Thread Rating:

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
July 20th, 2012 at 9:27:57 PM permalink
Fecha: 21-07-12
Palabra: Replantear

Today's SWD means to raise again/reopen. In the reflexive (replantearse), it means to rethink/reconsider.

Ejemplo time.

Catedrático, creo que debes replantearte tu idea a salir de la isla. = Professor, I think you should reconsider your idea to get off the island.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 20th, 2012 at 9:45:53 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Catedrático, creo que debes replantearte tu idea a salir de la isla. = Professor, I think you should reconsider your idea to get off the island.

The proper and common Spanish for "professor" is "profesor" (accent on the last syllable). "Catedrático" does mean something similar, but 1) it's not as common and 2) it's not used to address someone, just as you wouldn't address someone as "engineer," or "mathematician."

And it's "...para salir."
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 20th, 2012 at 11:38:20 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

"Catedrático" ...

Sorry, I knew you were going to prefer profesor, but was curious to know what you had to say about a catedrático.

Speaking of infrequently used Spanish words, I thought I would post a review of Cuentos Españoles. Paco may have recommended it a long time ago, as it has been on my shelf gathering dust for months. However, I was feeling guilty for ignoring it, so lugged it up Mouth Whitney with me, along with 45 pounds of other stuff. Do I get points for effort?

This may not have been the best idea I ever had. I'm not sure if it was the Spanish Spanish, or that most of it was written centuries ago, but I barely recognized the language in it. I seriously was worried that I was setting my progress back with confusing myself. Here is just a very small sampling.

English Cuentos Españoles American Spanish
Village Aldea Pueblo
Young man Mancebo Muchacho
Courteous Fino Amable
Face Rostro Cara
Pregnant Preñado Embarazada

However, I must say that I enjoyed about half the stories. They tend deal with themes of morality and the struggles of the common man.

Here were some of my favorites.

• De lo que aconteció a un mancebo que se casó con una mujer muy fuerte y muy brava. -- Don Juan Manuel
  • La fuerza de la sange -- Miguel de Cervantes
  • El libro talonario -- Pedro Antonio

Maybe it is due to a small sampling, but I liked the older stories more. To be honest, after I got frustrated cutting through the Spanish I just read the odd-numbered pages in the English translation.

Overall, I would recommend this book for the reader interested in Spanish short stories or for those who already have a very solid foundation in the Language.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 21st, 2012 at 3:04:10 AM permalink

Paco may have recommended it a long time ago, as it has been on my shelf gathering dust for months. However, I was feeling guilty for ignoring it, so lugged it up Mouth Whitney with me, along with 45 pounds of other stuff. Do I get points for effort?

However, I must say that I enjoyed about half the stories. They tend deal with themes of morality and the struggles of the common man.

Yes you do get an A for effort, but I recommended a simpler text without reliance on the classics
Short Stories in Spanish: New Penguin Parallel Text

Novela de La fuerza de la sangre
Una noche de las calurosas del verano, volvían de recrearse del río en Toledo un anciano hidalgo con su mujer, un niño pequeño, una hija de edad de diez y seis años y una criada. La noche era clara; la hora, las once; el camino, solo, y el paso, tardo, por no pagar con cansancio la pensión que traen consigo las holguras que en el río o en la vega se toman en Toledo.

It is no surprise that you would find 400 year old spanish difficult to read, as English spelling from the same period is so difficult to read.

Good friend for Jesus sake forbeare
To digg the dust encloased heare
Blessed by y man y spares hes stones
And curst be he y moves my bones
Nareed
Nareed
July 21st, 2012 at 10:07:54 AM permalink

Sorry, I knew you were going to prefer profesor, but was curious to know what you had to say about a catedrático.

Swell! That's just bully! Felicitations are in order. Let's grab some tonic from the ice box to drink while we cane the motorway in the roadster.

There :P

Quote:

I'm not sure if it was the Spanish Spanish, or that most of it was written centuries ago, but I barely recognized the language in it.

Yes.

I can barely make sense of Cervantes. In those days they used prepositions that are now museum pieces. But, honestly, how many modern English speakers can read Shakespeare without some explanations at the least?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 21st, 2012 at 9:38:03 PM permalink

Let's grab some tonic from the ice box

It is not unusual to refer to a refrigerator as an "ice box." I never do, finding it too informal, but I've heard it many times. However, I get your point.

But, honestly, how many modern English speakers can read Shakespeare without some explanations at the least?

When I read Shakespeare I use the same kind of bilingual book like Cuentos Españoles, only old English to new English. They are very helpful. I hate to get off topic, but the introduction of one of the stories in Cuentos Españoles titled De lo que aconteció a un mancebo que se casó con una mujer muy fuerte y muy brava is said to have inspired Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew.

Fecha: 22-07-12
Palabra: cerradura

Today's SWD means lock. Breaking it down we see the cerra, which means to close, and dura, which means hard. So, to remember this one, think of it as closing something so that it would be hard to open (without the llave).

What I find peculiar is that there isn't a Spanish word for the verb lock, at least not that I can find. I think to say "Lock the door" you would need to say something like Cierra la puera con la cerradura. Note the use of the imperative conjugation of cerrar (do I get any points?). I wonder if people that work in lock and key stores in Spanish-speaking countries ever say to each other, "You know, somebody should think of a verb for 'to lock.'"

So, I've run out of things to say. A long time ago. Let's get on with the...

Ejemplo time.

¿Porqué estan muchas cerraduras delante de la iglesia? = Why are there so many locks in front of the church?

Trivia time!

What the heck am I talking about with that ejemplo?
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 22nd, 2012 at 3:34:03 AM permalink
In this case Spanish seems much more logical than English. Cerrojo means a bolt or a latch, cerrar means to close, cierre means a fastener, and cerradura means to lock.

The English word "lock" has multiple meanings, including a lock for boats, a lock of hair, lock-step, and loosely related concepts like locking arms.
Nareed
Nareed
July 22nd, 2012 at 4:14:06 AM permalink

It is not unusual to refer to a refrigerator as an "ice box."

Actually an ice box is a device that existed before refrigerators. Thing of a refrigerator, more or less, without a refrigeration system. instead you put ice in it every day and that kept the inside cold.

Quote:

I think to say "Lock the door" you would need to say something like Cierra la puera con la cerradura.

"Cierra con llave."

Quote:

¿Porqué estan muchas cerraduras delante de la iglesia? = Why are there so many locks in front of the church?

I'm picturing a bunch of locks scattered around the steps or walk leading up to the church. If that was your intent, and I can't see why it should be, than you want to say "al frente de la iglesia."

If you mean the doors have lots of locks in them, which also makes little sense but more than the above, then it's "en la iglesia."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 22nd, 2012 at 8:09:17 AM permalink
Evidently some churches in Mexico have a big pile of locks in front, chained together via the locks themselves. It evidently lowers the chances of others gossiping about you. As my source, watch this travel video about Mexico. If your're rushed, skipped to the 1:25 point.

China has a similar thing, but on mountain tops. There couples attach a lock to a chain and throw the key over the ledge. As long as nobody opens the lock your love will remain strong.
Nareed
Nareed
July 22nd, 2012 at 8:32:57 AM permalink

Evidently some churches in Mexico have a big pile of locks in front, chained together via the locks themselves.

I've some vague memory of you asking something about that some time ago. Overall I don't pay attention to superstition.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 22nd, 2012 at 8:53:01 AM permalink

Overall I don't pay attention to superstition.

So if you see a big pile of locks in front of a church you don't wonder why its there?
Nareed
Nareed
July 22nd, 2012 at 10:05:19 AM permalink

So if you see a big pile of locks in front of a church you don't wonder why its there?

You're assuming I'd notice a church in the first place ;)
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 22nd, 2012 at 6:08:17 PM permalink

Evidently some churches in Mexico have a big pile of locks in front, chained together via the locks themselves. It evidently lowers the chances of others gossiping about you.

The locks are a traditional way to honor Saint Nonnatus (no birth). He is not a Mexican saint, but was born in 1200 or 1204 at Portello in Catalonia. His feast is celebrated on 31 August. The Nonnatus is because he was born by cesarean section after his mother died.

He was zealous in teaching the Christian religion and made many converts, which embittered the Mohammedan authorities. Raymond was subjected to all kinds of indignities and cruelty, was made to run the gauntlet, and was at last sentenced to impalement. The hope of a greater sum of money as ransom caused the governor to commute the sentence into imprisonment. To prevent him from preaching for Christ, his lips were pierced with a red-hot iron and closed with a padlock.

Img from Altar of Saint Raymond Nonnatus, Metropolitan Cathedral, Mexico City (courtesy Wikipedia)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 22nd, 2012 at 9:02:12 PM permalink
Paco, what would be do without you? I hope FrG has a chance to read your post. He may put up with a lot here, but nothing compared to Saint Nonnatus. I don't suppose you would know which particular church in Mexico City is good to see one of these big mounds of locks. Not that I go to Catholic Churches much, but I've never seen a big mound of locks in front of any of them here.

Fecha: 07-22-12
Palabra: Agrietar

Today's SWD means to crack or crack open. A related word is grieta, which means to a crack (noun).

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast grieta y raja.

Ejemplo time.

No se quitas tu pulgar de la grieta o el dique caiga. = Don't remove your thumb from the crack or the whole damn will collapse. (Do I get extra points, or lose them, for using the subjunctive?)
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
July 22nd, 2012 at 9:33:56 PM permalink
I think I will keep my lips sealed in regards to what I think about St. Raymond Nonnatus.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 22nd, 2012 at 9:44:14 PM permalink

Paco, what would be do without you? I hope FrG has a chance to read your post. He may put up with a lot here, but nothing compared to Saint Nonnatus. I don't suppose you would know which particular church in Mexico City is good to see one of these big mounds of locks. Not that I go to Catholic Churches much, but I've never seen a big mound of locks in front of any of them here.

You probably have to go to a Parish of the Mercedarian Friars.
Saint Rocco Parish, OH
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, OH
Mercygrove, NY
Our Lady of Mercy Parish, NY
Philadelphia House, PA
Saint Peter Nolasco Residence, FL
Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, PA

There was one in Oaxaca taking care of the ultra sick children Many are blind, or have huge medical problems.
Nareed
Nareed
July 23rd, 2012 at 2:17:05 PM permalink

He may put up with a lot here, but nothing compared to Saint Nonnatus.

What I don't understand is why Chrisitians are so fond of using the implements used to torture or kill them as symbols. It would be like building a Holocaust museum in the shape of a crematorium...

Quote:

No se quitas tu pulgar de la grieta o el dique caiga. = Don't remove your thumb from the crack or the whole damn will collapse. (Do I get extra points, or lose them, for using the subjunctive?)

(beats me) Your Spanish reads: "Don't let your thumb remove itself from the crack or that the dike falls." Or something close to it.

I'll spot you the beginning of the correction: "No quitES tu pulgar..."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 23rd, 2012 at 3:26:08 PM permalink

What I don't understand is why Chrisitians are so fond of using the implements used to torture or kill them as symbols.

It is just a Catholic thing. Protestants find such emphasis on physical things bordering on idolatry. I don't want to speak for Catholics, but I think they would say that all the reminders of the pain Jesus and the martyrs went through are to sow an appropriate sense of guilt.
Nareed
Nareed
July 23rd, 2012 at 3:33:05 PM permalink

Protestants find such emphasis on physical things bordering on idolatry.

I've never seen the inside of a Protestant church (thank god for that), but I'd be very surprised if most of them do not prominently display a few crosses.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 23rd, 2012 at 8:59:18 PM permalink

I've never seen the inside of a Protestant church (thank god for that), but I'd be very surprised if most of them do not prominently display a few crosses.

Most of them do. However, they are just crosses, no dead body on them. Some Protestant churches make it a point to have no decoration or bible verses at all on the walls, to avoid any hint of idolatry.

Fecha: 24-07-12
Palabra: Soportar

Today's SWD means to withstand/bear. You may be wondering, as I am, how it different from aguantar. It seems to me that soportar is the stronger word. If you really can't take something even one more minute then you should probably use soportar.

Ejemplo time.

No puedo soportar los pasteles plátanos de Mary Ann, ni siquiera un día más. = I'm not able to stand Mary Ann's banana pies, not even one more day.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 24th, 2012 at 12:02:39 AM permalink

Ejemplo time.

There are two verbs quitar and quitarse. One means to remove (transitive) and the other is reflexive and means to remove oneself. First of all by using the pronoun "se" you are using the reflexive verb. Second, an "ar" verb in the subjunctive has an 'e' ending. So you are using the reflexive (which you don't mean to use), and you are not using the subjunctive, you are using the simple second person present indicative.

What you mean to use is the "negative imperative" which is the same as the subjunctive with a 'no' in front. That's why Nareed said
"No quites" (where 'quites' would be the subjunctive).

Nareed
Most of the Protestant denominations were founded in the early 16th century. One of the chief problems with the Catholic church was the widespread selling of indulgences. Many of the Protestant churches have a disdain for crucifixes and architectural embellishments. There is not the culture of 'saints" or veneration of the Virgin Mary. In Protestant religious Mary is not worshiped in her own right.

Some Protestant sanctuaries are extremely plain
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 24th, 2012 at 2:07:55 AM permalink
For a protestant church, that one looks pretty typical. You don't see a lot of decoration, just the cross, but the whole building looks like a church. You've got the vaulted ceiling, aisle down the middle, pews, stage, and lectern. I'm not sure what they do with that table at the end of the aisle. Maybe something to do with communion. Some of the modern "non-denominational" denominations deliberately shy away from owning their own building but rent out school auditoriums and things like that.

Getting back to Spanish, in my book I noticed the word tute, which was a translation of the card game gin. What do you guys know about tute?
FrGamble
FrGamble
  • Threads: 27
July 24th, 2012 at 5:54:20 AM permalink

Here is a nice looking Catholic Church.

By the way the reason martyrs are often holding their instruments of torture or death is not to make us feel guilty but more to show off and be full of pride for these brave men and women. Its almost like taking the power of the enemy and using it against them to show that they did their worst and now we are in heaven and you can't hurt us anymore. It might also be a little like saying, "nananana boo-boo" and bronx cheer for good measure.

yo quiero Taco Bell.
Nareed
Nareed
July 24th, 2012 at 6:56:14 AM permalink

Most of them do. However, they are just crosses, no dead body on them.

My question was about using an instrument of torture as a symbol, not what is on the instrument. Therefore Protestants are as guilty as Catholics in this respect.

Quote:

No puedo soportar los pasteles plátanos de Mary Ann, ni siquiera un día más. = I'm not able to stand Mary Ann's banana pies, not even one more day.

You have three errors:

Pastel = Cake
Pay (or Pie) = Pie

Next it should be "plátano" rather than "plátanos." You're referring to the pies' flavor, not the ingredients. In English you do not say "bananaS pies."

And you're missing a "DE" in the first part of the sentence.
Nareed
Nareed
July 24th, 2012 at 7:03:36 AM permalink
Quote: FrGamble

By the way the reason martyrs are often holding their instruments of torture or death is not to make us feel guilty but more to show off and be full of pride for these brave men and women. Its almost like taking the power of the enemy and using it against them to show that they did their worst and now we are in heaven and you can't hurt us anymore.

I don't see it. I see more an ongiong bad case of PTSD. That perhaps you need to have the torture implements on hand to amke sure they're not hurting anyone. As I said before, it would be like building a Holocaust memorial in the shape of a crematorium, or laying out a cemetery in the shape of a swastika. Most Holocaust memorials feature instead, promimently, the Star of David. That tells the enemy: You have done your worst and we have prevailed.

But then Judaism, for all its flaws, is concerned about life.

BTW, the Star of David is not, per se, a religious symbol, but rather a Jewish symbol. It has no religious significance at all.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 24th, 2012 at 7:28:49 AM permalink

I don't see it. I see more an ongiong bad case of PTSD.

I believe that Christians in the first two centuries were reluctant to use the cross as a symbol, precisely for the reasons you mentioned. It was a symbol of gruesome torture. But by the 2nd century it was widely seen as a symbol of the sacrifice of Jesus.

Early Protestants generally rejected the use of the crucifix. Some Protestants, notably Calvin were opposed to both cross and crucifix.

The fish is an even older symbol of Christianity than the cross, and less violent
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 24th, 2012 at 7:54:08 AM permalink

Pastel = Cake
Pay (or Pie) = Pie

I think we've been through this before, but every Spanish dictionary I've seen says pie=pastel o empanada, and there is no such Spanish word as pay o pie. I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking that you recognize that you're saying the dictionaries are wrong.

Sources: Reverso, SpanishDict

I agree that I get why most Christians use a cross as their symbol. It was not something unique to Christianity. The Romans crucified lots of criminals on them, as I understand it. Movies like The Passion of the Christ nail down (excuse the pun) the obsession with the crucifixion story.

For what it is worth, you would have a hard time to find a cross symbol at a Vineyard church.
Nareed
Nareed
July 24th, 2012 at 8:07:55 AM permalink

I think we've been through this before, but every Spanish dictionary I've seen says pie=pastel o empanada, and there is no such Spanish word as pay o pie. I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking that you recognize that you're saying the dictionaries are wrong.

Yes, we've been through this before. I'm not suggesting the dictionaries are wrong, but that's not how language is used. I mentioned before many restaurants list pies as "pays," and that a whole chain famous for its pies is called "Pays Coronado."

Quote:

I agree that I get why most Christians use a cross as their symbol. It was not something unique to Christianity. The Romans crucified lots of criminals on them, as I understand it. Movies like The Passion of the Christ nail down (excuse the pun) the obsession with the crucifixion story.

The Romans were about as notorious for their atrocities as for their engineering accomplishments. Christians, on the other hand, seem to preffer martyrs over heroes. But I've expressed my own feelings about a god letting himself be martyred as hypocritical before. In any case, the thread is going too far off-topic. I'm willing to go on, but then I'd have to prophecise a split :)
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 24th, 2012 at 8:44:51 AM permalink

Yes, we've been through this before. I'm not suggesting the dictionaries are wrong, but that's not how language is used. I mentioned before many restaurants list pies as "pays," and that a whole chain famous for its pies is called "Pays Coronado."

It is somewhat difficult to know what phrases leak from one culture to another. Simple ones like "comida corrida" or "Menus del Dia". I sometimes got the impression that restaurant owners were using "menu del dia" near the tourist areas, because it was easier to translate. Someone told me it was more common in Spain (but I am not sure).

In Cabo San Lucas at one very expensive resort favored by celebrities, all the employees use this "traditional greeting" whenever a guest walks by. The problem is that it is not a "traditional greeting" according to anyone. It seems like it was all an invention of the hotel owner so that guests feel better about shelling out hundreds of dollars per day.
Nareed
Nareed
July 24th, 2012 at 9:19:29 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

It is somewhat difficult to know what phrases leak from one culture to another. Simple ones like "comida corrida" or "Menus del Dia". I sometimes got the impression that restaurant owners were using "menu del dia" near the tourist areas, because it was easier to translate. Someone told me it was more common in Spain (but I am not sure).

Cheap restaurants are more likely to advertise "comida corrida." Medium-priced and higher have a "menú del día." Of course it varies.

BTW, your first photo is either not from Mexico, or from a border city. That price is ridiculously low for pesos.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 24th, 2012 at 9:58:17 PM permalink
Fecha: 25-07-12
Palabra: pocilga

Today's SWD means pigsty. I have no idea about the etymology of the word. The word for pig in Spanish is cerdo, and I don't see that in pocilga anywhere. I have no doubt that Paco will come to the rescue and explain it.

Ejemplo time.

Desde Mary Ann se fue en huelga, nuestro cabaña parece como una pocilga. = Since Mary Ann went on strike, our hut looks like a pigsty.
Nareed
Nareed
July 25th, 2012 at 6:36:18 AM permalink

Desde Mary Ann se fue en huelga, nuestro cabaña parece como una pocilga. = Since Mary Ann went on strike, our hut looks like a pigsty.

"Desde QUE Mary Ann se PUSO en huelga, nuestrA cabaña parece UNA..."

And you still haven't corrected the two earlier examples...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 25th, 2012 at 6:41:30 AM permalink
I did not realize you were waiting on corrections, since you pretty much told me all the errors. However, I wish to be an alumno bien.

Quote: Wiz

You have three errors:

Pastel = Cake
Pay (or Pie) = Pie

Next it should be "plátano" rather than "plátanos." You're referring to the pies' flavor, not the ingredients. In English you do not say "bananaS pies."

And you're missing a "DE" in the first part of the sentence.

No puedo soportar de los payes plátano de Mary Ann, ni siquiera un día más.
Nareed
Nareed
July 25th, 2012 at 6:57:20 AM permalink

However, I wish to be an alumno bien.

"BUEN alumno."

Quote:

No puedo soportar de los payes plátano de Mary Ann, ni siquiera un día más.

This is why you need to show your corrections.

"No puedo soportar los payS DE plátano de Mary Ann..."
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 25th, 2012 at 7:09:58 AM permalink

Cheap restaurants are more likely to advertise "comida corrida." Medium-priced and higher have a "menú del día." Of course it varies.
BTW, your first photo is either not from Mexico, or from a border city. That price is ridiculously low for pesos.

Here is a photo from D.F. This business is on sale for MXN$80,000 or less than US$6,000.

Where I lived in Oaxaca City, the comida corrida was regularly 35 pesos or less.

I had no idea who would pay Burger King prices (near the square).
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 25th, 2012 at 7:18:10 AM permalink

Fecha: 25-07-12
Palabra: pocilga

Today's SWD means pigsty. I have no idea about the etymology of the word. The word for pig in Spanish is cerdo, and I don't see that in pocilga anywhere. I have no doubt that Paco will come to the rescue and explain it.

cerdo comes from Latin seta which means bristle
pocilga comes from Latin porcus which means pig or pork

I assume one word is for the animal, and another for the meat. In English the word "pig" is Anglo Saxon in origin, while "pork" is from Latin.
Nareed
Nareed
July 25th, 2012 at 9:19:40 AM permalink

Here is a photo from D.F. This business is on sale for MXN$80,000 or less than US$6,000.

I wouldn't eat there.

Quote:

Where I lived in Oaxaca City, the comida corrida was regularly 35 pesos or less.

Almost avery other place in the country is cheaper than Mexico City, but that must ahve been some years ago. There has been a great deal of inlfation, especially in some basic staples like food.

Quote:

I had no idea who would pay Burger King prices (near the square).

Poeple who like clean food?

Seriously, lots of people. US fast food franchises tend to do very well here. Of course Taco Bell never had a chance, and I'm not sure why Wendy's wasn't a hit.
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 25th, 2012 at 9:46:31 AM permalink

Poeple who like clean food? Seriously, lots of people. US fast food franchises tend to do very well here. Of course Taco Bell never had a chance, and I'm not sure why Wendy's wasn't a hit.

Not in Oaxaca. The state has close to 4 million people. There are 3 Burger Kings, 3 McDonalds, 1 Pizza Hut, 1 Subway, and 1 KFC in the entire state.

Most of fast food was near UABJO.

The folded tlayuda's were pretty common for fast food. So were broiled chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza by the slice, tortas, etc.

Fast Food stands near the market in Oaxaca.

Pick out your meat, and they would cook it up and serve it with onions, tortillas, guacamole, and sodas.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 26th, 2012 at 7:59:58 AM permalink
Fecha: 26-07-12
Palabra: Galleta salada

Today's SWD would seem to mean salty cookie, but is the term for a pretzel.

Pretzels have been around in Germany for at least 1,000 years. In Germany they call them a ... pretzel. The question for the advanced readers is why did English adopt the German word for them, but Spanish did not?

Another question is what does the root gall mean? Here are some other words beginning in gall:

Gallardear = To behave gracefully
Gallardete = Banner
Gallina = Hen
Gallo =Rooster

Ejemplo time.

¿Moza, puede tener una Galleta salada con mi escalope de ternera con guarnición? = Waitress, may I have a pretzel with my wiener schnitzel?
Nareed
Nareed
July 26th, 2012 at 8:35:21 AM permalink

Today's SWD would seem to mean salty cookie, but is the term for a pretzel.

You won't see many pretzels in Mexico, either the crunchy snack kind or the hot, bread-like one, but when you do they're labeled as "pretzels." On the other hand, things like saltines and other salty crackers are known as "galletas saladas." It's like "pan dulce," meaning "pastry" rather than "sweet bread."

I'm guessing your book calls "pretzels" "galletas saladas." I've no idea why.

Quote:

¿Moza, puede tener una Galleta salada con mi escalope de ternera con guarnición? = Waitress, may I have a pretzel with my wiener schnitzel?

I'll give you a pass on "moza," though that would get you laughs in any restaurant here :) But in any event you're asking the waitress if she may have a cracker with your main dish with a side of something.

Let's take the second part of the sentence. I'm not sure what a "wiener schnitzel" is, but I do recall menu items like "escalopA de ternera" in some restaurants. I don't know what that is, either, as I don't eat veal, except for the ver more occasional "milanesa." "Guarnición," now, is what the main dish is accompanied with, or a side dish. So what you came up with is like saying, errors and all "Miss, may you have a cracker with my veal with garden salad?"

I'll correct the first part, too, because it's tricky. In Spanish "may I have" is non-existent. Instead you say things like "could you bring me..." or "do you have any..." In this case go with "Señorita, me puede traer galletas saldas?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 26th, 2012 at 8:59:30 AM permalink
If the waitress is old do you still call her a señorita?

We've been through this before, but in my experience most Spanish translations, and Spanish texts, are done in Spanish Spanish. That is why I keep using such terms, like moza. However, I also know of camarera, so let's use that instead. We'll also change the main course to hasenpfeffer, for which I can't find a Spanish translation. Remind me to drag you to the Hofbrauhaus your next Vegas visit.

Camarera, me puede traer galletas salada con mi hasenpfeffer.

BTW, that is wiener schnitzel in the picture, in the upper right.
Nareed
Nareed
July 26th, 2012 at 9:27:56 AM permalink

If the waitress is old do you still call her a señorita?

Yes. And you call a waiter "joven," even if he's past 150.

Quote:

However, I also know of camarera, so let's use that instead.

That word gets even less milleage, and I think it means "maid."

Quote:

Remind me to drag you to the Hofbrauhaus your next Vegas visit.

I will.

I don't know much about German food, but should I take along a heart catherization kit? ;)

Quote:

Camarera, me puede traer galletas salada con mi hasenpfeffer.

"galletas saladaS"

Quote:

BTW, that is wiener schnitzel in the picture, in the upper right.

Ok (she said none the wiser...)
pacomartin
pacomartin
July 26th, 2012 at 10:32:38 AM permalink

Pretzels have been around in Germany for at least 1,000 years. In Germany they call them a ... pretzel. The question for the advanced readers is why did English adopt the German word for them, but Spanish did not?

As Nareed said, they do call German pretzels, by the name pretzel in Mexico. Traditional Mexican deserts are different than the ones in the USA. Nearly 1 out of 6 Americans is of German origin, and it is one of the largest immigrant groups in the country. In Mexico it is more like 1 in over 200 persons are of German origin.

Pretzels were also spelled prezel or brezel, from Old High German "brezitella", from Middle Latin "brachitellum" , which presumably was a kind of biscuit baked in the shape of folded arms The Spanish word for arm is "brazo" which is a cognate.

Deserts and snacks in USA are much saltier or much sweeter than Mexican deserts probably because of Germanic influence. Naturally with greater marketing, Mexicans are eating more American style snacks, but they still tend to go for something with a lot less sugar.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 26th, 2012 at 11:48:13 AM permalink

Mexicans are eating more American style snacks, but they still tend to go for something with a lot less sugar.

Nareed kindly gave me a canasta of snacks when she was in Vegas. Some of them are extremely sweet. I suspect they are sweetened by something other than sugar, because gram for gram, they seem much sweeter than sugar.
Nareed
Nareed
July 26th, 2012 at 12:47:44 PM permalink

Nareed kindly gave me a canasta of snacks when she was in Vegas. Some of them are extremely sweet. I suspect they are sweetened by something other than sugar, because gram for gram, they seem much sweeter than sugar.

You know, I don't quite remember what was in that.

But for the WoVCon ][ party favors, I put in cajeta wafers, which are essentially cristalized goat milk and sugar; mazapanes, which are powdered peanut and sugar; glorias <w> which are milk and sugar with nuts; and tamborines, which are both salty and sweet, aside from being mildly hot.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 26th, 2012 at 9:38:44 PM permalink
Fecha: 27-07-12
Palabra: Rascar

Today's SWD means to scratch or scrape. Interestingly, the word for what we call in English a "scratch card" lottery game in Spanish is a rasca rasca.

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast rascar, rasguñar, y arañar. As a hint, the word for spider is araña, so perhaps arañar is the kind of scratching you would do if bitten by an insect or arachnid.

Ejemplo time.

Me gusta cuando Ginger le rasca mi espalda, por que ella tiene uñas afiladas y largas. = I like it when Ginger scratches my back because she has long and sharp fingernails.
Nareed
Nareed
July 27th, 2012 at 6:54:33 AM permalink

Today's SWD means to scratch or scrape. Interestingly, the word for what we call in English a "scratch card" lottery game in Spanish is a rasca rasca.

I'm not even going to bother this time.

Quote:

Me gusta cuando Ginger le rasca mi espalda, por que ella tiene uñas afiladas y largas. = I like it when Ginger scratches my back because she has long and sharp fingernails.

The "le" shoule be "me" and get rid of the "mi." Also it's "...uñas largas y filosas." "Afiladas" means "sharpened."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 27th, 2012 at 7:28:32 AM permalink

I'm not even going to bother this time.

I don't see why not.

Quote:

The "le" shoule be "me" and get rid of the "mi." Also it's "...uñas largas y filosas." "Afiladas" means "sharpened."

Me gusta cuando Ginger me rasca espalda, por que ella tiene uñas largas y filosas.

I put le because I thought it was referring to the back, but you're the expert.
Nareed
Nareed
July 27th, 2012 at 7:38:51 AM permalink

I don't see why not.

The "where did you hear that/South America/Spain/Dictionaries/Online/Translator/My Tutor Says/etc runaround is getting tiresome by now :)

Quote:

Me gusta cuando Ginger me rasca espalda, por que ella tiene uñas largas y filosas.

I put le because I thought it was referring to the back, but you're the expert.

I missed a "la" Sorry about that.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 27th, 2012 at 8:00:54 AM permalink

The "where did you hear that/South America/Spain/Dictionaries/Online/Translator/My Tutor Says/etc runaround is getting tiresome by now :)

Don't you enjoy picking up some non-Mexican Spanish?
  • Jump to: