jets are going to be a really tough out.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
April 28th, 2018 at 9:42:07 AM permalink
Friend has season tix to Knights. He took me to a regular season game. Face value of tik "only" $225 for good seat. Now for this playoff series its $325. I asked him if he needed to sell on stubhub how much could he get? He told me he "took a pledge" to not sell any on stubhub, out of fear that visiting team fans will swarm in! But i saw similar seats for sale for $500! For a SECOND round hockey game! You can get into the Cavaliers Game 7 tomorrow for $30! (Not comparable seats though...)

Leicester City....... repeated?
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
April 28th, 2018 at 3:44:44 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Early start caught me out. Saw them go up by two beginning of third. Thought "Huh. "

Turned around and it was 3-2 Pens. A pox on the lot =p

As much as I love old American hockey, I gotta disagree.

When the Leafs were on, they were simply spooky. Every time a Bruin turned around, there were two guys swarming him. They cycled so fast there was literally no ice. I am, except for two weeks a year, quite a Bruin fan, but several times in games 5-7 they looked positively old. Chara especially, and he's a knockout defender. Tenacity won their day, as every time the Leafs inhaled, the Bruins struck.

There's no slamming your way to the cup this year.

Tell me Brad Marchand didn't get under the Tampa players skin today. I am not talking about fighting like the ""old" days but just plain tough hockey. If a team is more skilled you slow them down or you get beat. I agree Boston is slower and getting old but they do what they have to to win. Sure I know Tampa might beat them but Boston plays smart. Boston also stops teams at center ice making it hard to shoot the puck in without icing it.

You can say Toronto played well in a few games and yes they did but in reality the leafs were outshout by a wide margin over the series.. I am not a Boston fan but I like what I see. When they added Nash they picked up another rugged player who is built for the playoffs.

We will see.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 30th, 2018 at 8:55:04 AM permalink
Boston has played and looked great in game ones. They very well may be the best in the east.

IMO, VGK got shafted on the goalie interferance call in the 1st OT of game 2. Goalie interferance seems very difficult to predict how/when it will be called/upheld/overturned.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 30th, 2018 at 12:54:43 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Friend has season tix to Knights. He took me to a regular season game. Face value of tik "only" $225 for good seat. Now for this playoff series its $325. I asked him if he needed to sell on stubhub how much could he get? He told me he "took a pledge" to not sell any on stubhub, out of fear that visiting team fans will swarm in! But i saw similar seats for sale for $500! For a SECOND round hockey game! You can get into the Cavaliers Game 7 tomorrow for $30! (Not comparable seats though...)

Leicester City....... repeated?

From what I heard and it may be completely wrong, people who took the pledge got a 25% discount. People who did not got a price increase. Also heard that the people who took the pledge only get electronic seats and you have to scan it from your app so the only way to sell would be to give your password to them too.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
April 30th, 2018 at 1:29:11 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

From what I heard and it may be completely wrong, people who took the pledge got a 25% discount. People who did not got a price increase. Also heard that the people who took the pledge only get electronic seats and you have to scan it from your app so the only way to sell would be to give your password to them too.

GK figured if you are strictly buying a ticket in the hopes of reselling it for a profit, that they might as well make some extra money from you. The fans trying to buy tickets that promised to actually show up and root for the team received a loyalty discount. This way, thousands of San Jose fans don't show up at the arena to buy scalped seats
I'm not sure if this is something new, but I like the idea. I think it only applied to single game sales, not ticket packages.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Wizardofoddz123
Wizardofoddz123
  • Threads: 2
May 5th, 2018 at 8:51:11 AM permalink
Poor Devils
GlenG
GlenG
May 8th, 2018 at 4:43:03 PM permalink
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
May 8th, 2018 at 5:39:02 PM permalink
Knights were rooting for Jets last night I would assume. Nashville is the better team going 8 to the series.

Would love Bolts-Knights finals.
GlenG
GlenG
May 8th, 2018 at 6:03:24 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Knights were rooting for Jets last night I would assume. Nashville is the better team going 8 to the series.

Would love Bolts-Knights finals.

Its a tough matchup regardless who they play. I personally would rather play Nashville since Fleury has allowed 1 goal in 56 attemps vs NSH in 2 games this year. Winnipeg is a higher scoring team. Though 2/3 games against them Legace was in net. Nashville is a more Defensive minded team, but on paper the Kings are better defensively and Vegas swept them.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
GlenG
May 8th, 2018 at 7:02:08 PM permalink
glen that is so funny. Hey leave us alone, you guys have like 15 world series or something and we have the 27th smallest payroll.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 10th, 2018 at 8:47:29 PM permalink
Jets Jets Jets!!!

Let’s go baby!

Slightly overpaid for tickets to game 4...
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
May 12th, 2018 at 7:20:43 AM permalink
The Jets are the current favorites to win the Stanley Cup. Of course, if they lose tonight, they'll be the longest shot. Go Jets!
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
May 12th, 2018 at 8:45:32 AM permalink
I’m so pumped! This is the biggest thing to happen in Winnipeg in... well maybe ever!

GO JETS GO!
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
May 12th, 2018 at 1:36:01 PM permalink
Someone explain why Lightning are such heavy favorites in game one, but underdogs to win the series
billryan
billryan 
May 12th, 2018 at 1:54:53 PM permalink
Quote: TomG

Someone explain why Lightning are such heavy favorites in game one, but underdogs to win the series

I don't think hockey gets a lot of sports betting so when one of the two teams is from Las Vegas, you get a lot of home money flowing in. Just my uninformed opinion.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
May 12th, 2018 at 2:26:29 PM permalink
It’s Tampa-Washington matchup that has the discrepancy. All the prices on the Knights are in-line with each other even if shaded against Vegas
GlenG
GlenG
May 19th, 2018 at 5:16:36 PM permalink
Go Knights Go! Just 1 more win to represent the West in the Cup finals!

GWG from last night

This is a good read..check it out
The grim truth on the supposedly ‘rigged’ expansion draft
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
May 20th, 2018 at 6:00:48 AM permalink
I don't know how Vegas keeps winning. Against Winnipeg it's been a lot of Fleury.

But the expansion draft was not set up for them to be great. And after the draft, I thought they'd be horrible. And during the season, I just thought teams were getting the "vegas flu" when they'd come.

I guess I'm a believer now. They're a good team. Why can't my Blues be like this?
billryan
billryan 
May 20th, 2018 at 7:23:04 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

I don't know how Vegas keeps winning. Against Winnipeg it's been a lot of Fleury.

But the expansion draft was not set up for them to be great. And after the draft, I thought they'd be horrible. And during the season, I just thought teams were getting the "vegas flu" when they'd come.

I guess I'm a believer now. They're a good team. Why can't my Blues be like this?

That is ironic as I remember when the Blues were the expansion team and how they quickly were better than many established teams. They went to the Finals several years in a row.
Last edited by: billryan on May 20, 2018
GlenG
GlenG
May 20th, 2018 at 3:19:37 PM permalink
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 20th, 2018 at 3:45:06 PM permalink
Winnipeg was able to win 20% of their games against the expansion Golden Knights.

(This is a pathetic dig from a pathetic Sabres fan against Poker Grinder....)
GlenG
GlenG
May 20th, 2018 at 3:51:28 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Winnipeg was able to win 20% of their games against the expansion Golden Knights.

(This is a pathetic dig from a pathetic Sabres fan against Poker Grinder....)

25% if you count the regular season, where they were 1/3
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
Thanked by
GlenGbeachbumbabs
May 20th, 2018 at 5:16:54 PM permalink
Congrats to the knights. I’m beyond disappointed but the better team doesn’t always win. The Knights outplayed the Jets for the last 4 games. It’s too bad but they are young and they will be back. Gl in the finals.
billryan
billryan 
May 20th, 2018 at 9:30:31 PM permalink
The Jets had one line. Knights had a team.
Keeneone
Keeneone
May 20th, 2018 at 9:56:04 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

The Jets had one line. Knights had a team.

The Jets "one line" went 0 for 4 on the power play today at home.

The Jets had a very good team. The VGK had one great playoff goalie.

Going forward, this matchup has potential to develop into a nice Western Conference rivalry for the next couple of years...
billryan
billryan 
May 20th, 2018 at 10:04:29 PM permalink
A major reason why they lost. Knights skated them into the ground late in the game. Better line changes kept everyone fresh.
GlenG
GlenG
May 20th, 2018 at 10:50:46 PM permalink

A major reason why they lost. Knights skated them into the ground late in the game. Better line changes kept everyone fresh.

Our 4th line (Bellmare, Reaves and Nosek) were on point for the last few games.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
May 21st, 2018 at 1:24:14 AM permalink
One line? Haha the Jets had the best top lines in hockey this year Bill.
billryan
billryan 
May 21st, 2018 at 7:42:35 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

One line? Haha the Jets had the best top lines in hockey this year Bill.

As demonstrated in this series, Winnipeg, as a team was slow and prodding. You can sugarcoat it and think the team is set up for next year or you can fix it. Meanwhile, the Magical Mystery Tour continues.
Boz
Boz
May 21st, 2018 at 7:54:59 AM permalink
Can someone post something so I can comment?

Don’t want to be accused of following Bill around.
GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2018 at 8:43:17 AM permalink
I am pissed that pens layed an egg. I really wanted to see Fleury vs pens.

Plus my playoff tickets would have been worth a fortune
billryan
billryan 
May 21st, 2018 at 9:04:14 AM permalink

I am pissed that pens layed an egg. I really wanted to see Fleury vs pens.

Plus my playoff tickets would have been worth a fortune

Penguin paid the Golden Knights to take Fleury.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
May 21st, 2018 at 1:32:38 PM permalink

As demonstrated in this series, Winnipeg, as a team was slow and prodding. You can sugarcoat it and think the team is set up for next year or you can fix it. Meanwhile, the Magical Mystery Tour continues.

Yes they were slow and prodding but any team can fall apart for 8 days. Doesn’t change what they are, they got beaten fair and square.
GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2018 at 2:14:46 PM permalink

Penguin paid the Golden Knights to take Fleury.

They had to make a tough decision. Keep 30 year old fleury with history of concussions or keep a 3rd year player in Murray. It was a decision made about 6 years from now not so much the next 2.
billryan
billryan 
May 21st, 2018 at 2:15:13 PM permalink
They ran into a buzz saw team of destiny. No shame in losing like that.
Boz
Boz
May 21st, 2018 at 2:36:25 PM permalink

They had to make a tough decision. Keep 30 year old fleury with history of concussions or keep a 3rd year player in Murray. It was a decision made about 6 years from now not so much the next 2.

Because GM’s always keep their jobs looking 6 years down the road.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 21st, 2018 at 5:10:14 PM permalink
Disappointing. Not that I have any interest in the remainders, but was pulling for 'Peg as that's where I discovered the wonderment that is Tahir Domi. Ah well.

But for real, I watch a lot of old time hockey still. 'Member the hotshots of my day? Mogilny, Bure, Selanne, Kariya,... dude, I think they'd struggle to make 3rd line today. These kids are good.

Watch a Best of Paul Coffey, an absolute legend, then watch any 5 minutes of PK Subban. It boggles the mind.

Anyway,.... to hell with Vegas. #QC
Boz
Boz
May 21st, 2018 at 5:21:25 PM permalink

Disappointing. Not that I have any interest in the remainders, but was pulling for 'Peg as that's where I discovered the wonderment that is Tahir Domi. Ah well.

But for real, I watch a lot of old time hockey still. 'Member the hotshots of my day? Mogilny, Bure, Selanne, Kariya,... dude, I think they'd struggle to make 3rd line today. These kids are good.

Watch a Best of Paul Coffey, an absolute legend, then watch any 5 minutes of PK Subban. It boggles the mind.

Anyway,.... to hell with Vegas. #QC

Disagree, Bure would be a star in any era. Same with Alexander, Temmu and Paul.

At least they were in NHL 93 on Sega.

Hell we are still waiting in Philly for a goalie as good as Hextall in 88.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 21st, 2018 at 5:50:55 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Disagree, Bure would be a star in any era. Same with Alexander, Temmu and Paul.

At least they were in NHL 93 on Sega.

Hell we are still waiting in Philly for a goalie as good as Hextall in 88.

NHLPA. Respect the game ;)

We fire it up, open draft, any trades. You've gotta pick 9 guys (3 lines of forwards sans CHK line) out of the '18 + '93 rosters. You're saying one of these guys would make it?

I am not convinced, unless you mention [player redacted].

Then again, Jagr is still playing. So I guess there's that.
Boz
Boz
May 21st, 2018 at 6:20:53 PM permalink

NHLPA. Respect the game ;)

We fire it up, open draft, any trades. You've gotta pick 9 guys (3 lines of forwards sans CHK line) out of the '18 + '93 rosters. You're saying one of these guys would make it?

I am not convinced, unless you mention [player redacted].

Then again, Jagr is still playing. So I guess there's that.

Don’t bring me down. In the words of Seger, We got tonight. I still think OJ and Jim Brown would succeed today, Mick and Hank would be the best and nobody was better than Doc. You are definitely better on the technical end of hockey, but damn, those guys were heroes to me. As a kid when we won in 74 and 75, I learned hockey on PHL17 and became a forever fan. Though the Islander years with Billy Smith and crew, we tried. And when we got Sittler in 82 the Sporting News told me we were the favorites. How did that work out? Hexxy in 88, the Lindros decision, f the Rangers, 1940...1940...1940.

Damn I’m angry, lol.
GlenG
GlenG
May 21st, 2018 at 7:09:05 PM permalink
Hahahaha
Keeneone
Keeneone
May 21st, 2018 at 8:03:24 PM permalink
Shutout for Holtby and the Caps tonight. Sets up a nice Game 7 in Tampa for Wednesday night.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
May 22nd, 2018 at 6:25:24 AM permalink
Anybody knows Final schedule please?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 22nd, 2018 at 7:33:34 AM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

The schedule, as the NHL announced it on Monday:
All games start at 8 p.m. ET:

Game 1: Monday, May 28
Game 2: Wednesday, May 30
Game 3: Saturday, June 2
Game 4: Monday, June 4
Game 5: Thursday, June 7
Game 6: Sunday, June 10
Game 7: Wednesday, June 13
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 22nd, 2018 at 7:34:50 AM permalink
Quote: speedycrap

Probably waiting to announce it depending on who wins TB/Wash.

Around half of the players in the NHL were not ALIVE the last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup. It continues.......
  • Jump to: