Thread Rating:

Poll

5 votes (38.46%)
1 vote (7.69%)
1 vote (7.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (7.69%)
2 votes (15.38%)
7 votes (53.84%)
3 votes (23.07%)
3 votes (23.07%)
3 votes (23.07%)

13 members have voted

EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
  • Posts: 1739
Joined: Oct 21, 2011
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 17th, 2019 at 7:12:35 PM permalink
Ha! I just saw the back of my head on tonight's episode of Jeopardy. (There was a shot of the audience from the back in the opening few seconds.)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26679
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 17th, 2019 at 7:12:59 PM permalink
Let me make some comments on Monday's show.

First, here was my favorite clue.

Quote: Jeopardy


46,368 75,025 and 121,393 are specific to the work of this 12th and 13th century Italian Man



If you wish to blurt out the answer, please do so in spoiler tags.

After Laura lost, she and her boyfriend stole two of the WoV seats. Axel and I think FunkyDoc moved to the front row. I ended up sitting next to Laura. I congratulated her on a decent showing and being the only one to get Final Jeopardy. She thanked me and some chit-chat ensued, including her story of years of trying to get on the show. She is a cool chick. Her boyfriend is a lucky man.
Last edited by: Wizard on Sep 17, 2019
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
September 17th, 2019 at 7:17:13 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard



First, here was my favorite clue.



If you wish to blurt out the answer, please do so in spoiler tags.


Who is Fibonacci?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 327
  • Posts: 9644
Joined: Nov 9, 2009
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 18th, 2019 at 3:22:31 AM permalink
Babs will be up against a 13 game winning champ - that should be no problem!

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: ďThanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!Ē   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
Thanked by
mcallister3200CrystalMathbeachbumbabsodiousgambitJohnzimboBozAyecarumba
September 18th, 2019 at 4:49:27 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Babs will be up against a 13 game winning champ - that should be no problem!



Babs,

tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 6281
Joined: Aug 25, 2012
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 18th, 2019 at 5:10:09 AM permalink
Also if Helen would have bet optimally for Final, she would have beat Jason. :(
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14268
Joined: May 21, 2013
Thanked by
CrystalMathAyecarumba
September 18th, 2019 at 6:17:22 AM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Also if Helen would have bet optimally for Final, she would have beat Jason. :(



She knows it, too. She's very upset with herself about it.

But it goes so fast. You have no idea, I promise. They can't help you decide on your bet amount, there are hundreds of people sitting there waiting for you to get going again, you're in a daze after hyperdrive for the full double Jeopardy round.

The deciding factor for her was the category being some type of music, she thought she had a fair chance of being right. So she bet it all and hoped it would be a solo solve. But they all got snowed.

The part of the clue you had to concentrate on was the date. 1880, with Canada becoming semi-independent in 1867, was the correlation. The French stuff was a distraction, but St. Denis is a big deal in Quebec and by extension, the rest of Canada.

(The weird thing for me, was that we had 2 coffee cups for Expo 67 that said Centennial, when I was a kid, and I always did the dishes. It was held in Montreal. So I always knew the year Canada became a country.)

La Marseilles was from the French Revolution and the storming of the Bastille, which was 1789-92 and later, so it didn't make sense for them to take nearly 100 years to get an anthem they sang to rally the peasants . Fwiw, I knew it immediately because of the date (oh well), and last night, mom, who is Canadian by birth, didn't. She picked France as well. Should have done the dishes. Lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
  • Posts: 2315
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 18th, 2019 at 6:29:23 AM permalink
I'm Canadian and I thought France as well.... but also knew that that seemed too obvious from the answer/question.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 2549
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 18th, 2019 at 12:12:03 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

She knows it, too. She's very upset with herself about it.

But it goes so fast. You have no idea, I promise. They can't help you decide on your bet amount, there are hundreds of people sitting there waiting for you to get going again, you're in a daze after hyperdrive for the full double Jeopardy round.

The deciding factor for her was the category being some type of music, she thought she had a fair chance of being right. So she bet it all and hoped it would be a solo solve. But they all got snowed.

The part of the clue you had to concentrate on was the date. 1880, with Canada becoming semi-independent in 1867, was the correlation. The French stuff was a distraction, but St. Denis is a big deal in Quebec and by extension, the rest of Canada.

(The weird thing for me, was that we had 2 coffee cups for Expo 67 that said Centennial, when I was a kid, and I always did the dishes. It was held in Montreal. So I always knew the year Canada became a country.)

La Marseilles was from the French Revolution and the storming of the Bastille, which was 1789-92 and later, so it didn't make sense for them to take nearly 100 years to get an anthem they sang to rally the peasants . Fwiw, I knew it immediately because of the date (oh well), and last night, mom, who is Canadian by birth, didn't. She picked France as well. Should have done the dishes. Lol...



I would not have pieced it together in time had I been a contestant, but I would get it with enough time.

My reasoning was this. France is just too obvious an answer. If that was the asnwer, it would be like asking if they eat Mexican food in Mexico. Clearly a misdirection. What is another country where a lot of french is spoken, and on our radar enough that we might reasonably expected to get the answer?

Cana-duh!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26679
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 18th, 2019 at 3:19:25 PM permalink
I'm going to try to split off these roulette posts.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26679
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 18th, 2019 at 3:22:44 PM permalink
Posts about EvenBob's roulette strategy have been split off to THE EVENBOB METHOD TO BEATING ROULETTE.

Let's try to keep this thread on the topic of Jeopardy, especially Barb's big day!
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29010
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 18th, 2019 at 3:26:07 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Posts about EvenBob's roulette strategy have been split off to THE EVENBOB METHOD TO BEATING ROULETTE.

Let's try to keep this thread on the topic of Jeopardy, especially Barb's big day!



But it's not a method to beat anything,
please change the title. How could
betting with a streak win, it's not possible.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 2113
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
September 18th, 2019 at 3:41:49 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm going to try to split off these roulette posts.



This thread has produced more spin-offs than Happy Days
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26679
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 18th, 2019 at 3:43:37 PM permalink
Quote: michael99000

This thread has produced more spin-offs than Happy Days



Trivia Time! Which television show has garnered the most spin-offs?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12032
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
September 18th, 2019 at 3:52:35 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Trivia Time! Which television show has garnered the most spin-offs?



I thought they should have had a spin off called "Meathead"
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 253
Joined: Feb 7, 2014
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 18th, 2019 at 3:54:04 PM permalink
It's coming on in 7 minutes here in northeast New York. Good luck beachbumbabs!!!!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29010
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 18th, 2019 at 4:15:37 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Trivia Time! Which television show has garnered the most spin-offs?



OMG, Wheel of Fortune is still on?
Pat Sajack and Vanna White look
ridiculous, they're so old. What
a boring show, I turned down the
sound after 5 min.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 18th, 2019 at 4:35:49 PM permalink
Love that a casino category came up
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
  • Posts: 5701
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
September 18th, 2019 at 4:41:24 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Love that a casino category came up



Remember some are on WC time.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
September 18th, 2019 at 4:43:06 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Remember some are on WC time.


I think that was already divulged in this thread.

But I forgot about silly time zones so I will zip it
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26679
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 18th, 2019 at 4:55:08 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Love that a casino category came up



What are the odds?
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
September 18th, 2019 at 4:55:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

What are the odds?


And a burning man answer!
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
September 18th, 2019 at 5:08:36 PM permalink
It's not fair that you people live on the wrong side of the country. We should be able to discuss
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14484
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
September 18th, 2019 at 5:15:17 PM permalink
so when can we discuss this.... I could not watch it in the poorhouse.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2994
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 18th, 2019 at 7:31:49 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Trivia Time! Which television show has garnered the most spin-offs?


Live long and prosper.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5063
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
September 18th, 2019 at 7:46:51 PM permalink
Anybody have a link? My mom asked me to tape it for her but I seemed to have screwed that up lol.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 4661
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
September 18th, 2019 at 8:15:23 PM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

Anybody have a link? My mom asked me to tape it for her but I seemed to have screwed that up lol.

Same request here.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29010
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 18th, 2019 at 8:16:32 PM permalink
Can we discuss it now? It's after
8pm in Calif.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 4661
Joined: Jul 1, 2018
September 18th, 2019 at 8:18:06 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Can we discuss it now? It's after
8pm in Calif.

I vote yes, and that People that havenít seen it and donít want spoilers should just avoid the remainder of this thread after my post.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 18th, 2019 at 8:33:45 PM permalink
Real post way down below
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x

I wrote some thoughts on the fly while watching.

- Flash first impression - wait is that Michael Shackleford's brother, the current champion? If you squint enough he looks similar.

- hey there really is a casino category. Not surprised you missed the James Bond question. Slow on the button? thought you'd get at least 2 more of those.

- Thought it was great you took a couple wins out of the gate.

- thought that tornado question was a trick question. It seemed too obvious the USA was #1, but I didn't know that for sure and would have hesitated.

-double jeopardy, Oh oh, the champion has seemed to gotten his game on. He's pulling ahead. I'm hoping you remember to keep calm, and but keep pressing to the last second --- there's always a chance, something will turn around even on the final question, if you have enough to compete with the leader.

ah, commercial before final jeopardy -- can't really count on this guy to bet enough to jeopardize his win. Perhaps he will faint and have to be carried out? Not much hope, I admit.

Rats.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29010
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
September 18th, 2019 at 8:44:46 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Real post way down below
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
xx
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x



I've never seen the show except for
bits of it in movies like Groundhog
Day. Nobody told me it was rigged,
what a joke of a show.

The winner coming back after winning
the round just minutes before, has
a huge edge over the two rookies. He's
warmed up, he's in the groove. And
after winning 5 in a row and coming back
for the next week, he's an old pro. Cool
and calm, just mow them down.

Even Alex was obviously rooting for him.
Barb and the other guy didn't have a
chance. That's what this show is about,
the winner continuing to win and making
people root for or against him.

Look what he did. He was down a lot at
one point and cool as a cucumber. He
just plodded along, building his lead
while the brains of the other two players
are trying to cope with 'first time' stress and
anxiety. Of course he won.

Awful show, very unfair and rigged so
the winner can keep winning and
drawing an audience. Much more fair
for a winner to play other winners only.
Wait till there are 3 one time winners,
they play each other. Keep rotating
other winners into the rotation. What
I saw tonight was a travesty, one cool
customer and two others trying like
crazy to figure it out. Not fair at all.
Last edited by: EvenBob on Sep 19, 2019
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26679
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 18th, 2019 at 9:20:48 PM permalink
First, I say it's fair to openly talk about the show. Anybody who wants to watch it first can abstain from reading the tread until they have had the chance to watch it.

Second, here is my take, and much of this comes from comments Barbara made afterward. That game all came down to the clicker and who found the Daily Doubles. The questions were overall pretty easy. I think Barbara would give Jason a run for his money if luck were taken out of the game. As I recall, an employee of the show gave Barbara advice on the clicker during the first commercial break. It's possible that said advice actually hurt Barb's game. You could see that Jason dominated in Double Jeopardy, clicking in on the vast majority of Clues.

What are the odds there would be a casino game category, a Burning Man Clue, and an eclipse-related question all on Barb's game. I thought I knew Heavy Metal pretty well, but that category humbled me.

I'll have more comments tomorrow, but that's my quick summary.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29010
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
Thanked by
petroglyph
September 18th, 2019 at 9:44:02 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

It's possible that said advice actually hurt Barb's game. You could see that Jason dominated in Double Jeopardy, clicking in on the vast majority of Clues.



Why wouldn't he, he's a veteran
player. Barb was literally trying
to figure the clicker out while
this guy is on cruise control.

Am I the only one who see's
what a joke this is? How unfair?
I couldn't believe what I was
seeing. At least on Chopped
they pit former winners against
former winners to make it fair.
Barb and the other guy didn't
have deer in the headlights
looks, but it was damn close.
Last edited by: EvenBob on Sep 19, 2019
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 45
  • Posts: 2994
Joined: Nov 26, 2018
September 18th, 2019 at 10:25:57 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Not surprised you missed the James Bond question.


I would have loved to have responded, "What is Chemin de Fer?" and then dared them to say I was wrong.

Hmm, I wonder if Babs and Jon can get invited back over a faulty question.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
September 18th, 2019 at 10:35:51 PM permalink
It was merely an unfortunate stroke to run up against a better than average champion on her first day.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
  • Posts: 2972
Joined: Jun 17, 2011
September 18th, 2019 at 10:49:53 PM permalink
Here's the link that I found for Wednesday's game - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ld8v3
Well played BBB to come second. As has been said the champion was on fire and when he got the two Daily Doubles it was all over.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 14268
Joined: May 21, 2013
September 19th, 2019 at 12:59:05 AM permalink
Had a very tiring day, including people shooting steel tipped hunting arrows into our yard and having the police come over right at Jeopardy time. Thought they might have been shooting at the dogs, but it was redneck foolishness. One went through the screen into the pool. I have 3 hunting arrows for sale, btw.

Saved you guys to enjoy once people had gone home.

Watching it tonight, I counted 49 I got right, plus final Jeopardy. I missed 2, didn't try to answer 9 others. So 51 times I buzzed in. 15 I got to answer right or wrong, plus FJ. Found no DDs. Zip. Zero. Died on buzzerblock.

One of the 2 I missed, I had gotten so frustrated about the buzzer issue I was just buzzing to try and get in, figure out why i was getting shut out. Had no idea what I'd buzzed in on, or that it was a photo clue, and couldn't find the monitor with the picture 30+ feet away. So, squint while making a d'oh sound for the amusement of millions while the clock is ticking, then say something lame. Not my finest moment. You could call it a tilt, in fact. But I realized right then I'd done that and at least didn't repeat it.

More to say tomorrow but wanted to add a little to the conversation. Falling over sleepy. Thanks all for watching and commenting.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 2549
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
September 19th, 2019 at 1:38:37 AM permalink
I think a big bad break was when Babs was first to answer on the brand names question, where all the spellings of the words were wrong. And for a large dollar amount, iirc.

Whoever got the first answer in that category was very likely to miss it, particularly on the less obvious ones. After that, everybody realizes the gimmick and it becomes far easier.


Mike, those questions in the metal category where easy! I felt like the champion was kind of amused at how easy they were too. If that's what you grew up with, they were equivalent to "The object of this card game is to get as close to 21 as possible without going over."

The bands they chose were very fluffy though. Some were arguably not really metal.

My mom and I were watching some older episodes on netflix and laughing at how unbelievably lame everyone's personal stories are. Like, one lady's was that she was on vacation once and missed a ferry. Seriously. Or they are like, "I own 4 cacti." "One time, I thought I saw Tom Selleck but it turned out not to be him." "I've bought the same brand of cat food for 7 years."

Bab's story has to be one of the coolest in the show's history.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
September 19th, 2019 at 3:57:01 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Had a very tiring day, including people shooting steel tipped hunting arrows into our yard and having the police come over right at Jeopardy time. Thought they might have been shooting at the dogs, but it was redneck foolishness. One went through the screen into the pool. I have 3 hunting arrows for sale, btw.

Saved you guys to enjoy once people had gone home.

Watching it tonight, I counted 49 I got right, plus final Jeopardy. I missed 2, didn't try to answer 9 others. So 51 times I buzzed in. 15 I got to answer right or wrong, plus FJ. Found no DDs. Zip. Zero. Died on buzzerblock.

One of the 2 I missed, I had gotten so frustrated about the buzzer issue I was just buzzing to try and get in, figure out why i was getting shut out. Had no idea what I'd buzzed in on, or that it was a photo clue, and couldn't find the monitor with the picture 30+ feet away. So, squint while making a d'oh sound for the amusement of millions while the clock is ticking, then say something lame. Not my finest moment. You could call it a tilt, in fact. But I realized right then I'd done that and at least didn't repeat it.

More to say tomorrow but wanted to add a little to the conversation. Falling over sleepy. Thanks all for watching and commenting.



Hi BBB... Sorry it did not go your way. I wanted to say sorry months ago but didn't want to put you in weird position to have to ignore/deny it.

After the last question of the casino category I saw you get annoyed/frustrated/pissed. I hope that didn't throw you off your game. Do you recall that sequence? Was it because you only got 1 of that category to answer? Seemed like you were angry at the buzzer.

So after your experience do you feel differently about the show? Do you think they should change the way the buzzer works? As you mentioned the questions are not overly hard, I even got about 20 of them right and I suck at trivia. I don't think it is anything earth shattering but it seems like there is too much emphasis on just winning the buzzer. Do you know where you went wrong on the buzzer? Could you just not figure out where the timing was?

Again I am sorry that you did not win but I hope your experience was everything you wanted it to be after so many years of trying.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Puckerbutt
Puckerbutt
  • Threads: 1
  • Posts: 176
Joined: Sep 24, 2013
Thanked by
DRichbeachbumbabs
September 19th, 2019 at 4:15:18 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Bab's story has to be one of the coolest in the show's history.

Jon's story about Axel naming the cat was pretty cool too.
If'n I'd a knowed you wanted to have went with me - I'd a seen that you got to get to go.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11139
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
September 19th, 2019 at 5:48:09 AM permalink
Congratulations Babs! You are now part of an elite group of people who have made it onto Jeopardy. Susan, Jonathan, David, Yvonne and I are proud of you. Do you get an actual check from Jeopardy? If you do, make sure you make a copy to frame!
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8626
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
September 19th, 2019 at 5:49:25 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Congratulations Babs! You are now part of an elite group of people who have made it onto Jeopardy. Susan, Jonathan, David, Yvonne and I are proud of you. Do you get an actual check from Jeopardy? If you do, make sure you make a copy to frame!


To cash multiple times*
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 6615
Joined: Sep 26, 2012
September 19th, 2019 at 5:49:25 AM permalink
It seemed like he had a clear advantage with the clicker, which is not surprising as he was there for so many episodes prior.

This was discussed during James Holzhauer's run. The longer you're there, the more comfortable you become with the clicker timing and you get a big advantage over the newbies.

I couldn't believe the very first question picked was about Pai Gow Poker! Made my heart swoon.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1497
  • Posts: 26679
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
September 19th, 2019 at 5:51:54 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Congratulations Babs!



Indeed. Just getting on is a huge badge of honor. I've yet to jump over even the first of their many hurdles.

I was browsing the Jeopardy web site, where there's an interview of Jason, the current champion. Here is one Q&A:

Q: After being off for the summer, were you nervous that you might have lost your touch when you came back to play again?

A: Certainly. Yeah, absolutely. You never know. The buzzer has always been magic to me, even during those shows (last season) and even today. You never know. I never know if I'm going to get in. It's an art, not a science.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
  • Posts: 1155
Joined: Sep 29, 2010
September 19th, 2019 at 6:47:21 AM permalink
It looked to me like you were getting exasperated when unable to buzz in, that would piss me off. Losing out by a millisecond on a $2000 answer is a $4000 switch when an opponent gets it correct.

That happens a couple times and it is hard to recover
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
  • Posts: 2428
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
September 19th, 2019 at 6:50:18 AM permalink
Congrats, Babs! Sorry you did not win, but I thought you played well. I could tell watching the show that the buzzer was unkind to you for most of the night.

Quote: Gialmere

I would have loved to have responded, "What is Chemin de Fer?" and then dared them to say I was wrong.

Hmm, I wonder if Babs and Jon can get invited back over a faulty question.

Indeed. Actually, one could argue that Bacarrat was technically wrong. IIRC, James Bond only played Chemin de Fer in the films (and novels).

Quote: Rigondeaux

I think a big bad break was when Babs was first to answer on the brand names question, where all the spellings of the words were wrong. And for a large dollar amount, iirc.

Whoever got the first answer in that category was very likely to miss it, particularly on the less obvious ones. After that, everybody realizes the gimmick and it becomes far easier.

I was thinking the same thing. When I heard the clue, I thought to myself "one 'F' or two?" And at that point in the game, a correct response would have given her a substantial lead (plus control of the board), but the wrong response brought her back to the pack. Very unfortunate.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 12032
Joined: Jul 6, 2012
September 19th, 2019 at 7:14:56 AM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

It looked to me like you were getting exasperated when unable to buzz in, that would piss me off. Losing out by a millisecond on a $2000 answer is a $4000 switch when an opponent gets it correct.

That happens a couple times and it is hard to recover



Babs, congrats! You did very well. I thought it was interesting how frustrated you were. Maybe I don't always watch as closely as I did last night, but I have never seen a contestant show as much frustration as you did. I assumed you were having buzzer issues.

Babs, do you think it was coincidence that there was a casino category? It makes me think that maybe they bias the categories a little based on contestants.

Again, congrats we are all proud of your showing.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
  • Posts: 9854
Joined: Sep 20, 2013
September 19th, 2019 at 9:01:50 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Babs, congrats! You did very well. I thought it was interesting how frustrated you were. Maybe I don't always watch as closely as I did last night, but I have never seen a contestant show as much frustration as you did. I assumed you were having buzzer issues.

Babs, do you think it was coincidence that there was a casino category? It makes me think that maybe they bias the categories a little based on contestants.

Again, congrats we are all proud of your showing.



I was wondering the same. I am sure they would prefer to have a game with mostly answered questions instead of having 5 categories where people dont know any of them and the scores are -2000, -400, and 200.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder
  • Threads: 26
  • Posts: 5063
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
September 19th, 2019 at 9:23:44 AM permalink
As Iíve said to you in private Iím very proud of you! Itís so cool that I have a friend thatís been on jeopardy! I grew up watching the show.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. ó Amarillo Slim Preston
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
  • Posts: 3540
Joined: Dec 28, 2014
September 19th, 2019 at 10:11:23 AM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

I would have loved to have responded, "What is Chemin de Fer?" and then dared them to say I was wrong.


Hah I thought the same thing. I think they would have accepted the answer, or if Alex said incorrect at first, come back after the break and award points for that answer. That happens from time to time.

I was surprised they took ďthe moochĒ as a correct answer for Anthony Scarramucci, or at least didnít ask him to be more specific.
  • Jump to: