beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
Thanks for this post from:
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:32:54 AM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

I do not believe it is un-American to want to minimize your tax burden by any and all legal measures. Quite the opposite, I think it is very American.

Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Paul Allen (RIP), Mark Cuban, Jeff Bezos, and I disagree with you, to name a few.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:34:39 AM permalink
At least you provided a large sample size.

America is no longer about freedom and individuality. It's about forcing your own moral compass on others.
Last edited by: RogerKint on Oct 17, 2018
100% risk of ruin
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:38:02 AM permalink
So going back to a more generalize political discussion, I'd like to ask you this as you are a bit older than I am. Did the republican party use to be a party that looked to "correct for inequities" in the marketplace? The reason I ask is it seems that at least since Eisenhower the republican party has not been the party that has said it is the government's place to tell the private sector how to run business (perhaps with some exceptions like Air Travel). You seem to favor this, which is why I have always doubted your self imposed republican label. Republicans tend to be at least hands off with businesses in my mind and you don't seem to be. I could be wrong, as I don't frequent the main political thread because of how toxic it get.

Anyways I was just curious on your thoughts on this.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:38:58 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Paul Allen (RIP), Mark Cuban, Jeff Bezos, and I disagree with you, to name a few.

And I disagree with them, I honestly don't value their opinion in such matters.

Yeah, I was saddened about Paul Allen.
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:40:37 AM permalink

The people you list have said that tax rates on the super wealthy are too low or have too many loopholes.

But the companies they created/ran still have an obligation to their shareholders to pay the least amount of taxes possible.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:41:44 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

What you do with your hard-earned money is your business. If you choose to donate 100% of your income to the federal government I'm sure they'd be happy to have it. Instead of being a white slave for 3 months out of the year you could be one for 12 months. Everyone should have the exact same recognition as beachbumbabs or they're just plain greedy.

Yeah, Roger, do be sure to exaggerate and mock me being a responsible American.

Did you pave the road to your house/apartment/mom's basement? Did you install the sewer system? Build the runways and navigation aids for the last airplane you rode in? Design and build the fighters and tanks that defend your country? Feed and house the soldiers who man them? The schools that keep America from becoming a total Idiocracy? A thousand other things you take for granted?

Actually, assuming you paid taxes, you did. Thanks for that. Your fair share? Maybe not. That's private information, but I doubt it, given your attitude.
RogerKint
RogerKint
RSMission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:48:05 AM permalink

Yeah, Roger, do be sure to exaggerate and mock me being a responsible American.

Did you pave the road to your house/apartment/mom's basement? Did you install the sewer system? Build the runways and navigation aids for the last airplane you rode in? Design and build the fighters and tanks that defend your country? Feed and house the soldiers who man them? The schools that keep America from becoming a total Idiocracy? A thousand other things you take for granted?

Is that a joke? The schools in this country are what's making America an idiocracy. Everything the government has done the free market has done better. Once again, use your mod status to belittle and insult others. My position is you can pay whatever you want to whoever you want.

Why do you feel the need to force others to be like you? Again, The left is no different than the religious right. In fact, you're worse. The religious right doesn't force me to give my money to the church. I wish all the left did was guilt-trip me.
100% risk of ruin
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:50:32 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Is that a joke? The schools in this country are what's making America an idiocracy. Everything the government has done the free market has done better. Once again, use your mod status to belittle and insult others.

Yea, private prisons have been a godsend for basic human rights
RogerKint
RogerKint
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:52:17 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Yea, private prisons have been a godsend for basic human rights

And government prisons have been? As I said, theyre better (in this case worse). In Cali there's this new proposition to make it illegal for food producers to keep their animals in cages but yet the gov keeps humans in cages. F*cking ridiculous!
100% risk of ruin
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Mission146
October 17th, 2018 at 9:52:37 AM permalink
Quote: VCUSkyhawk

So going back to a more generalize political discussion, I'd like to ask you this as you are a bit older than I am. Did the republican party use to be a party that looked to "correct for inequities" in the marketplace? The reason I ask is it seems that at least since Eisenhower the republican party has not been the party that has said it is the government's place to tell the private sector how to run business (perhaps with some exceptions like Air Travel). You seem to favor this, which is why I have always doubted your self imposed republican label. Republicans tend to be at least hands off with businesses in my mind and you don't seem to be. I could be wrong, as I don't frequent the main political thread because of how toxic it get.

Anyways I was just curious on your thoughts on this.

Republicans, historically, enacted and enforced reasonable regulations on industry and commerce. That changed dramatically when Reagan came into office in 1980, and was part of the trickle-down theory of economics his administration advocated.

It took some decades to deregulate the airlines, trucking industry, banks, and others, with mostly disastrous results, including three recessions (1987, 2000, 2007) that can be traced directly back to irresponsible deregulation. It continues to be advocated by Republicans in one form or another because of the apparently irresistible call of the money the few can make by doing it.

They don't care that they're destroying the foundation of this country as long as they can live in the penthouse, apparently. They figure they'll be dead before it crumbles or something.

• Jump to: