Thread Rating:

BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 13
August 26th, 2017 at 2:54:41 AM permalink
I covered the last outage due to a DDoS attack in my Site was unreachable a while 8/24/2017 post.

I again could not connect to either WizardOfVegas.com or WizardOfOdds.com sites at 2:10 AM PT August 26. Another DDoS attack was identified in a 2:11 AM PT posting on the hosting services status page. At 2:24 AM PT I was able to get a partial page rendering from WizardOfVegas.com. A notice of partial servces restored was posted at 2:36 AM PT.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
August 26th, 2017 at 2:57:28 AM permalink
A notice of stable connections and continued monitoring was posted at 2:51 AM PT. Tip of the hat to the hosting service for declawing the attack quickly.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 32
August 26th, 2017 at 5:17:34 AM permalink
Ya'll need to use a CDN
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 275
August 26th, 2017 at 5:19:25 AM permalink
looks like we might be in for it for a while
"Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed." .......... Mark Twain
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
August 26th, 2017 at 7:40:33 AM permalink
Just got done with another wave of the attacks. Previous ones disabled name servers so the sites couldn't be located. This one flooded the open connections to the sites. Just a note: the WizardOfVegas.com and WizardOfOdds.com site services are collateral damage, the attacks are aimed at the hosting provider's systems in general.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 275
August 27th, 2017 at 5:29:28 AM permalink
Quote: BleedingChipsSlowly

Just got done with another wave of the attacks. Previous ones disabled name servers so the sites couldn't be located. This one flooded the open connections to the sites. Just a note: the WizardOfVegas.com and WizardOfOdds.com site services are collateral damage, the attacks are aimed at the hosting provider's systems in general.

Dreamhost IIRC

Quote: article

those trying to take the foul neo-Nazi site down ... are out of luck because DreamHost no longer hosts the Punished Stormer site. Instead it's now hosted by Canadian outfit BuyVM with some DDoS protection. ®

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/24/dreamhost_massive_ddos/
"Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed." .......... Mark Twain
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 8
August 27th, 2017 at 8:13:57 AM permalink
Is this why the site is so slow lately?
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
August 27th, 2017 at 8:59:17 AM permalink
I'm on the outside looking in, but I don't see any indication that DDoS is causing the slowness that I, too, am seeing. The hosting service was quick to spot and mitigate the DDoS attacks, and they had accurate and up-to-date postings about the status of the problems. No problems are currently reported for any of their hosted services.

Ping packets are returned in an average 18ms time to the www.WizardOfVegas.com service with nothing dropped. That's a very good response time and indicates all is well with the networking traffic flow part of the service.

The site switched to encrypted HTTPS protocol within the last 48 hours. That may be a factor in some slow service as cached data is updated, but it should be a one-time update. I am seeing continued slowness, both with mobile and desktop clients.

Google rates the average load time for the site at 20 seconds, which is poor in their estimation and will lead to 35% of clients abandoning the connection.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 63
August 27th, 2017 at 10:11:34 AM permalink
Is it a coincidence that someone, I think it was a new member, was complaining that this sure wasn't secure or something like that? I wonder if there's some sort of connection to that person and these problems lately.
"And that's the bottom lineeeee, cuz Stone Cold said so!"
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
August 28th, 2017 at 6:36:57 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Is it a coincidence that someone, I think it was a new member, was complaining that this sure wasn't secure or something like that? I wonder if there's some sort of connection to that person and these problems lately.

Possibly you are thinking of a thread pointing out that Firefox 52 logins complained about the site not using HTTPS protocol. Since the site now uses HTTPS (since Friday) I updated that thread to give it closure.

I don't think there's any chance a member of this site is connected with the DDoS attacks aimed at DreamHost. The perpetrators of the attack have a political ax to grind about issues that don't relate to this particular site.

• Jump to: