Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 2nd, 2023 at 2:51:11 PM permalink
My wife just spent 3 weeks on a farm in Montana that had 9 cats running around. I think I might be getting kittens soon.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 2nd, 2023 at 4:29:54 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

My wife just spent 3 weeks on a farm in Montana that had 9 cats running around. I think I might be getting kittens soon.
link to original post

If as you claim your dogs eat wild outdoor animals those kittens won't last two weeks they probably won't last two days before the dogs kill them. They can't tell the difference between prey and pets. It's all food to them. Your best bet would be to adopt a fully grown cat but even then chances are good the dogs would kill it. Kittens won't have a chance. But what do I know, I've only kept multiple cats for over 40 years. I had two dogs during that time but they both came into the house as little puppies and they had to be trained to leave the cats alone. So everything turned out fine, training a full grown dog who's used to killing, almost impossible.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
unJon
November 3rd, 2023 at 4:17:54 PM permalink

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 3rd, 2023 at 8:18:29 PM permalink

The other one I object to living with.
She is currently snuggling me after she had a disagreement with the 5 year old over whose legs got to be where.
Much friendlier than The Chonk (except when she isn't), and only about half the size.
Lousy mouser. Convinced freshly bathed humans are delicious, and need to be extensively tasted (unless movement would be required to bring tongue to bear).
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2023 at 8:30:36 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

She is currently snuggling me after she had a disagreement with the 5 year old over whose legs got to be where.
Much friendlier than The Chonk (except when she isn't), and only about half the size.
Lousy mouser. Convinced freshly bathed humans are delicious, and need to be extensively tasted (unless movement would be required to bring tongue to bear).
link to original post

Why would you object, sounds like a nice cat with a lot of personality. The cats to object living with are mean cats, ones that fight all the time and ones that won't let you pick them up or pet them.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 3rd, 2023 at 9:25:11 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

Why would you object, sounds like a nice cat with a lot of personality. The cats to object living with are mean cats, ones that fight all the time and ones that won't let you pick them up or pet them.
link to original post

The members of the household that want the cats are generally irresponsible, which means the rest of us end up walking and picking up after them. I've spent the last two months shampooing cat (?) pee out of the carpet (on and off), since the others couldn't be bothered. There have been auxiliary adventures, like chasing down whatever just got peed on when I hear that telltale scratch-scratch sound coming from someplace it shouldn't be. (Tiles by the door is a good answer, dangit.)
I am usually travelling too much to be a responsible pet-person.
I must contain my joy to the small victories won, namely no stinky, noisy birds, and the fact that I just removed The Chonk from my nightstand before he shoved everything onto the floor.

I have enough other sources of aggravation in my life; I don't specifically benefit from these two (despite them being warm and fuzzy).
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2023 at 9:40:09 PM permalink

I have enough other sources of aggravation in my life; I don't specifically benefit from these two (despite them being warm and fuzzy).
link to original post

They sound like normal cats to me, and you do not sound like a cat person. At all. Everything you describe is what it's like living with cats, they do what they want, they're impossible to train except for the litter box you can train them to do that. But they're always going to get into stuff, they're always going to knock stuff off shelves, they're always going to get in your way, because they're constantly curious about everything. The parts of the house that my cats are allowed into, which is most of it, has nothing in it that I care about that they can destroy. Because they would destroy it. Basically I live in a cat house, and they let me live there. But there are constant source of entertainment for me and I love them dearly. They make me laugh dozens of times a day, and anytime I want to dopamine hit I just grab one and hug them and kiss them and makes me feel good. Totally different than having a dog. Cats have a calming effect on people, having cats around. They say it's so effective that even watching a video of cats can have the same effect on you. It's no accident that entire countries like Japan love cats. Istanbul Turkey is known as the Cat City because they've had hundreds of thousands of cats roaming their streets for thousands of years. People love them, people feed them, even the feral cats there are friendly. There's a reason for this, it's because cats make us feel good.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 3rd, 2023 at 11:02:11 PM permalink
I get that. Yes, nice kitties are nice.
I'm just not at a point in my life where I want to devote my time and energy to housing and amusing cats (or dogs, or fish, or pet spiders, or axolotls, or ... hopefully you get the idea).

It really sucks to find that The Chonk has peed all over my luggage in the early morning before I need to leave out for travel. I may have to go back to packing everything in plastic zippy bags (yes, really), although I do usually skip
the index cards

I should clarify - I don't really object to the cats; I object to the inconveniences that being a responsible pet-person would impose on me at this time.

Every cat person I know has moments where they don't want a cat climbing on them and interrupting their reading, crossword, crochet, or what have you.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 3rd, 2023 at 11:31:11 PM permalink

Every cat person I know has moments where they don't want a cat climbing on them and interrupting their reading, crossword, crochet, or what have you.
link to original post

Oh I have times everyday where I'm inconvenienced by one of these idiots but it's a small thing. Never once in 40 years of keeping cats have I ever for one second thought I have to get rid of these guys. What you have to do is be smarter than they are. If they're peeing on your luggage put the luggage someplace where they can't do that. You have to constantly be thinking like a cat thinks and you have to outsmart them. Because it's worth it, I don't think you see that, but it's worth it. After a while outsmarting them becomes fun, it becomes part of the deal. Because in many ways it's you against them, that's a lot of the appeal. Cats are never subservient like dogs are, you have to find a way to live with them where you are both happy. Charles de Gaulle once said I've been around people and I've been around dogs, I prefer dogs. I say the same thing about cats. If you have a couple of cats you cannot be lonely it's not possible.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 4th, 2023 at 2:13:24 AM permalink
I am often alone, but seldom lonely.
When my time is free, I tend to feel content, not bored.
If I got lonely or bored, then perhaps.

As is, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze - for me.
The 5 year old likes waking up to kitty snuggles, but she's lousy at cat chores. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 4th, 2023 at 11:24:49 AM permalink
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 4th, 2023 at 11:29:12 AM permalink

I am often alone, but seldom lonely.
When my time is free, I tend to feel content, not bored.
If I got lonely or bored, then perhaps.

As is, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze - for me.
The 5 year old likes waking up to kitty snuggles, but she's lousy at cat chores. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
link to original post

I'm never bored, I always have too much to do. And I wouldn't know if I'm ever lonely because I have so many cats and they would never let that happen. I used to have cats in my bedroom but not anymore too much of a hassle. I always look forward to getting up and going out into the house because I'm going to see the idiots and they are always glad to see me. Not all of them but enough of them. That's the thing about having so many cats, you can always depend on a couple of them being cooperative to what you want to do. At least a couple of them are always going to be entertaining all the time.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
unJon
November 5th, 2023 at 10:33:48 AM permalink
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 6th, 2023 at 7:10:27 AM permalink
Found my laundry & duffel bags drenched in cat* pee this morning.
The duffel contents were fortunately sealed in plastic bags.
(Why is this filed under "I love cats"? They didn't get taken to the humane society shelter, that's why.)

I think it's cat. The girls are mostly housebroken, and the smell is different.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 6th, 2023 at 7:39:46 AM permalink

(Why is this filed under "I love cats"? They didn't get taken to the humane society shelter, that's why.)

link to original post

And they will continue to outsmart you if you let them. You sound like an intelligent guy, is that a ruse? Apparently your cats are smarter than you are. Take some time and cat proof your house it's not that difficult. Don't leave things out where they can get to it. Buy a plastic container that's on the large size and put things in it that you don't want them to pee on. In my house they like peeing on the bags of cat food because I buy 35 lb bags so I have a 60 gallon Rubbermaid trash can in my kitchen corner that I keep 60 lb of cat food in. They are not allowed in my bedroom. They are not allowed in the bathroom. Etc
DRich
DRich
November 6th, 2023 at 9:11:42 AM permalink

link to original post

My wife's Maid of Honor for our wedding stayed with us the night before we flew to Hawaii for our wedding. Unbeknownst to her one of our cats peed on her bridemaid's dress and she didn't know it until we got to Hawaii for the wedding.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 6th, 2023 at 9:18:47 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

My wife's Maid of Honor for our wedding stayed with us the night before we flew to Hawaii for our wedding. Unbeknownst to her one of our cats peed on her bridemaid's dress and she didn't know it until we got to Hawaii for the wedding.
link to original post

Once again the cat wins and the humans lose. Who's smarter here..
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 6th, 2023 at 11:38:56 AM permalink

link to original post

And they will continue to outsmart you if you let them. You sound like an intelligent guy, is that a ruse? Apparently your cats are smarter than you are. Take some time and cat proof your house it's not that difficult. Don't leave things out where they can get to it. Buy a plastic container that's on the large size and put things in it that you don't want them to pee on. In my house they like peeing on the bags of cat food because I buy 35 lb bags so I have a 60 gallon Rubbermaid trash can in my kitchen corner that I keep 60 lb of cat food in. They are not allowed in my bedroom. They are not allowed in the bathroom. Etc
link to original post

I'm not just fighting the cats.
I'm battling the girls who are fond of the fuzzy little brats, and want the cats in the bedrooms. (They preclude my solution, which is to get rid of the darn cats.)
I'm sure I'll get a chance to unpack the plastic bags and wash the soiled luggage with urine neutralizer. Again.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 6th, 2023 at 1:23:02 PM permalink

I'm battling the girls who are fond of the fuzzy little brats, and want the cats in the bedrooms. (They preclude my solution, which is to get rid of the darn cats.)
I'm sure I'll get a chance to unpack the plastic bags and wash the soiled luggage with urine neutralizer. Again.
link to original post

Meanwhile the cats are laughing at you behind your back and making fun of you.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 6th, 2023 at 3:08:18 PM permalink

link to original post

Meanwhile the cats are laughing at you behind your back and making fun of you.
link to original post

Not all of us are fortunate enough to live alone with the number of cats we wish - some of us are forced to cohabitate with humans who believe they're entitled to opinions on things.

Update: Only 70% of the duffel contents were plastic bagged. Laundering and repackaging.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 6th, 2023 at 7:21:47 PM permalink
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 7th, 2023 at 2:18:27 PM permalink
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 8th, 2023 at 4:34:03 PM permalink
Here's the fat kitten that I got a few months ago he's about half grown and he's just adorable. You can't really tell from the picture how fat is but he makes me laugh just looking at him when he's walking around because from behind he looks just like a bear cub. And he's delightful to pick up because he's so friendly and he's so fat and soft.

This is what he looked ike 6 weeks ago

Last edited by: EvenBob on Nov 8, 2023
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 8th, 2023 at 5:06:06 PM permalink
I have this old trunk and I'm going to be buying a few more you can get them really cheap. The idea is I'm going to make some kind of kitty Hotel out of them by stacking them up and cutting holes in them. These are usually well made out of wood and leather and should hold up for quite a while even for cats. And they'll be really sturdy. This is my first trunk more will come.

EvenBob
EvenBob
November 9th, 2023 at 4:23:59 PM permalink
DRich
DRich
November 9th, 2023 at 5:52:51 PM permalink

link to original post

That is a cute cat
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 10th, 2023 at 6:42:06 PM permalink
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 11th, 2023 at 4:59:46 PM permalink
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
DogHand
November 11th, 2023 at 5:32:09 PM permalink
The cats are singing..."Fleas release me, let me go...."
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 11th, 2023 at 7:34:39 PM permalink
These are the kittens I got this summer they're about half grown. Remember guy gave me one that he gave me the other one to keep for a while and he never came and got him. The one on the right is the first one look at his eyes they're always like that. The cat has Boundless energy he's a devil cat.

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 14th, 2023 at 12:03:55 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I was wondering why there are no shots of litter boxes, but they are about as useful as math.
link to original post

This design allows the loose bits of litter to fall off the "toe-beans" and back into the box when the cat climbs out. The lid is trivial to remove for cleaning.

All of the cat-owners I live with keep promising to toilet-train the cats, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 15th, 2023 at 5:08:27 PM permalink
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 15th, 2023 at 5:31:00 PM permalink
Another cat pic from my friend and professional photographer Theresa Kaufman. This one shows that cats know where to go to be comfortable.

So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 16th, 2023 at 6:38:47 PM permalink
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 16th, 2023 at 6:55:29 PM permalink
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/rVIO7zhCv-M
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 17th, 2023 at 4:04:35 PM permalink
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 18th, 2023 at 10:48:53 PM permalink
rawtuff
rawtuff
  • Threads: 2
November 19th, 2023 at 1:38:29 AM permalink

I'm just not at a point in my life where I want to devote my time and energy to housing and amusing cats (or dogs, or fish, or pet spiders, or axolotls, or ... hopefully you get the idea).

It really sucks to find that The Chonk has peed all over my luggage in the early morning before I need to leave out for travel. I may have to go back to packing everything in plastic zippy bags (yes, really), although I do usually skip
the index cards

I should clarify - I don't really object to the cats; I object to the inconveniences that being a responsible pet-person would impose on me at this time.

link to original post

Peeing on things other than the cat litter is a no no. If this happens more than once the cat must go no matter how much one cares for it. When a cat starts peeing on things it's all but impossible to correct that behavior anymore.
Tits are good, but the most important thing is the soul.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
rawtuff
November 19th, 2023 at 2:17:53 AM permalink
Quote: rawtuff

the index cards

link to original post

Peeing on things other than the cat litter is a no no. If this happens more than once the cat must go no matter how much one cares for it. When a cat starts peeing on things it's all but impossible to correct that behavior anymore.
link to original post

(sigh) I didn't want them in the first place.
I get outvoted (outvetoed?) on these matters.
The household is currently babysitting dogs (labradors?) for the weekend. The dogs terrify the cats (and annoy me more than the cats do), so I'm on a basement couch (with the cats) while the dogs are in my bed.

Found my duffel bags soaked again a few days ago, although the bagged contents were fine. I have a feeling that the cats want the door left open so they can roam freely all night, where I want the door closed, to mute noise and block light.
Hopefully I get a clean bill of health soon and can flee this madhouse.
DRich
DRich
November 19th, 2023 at 4:59:51 AM permalink

link to original post

Very cute!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 19th, 2023 at 7:58:18 AM permalink

Quote: rawtuff

the index cards

link to original post

link to original post

(sigh) I didn't want them in the first place.
I get outvoted (outvetoed?) on these matters.
The household is currently babysitting dogs (labradors?) for the weekend. The dogs terrify the cats (and annoy me more than the cats do), so I'm on a basement couch (with the cats) while the dogs are in my bed.

Found my duffel bags soaked again a few days ago, although the bagged contents were fine. I have a feeling that the cats want the door left open so they can roam freely all night, where I want the door closed, to mute noise and block light.
Hopefully I get a clean bill of health soon and can flee this madhouse.
link to original post

A motion detector strategically set up, with whatever objects you need to narrow the scan area down can detect an animal moving into the same place, You don't want any area scanned except the problem area. $10-$20. Most portable can offer chimes and loud siren alarm for simple entry or intruder detection.

Can also help with keeping animals off kitchen counter or certain furniture. You can increase the effectiveness by putting a small mirror right behind it, so as the animal gets in the beam, it sees something moving (itself)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 19th, 2023 at 9:56:06 AM permalink
I had a Maine Coon cat who was unhappy at me for some reason -his food, or something like that. He pooped into my right slipper, a big wet sloppy pile. The next morning I rolled out of bed and put my feet into my slippers as I stood up. Not the way I want to wake up in the morning.

My wife and I used to be "cat people" -we had 3 cats - until we got a dog at the request of our younger daughter. The dog was a Havanese: small, intelligent, doesn't shed, great with people and other pets and desires to be around people almost all the time. Eventually, our cats got old and died and we now have 3 dogs. No profound moral here, but some of us who love cats have discovered that dogs (who are indeed more work) are even more rewarding.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 19th, 2023 at 10:25:26 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

No profound moral here, but some of us who love cats have discovered that dogs (who are indeed more work) are even more rewarding.
link to original post

Included with my cats I've also had a dog for 27 of the last 30 years. My last dog was a Bichon who was lovable and affectionate and lived to be 17. He was adorable and I loved him to death but he was also a giant pain in the ass because he always wanted something. Dogs always want something and cats seldom do. When I leave the house none of the cats are even aware I'm leaving, the dog always 100% of the time had to go with me. The dogs have to be let outside so they can go to the bathroom, cats never do. I'm not saying I love cats more than dogs, but cats are a seldom a pain in the ass and dogs almost always are. Sometimes you don't even realize it until the dog goes away eventually and it feels like you've been let out of prison. I'll never have another one, it's just not worth it to me. It's like having a two-year-old child that never grows up.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 19th, 2023 at 2:14:05 PM permalink

link to original post

Update:
The dogs have gone back to sister-in-law's.
The cats are beginning to venture back upstairs. (They don't like the vacuum cleaner. Ran it around upstairs, to collect the hair(s) of the dog(s), and then downstairs to startle the cats into heading upstairs.)

The "crazy quotient" is returning to a more usual level. I'm trying to keep my luggage simultaneously accessible and defended.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 19th, 2023 at 3:12:54 PM permalink
Piles of cats when it's cold outside..

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 20th, 2023 at 5:14:57 AM permalink

Still not authorized to take the cats to the lake for "swimming lessons" or to the pound for rehoming.
The "nerd alert" bags are working absolutely great.
I started bagging years ago for volumetric compression and mudpuddle resilience, but I'm enjoying the new benefits.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
November 20th, 2023 at 5:59:37 AM permalink

Still not authorized to take the cats to the lake for "swimming lessons" or to the pound for rehoming.
I started bagging years ago for volumetric compression and mudpuddle resilience, but I'm enjoying the new benefits.
link to original post

Would you clarify what we are looking at? I don't know what a "nerd alert" bag is, though I am familiar with the appearance of a pool of urine.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 20th, 2023 at 6:15:09 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

link to original post

Would you clarify what we are looking at? I don't know what a "nerd alert" bag is, though I am familiar with the appearance of a pool of urine.
link to original post

These happen to have vacuum hose attachment points, so I can use atmospheric pressure to compress the packed clothing, as well as protecting it from... contaminants.

The culprit is suspected to be to cute little black one that snuggles me with very pointy feet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 20th, 2023 at 7:40:56 AM permalink

The culprit is suspected to be to cute little black one that snuggles me with very pointy feet.
link to original post

They make an aerosol spray that keeps cats off things because it's offensive to them. You can't smell it but they can. Get some and spray your problem areas and they'll stay away. Problem solved. You don't even need to do it a lot, just once in awhile and the residual spray will keep them away. But then you'll have nothing to complain about..
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 20th, 2023 at 8:25:42 AM permalink

link to original post

They make an aerosol spray that keeps cats off things because it's offensive to them. You can't smell it but they can. Get some and spray your problem areas and they'll stay away. Problem solved. You don't even need to do it a lot, just once in awhile and the residual spray will keep them away. But then you'll have nothing to complain about..
link to original post

I've sprayed feline repellent in that spot at least 4 times over the past 7 weeks.
... and again just now.

Complaining about the little jerks does seem to bring a bit of joy, so here's another round:
She climbs on my belly and does the "making biscuits" move with her bony little paws for several minutes, until she's tenderized me enough to settle in for a nap. At the first sign of me moving, she tends to leap off, nailing me with a claw about 20% of the time.

There are three girls in the house. She does not seem to do the "making biscuits" attack on any of them - perhaps they are adequately squishy. She also tends not to draw blood when leaping off of them.
Maybe it's a sisterhood thing.
  • Jump to: