3 votes (23.07%)

13 members have voted

RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 8th, 2019 at 8:42:51 AM permalink
I'm adding a $1 freeroll to babs if she gets on the show and beats James Holzhaeur.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 8th, 2019 at 10:14:31 AM permalink
Thanks, guys! I'm here an hour early, chilling in the parking lot. Lost nearly an hour behind a traffic jam coming down here, so lunch is not happening. But they don't admit you late, so I'm happy to be early.

Fingers crossed they hit my strong categories in the audition and the test!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
Gialmeremcallister3200JoemanSkittleCar1AyecarumbaunJontringlomane
May 8th, 2019 at 6:00:21 PM permalink
Ok, back home. That was a lot of fun, group of 24 very nervous people. We had to promise not to discuss the content of ANY of the tests, so I promised, and I've taken down the video of my online test (earlier in this thread) as well.

In general.

The contestant coordinator said they had 3000 people compete for the WPB audition. They brought in only 48 of us. 24 in the morning, 24 this afternoon. They audition 2500/year, and about 400 get on TV.

They had us fill out more forms, then took a poloroid head shot and handed it back to you to put in your audition paperwork.

The audition ran 3 hours. We took 2, not 1, 50 question tests - they were trying a new one and wanted validation, so they gave both. You had 15 seconds per question online - we had 8 seconds per question in person, so it went fast. I think I scored 47+ on each, though, cuz they were good q's for me. Maybe as bad as 45 on the second one, but both were pretty good.

They had Sarah, the blond clue crew woman, there to talk with us while they scored our tests.

It appeared they ranked us by how we did in the tests, for boot camp and interviews. If so, I was 5th among them, in the 2nd group.

Alex Trebek talked a little by remote hookup. They pretended it was live, but I'm pretty sure it was canned. No biggie, it was still special.

They called us up by 3s, gave us signal buttons hooked to a computer, and we played a mock game projected on a screen for 15 or so questions. They discussed techniques, how the lights worked to cue you, some other details.

Then they interviewed us while still standing there one by one. Some people talked for maybe a minute. A few talked for 2-3. I was one of only a couple she kept talking for about 5 minutes. I kept thinking we were done and she kept going with more questions/conversation. I think that's a good thing - not sure. They videotaped the games and the interviews, I'm assuming for the producers in LA to look at.

There were several teachers, a couple college students, a couple professors, a really cool insurance salesman (in my group). I was probably a little older than the average, but not the oldest in the room. I had my hair done, wore makeup, and I think good flattering clothes for tv. It felt like I did well, but they were very personable with everyone.

If I passed the audition, I'll be in the show pool for 18 months. They tape July thru April, mostly, a couple days a week.

I feel really lucky to have gotten this far. I hope I end up on the show, but I guess we'll see! I'll keep you posted.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 8th, 2019 at 6:12:29 PM permalink
It sounds like you broke two legs. Very cool.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
May 8th, 2019 at 6:41:36 PM permalink
Thanks for the report Barb! I'm glad you're feeling good about it. I tried out for Tic Tac Dough many years ago and felt like a total dunce in the elevator going back to the parking garage. There was a weed-out test at the beginning that I failed. In my defense, I was in my early 20's at the time.

If you're open to hedging your bets, I'll wager even money you get called before the 18 months is up.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 8th, 2019 at 6:45:29 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Thanks for the report Barb! I'm glad you're feeling good about it. I tried out for Tic Tac Dough many years ago and felt like a total dunce in the elevator going back to the parking garage. There was a weed-out test at the beginning that I failed. In my defense, I was in my early 20's at the time.

If you're open to hedging your bets, I'll wager even money you get called before the 18 months is up.

I'll take that as a very nice compliment, thanks! I'm superstitious enough that I can't bet against an outcome I want to happen. I'm game for anybody else taking a wager on it, though, either side.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
SkittleCar1Ayecarumba
May 8th, 2019 at 7:02:49 PM permalink
Some more interesting facts from the Q and A.

- They have 15 writers and researchers on staff, and the most junior has been doing it 15 years.

The Clue crew of Jimmy and Sarah have been working together for 18 years, and consider each other "work spouses". They're both married to other people, their fsmiloes are friends, and she has 2 kids ages 5 and 1. She used to travel 3 weeks each month, but is down to about 5 days/month now.

Jimmy does not like the crazy clues. He likes sports. He does not like sharks, and jumped out of the tank instead of shooting a clue with a nurse shark. Sarah did it.

Her favorite clues to shoot are the ones that have to happen in one take, because it's an extra challenge. Her favorite one of those was a flight she took with the Blue Angels, on a question about gravity. She didn't QUITE pass out. The Angels bet on 1) whether she'd black out -yes, for a moment, and 2) whether she'd puke -no.

Alex is doing very well with his cancer treatments, and they all love him dearly. They're moving the shooting schedule around as needed for his therapy. If he retires, Sarah would like to see someone who's played the game well and would fit in with the program. She agreed Buzzy and Ken would be among those who should be considered (people suggested them ).

The buzzer reset/delay is .25 of a second penalty for ringing in too early. Those penalties do accumulate if you keep buzzing before your reset and/or lights.

The judges table during the show is the head producer, head writer, a couple other writers/researchers, and standards and practices from the network (think there was one other person). They go through some elaborate random-ing in order to ensure no one has any unfair advantage or advance info on the content.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
May 8th, 2019 at 9:53:38 PM permalink
I love it when Jeopardy Sarah makes an appearance.

charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 8th, 2019 at 11:53:13 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

...a lot of fun...to have gotten this far. I hope I end up on the show, but I guess we'll see! I'll keep you posted.

Best of luck and hope your'e chosen, it does seem hopeful.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 9th, 2019 at 12:21:14 AM permalink
Thanks for the updates BBB! I am very excited for you, and looking forward to your long run on the show.

The buzzer was very interesting. Is there a light that signals when it is okay to press the plunger, or do you have to anticipate when Alex finishes the clue?

Was the pool evenly divided between men and women?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 9th, 2019 at 3:39:59 AM permalink
Nm.. not sure I should say that
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
Ayecarumbatringlomane
May 9th, 2019 at 6:29:00 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Thanks for the updates BBB! I am very excited for you, and looking forward to your long run on the show.

The buzzer was very interesting. Is there a light that signals when it is okay to press the plunger, or do you have to anticipate when Alex finishes the clue?

Was the pool evenly divided between men and women?

There are 3 edge lights on each of the top, bottom, left, and right of the board, just outside the border of the clues. They are off when the camera shows the whole.board during a clue selection. When they cut to the shot of the individual clue, they will come on in the split second Alex (or the clue-giver) finishes reading, indicating players can ring in.

Timing is critical. If you anticipate too much, you will be locked out. If you keep ringing in, in less than..25 sec intervals, you will compound the penalty. But there is also (reportedly) a split second before the lights where the buzzer is active. You have to get into the rhythm the buzzer-person is using to beat it.

It's a big advantage for the champion, because they've had 60 or so questions to get used to it (at a minimum). Despite the penalties, they say the best plan is to ring at the earliest legal point and keep pressing the buzzer until someone is called on.

If the person who got called on answers incorrectly, the lights will be relit as soon as the other two are allowed to try it. Same penalty applies. And lit again for the third if the 2nd misses, too.

Button-mashing with one hand is encouraged, but they don't allow you to hold it in one hand and mash with the other, that's because you will hold it in front of your chest to do that and your mic will pick up the clicking.

The people I saw, I would say was 14 men, 10 women. No people of color (one man said he had a Japanese grandfather- that was about as diverse as it got, though 1 woman might have been Hispanic ). 2 college-age students, 1 older college student. Those who were teachers of K-12 had dual tryouts, for both general contestant and teacher tournament pool. I think about 6 of the women and 2 guys were teachers. I would guess 7 people in their 20s, 3 in 30s, 6 in 40s, 8 were 50 or older.

Several of the men were engineers, including one who ran the local nuclear power plant. Everybody except 1 wanted to travel with their winnings (standard question in the interview). Probably about 4 PhD and 8-10 advanced degree people there.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
May 9th, 2019 at 7:25:03 AM permalink
Thanks for the contestant selection insight, Babs! From what you told us, I would bet that you will get the call to be on the show.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 9th, 2019 at 7:41:07 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Thanks for the contestant selection insight, Babs! From what you told us, I would bet that you will get the call to be on the show.

I hope you're right, joeman! I'm not an unbiased observer, so tough to tell. Fingers crossed.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 9th, 2019 at 8:16:57 AM permalink

... there is also (reportedly) a split second before the lights where the buzzer is active. You have to get into the rhythm the buzzer-person is using to beat it.

I would say it is critical to find out whether this 'reportedly' aspect is a fact or not. And is the initial penalty also a quarter-second?

Quote:

... they say the best plan is to ring at the earliest legal point and keep pressing the buzzer until someone is called on.

but at more than quarter-second intervals perhaps, in other words not manically. I've never seen anyone clicking manically get called, though I can't be sure it doesn't happen, but was hard to tell it does. Those who click like crazy even after someone else got called look idiotic.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Joeman
Joeman
Thanked by
Ayecarumba
May 9th, 2019 at 8:44:51 AM permalink

Several of the men were engineers, including one who ran the local nuclear power plant.

The St. Lucie FP&L plant? I remember my high school physics teacher gave us extra credit if we made the trek up there and took their tour. A couple of buddies and I drove up there one Saturday morning. It was a neat little tour. Not sure if they still offer it.

BTW, who is running the plant if he's doing Jeopardy! auditions??? ;)
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
May 9th, 2019 at 8:58:03 AM permalink
Excellent report, as well as what seems to be a very decent chance of making it on the show. It certainly isn't something I could do and give yourself a great big pat on the back for making it this far!

I am curious about one thing. If you DO make it on the show, or even into the pool, are you going to be able to let us know?
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
Thanked by
Ayecarumba
May 9th, 2019 at 8:59:50 AM permalink

They have a guy come in from the Ukraine to watch over things. Apparently he doesn't have much to do over there.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
beachbumbabsCrystalMathAyecarumba
May 9th, 2019 at 10:17:47 AM permalink

The St. Lucie FP&L plant? I remember my high school physics teacher gave us extra credit if we made the trek up there and took their tour. A couple of buddies and I drove up there one Saturday morning. It was a neat little tour. Not sure if they still offer it.

Homer Simpson
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
Hullabaloo
May 9th, 2019 at 10:28:17 AM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

Excellent report, as well as what seems to be a very decent chance of making it on the show. It certainly isn't something I could do and give yourself a great big pat on the back for making it this far!

I am curious about one thing. If you DO make it on the show, or even into the pool, are you going to be able to let us know?

The note they handed out at the test, that I just got a chance to read, says that I AM already in the contestant pool for the next 18 months. Which is a little confusing, but very good news.

I'm pretty sure I can reveal if and when I get a call to go out there and maybe get on. They say they try to give a 1 month notice, but I've seen at least one person who had less than 2 weeks notice.

They say that if you go, you pay your own way though they have a show discount with a couple hotels. If you are a champ and have to return for a future taping, they'll pay the air fare but hotel is still on you. If you go, there's no guarantee you'll be on the show during the taping (s) you attend. Idk how they determine who gets on, once those eligible are physically at the studio, or how many people are standing by to play.

I'm pretty sure that both the audience and the players are not allowed to discuss anything about the taping until it airs.
Joeman
Joeman
May 9th, 2019 at 10:55:18 AM permalink
I had a close friend appear on Wheel of Fortune a few years back. He was able to tell me about the process in detail as soon as he got back, but couldn't talk about the results of the show until after it aired. I think it would be similar for Jeopardy contestants.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 9th, 2019 at 11:03:18 AM permalink
Wow! Great stuff, Babs! Hope you get picked!
GWAE
GWAE
May 9th, 2019 at 12:13:35 PM permalink
When you get on I hope you are to at least say you got on and maybe if James was your opponent
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
  • Threads: 3
May 10th, 2019 at 12:36:54 PM permalink
How do they keep the audience from revealing anything?
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 10th, 2019 at 8:00:14 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

How do they keep the audience from revealing anything?

I genuinely don't know. They did not reveal anything about where things are to us, except to say that all of season 35 is taped, and season 36 will start taping in July, and begin airing early September. So we don't know if James is still champion for sure.

However, the lead coordinator asked us, cheerleader style, who among us wants to be the one to knock James off (everyone ). Then she asked who among us hopes someone else knocks him off before we have to face him. (Everyone again).

Take that as you will. I took it that he's still on. But you can make a case for the other side of it, too.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
May 10th, 2019 at 11:03:23 PM permalink
I don't remember where I heard this, but I hear the lights are quite bright in the player's faces, so visual clues from the audience would be tough. Given that it is a fast-paced game and isn't a multiple choice, I don't think coughing or attempts at Morse code would be effective. Not that I endorse cheating, of course, and I'm sure Barb would be equally in favor of a fair game.

Bob Dancer has been on Jeopardy and I have an appearance coming up on GWAE, mind if I ask him for some tips for you on the show?
GWAE
GWAE
May 11th, 2019 at 12:42:55 AM permalink

I don't remember where I heard this, but I hear the lights are quite bright in the player's faces, so visual clues from the audience would be tough. Given that it is a fast-paced game and isn't a multiple choice, I don't think coughing or attempts at Morse code would be effective. Not that I endorse cheating, of course, and I'm sure Barb would be equally in favor of a fair game.

Bob Dancer has been on Jeopardy and I have an appearance coming up on GWAE, mind if I ask him for some tips for you on the show?

I did not know he was on. When, and what happened. Maybe ask him to talk about that.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
May 11th, 2019 at 2:54:16 AM permalink

Not at all! Would love to hear from teddys about his games, and soda water on his auditions and what happened too.
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 11th, 2019 at 7:19:21 AM permalink
Here's my one Jeopardy strategy tip, which I almost always observe is NOT done:

It's an advantage to find the Daily Doubles yourself. It is. There are only three of them, one in the Jeopardy Round and two in the Double Jeopardy Round. Even if you find them and don't wager a lot of money yourself, at least you prevent both of your two opponents from finding them and giving them a chance to possibly double there current money total.

(In MANY of Holzhauer's games, the game would have been much closer if his opponent's had managed to find all three Daily Doubles.)

Thus, if and when you DO find that first Daily Double in the Double Jeopardy Round, DO NOT SELECT THAT SAME CATEGORY AGAIN UNTIL AFTER THE SECOND DAILY DOUBLE HAS BEEN FOUND!

Even if you answer incorrectly, it will still be your selection to make. And it's a Jeopardy "rule" that the two Daily Doubles are NEVER within the same category in Double Jeopardy. Never. Thus, you KNOW the other Daily Double which has not yet been revealed cannot possibly be in that same category.

If you select another answer in that same category, your chances that this answer will be that second Daily Double are exactly zero percent... and you MIGHT never gain control of the board again! You MIGHT have just ONE chance to find it, and you just wasted that one chance on a category where that second DD cannot possibly be.

While watching this silly Teacher's Tournament last night (I say "silly" because why choose that profession? Why not also have a Plumber's Tournament, or a Fireman's Tournament or a Computer Programmer's Tournament, or a Doctor's Tournament or any of 1,000 other professions?), I again saw this tip ignored. The player who found that first Daily Double in the Double Jeopardy Round answered correctly... and then sure enough... selected yet another choice in that SAME category. Arggh!!

Now, IF you are WAY behind in the game and IF you plan on betting very big if and when you do find that second hidden DD, then a case can be made that your best chance of winning the game is that you hope to build your bankroll first, before finding that second Daily Double. Okay, that's fine... you need more money before you find it, so select something first where you know it can't be. But that's NEVER the case when I watch the player's on television.
FCBLComish
FCBLComish
May 11th, 2019 at 2:43:07 PM permalink

My question was how to keep the audience from revealing results, like when James Holtzaur gets beaten.
Beware, I work for the dark side.... We have cookies
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
AussiePokerGrinderEdCollinsGialmereAyecarumbarsactuaryodiousgambitmipletMaxPenBozJoemanRigondeauxHullabaloogordonm888SkittleCar1ams288michael99000FCBLComishSOOPOOHunterhillgamerfreakJohnzimboCrystalMath
June 24th, 2019 at 2:52:46 PM permalink
I just got the call. I'm on the show the first taping week of the new season.

Yikes!!
EdCollins
EdCollins
Thanked by
odiousgambit
June 24th, 2019 at 4:25:18 PM permalink
YAY!!!!

CONGRATS!!

When are the dates for that first week of taping, and more importantly, when are those episodes scheduled to air? (My apologies if it was mentioned already.)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
ams288
June 24th, 2019 at 4:49:53 PM permalink
My taping date is July 23, and it will air the week of Sept 16-20.

Thanks for the congrats!! I'm very excited.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2019 at 4:54:06 PM permalink
Congratulations BBB! We are all very happy for you, and know that you will do great!

Time to get a practice clicker and start working on your reaction time.
RS
RS
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2019 at 4:58:12 PM permalink

What's the date of the taping? When will they be aired on TV? ;-)
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2019 at 5:07:18 PM permalink
Very excited for you!!!!! Congratulations!
itsmejeff
itsmejeff
June 24th, 2019 at 5:09:53 PM permalink
Quote: FCBLComish

My question was how to keep the audience from revealing results, like when James Holtzaur gets beaten.

When you go to the "Jeopardy" taping, they ask you not to reveal anything from the shows you see. That is it. If you want to be a dick and spoil everyone's fun, you can. Maybe you can get some retweets out of it. Contestants cannot spoil because NDA.

Re: spoiling: Most games are not big enough to "spoil." What was the last big "Jeopardy" story? Cindy Stowell? Austin Rogers (who was pure "viral" video)? Arthur Chu? Not even dying could put Stowell up to JH level. "Jeopardy" is pretty niche unless something really crazy happens.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2019 at 5:09:54 PM permalink

That is incredible news. Hopefully everything goes well. Being a contest on Jeopardy is bucket list material for me. I am so glad you get to live it!
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
odiousgambitbeachbumbabsPokerGrinder
June 24th, 2019 at 5:17:45 PM permalink
THAT IS SO AMAZING. I can't express how excited I am for you. Watching this journey unfold over the last few years is amazing. I can not wait to hear all the details.
ETA: Yay you don't have to go against James.

ETA2: What was the call like, did you answer the phone or was it on voicemail?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
June 24th, 2019 at 5:56:17 PM permalink
Good Job BBB!!! I guess it worked, telling them you know me and all.

When they ask you to tell them a little about yourself are you going to tell them you are a moderator on WOV?

I think its will make for a good betting opportunity. Over under on how many questions you will get correctly etc.

I'll put the over/under at 1/2 get Soopoo and Mike and some other to bet the over for a few hundred thousand, you take a dive and we split the money?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2019 at 6:05:03 PM permalink
Incredible! Beyond incredible and well deserved!

Can’t wait to root for you.

Only challenge will be making us all wait for the results.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
Thanked by
BozMaxPen
June 24th, 2019 at 6:05:29 PM permalink
I think BBB's date with Alex deserves it's own thread. It's going to be epic!
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
June 24th, 2019 at 6:15:12 PM permalink
As of this moment, it appears that tickets to see the tapings on July 23 are available on the Jeopardy! website. There are multiple times available, so it appears they are going to pull a double weeks worth of shows that day...

Hehe... I think it's an anti-BBB strategy. They are trying keep her from bankrupting the company by wearing out her clicker hand.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
Boz
June 24th, 2019 at 6:25:05 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

THAT IS SO AMAZING. I can't express how excited I am for you. Watching this journey unfold over the last few years is amazing. I can not wait to hear all the details.
ETA: Yay you don't have to go against James.

ETA2: What was the call like, did you answer the phone or was it on voicemail?

I'm feeling very grateful to Emma right now, I can tell you. Dodged the Holtzhauer bullet by maybe 3 weeks. Whew.

The caller ID came in on mom's phone, not my cell. I'd given it as backup because I'm caretaking her, and she has a steel roof that messes with cell reception. It said Sony, and since she gets about 10 robocalls a day, I thought it was a sales pitch. Good thing I just answered neutrally, because I didn't put it together at first but was ready to hang up. (Right, Face? Ya never know who's on the other end...lol)

He said his name, and he was from Sony, calling about Jeopardy. I said oh, wow, is this THE CALL? He laughed and said yes, it sure is.

He was very pleasant and made it a conversation while we ran through my application paperwork, talking about how he'd gone to school in Miami, how he'd worked on the first season of SNL in NY before going out to LA, why his mom named him what she did, along with some side discussions of my details. In the middle of that, mom walked in and said loudly, who IS that, and I hollered, " I'm gonna be on Jeopardy! ". He thought that was really funny for some reason - maybe just likes excited contestants.

He said this is the first day of calls for the new season, and I already had won a minimum of $1000, but I would need to pay my own way to appear. I found that really complimentary, btw, but it could also just be my tryout date was the earliest of this round AFAICT, so they got to our audition group first.

Also advised that CA state taxes would be deducted...lol - reference the state tax on winnings thread -...and when to expect a check. Gave me a hotel at their rate, for which they run a shuttle to the studio early in the morning, just for the contestants. Gave dates and times, dress code, and to bring 2 changes of clothing, and a general idea of how the taping day runs.

Told me what documents I would need to bring, and that they were sending me release forms and info packets, some of which needed to be returned, how to get my guests registered for that day's audience, and provided contact info for himself and the show if I had any questions. End of notes.

Very nice guy who really likes his job. Said he wouldn't get to meet me because he'd be in the control booth, but enjoyed the conversation, and wished me well.
EdCollins
EdCollins
June 24th, 2019 at 6:25:56 PM permalink

As of this moment, it appears that tickets to see the tapings on July 23 are available on the Jeopardy! website...

Thanks.

I'm in. I now have two tickets for the July 23rd 11:00 am taping.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2019 at 6:33:39 PM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

As of this moment, it appears that tickets to see the tapings on July 23 are available on the Jeopardy! website...

Thanks.

Great! I don't know which show I'm doing - there will be 5 that day, but I will be on. One of their fair standards and practices duties is that they randomize who gets what slot that day (except the returning champion, of course). They tape 3 with a short break between each, take lunch, tape 2 more, and finish around 4:30. So it could be any of those.

Edit: just looked at Aye's link, and you may need to request afternoon tickets as well to be sure you see the one I get.
RS
RS
Thanked by
MaxPen
June 24th, 2019 at 6:55:23 PM permalink

Quote: EdCollins

Thanks.

Great! I don't know which show I'm doing - there will be 5 that day, but I will be on. One of their fair standards and practices duties is that they randomize who gets what slot that day (except the returning champion, of course). They tape 3 with a short break between each, take lunch, tape 2 more, and finish around 4:30. So it could be any of those.

Edit: just looked at Aye's link, and you may need to request afternoon tickets as well to be sure you see the one I get.

Do you know how they pick which contestants to show up on which dates? I imagine they pick their list of contestants (say 100) for the season. Then what do they do from there? Do they pick the best contestants to go first? Worst first? Randomize it completely? Or something else (maybe they mix in some good with bad contestants per taping day)?

If anyone wants to make bets on the results of the show, you can make your bets directly through me. If you’re interested, I’ll be posting lines on July 24’th.
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 29
Thanked by
Bozbeachbumbabs
June 24th, 2019 at 7:22:01 PM permalink
Well isn't that funny? All of a sudden, I have a client meeting in LA on the 24th. So I can fly in a day early and catch the tapings! I've reserved a ticket for both the morning and afternoon sessions.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
beachbumbabsRS
June 24th, 2019 at 7:34:14 PM permalink
That's awesome BBB. Especially being able to dodge the beast.

How are you going to practice? I think the buzzer is probably the most important thing. You can only cram so many more facts into your head. But you're a n00b at buzzer clicking.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
June 24th, 2019 at 8:31:22 PM permalink
Congrats, and like everyone here I'll be rootin' for ya!

See if you can change your profession to "Las Vegas Sports Bettor".

It's kind of true, and would scare your opponents to death :)
  • Jump to: