3 votes (23.07%)

13 members have voted

RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanks for this post from:
beachbumbabs
May 8th, 2019 at 8:42:51 AM permalink
I'm adding a $1 freeroll to babs if she gets on the show and beats James Holzhaeur.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
May 8th, 2019 at 10:14:31 AM permalink
Thanks, guys! I'm here an hour early, chilling in the parking lot. Lost nearly an hour behind a traffic jam coming down here, so lunch is not happening. But they don't admit you late, so I'm happy to be early.

Fingers crossed they hit my strong categories in the audition and the test!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Gialmeremcallister3200JoemanSkittleCar1AyecarumbaunJontringlomane
May 8th, 2019 at 6:00:21 PM permalink
Ok, back home. That was a lot of fun, group of 24 very nervous people. We had to promise not to discuss the content of ANY of the tests, so I promised, and I've taken down the video of my online test (earlier in this thread) as well.

In general.

The contestant coordinator said they had 3000 people compete for the WPB audition. They brought in only 48 of us. 24 in the morning, 24 this afternoon. They audition 2500/year, and about 400 get on TV.

They had us fill out more forms, then took a poloroid head shot and handed it back to you to put in your audition paperwork.

The audition ran 3 hours. We took 2, not 1, 50 question tests - they were trying a new one and wanted validation, so they gave both. You had 15 seconds per question online - we had 8 seconds per question in person, so it went fast. I think I scored 47+ on each, though, cuz they were good q's for me. Maybe as bad as 45 on the second one, but both were pretty good.

They had Sarah, the blond clue crew woman, there to talk with us while they scored our tests.

It appeared they ranked us by how we did in the tests, for boot camp and interviews. If so, I was 5th among them, in the 2nd group.

Alex Trebek talked a little by remote hookup. They pretended it was live, but I'm pretty sure it was canned. No biggie, it was still special.

They called us up by 3s, gave us signal buttons hooked to a computer, and we played a mock game projected on a screen for 15 or so questions. They discussed techniques, how the lights worked to cue you, some other details.

Then they interviewed us while still standing there one by one. Some people talked for maybe a minute. A few talked for 2-3. I was one of only a couple she kept talking for about 5 minutes. I kept thinking we were done and she kept going with more questions/conversation. I think that's a good thing - not sure. They videotaped the games and the interviews, I'm assuming for the producers in LA to look at.

There were several teachers, a couple college students, a couple professors, a really cool insurance salesman (in my group). I was probably a little older than the average, but not the oldest in the room. I had my hair done, wore makeup, and I think good flattering clothes for tv. It felt like I did well, but they were very personable with everyone.

If I passed the audition, I'll be in the show pool for 18 months. They tape July thru April, mostly, a couple days a week.

I feel really lucky to have gotten this far. I hope I end up on the show, but I guess we'll see! I'll keep you posted.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 37
beachbumbabs
May 8th, 2019 at 6:12:29 PM permalink
It sounds like you broke two legs. Very cool.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1317
May 8th, 2019 at 6:41:36 PM permalink
Thanks for the report Barb! I'm glad you're feeling good about it. I tried out for Tic Tac Dough many years ago and felt like a total dunce in the elevator going back to the parking garage. There was a weed-out test at the beginning that I failed. In my defense, I was in my early 20's at the time.

If you're open to hedging your bets, I'll wager even money you get called before the 18 months is up.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
May 8th, 2019 at 6:45:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for the report Barb! I'm glad you're feeling good about it. I tried out for Tic Tac Dough many years ago and felt like a total dunce in the elevator going back to the parking garage. There was a weed-out test at the beginning that I failed. In my defense, I was in my early 20's at the time.

If you're open to hedging your bets, I'll wager even money you get called before the 18 months is up.

I'll take that as a very nice compliment, thanks! I'm superstitious enough that I can't bet against an outcome I want to happen. I'm game for anybody else taking a wager on it, though, either side.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
SkittleCar1Ayecarumba
May 8th, 2019 at 7:02:49 PM permalink
Some more interesting facts from the Q and A.

- They have 15 writers and researchers on staff, and the most junior has been doing it 15 years.

The Clue crew of Jimmy and Sarah have been working together for 18 years, and consider each other "work spouses". They're both married to other people, their fsmiloes are friends, and she has 2 kids ages 5 and 1. She used to travel 3 weeks each month, but is down to about 5 days/month now.

Jimmy does not like the crazy clues. He likes sports. He does not like sharks, and jumped out of the tank instead of shooting a clue with a nurse shark. Sarah did it.

Her favorite clues to shoot are the ones that have to happen in one take, because it's an extra challenge. Her favorite one of those was a flight she took with the Blue Angels, on a question about gravity. She didn't QUITE pass out. The Angels bet on 1) whether she'd black out -yes, for a moment, and 2) whether she'd puke -no.

Alex is doing very well with his cancer treatments, and they all love him dearly. They're moving the shooting schedule around as needed for his therapy. If he retires, Sarah would like to see someone who's played the game well and would fit in with the program. She agreed Buzzy and Ken would be among those who should be considered (people suggested them ).

The buzzer reset/delay is .25 of a second penalty for ringing in too early. Those penalties do accumulate if you keep buzzing before your reset and/or lights.

The judges table during the show is the head producer, head writer, a couple other writers/researchers, and standards and practices from the network (think there was one other person). They go through some elaborate random-ing in order to ensure no one has any unfair advantage or advance info on the content.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1317
May 8th, 2019 at 9:53:38 PM permalink
I love it when Jeopardy Sarah makes an appearance.

It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 30
beachbumbabs
May 8th, 2019 at 11:53:13 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

...a lot of fun...to have gotten this far. I hope I end up on the show, but I guess we'll see! I'll keep you posted.

Best of luck and hope your'e chosen, it does seem hopeful.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 9th, 2019 at 12:21:14 AM permalink
Thanks for the updates BBB! I am very excited for you, and looking forward to your long run on the show.

The buzzer was very interesting. Is there a light that signals when it is okay to press the plunger, or do you have to anticipate when Alex finishes the clue?

Was the pool evenly divided between men and women?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci

• Jump to: