Thread Rating:

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 29th, 2022 at 10:08:29 PM permalink
Quote: AlanMendelson

Florida has been facing an insurance crisis with ten major carriers leaving the state. Reduced insurance coverage remains with a government plan.

Florida may not be able to rebuild as other areas have after a catastrophe.
link to original post

That's because Florida is such a super swell place to live. I used to know somebody in Florida who had to get all their outdoor chores done before 8 a.m. In the summer because after that you can't work outdoors. That's what I like about Michigan, we have wonderful summers here that run from May into October. I worked outdoors a lot this summer because I'm building a garage and there were so many days when it was absolutely gorgeous I lost count. 78 degrees no humidity no wind, it was perfect. I was so disappointed when I moved to California because sure there is no snow but it gets dark so early in the winter that you're really restricted as what you can do if you have a job. You live for the weekends and in the winter half the time it rains so you're screwed again.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
September 30th, 2022 at 1:23:35 AM permalink

damage as shown - some reports indicate the entire town of Fort Myers beach - population 7,000 - has been destroyed -

Please don't feed the trolls
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 30th, 2022 at 2:12:43 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

damage as shown - some reports indicate the entire town of Fort Myers beach - population 7,000 - has been destroyed -

Well yeah, it's Florida. I think it was 1933 or 1934 a huge hurricane like this hit Florida where Hemingway lived and they spent the next three days getting bodies out of the palm trees. There were dead bodies everywhere the stench was horrendous. So people who think this was the worst hurricane ever destruction wise and death wise don't know what they are talkin about.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
Thanked by
unJon
September 30th, 2022 at 4:32:15 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Well yeah, it's Florida. I think it was 1933 or 1934 a huge hurricane like this hit Florida where Hemingway lived and they spent the next three days getting bodies out of the palm trees. There were dead bodies everywhere the stench was horrendous. So people who think this was the worst hurricane ever destruction wise and death wise don't know what they are talkin about.
link to original post

That was when residents didn't know hurricanes had an eye.

They went outside thinking the hurricane was over. They got caught.

This was before storms were named.

Ian will never be used again because there were deaths.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
September 30th, 2022 at 5:18:59 AM permalink

link to original post

That was when residents didn't know hurricanes had an eye.

They went outside thinking the hurricane was over. They got caught.

This was before storms were named.

Ian will never be used again because there were deaths.
link to original post

As shown by Ian, water surges can differ even when the same place gets hit, it seems from the angle and path of approaching storm. I suppose when high tide occurs figures into that as well.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
September 30th, 2022 at 6:09:23 AM permalink

Florida has been facing an insurance crisis with ten major carriers leaving the state. Reduced insurance coverage remains with a government plan.

Florida may not be able to rebuild as other areas have after a catastrophe.
link to original post

That's because Florida is such a super swell place to live. I used to know somebody in Florida who had to get all their outdoor chores done before 8 a.m. In the summer because after that you can't work outdoors. That's what I like about Michigan, we have wonderful summers here that run from May into October. I worked outdoors a lot this summer because I'm building a garage and there were so many days when it was absolutely gorgeous I lost count. 78 degrees no humidity no wind, it was perfect. I was so disappointed when I moved to California because sure there is no snow but it gets dark so early in the winter that you're really restricted as what you can do if you have a job. You live for the weekends and in the winter half the time it rains so you're screwed again.
link to original post

You wrote this statement as if you believe Michigan is 50 degrees in the winter and stays light until 8 pm. Same but opposite problem Florida has in summer you do in the winter, and it simply gets dark early in the winter period in the US.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 30th, 2022 at 11:47:54 AM permalink
I had booked a condo for end of December all of January basically overlooking the causeway to Sanibel. I called to cancel today and they were super nice and are giving full refunds. Even if the actual condo was undamaged the whole area will be undergoing clean up/reconstruction for months, and wifey thought it would be depressing to be there under those circumstances. I spoke to the super nice agent who told me she lives 1.2 miles from the Gulf and she got a few feet of water surge at her house. That the area right by the Gulf is indescribable.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 111
September 30th, 2022 at 12:04:09 PM permalink
So will Gilligan's Isle reruns replace all news coverage of the damage from this hurricane for the next month? There's no end to the stupid coming up.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 30th, 2022 at 2:37:04 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

So will Gilligan's Isle reruns replace all news coverage of the damage from this hurricane for the next month? There's no end to the stupid coming up.
link to original post

Whenever hurricanes happen in Florida so many people are surprised it's like they didn't know that that happened. I'll keep saying it wanting to live there is a mystery to me. I have probably been there a dozen times and hated every minute of it and I can't figure out why anybody would want to live there. One of my oldest friends company stationed him there and his family for two years he said it was like being in prison, he counted the days till he could get out. Yet people are moving there by the thousands on purpose. I truly would not live there if it was free.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
October 2nd, 2022 at 8:48:46 PM permalink
Any more updates from our Florida members?
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 13
October 2nd, 2022 at 9:05:57 PM permalink
CAT Bonds allow investors to bet on catastrophes, including hurricanes. They are used as a form of reinsurance and savvy institutional investors try to find overlays in the implied probabilities.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 3rd, 2022 at 2:10:29 AM permalink
Drich has not posted since September 29th. Did he get sucked into the Vortex that was the hurricane never to be heard from again? I hate when that happens..
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
October 3rd, 2022 at 4:26:58 AM permalink

Drich has not posted since September 29th. Did he get sucked into the Vortex that was the hurricane never to be heard from again? I hate when that happens..
link to original post

He’s ok. Dealing with house issues. Plus a few other things that Trump posting on WoV.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
October 3rd, 2022 at 5:27:17 AM permalink
Quote: Vegasrider

link to original post

I'm OK. We got some wind and rain in NE Florida, but it never reached even tropical storm levels. We lost power for a few hours, and had a bit of debris to clean up, but no damage at all.

Oddly, I have never experienced a September storm that was this cold! Highs on Thursday were in the mid-60's.

Anyone hear from Babs? I think she's on the east side of the peninsula, but close to the path of the storm.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
rxwine
rxwine
October 3rd, 2022 at 6:07:04 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

Quote: Vegasrider

link to original post

I'm OK. We got some wind and rain in NE Florida, but it never reached even tropical storm levels. We lost power for a few hours, and had a bit of debris to clean up, but no damage at all.

Oddly, I have never experienced a September storm that was this cold! Highs on Thursday were in the mid-60's.

Anyone hear from Babs? I think she's on the east side of the peninsula, but close to the path of the storm.
link to original post

Felt like winter rain nearly, for Florida. I've actually had plenty of days with more rain, but I only got outer bands of Ian. Lots of gusty wind for 2 days.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Joeman
October 3rd, 2022 at 6:31:33 AM permalink

I used to know somebody in Florida who had to get all their outdoor chores done before 8 a.m. In the summer because after that you can't work outdoors.

That is absurd. That would be like saying that you can't go outdoors in Michigan between November and April because of the miserable cold. Ridiculous.

I did not lose my roof and the house is habitable. I have been working outside everyday, all day. Of course it is hot but doable. Hopefully we will get electric and water back this week.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AitchTheLetter
AitchTheLetter
  • Threads: 2
October 3rd, 2022 at 8:00:28 AM permalink
Glad to hear that DR.
How far from where it made landfall are you?
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
DRich
DRich
October 3rd, 2022 at 8:42:54 AM permalink
Quote: AitchTheLetter

Glad to hear that DR.
How far from where it made landfall are you?
link to original post

Probably 3 miles from initial landfall. They eye did come right over our house.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
  • Threads: 5
October 3rd, 2022 at 10:59:24 PM permalink
Don't look now, but what looks like the "Son of Ian" might be forming along the same initial track that Ian took--right past Aruba and dead East. It's the southernmost disturbance on the map below.

(live map from National Weather Service)

Right now, the name is Invest 91L: and you can track it at TropicalTidbits.

Current models out to 120 hours show a nearly straight-west track, but then again, so did Ian's time as an Invest before it became a numbered tropical depression.
Last edited by: BillHasRetired on Oct 4, 2022
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 3rd, 2022 at 11:23:54 PM permalink
The Hurricane "Season" actually runs till the end of NOVEMBER.

The period for peak hurricanes runs till mid October and started in mid August.
rxwine
rxwine
October 4th, 2022 at 7:26:11 AM permalink
I'll stay for a Cat 2 and below, but not anything worse. I've been through a 2. If I was in a vulnerable area, I wouldn't stay for that.

For all practical purposes, Ian was so close to a category 5, almost might as well consider it one. It certainly did a similar job of one.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 4th, 2022 at 7:48:26 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I'll stay for a Cat 2 and below, but not anything worse. I've been through a 2. If I was in a vulnerable area, I wouldn't stay for that.

For all practical purposes, Ian was so close to a category 5, almost might as well consider it one. It certainly did a similar job of one.
link to original post

You're missing a lot here.

Category measures winds. It doesnt measure levels of flooding.

Most modern buildings have no problem even with Cat 3 winds. But if there is flooding it doesnt matter how strong the roof and walls and storm shutters are.
Joeman
Joeman
October 4th, 2022 at 8:04:13 AM permalink

link to original post

Most modern buildings have no problem even with Cat 3 winds. But if there is flooding it doesnt matter how strong the roof and walls and storm shutters are.
link to original post

While other factors (tide cycle, speed of the storm, etc.) may affect it, the flooding caused by a hurricane in mainly due to the storm surge. And, the expected amplitude of the storm surge is indicated by the (Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale) category.
rxwine
rxwine
October 4th, 2022 at 8:05:56 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I'm not in a vulnerable area to floods. I grew up in Fort Myers btw.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 4th, 2022 at 8:16:52 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

While other factors (tide cycle, speed of the storm, etc.) may affect it, the flooding caused by a hurricane in mainly due to the storm surge. And, the expected amplitude of the storm surge is indicated by the (Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale) category.
link to original post

No. Even a Cat1 hurricane can dump a lot of rain and cause flooding.
Vegasrider
Vegasrider
  • Threads: 88
October 4th, 2022 at 8:30:35 AM permalink
Climate change, the new normal.
rxwine
rxwine
October 4th, 2022 at 8:30:59 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

I saw more flooding in Texas, and Las Vegas when I lived in those places. . The issue is trees. Even if I were to cut down all my trees my neighbors have tall enough trees to hit my house. It rains day after day here anyway through the summer. I'm not in a low lying area and am already aware of the high flood areas.
Joeman
Joeman
October 4th, 2022 at 10:06:13 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Which hurricane was that, Alan?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 4th, 2022 at 10:47:55 AM permalink
Joeman, you got me. You'd have to go WAY BACK in history to find a Cat 1 hurricane that dumped heavy rain.

Yes, WAY WAY WAY BACK... to yesterday.

Yes, yesterday.

"Hurricane Orlene made landfall over southwestern Mexico as a Category 1 storm Monday morning.

Forecasters expected the weakened hurricane to dump heavy rainfall"

Google it.

From The New York Times:

Hurricane Orlene, which thundered ashore Monday morning in southwest Mexico with 85-mile-an-hour winds and lashing rain, weakened throughout the day and dissipated late in the evening, the National Hurricane Center said.

By 11 p.m. Eastern time, the maximum sustained winds of the remnants of Orlene had slowed to 25 miles per hour at about 70 miles east-northeast of Mazatlán, generating heavy rainfall in west-central Mexico, forecasters said. The storm was expected to add an inch or two of rain into Tuesday, for totals of 10 inches locally, enough to cause flash flooding or landslides, they said.
Joeman
Joeman
October 4th, 2022 at 11:01:18 AM permalink
OK, places that don't experience rain may flood, even in a Cat 1 storm. However, Florida (where this discussion started) can withstand a lot of rain. Take Ian, for example. Much of the central peninsula and east coast received as much, and in many cases more rain than SW Florida. However, the majority of the flooding occurred in SW Florida. This is because of the storm surge.

10" of rain over a 36 hour period by itself will not cause catastrophic flooding in most parts of Florida. Having experienced multiple Cat 2 storms, flooding is the least of my worries -- not even an afterthought. Falling trees is at the top of my list.

BTW, did Orlene cause any flooding?
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 4th, 2022 at 11:24:08 AM permalink

OK, places that don't experience rain may flood, even in a Cat 1 storm. However, Florida (where this discussion started) can withstand a lot of rain. Take Ian, for example. Much of the central peninsula and east coast received as much, and in many cases more rain than SW Florida. However, the majority of the flooding occurred in SW Florida. This is because of the storm surge.

10" of rain over a 36 hour period by itself will not cause catastrophic flooding in most parts of Florida. Having experienced multiple Cat 2 storms, flooding is the least of my worries -- not even an afterthought. Falling trees is at the top of my list.

link to original post

Nonsense.

I was a reporter at WTVJ in Miami from 1980 to 1987.

The city of Miami Beach would flood in any rain. They literally had to raise the elevation of the streets in South Beach to curtail some of the flooding even in a normal rain... not even a tropical storm and certainly not even a hurricane.

The lower part of the state has a very high water table which is why there are no basements.

I lived in West Kendall. Homes were built on elevated concrete slabs.

And I covered hurricanes all over the SE and the Carribean including Alicia in Galveston.

I was in the Hotel Galvez and we were standing in knee high water during the storm.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 4th, 2022 at 11:27:02 AM permalink
Footnote: Miami Riots of May 17, 1980 – May 20, 1980
WTVJ / Miami - May 18th, 1980 / Miami Riots - Bob Mayer 11 PM Newscast -
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXVA7RahMc
rxwine
rxwine
October 4th, 2022 at 12:48:23 PM permalink
I think Miami still has a bad flooding potential last I heard.

Anyway, should I actually receive a significant flood warning, I will take note at that time as to what to do.

I do have a lifesaving pool noodle if necessary.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
October 4th, 2022 at 12:49:24 PM permalink

link to original post

I do not YouTube, but are there any YouTube snippets of Alan covering any of these events he witnessed and "covered"?

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
October 4th, 2022 at 12:53:35 PM permalink

link to original post

Wasn't Ian a Cat 1 when it blanketed central FL with copious amounts of rain, and wasn't the flooding there pretty epic? The video I saw looked really severe.

tuttigym
tuttigym
tuttigym
October 4th, 2022 at 12:56:05 PM permalink

I think Miami still has a bad flooding potential last I heard.

Anyway, should I actually receive a significant flood warning, I will take note at that time as to what to do.

I do have a lifesaving pool noodle if necessary.
link to original post

Pool noodles are good. What color is it? I hope it is international orange.

tuttigym
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
October 4th, 2022 at 1:14:54 PM permalink
"Mobile Telephones Are In Your Future!" - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTop6yLD6ak
wolfsonarchive - 4.48K subscribers

WTVJ Technology and consumer affairs reporter Alan Mendelson investigates Miami's new "high tech toy" -- the cell phone. Cellular phones had been available in MIami for about six months when this story aired in January 1985; cell phones cost about three thousand dollars, but prices were expected to fall to about a grand before 1985 was out.

About seven thousand Miamians qualified as early adopters, including private detective Jim Beck, whose car phone saved him the trouble of finding pay phones and quarters. "Ever see Tom Selleck have to get change?" Beck asks. Come to think of it...No.

Toward the end of the clip Mendelson demonstrates a new cellular technology -- a phone that fits into a briefcase. It's all very Jetsons.
iPhone 14 has satellite connection technology that will be turned on later for those who subscribe to that service, oh, and Space X maybe.
Many areas of Florida have no cell service due to the hurricane and Space X is helping with satellite phones this week.

iPhone 14's satellite connectivity feature could launch outside the US and Canada this year. Apple's new Emergency SOS via Satellite feature is coming to the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro in November, but only in the United States and Canada at launch. - Sep 15, 2022
Music News from the Age of Cassette Tape - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKAOGEPNh_8
Last edited by: ChumpChange on Oct 4, 2022
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 4th, 2022 at 1:15:25 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

link to original post

I do not YouTube, but are there any YouTube snippets of Alan covering any of these events he witnessed and "covered"?

tuttigym
link to original post

The archives of WTVJ were turned over to the Wolfson Family which started WTVJ in the early 1950s.

The Wolfsons created a public archives which restored film and video for public use. Some are on YouTube.

My series of reports covering the famine in Ethiopia are public. I'll have to search the archives for others.

Here's the search page. Enter "Alan Mendelson" and my Ethiopia and other reports come up. You can watch them online.

https://www.mdc.edu/archives/wolfson-archives/wolfson_archives_search.aspx
Joeman
Joeman
October 4th, 2022 at 1:34:26 PM permalink

link to original post

Wasn't Ian a Cat 1 when it blanketed central FL with copious amounts of rain, and wasn't the flooding there pretty epic? The video I saw looked really severe.

tuttigym
link to original post

Not sure, but you could be correct when the eye passed through central FL it had been downgraded to a Cat 1. However, the rains in central FL were already significant as Ian made landfall as a Cat 4.

Do you have a link to the vid?
tuttigym
tuttigym
October 4th, 2022 at 1:59:30 PM permalink

link to original post

tuttigym
link to original post

Not sure, but you could be correct when the eye passed through central FL it had been downgraded to a Cat 1. However, the rains in central FL were already significant as Ian made landfall as a Cat 4.

Do you have a link to the vid?
link to original post

No, but the Weather Channel, FOX News, and CNN have tons of video. Check them out.

tuttigym
DRich
DRich
October 8th, 2022 at 10:34:55 AM permalink
I survived Ian. Fortunately my house had no flooding but both my mothers and sisters had about 8 inches of water in the house. Their houses are not habitable now. We are hoping to have them back in their houses in six months.

After 10 days with no power it came on about an hour ago. The hardest part was grocery stores were closed for over a week so we couldn't get any fresh food. We did have our hurricane box with pleny of dried and canned goods. All cooked food had to be done on the propane grill.

The hardest part was cell phone service was basically out for a week and when you could get it you couldn't recharge the battery. We had solar chargers for the phone but they really didn't work.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 8th, 2022 at 10:45:58 AM permalink
I'm sure that everyone on the forum is hoping your recovery will be fast and glad you got through it.

I hope that never again will anyone underestimate the damage a hurricane can inflict.
DRich
DRich
October 8th, 2022 at 11:03:18 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I survived Ian. Fortunately my house had no flooding but both my mothers and sisters had about 8 inches of water in the house. Their houses are not habitable now. We are hoping to have them back in their houses in six months.

After 10 days with no power it came on about an hour ago. The hardest part was grocery stores were closed for over a week so we couldn't get any fresh food. We did have our hurricane box with pleny of dried and canned goods. All cooked food had to be done on the propane grill.

The hardest part was cell phone service was basically out for a week and when you could get it you couldn't recharge the battery. We had solar chargers for the phone but they really didn't work.
link to original post

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
October 8th, 2022 at 12:21:19 PM permalink
DRich,

Now that you've survived the worst of it, what (if anything) do you intend to do differently for the next one?
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
October 8th, 2022 at 12:42:08 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

DRich,

Now that you've survived the worst of it, what (if anything) do you intend to do differently for the next one?
link to original post

The only thing that I can think of is that I will probably buy a generator. It would have been nice to run a fan and charge electronics.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 8th, 2022 at 1:04:43 PM permalink
Did you learn anything about flood insurance?
DRich
DRich
October 8th, 2022 at 1:08:04 PM permalink

link to original post

I did not, but I just got my renewal notice for my insurance and my cost went from $3800 to $8200 in one year.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 8th, 2022 at 1:12:48 PM permalink

link to original post

I did not, but I just got my renewal notice for my insurance and my cost went from $3800 to $8200 in one year.
link to original post

Is that homeowners or flood or both?
DRich
DRich
October 8th, 2022 at 1:21:42 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Just Homeowners.
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
October 8th, 2022 at 1:41:57 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Just Homeowners.
link to original post

Yikes.

Did you find out if you were covered for floods?
  • Jump to: