edwardjsmith
edwardjsmith
  • Threads: 1
May 22nd, 2018 at 8:13:17 AM permalink
Could be worse Imagine your team going to the Stanley cup finals 3 years in a row. And going 0-4, 0-4, and 0-4 1968,1969&1970
No ICE in my drink, PLEASE
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
May 22nd, 2018 at 8:39:27 AM permalink
Quote: Face

But for real, I watch a lot of old time hockey still. 'Member the hotshots of my day? Mogilny, Bure, Selanne, Kariya,... dude, I think they'd struggle to make 3rd line today. These kids are good.

Yes, but do you like the movie Slapshot or is it too old and dated for a young whippersnapper like you.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
May 22nd, 2018 at 8:41:43 AM permalink
If Tampa wins tomorrow the Stanley Cup starts in Tampa on Monday, if Washington wins it starts in Las Vegas on Monday.

Go Caps!!!
DRich
DRich
May 22nd, 2018 at 8:49:27 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Around half of the players in the NHL were not ALIVE the last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup. It continues.......

Isn't that crazy, we as Americans think of hockey as a Canadian sport yet a Canadian team hasn't won it in 25 years.
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
May 22nd, 2018 at 9:04:14 AM permalink
thanks for the reply
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
May 22nd, 2018 at 5:01:34 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Don’t bring me down. In the words of Seger, We got tonight. I still think OJ and Jim Brown would succeed today, Mick and Hank would be the best and nobody was better than Doc. You are definitely better on the technical end of hockey, but damn, those guys were heroes to me. As a kid when we won in 74 and 75, I learned hockey on PHL17 and became a forever fan. Though the Islander years with Billy Smith and crew, we tried. And when we got Sittler in 82 the Sporting News told me we were the favorites. How did that work out? Hexxy in 88, the Lindros decision, f the Rangers, 1940...1940...1940.

Damn I’m angry, lol.

Yeah, wait... how'd you get me arguing FOR the new boys? I'm always the one insisting that Jeremy Roenick was better than Crosby is, or that Luongo (when he was good) wasn't fit to say the words "Ed Belfour". It's kinda uncomfortable being on this side. But I do have to say it, it's like watching beer leagues going back. Hell, I mighta could've even made it. I ain't no Phil Housley, but I could pull off a Doug Bodger ;)

But I am sticking with my stance that if you dumped any of these pretty fellas into the '80's, there'd be nothing left of them. Imagine a Max McCormick v Tony Twist. You'd need to add a coroner to every stadium's crew. Lucic runs over Miller and injures the starting goalie and no one even scuffles. Imagine that was Hasek getting run over and Rob Ray's on the bench.

Now I'm getting pissed lol.

I'll stop. Just...let's not mention Lindros, OK? Like, ever.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 22nd, 2018 at 5:21:42 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Yes, but do you like the movie Slapshot or is it too old and dated for a young whippersnapper like you.

Age has nothing to do with it. Mighty Ducks is still awesome, Miracle is still the best Disney movie ever made, Youngblood is still awesome, hell, I'll even watch The Cutting Edge about bi-yearly (TOE PICK!!).

But no. The characters are there, you got the proper mix in personnel. But the only guy I find remotely entertaining is Jim Carr the reporter, and while it's always a literal LOL and something I use myself today, his interview with Denis Lemieux is the only part I found to be actually funny. It was worth watching cuz it makes me giggle when I instruct someone to the box and to "feel shame" (makes me giggle now), but I just can't "get" why it's so lauded.

Now Goon, there's a proper hockey comedy. That's much more like how it actually is, more relatable.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
May 22nd, 2018 at 5:23:36 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Now Goon, there's a proper hockey comedy. That's much more like how it actually is, more relatable.

Its on Netflix..ran into it a few weeks ago..i liked it. Stiffler makes for a good enforcer.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 22nd, 2018 at 6:09:50 PM permalink
As a Cub Scout , I attended a couple of Long Island Ducks games before the Islanders were around. Supposedly the movie Slapshot is loosely based on them. Horrible arena with no heat and a bunch of drunks. A lot of people may not realise it but in the 1960s and early 70s, very few Americans played in the NHL. Leagues like the Eastern League had many NHL caliber players but if you weren't Canadian, your NHL chances were slim. It was expansion that brought Americans and then Europeans into the league.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 23rd, 2018 at 4:35:30 AM permalink
Toe Pick!

I love that movie. Just adore it. Ridiculous, I know.

What are these weird spikes on the blade?

Toe Pick!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
May 23rd, 2018 at 8:19:37 PM permalink
Caps won it on the road. Ovechkin goes to his first SC Finals (along with many other players on the team).

Vegas vs Washington starts Monday.

Lines are going up now. I get the feeling Game 1 will be a high scoring affair (Over 5.5).
Keeneone
Keeneone
May 24th, 2018 at 7:39:46 PM permalink
The bets continued to round 3:
I was out of town and was unable to make a VGK bet to win against Winnipeg ($29.85 @+120, Total returned = $65.67).

Keeneone
Keeneone
May 24th, 2018 at 10:14:49 PM permalink
Since I picked both teams in the Finals I am not betting the last series.
The results of this little test will be:

Vegas Golden Knights to win Stanley Cup:
Futures bet $10 @ +700 = $80
Parlayed bet (series by series)
Round 1 $10 @ -135 = $17.40, Round 2 $17.40 @ -140 = $29.85
Round 3 $29.85 @ +120 = $65.67, Round 4 $65.67 @ -145 = $110.96

Washington Capitals to win Stanley Cup:
Futures bet $10 @ 12/1 = $130
Parlayed bet (series by series)
Round 1 $10 @ -135 = $17.40, Round 2 $17.40 @ +105 = $35.70
Round 3 $35.70 @ +160 = $92.85, Round 4 $92.85 @ +125 = $208.91

Summary:
Futures bet vs Parlay bet (series by series) in NHL after the season and before the playoffs=
Parlay wins
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 28th, 2018 at 5:30:50 PM permalink
So, yes, I'm a Janie-come-lately, but:

Was that completely over-the-top pregame

1. Normal for opening SC finals?

2. Unique to Vegas games, but usual for VGK?

3. A night off for Le Cirque?

That was craaaazy.

Good anthem, though. Really well sung.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
May 28th, 2018 at 5:49:56 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Toe Pick!

I love that movie. Just adore it. Ridiculous, I know.

What are these weird spikes on the blade?

Toe Pick!

The Cutting Edge.

Yea, I know, lol.

Go Knights*

*Go Flyers, Ok unrealistic
**Go Bolts, Ok I’m bad luck
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2018 at 5:56:31 PM permalink

So, yes, I'm a Janie-come-lately, but:

Was that completely over-the-top pregame

1. Normal for opening SC finals?

2. Unique to Vegas games, but usual for VGK?

3. A night off for Le Cirque?

That was craaaazy.

Good anthem, though. Really well sung.

They have done them before each opening game in the playoffs. They've gotten more elaborate as they go on, although the Winnipeg one featured a Canadian fighter jet. You can see them on YouTube.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
May 28th, 2018 at 7:58:40 PM permalink
Quite the slobberknocker. 5-4 with ten to play. Bars offering free shots with every goal are getting screwed
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
May 28th, 2018 at 8:09:18 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Quite the slobberknocker. 5-4 with ten to play. Bars offering free shots with every goal are getting screwed

Or they are giving away fruit flavored “shots” for free while selling beers and drinks at 20% cost for 5 hours at a minimum, along with food to most customers.

But as a former bar owner, you understand marketing and were just making a general statement as a joke I’m going to assume.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 28th, 2018 at 11:00:01 PM permalink
That was just insane.

What a sport. Good grief! Face! How do you do that? Sometimes the people in the worst peril are the refs, with those pucks going 100mph and bodies slamming everywhere.

I'm glad Fleury didn't eat that own goal. For a bit there I thought he was going to pay for it, but they dug out.

And that Oshi guy for the Caps, not to mention Martin, I think it was, that blindsided the 81.
Geez. I think they'd slug you rather than look at you.

Lots of stuff I didn't understand. What was with the face-off in the 2nd where the ref fake dropped the puck and then kicked the GK out of the circle? Why was it 4 on 4? They showed the one foul 8 times, didn't see the other. And why didn't anybody get a penalty for fighting? Lot of punches thrown, couple times they stopped play to break something up.

I guess there's no such thing as high-sticking, tripping, or outright mugging any more. Dirty shots everywhere, including the winning goal where the forward punched the defender to the ice, then shot over his body.

Gotta give a huge amount of credit to the guy calling the play-by-play. Once I listened closely to him, I could follow it much better.

Is there any game that moves faster than hockey? Can't think of one, but this was a free-for-all compared to the (few) others I've watched. Almost no organized offense, just seemed like everybody went for it. Maybe JaiAlai does, saw that played, but 1 on 1 is different.

Was there something wrong with the ice? They kept having to fix big gouges. I don't think I've seen that before.

Sorry for the blathering . Left over adrenaline rush I think. Think I get the attraction a little better.
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 12:07:46 AM permalink

That was just insane.

What a sport. Good grief! Face! How do you do that? Sometimes the people in the worst peril are the refs, with those pucks going 100mph and bodies slamming everywhere.

I'm glad Fleury didn't eat that own goal. For a bit there I thought he was going to pay for it, but they dug out.

And that Oshi guy for the Caps, not to mention Martin, I think it was, that blindsided the 81.
Geez. I think they'd slug you rather than look at you.

Lots of stuff I didn't understand. What was with the face-off in the 2nd where the ref fake dropped the puck and then kicked the GK out of the circle? Why was it 4 on 4? They showed the one foul 8 times, didn't see the other. And why didn't anybody get a penalty for fighting? Lot of punches thrown, couple times they stopped play to break something up.

I guess there's no such thing as high-sticking, tripping, or outright mugging any more. Dirty shots everywhere, including the winning goal where the forward punched the defender to the ice, then shot over his body.

Gotta give a huge amount of credit to the guy calling the play-by-play. Once I listened closely to him, I could follow it much better.

Is there any game that moves faster than hockey? Can't think of one, but this was a free-for-all compared to the (few) others I've watched. Almost no organized offense, just seemed like everybody went for it. Maybe JaiAlai does, saw that played, but 1 on 1 is different.

Was there something wrong with the ice? They kept having to fix big gouges. I don't think I've seen that before.

Sorry for the blathering . Left over adrenaline rush I think. Think I get the attraction a little better.

If a player tries to go for the puck too early, they force a sub In the faceoff.

4on4 because there were 2 offsetting penalties.

Playoffs the refs usually go a little lenient on the penalties..itll cause both sides to celebrate and complain a lot.

No game I know that's faster than hockey.

Nothing really wrong with the ice. 19,000 people in the arena, and it was 91 degrees outside at game time.
DRich
DRich
May 29th, 2018 at 8:20:26 AM permalink
That was a very sloppy game by the Knights. Their passing and all of the turnovers were atrocious. Hopefully they look better on Wednesday.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
May 29th, 2018 at 10:20:03 AM permalink

That was a very sloppy game by the Knights. Their passing and all of the turnovers were atrocious. Hopefully they look better on Wednesday.

I'm not a good one to discuss hockey, but it seemed like a loose sloppy game both ways. I had a sinking feeling the Knights were going to lose after they were down 2-1, but what do I know.

I'd be interested in the analysis by Sir Grinder of Nothingham Nottingham.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder 
  • Threads: 26
May 29th, 2018 at 11:03:51 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm not a good one to discuss hockey, but it seemed like a loose sloppy game both ways. I had a sinking feeling the Knights were going to lose after they were down 2-1, but what do I know.

Haha yes it’s catching on! 😊

As far as the game last night it seemed to me to be a standard game 1 of the finals. Both teams were a mixture of hyped up and nervous and that leads to a sloppy game. I would be very surprised if the rest of the series wasn’t well played hockey.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
speedycrap
speedycrap
  • Threads: 46
May 29th, 2018 at 11:42:15 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Haha yes it’s catching on! 😊

As far as the game last night it seemed to me to be a standard game 1 of the finals. Both teams were a mixture of hyped up and nervous and that leads to a sloppy game. I would be very surprised if the rest of the series wasn’t well played hockey.

So taking under is the way to go? Sir Grinder!!!
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder 
May 29th, 2018 at 12:16:05 PM permalink
I don’t bet so I don’t even know what the line is but I expect a 3-2 game in game 2.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
DRich
DRich
May 29th, 2018 at 12:18:14 PM permalink

I don’t bet so I don’t even know what the line is but I expect a 3-2 game in game 2.

The over/under will be right about 5.5 for all of the games.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 12:19:29 PM permalink

I'll take the over for up to 100. >5 goals, regardless of results. I'm math signs dyslexic, so if the arrow points the wrong way, my apologies.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
May 29th, 2018 at 12:30:08 PM permalink

The over/under will be right about 5.5 for all of the games.

It’ll be interesting to see how that moves game to game. Oddsmakers try not to get caught up in the moment and react to outlier games, especially with totals. I’d think we might see 5.5 with the over at -130 for game 2..and then if we see another game with 8+ goals we possibly see a 6 line for game 3.
DRich
DRich
May 29th, 2018 at 12:58:27 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

It’ll be interesting to see how that moves game to game. Oddsmakers try not to get caught up in the moment and react to outlier games, especially with totals. I’d think we might see 5.5 with the over at -130 for game 2..and then if we see another game with 8+ goals we possibly see a 6 line for game 3.

I would be very surprised to see any of the games lined at 6 but there will be a bias to the over at 5.5.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 29th, 2018 at 1:13:13 PM permalink

It's super easy. All I do is... don't lol. I stopped playing with children in '12, and after foolishly agreeing to another go around this April, I can tell you with ease I'll never play with them again. They're too good and I'm too GD old. I'm officially retired from competition. Just like Favre =p

Reffing's not terrible, though. Your head saves you a lot of pain.12 and under aside, I don't think I've ever once been struck by a player. Be and do where and what you're supposed to, and it's almost telepathy. You know exactly where you are, so the player knows exactly what he needs do, and as long as you trust the system, it's elegant chaos. There's four of them out there and 80 some games across 31 teams; how often do you see one get killed? Not never =p

Pucks aren't terrible either, usually. There's no refs behind the goal line, and none near the net unless there's a loose puck scrum. We might ease close when the puck is on the other side, but you'll never see a ref in open ice or behind the net. All those 100mph shots are of no concern. It's the panic dump that gets us. Since we stand where theoretically people should not be, it's the emergency avenue to get it out of your zone. That's where I get binned the most, and as it's usually a hurried shot and often off the glass, it's not devastating. Purple and numb, sure, but nowhere near calling the meat wagon.

Faceoffs is where I get all the head shots and broken fingers =/

This is good stuff, though. It's rare that I'll give an audible "wow" (or similar), but I'm tossing 5 a night watching this mess. Incredible skill.

Too bad the teams are dumb =p
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 1:25:05 PM permalink

I'll take the over for up to 100. >5 goals, regardless of results. I'm math signs dyslexic, so if the arrow points the wrong way, my apologies.

Sir Grinder? Do we have a bet?
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
May 29th, 2018 at 1:28:38 PM permalink

I will book that for you. I pay 100 if 6 or more total points are scored. You pay 100 if 5 or less total points are scored.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 1:32:21 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I will book that for you. I pay 100 if 6 or more total points are scored. You pay 100 if 5 or less total points are scored.

Booked. For this Wed only. Should be fun, thanks.
billryan
billryan
May 29th, 2018 at 1:39:37 PM permalink
Do total goals include OT or just regulation?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 1:42:25 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Do total goals include OT or just regulation?

As far as I'm concerned, whatever it takes to finish the game. As the guy said last night, Stanley Cup games never end in a tie. Which probably favors 5, but that's ok.
billryan
billryan
May 29th, 2018 at 1:55:08 PM permalink
A playoff game can't end in a tie. They play until someone scores, although they do take breaks as the ice needs to be tended to. In fact, OT in Vegas may result in extensive ice timeouts.
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
May 29th, 2018 at 1:55:46 PM permalink

As far as I'm concerned, whatever it takes to finish the game. As the guy said last night, Stanley Cup games never end in a tie. Which probably favors 5, but that's ok.

If the score gets to be 3-2 at any point, you’ll have that chance at the empty netter to win it
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 2:34:43 PM permalink

Booked. For this Wed only. Should be fun, thanks.

Just confirming for you.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 29th, 2018 at 3:33:07 PM permalink
Confirming 5.5 is the going over/under. At most places you have to lay 120 on the over and get even money on the under. I'm pretty sure all goals count, including overtime.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder 
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 3:55:38 PM permalink

Just saw this, I was taking a nap. I don’t bet sports but thanks for the offer Babs.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 29th, 2018 at 4:50:54 PM permalink
for explanation of the bet size, Babs' bankroll swelled playing Clue
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 4:53:18 PM permalink
Heh heh heh. Biding my time. Hope we do get to play again in the near future. But hubris and millet keep me from bragging rights.

Edit. Millet = miplet. Stupid spellchecker. Turn genius into grain.
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on May 29, 2018
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 29th, 2018 at 6:49:30 PM permalink

Heh heh heh. Biding my time. Hope we do get to play again in the near future. But hubris and millet keep me from bragging rights.

If I ever have time to figure out how to guys play I will join. Watching from the outside didnt make any sense. Is there a game board that is being shared somewhere? Been so long since I have played the game.

Edit: sorry, hit edit instead of reply . See below. Bbb
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on May 29, 2018
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 29th, 2018 at 7:25:19 PM permalink
millet = miplet above. sorry, guy, spellcheck bit me. Yeah, go to DT. ODIOUS GAMBIT has all the rules for our play in his blog. Miplet designed an electronic version of the board that updates as we play, and automates turns and guesses.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 30th, 2018 at 3:40:24 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

If I ever have time to figure out how to guys play I will join. Watching from the outside didnt make any sense. Is there a game board that is being shared somewhere? Been so long since I have played the game.

to play the basic game, that you can learn in a few minutes. Prepare to be humbled by such as BBB however. For the record, Miplet wore the crown.

we stick as close as we can to the published 2002 rules, making changes so it is possible to play online. Though we added 'day of the week' too, to make it harder. You can be walked through too, no reason not to play.

https://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Clue_%282002%29.pdf
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 30th, 2018 at 10:13:13 AM permalink
If we got some fresh blood, I might be persuaded to return. It got boring for me playing with the same people over and over. Every game seemed the same. It didn't help that I haven't won for a while.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 30th, 2018 at 10:16:07 AM permalink

If we got some fresh blood, I might be persuaded to return. It got boring for me playing with the same people over and over. Every game seemed the same. It didn't help that I haven't won for a while.

I will forgive your leftover clue debt if it helps you return... ¥;->
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 30th, 2018 at 11:48:50 AM permalink

I will forgive your leftover clue debt if it helps you return... ¥;->

No, I wish to pay that off as I hate to be in dept. Is Paypal okay? I will also offer as an option to make a matching donation to Three Square, as I did to satisfy my debt to OD.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 30th, 2018 at 12:07:17 PM permalink

No, I wish to pay that off as I hate to be in dept. Is Paypal okay? I will also offer as an option to make a matching donation to Three Square, as I did to satisfy my debt to OD.

Sigh. Playing the hungry people card, how can I resist? (100% teasing. Call it interest on the money I won't see.)

Please make the donation.
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 30th, 2018 at 7:14:53 PM permalink
Hopefully I will lose that under bet. Go Knights.
  • Jump to: