Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 21st, 2021 at 4:20:57 PM permalink
What is now NYC had well over a million people living in it. in 1860 Most of them were poor and I doubt they ate much red meat.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
September 21st, 2021 at 4:26:23 PM permalink
https://www.seniorliving.org/history/1800-1990-changes-urbanrural-us-population/
Interersting chart of the growth of cities
In 1800 4% of Americans lived in cities. Now it is about 75%
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 21st, 2021 at 5:17:45 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Opposing viewpoint here :

https://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/beginner_fats.htm

• link to original post

What does any of that have to do with the present studies that show saturated fats contribute to dementia and Alzheimer's.
    "It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    Thanked by
    unJon
    September 21st, 2021 at 5:26:43 PM permalink
    Quote: EvenBob

• link to original post

What does any of that have to do with the present studies that show saturated fats contribute to dementia and Alzheimer's.
  • link to original post

I don't remember that.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 21st, 2021 at 9:28:58 PM permalink
    Quote: DRich

• link to original post

• link to original post

I don't remember that.
  • link to original post

Look at my posts from yesterday I posted links to the studies
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 16
    September 21st, 2021 at 9:41:20 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

In the days before refrigeration, how much meat do you think people ate? Were there herds of beef cattle in the major cities? The Passenger Pigeon was once the most populous bird in the United States but it is now extinct because it was a major diet staple of urban Americans

• link to original post

Less.

Steakhouses existed, the meat was likely delivered on the hoof.

Sausages existed as a preservation method. Pemmican, jerky, ham, bacon, salt pork, salt beef were all things.

Commercially canned meat was available by 1900.

Ice has been available commercially for a few centuries, however. Prior to modern mechanical icemaking, workers would cut ice from lakes and rivers, pack it with straw, and store it in caves and ice houses.

The herds of cattle were definitely in Chicago ("Back of the Yards") before mechanical refrigeration made the move to Kansas City practical; probably other places too. Grazed out west, then driven on hoof. Rail transport in cattle cars made meat more available in the cities.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    Dieter
    Administrator
    Dieter
    • Threads: 16
    September 21st, 2021 at 9:46:54 PM permalink
    Also adding that White Castle has been basically making the same sized hamburgers since the time when home refrigerators were just becoming available, so portions were definitely smaller.
    May the cards fall in your favor.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 21st, 2021 at 10:25:22 PM permalink

In the days before refrigeration, how much meat do you think people ate? Were there herds of beef cattle in the major cities?

Before 1900 90% of people lived on farms so they ate meat everyday.
    In the cities butcher shops got their meat from local slaughterhouses.
    Eating canned meat was a life-threatening event until the first decade
    of the 20th century. Meatpacking places were horribly unsanitary and
    you could easily die of botulism from eating canned meat. Upton Sinclair
    wrote a really good book called The Jungle that so frightened members
    of Congress they passed the Food and Drug Act and cleaned up the meat
    industry forever. Not to mention getting rid of things like heroin and cocaine
    at the same time. It's really worthwhile to read The Jungle and realize what
    life was like here just over a hundred twenty-five years ago. People were
    lucky they lived to be 45 years old.

Ace2
    Ace2
    • Threads: 32
    September 21st, 2021 at 11:14:33 PM permalink

Before 1900 90% of people lived on farms so they ate meat everyday.

So 90% dementia rate?
    It’s all about making that GTA
    billryan
    billryan
    Thanked by
    Dieter
    September 21st, 2021 at 11:39:14 PM permalink
    The chart I posted says that 40% of Americans lived in cities in 1900. Not 10%.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    • Threads: 232
    September 22nd, 2021 at 3:51:20 AM permalink
    Quote: DRich

I was very happy to get some fruit in my diet from the dark chocolate banana whiskey.

my experience as a bartender would lead me to speculate that you're not a heavy or a regular drinker

I observed that people who drank flavored whiskeys did not drink a lot

Please don't feed the trolls
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 22nd, 2021 at 5:12:10 PM permalink

So 90% dementia rate?

• link to original post

Dementia and Alzheimer's are old people's diseases. In 1900 the average lifespan in the United States was 45. People did not live long enough generally to get Dementia or heart disease. In the people that did live into their 70s and 80s yes there was dementia. I had a great-aunt that had it in the 1920s my dad says. In those days they called it your second childhood. In 1900 only 4% all the population was over age 65. Today it's 4 times that at 16%. That means in 1900 there were under 3 million people over age 65 in the US and today there are 40 million. In 1900 it wasn't a problem, today it is.

And what makes eating saturated fat even worse is when you eat it with sugar and starch, like in a Big Mac and fries. This is a lethal combination to hit your brain. The same thing happens with a big fatty steak and a baked potato loaded with butter and sour cream and bacon. Worst two things you can eat together. Then follow that with a lava chocolate cake dessert and you hit the brass ring for contributors to Alzheimer's. You don't have to believe me, they suspected this 30 and 40 years ago. But it's only been lately that the long-term studies have confirmed it.

Studies out of China have shown that people who eat fish instead of red meat have a far less chance of developing dementia and Alzheimer's. It's a fact that vegans have 70% less dementia then do meat eaters. The number one country in the world for the least dementia and Alzheimer's is India because they eat a diet high in fish intake and low on red meat. In fact most of India cows are sacred and you can't eat them.
    Last edited by: EvenBob on Sep 22, 2021
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 22nd, 2021 at 5:21:51 PM permalink
    That's right I used the microwave again as a cooking device, what it was designed for I made fish and veggies again, this time with Tilapia. So good and so easy, I love making this. I put the frozen fish in the bottom of a large bowl sprinkled liberally with McCormick Montreal seasoning. Pour the frozen vegetables on top and liberally mix in Montreal seasoning. Put a ceramic dinner plate on top heavy enough to make a seal yet not tight enough to let steam build up. Cook it for 15 minutes on high and dinner is done.

I love McCormick Montreal Seasoning. It's good on everything you use salt on. It makes everything you put it on taste better including fish and vegetables. 0 calories or carbs. Has lots of black and red pepper and garlic in it.

SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    September 22nd, 2021 at 5:37:34 PM permalink

The same thing happens with a big fatty steak and a baked potato loaded with butter and sour cream and bacon. Worst two things you can eat together. Then follow that with a lava chocolate cake dessert

I am requesting EB be suspended for spying on me at dinner last night. Reporting on my lava chocolate cake dessert is intrusive…..
    billryan
    billryan
    September 22nd, 2021 at 5:39:46 PM permalink

So 90% dementia rate?

• link to original post

Dementia and Alzheimer's are old people's diseases. In 1900 the average lifespan in the United States what's 45. People did not live long enough generally to get Dementia or heart disease. In the people that did live into their 70s and 80s yes there was dementia. I had a great-aunt that had it in the 1920s my dad says. In those days they called it your second childhood. In 1900 only 4% all the population was over age 65. Today it's 4 times that at 16%. That means in 1900 there were under 3 million people over age 65 in the US and today there are 14 million. In 1900 it wasn't a problem, today it is.

And what makes eating saturated fat even worse is when you eat it with sugar and starch, like in a Big Mac and fries. This is a lethal combination to hit your brain. The same thing happens with a big fatty steak and a baked potato loaded with butter and sour cream and bacon. Worst two things you can eat together. Then follow that with a lava chocolate cake dessert and you hit the brass ring for contributors to Alzheimer's. You don't have to believe me, they suspected this 30 and 40 years ago. But it's only been lately that the long-term studies have confirmed it.

Studies out of China have shown that people who eat fish instead of red meat have a far less chance of developing dementia and Alzheimer's. It's a fact that vegans have 70% less dementia then do meat eaters. The number one country in the world for the least dementia and Alzheimer's is India because they eat a diet high in fish intake and low on red meat. In fact most of India cows are sacred and you can't eat them.
  • link to original post

Where are you getting your numbers? They are so far off that you can't be using a good source.
    There are not fourteen million Americans over 65. There are over forty million.
    You said 10% of the population lived in cities in 1900 when the US Census says it was 40%.
    You really need to find better sources.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 22nd, 2021 at 6:00:24 PM permalink

[
    Where are you getting your numbers?

• link to original post

Once again I failed to correct errors from the use of dictation instead of typing. I said 40,000 and it heard 14,000.
    My memory is faulty on the rural population figure. It was actually before the Industrial Revolution the most people in the United States lived on farms. By 1900 it was 60% not 90%.
    Ace2
    Ace2
    September 22nd, 2021 at 8:16:00 PM permalink

So 90% dementia rate?

• link to original post

Dementia and Alzheimer's are old people's diseases. In 1900 the average lifespan in the United States was 45. People did not live long enough generally to get Dementia or heart disease. In the people that did live into their 70s and 80s yes there was dementia. I had a great-aunt that had it in the 1920s my dad says. In those days they called it your second childhood. In 1900 only 4% all the population was over age 65. Today it's 4 times that at 16%. That means in 1900 there were under 3 million people over age 65 in the US and today there are 40 million. In 1900 it wasn't a problem, today it is.

• link to original post

You keep mentioning saturated fat COMBINED with sugar and other junk food. Are your sure it’s not just the sugar/crap that’s the problem?

And I refuse to believe that something that comes directly from the earth, like a potato, is bad for you. That makes no sense, just like saying saturated fat is unhealthy makes no sense.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 22nd, 2021 at 9:27:18 PM permalink

That makes no sense,

• link to original post

And luckily for me I'm not here to wise you up. Google is your friend. Luckily for you McDonald's is open 24/7 in some places .Goodbye.
    unJon
    unJon
    • Threads: 14
    September 23rd, 2021 at 4:54:14 AM permalink

You keep mentioning saturated fat COMBINED with sugar and other junk food. Are your sure it’s not just the sugar/crap that’s the problem?

And I refuse to believe that something that comes directly from the earth, like a potato, is bad for you. That makes no sense, just like saying saturated fat is unhealthy makes no sense.

• link to original post

Huh? There’s lots of stuff that comes directly from the earth that’s very bad for you. Evolution is warfare.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
    peter991
    peter991
    • Threads: 0
    September 23rd, 2021 at 5:05:56 AM permalink
    Breakfast: 3 eggs with bacon. Lunch: pizza with salami :)
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    September 23rd, 2021 at 5:14:15 AM permalink
    Quote: peter991

• link to original post

Welcome to the forum Peter.

Last night was Cracker Barrel. Corn muffins to start. Yum. Meat Loaf. Sides were ‘dumplings’, cole slaw, and hash browns casserole. Plus some of wifey’s Mac and cheese. I was so hungry no leftovers. Each thing was tasty. I can’t imagine the unhealthy quotient of the sum! No regrets….
    Ace2
    Ace2
    September 23rd, 2021 at 8:00:56 AM permalink

Luckily for you McDonald's is open 24/7 in some places .]

There you go again with your junk food. You’re the one that likes microwaving hot dogs, leftover fast food and 1 gram bread, not me
    rxwine
    rxwine
    • Threads: 212
    September 23rd, 2021 at 8:19:14 AM permalink
    Quote: SOOPOO

Quote: peter991

• link to original post

Welcome to the forum Peter.

Last night was Cracker Barrel. Corn muffins to start. Yum. Meat Loaf. Sides were ‘dumplings’, cole slaw, and hash browns casserole. Plus some of wifey’s Mac and cheese. I was so hungry no leftovers. Each thing was tasty. I can’t imagine the unhealthy quotient of the sum! No regrets….
  • link to original post

As long as I'm eating healthy more days than not, I can tolerate such meals. But more than a couple days in a row, ugh...I think the grim reaper starts shadowing me.
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 9:33:09 AM permalink
    I just got my lab results back and my Doctor was very pleased. She said I showed significant progress and to keep on doing what I'm doing. She did suggest that I add more chicken to my diet so my four ribeyes a week is going to be three .
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 23rd, 2021 at 9:40:58 AM permalink

This is what I eat everyday for lunch, in fact I look forward to it. This is 8 or 10 superfoods all mixed together. Because it has avocado and Mexican hot sauce it's a Mexican dish so I use fresh lime juice it really makes a huge difference. I either have canned salmon or canned sardines on the side. The amount of nutrition and antioxidants and anti-inflammatories represented here is awesome. 450 calories. I already listed the ingredients in another post a couple weeks ago.

• link to original post

Just added another SuperFood to my first meal of the day, a quarter cup of chopped celery. Celery is a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Celery contains high levels of vitamin K and good amounts of vitamin A, vitamins B-2 and B-6, and vitamin C.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    September 23rd, 2021 at 10:27:57 AM permalink

I just got my lab results back and my Doctor was very pleased. She said I showed significant progress and to keep on doing what I'm doing. She did suggest that I add more chicken to my diet so my four ribeyes a week is going to be three .

• link to original post

Were you here following when "HotBlonde" was doing her weight loss challenge?
    There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 10:39:06 AM permalink
    I don't believe so.
    jjjoooggg
    jjjoooggg
    • Threads: 34
    September 23rd, 2021 at 10:48:01 AM permalink
    Bears eat saturated fat of salmon. And throw away the meat. But their goal is to hibernate during the winter. Saturated fat is the densest form of energy, a solid due to the molecular shape. Saturated hydrocarbons. Eating some saturated fats is supposedly healthy. I found that they tend to clog my artieries and make me sleepy. But i ate a whole package of organic bacon last nite and didnt feel much difference. Im taking potassium magnesium and calcium supplements. Sodium depletes these minerals. Also taking a natural blood thinner. Also take copper supplement to keep my hair black
    Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Sep 23, 2021
    Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 11:16:56 AM permalink
    The Aztecs are said to have had a drink that would sustain their warriors for 24 hours with a single cup. Cortez and his men wrote about it and it was considered to be a myth for many years. During WW2, the US Army commissioned a number of studies to try and replicate it without success.
    Ace2
    Ace2
    September 23rd, 2021 at 11:33:49 AM permalink
    Quote: jjjoooggg

Bears eat saturated fat of salmon. And throw away the meat. But their goal is to hibernate during the winter. Saturated fat is the densest form of energy, a solid due to the molecular shape. Saturated hydrocarbons. Eating some saturated fats is supposedly healthy. I found that they tend to clog my artieries and make me sleepy. But i ate a whole package of organic bacon last nite and didnt feel much difference. Im taking potassium magnesium and calcium supplements. Sodium depletes these minerals. And also a natural blood thinner.

• link to original post

That explains why bears have sky high dementia rates. It’s the (literally) wild-caught salmon
    jjjoooggg
    jjjoooggg
    September 23rd, 2021 at 11:40:51 AM permalink

The Aztecs are said to have had a drink that would sustain their warriors for 24 hours with a single cup. Cortez and his men wrote about it and it was considered to be a myth for many years. During WW2, the US Army commissioned a number of studies to try and replicate it without success.

• link to original post

Aztec indians also use Chia seeds.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    September 23rd, 2021 at 1:13:09 PM permalink

That explains why bears have sky high dementia rates. It’s the (literally) wild-caught salmon

• link to original post

I think they need more carrots. I hear they have poor eyesight, and can "bearly" tell what human they are currently mauling.

( i forget now, whether the carrot/eye thing is more myth than real)
    rxwine
    rxwine
    September 23rd, 2021 at 1:23:26 PM permalink

I don't believe so.

• link to original post

I don't know that you'd be interested, but here's the link

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/7752-hot-blonde-challenge/#post114144
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 23rd, 2021 at 1:25:58 PM permalink
    Quote: rxwine

[

I think they need more carrots. I hear they have poor eyesight, and can "bearly" tell what human they are currently mauling.
    l)

• link to original post

Professional hikers hang their food high off the ground at night or they use bear boxes at the camping sites to keep the smell of food away from the bears. Earlier this year a woman hiker out west was cooking and eating and storing her food in her tent at night. Cooking and eating in your tent is a very big No-No let alone storing your food there. Somebody told her about this so she started hanging her food at night but the smell from her cooking and eating in the tent was so strong the bear killed her, A bear can smell cooking food a great distance away and can even smell lingering odors in your tent days later. In Grizzly territory hikers carry their food in round plastic bear canisters with screw on lids. The cartoon character Yogi the Bear in Jellystone Park is no joke, bears are just like that cartoon character. Except the cartoon character did not eat people and grizzly bears do.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 3:20:11 PM permalink
    I would think a bear would avoid smoke. Why would they associate it with food? I can't imagine cooked food is much of their diet.

Asked by someone who lived almost all his life in the city and has never been in bear territory.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 23rd, 2021 at 4:39:30 PM permalink

I would think a bear would avoid smoke. Why would they associate it with food? I can't imagine cooked food is much of their diet.
    li]link to original post

They don't come around when it's smoky they come around at night. Cooked food and people food is no part of their diet but the flavors are so concentrated that they love it. They would much rather eat a bag of Oreos or a bag of Doritos then anything they find in the wild. It's a huge carbohydrate boost for them and that's what they crave. Bears are omnivores they will eat anything. They prefer human food when they can get it.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    September 23rd, 2021 at 5:18:54 PM permalink
    Maybe bears know there is going to be some freshly cooked meat after every forest fire? That and knowing food smells, campfire smoke and people might sometimes be associated with some garbage from the more thoughtless.
    rxwine
    rxwine
    September 23rd, 2021 at 5:20:54 PM permalink
    Quote:

During spring and summer, bears eat around 5,000 calories a day, but in the fall, they are trying to eat up to 20,000 calories every day

billryan
    billryan
    September 23rd, 2021 at 5:47:55 PM permalink
    Quote: rxwine

• link to original post

For their weight, that isn't crazy. The Mountain from GOT used to eat 10,000 calories a day in his competitive days. Now that he is semi-retired, he's cut it to 4,000-5,000 and has dropped 90 pounds. I assume a grizzly weighs a lot more than he does.
    lilredrooster
    lilredrooster
    • Threads: 232
    September 24th, 2021 at 5:36:19 AM permalink

Whole Foods Hot Bar

their Chefs make a big effort to give the food taste - not like some hot bars where they just try to give you a lot of food
    I like beef and they sometimes have brisket and sometimes its spicy ground beef - they always have one beef dish - always very good

$8.99 per pound - rocks - like totally

Please don't feed the trolls
    jjjoooggg
    jjjoooggg
    September 26th, 2021 at 1:11:37 PM permalink
    delete
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 26th, 2021 at 3:49:21 PM permalink
    Homemade enchiladas. Instead of using tortillas I wrapped the shredded chicken in Deli sliced turkey. Turned out really good.

Ace2
    Ace2
    September 26th, 2021 at 4:41:31 PM permalink
    Dell sliced turkey (deli anything) is usually highly processed junk and very high in added salt.

Not that there’s anything wrong with salt (you need it to survive), but people living on processed food can easily eat three times their recommended daily intake without ever touching a salt shaker

But who cares about eating healthy/quality/real food
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 26th, 2021 at 5:04:19 PM permalink

Dell sliced turkey (deli anything) is usually highly processed junk and very high in added salt.

• link to original post

You can sleep well tonight knowing that the deli turkey I get has two ingredients. Turkey and water. I have them slice it for me right from the roasted turkey breast. No added salt, no added anything.
    gamerfreak
    gamerfreak
    • Threads: 57
    September 27th, 2021 at 5:28:28 AM permalink

• link to original post

You can sleep well tonight knowing that the deli turkey I get has two ingredients. Turkey and water. I have them slice it for me right from the roasted turkey breast. No added salt, no added anything.
  • link to original post

From Walmart delivery?
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 27th, 2021 at 9:28:53 AM permalink
    Quote: gamerfreak

From Walmart delivery?

• link to original post

From a local hole-in-the-wall butcher shop that is exactly two miles from my house. It's in the new strip mall they built last year and is expensive but very cool. There is never anybody in there I don't know how they stay in business.
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 29th, 2021 at 12:29:00 AM permalink
    Turns out eating right is a big part of the new studies of dementia and Alzheimer's. It mostly involves getting rid of butter, red meat, sugar, cheese, fried food from your diet. Getting rid of the saturated fat that can cause plaque to form in your brain. Mixing sugar with the saturated fat is a real game-changer. This pretty much eliminates most fast food and pizza from your life. Eating this lifestyle should be done at any age not just if you're over 50. Here is a sample menu.

Monday
    Breakfast: Greek yogurt with raspberries, topped with sliced almonds.
    Lunch: Mediterranean salad with olive-oil-based dressing, grilled chicken, whole-wheat pita.
    Dinner: Burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajita vegetables, grilled chicken, salsa and guacamole.
    Tuesday
    Breakfast: Wheat toast with almond butter, scrambled eggs.
    Lunch: Grilled chicken sandwich, blackberries, carrots.
    Dinner: Grilled salmon, side salad with olive-oil-based dressing, brown rice.
    Wednesday
    Breakfast: Steel-cut oatmeal with strawberries, hard-boiled eggs.
    Lunch: Mexican-style salad with mixed greens, black beans, red onion, corn, grilled chicken and olive-oil-based dressing.
    Dinner: Chicken and vegetable stir-fry, brown rice.
    Thursday
    Breakfast: Greek yogurt with peanut butter and banana.
    Lunch: Baked trout, collard greens, black-eyed peas.
    Dinner: Whole-wheat spaghetti with turkey meatballs and marinara sauce, side salad with olive-oil-based dressing.
    Friday
    Breakfast: Wheat toast with avocado, omelet with peppers and onions.
    Lunch: Chili made with ground turkey.
    Dinner: Greek-seasoned baked chicken, oven-roasted potatoes, side salad, wheat dinner roll.

Turns out the old adage that you are what you eat is basically true. I eat fish everyday sometimes twice a day and a hard boiled egg everyday and nuts every day and chicken at least twice a week. I eat two kinds of fruit and three or four veggies everyday. So I have been on this diet without even knowing it. Because I'm Keto I obviously don't eat any of the grain products but I do eat low-carb bread.
    Ace2
    Ace2
    September 29th, 2021 at 10:04:51 AM permalink

Turns out eating right is a big part of the new studies of dementia and Alzheimer's. It mostly involves getting rid of butter, red meat, sugar, cheese, fried food from your diet. Getting rid of the saturated fat that can cause plaque to form in your brain. Mixing sugar with the saturated fat is a real game-changer. This pretty much eliminates most fast food and pizza from your life. Eating this lifestyle should be done at any age not just if you're over 50. Here is a sample menu.

Monday
    Breakfast: Greek yogurt with raspberries, topped with sliced almonds.
    Lunch: Mediterranean salad with olive-oil-based dressing, grilled chicken, whole-wheat pita.
    Dinner: Burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajita vegetables, grilled chicken, salsa and guacamole.
    Tuesday
    Breakfast: Wheat toast with almond butter, scrambled eggs.
    Lunch: Grilled chicken sandwich, blackberries, carrots.
    Dinner: Grilled salmon, side salad with olive-oil-based dressing, brown rice.
    Wednesday
    Breakfast: Steel-cut oatmeal with strawberries, hard-boiled eggs.
    Lunch: Mexican-style salad with mixed greens, black beans, red onion, corn, grilled chicken and olive-oil-based dressing.
    Dinner: Chicken and vegetable stir-fry, brown rice.
    Thursday
    Breakfast: Greek yogurt with peanut butter and banana.
    Lunch: Baked trout, collard greens, black-eyed peas.
    Dinner: Whole-wheat spaghetti with turkey meatballs and marinara sauce, side salad with olive-oil-based dressing.
    Friday
    Breakfast: Wheat toast with avocado, omelet with peppers and onions.
    Lunch: Chili made with ground turkey.
    Dinner: Greek-seasoned baked chicken, oven-roasted potatoes, side salad, wheat dinner roll.

Turns out the old adage that you are what you eat is basically true. I eat fish everyday sometimes twice a day and a hard boiled egg everyday and nuts every day and chicken at least twice a week. I eat two kinds of fruit and three or four veggies everyday. So I have been on this diet without even knowing it. Because I'm Keto I obviously don't eat any of the grain products but I do eat low-carb bread.

• link to original post

This should be posted in the thread “What did you eat every day this week for breakfast, lunch and dinner”

Saturated fat combined with sugar, again!? It’s the sugar and junk/fast food that’s the problem, not the saturated fat. An 80/20 grass fed burger (maybe add some grass fed butter to the pan and top with Swiss cheese) can be a very healthy, nutritious meal as long as you avoid the garbage add-ons like fries cooked in artificial oil, big white hamburger bun, special sauce/ketchup loaded with high fructose corn syrup, and a large coke with six times your daily limit of sugar
    EvenBob
    EvenBob
    September 29th, 2021 at 10:54:00 AM permalink

It’s the sugar and junk/fast food that’s the problem, not the saturated fat.r

• link to original post

No, it's the saturated fat. When you combine it with sugar and carbohydrate it just makes it worse. It's the saturated fat that's at the center of it.

"In a study of more than 1,200 people, researchers show that individuals with higher levels of saturated fats in their blood are more likely to develop dementia, including Alzheimer's disease.. Scientists had already begun to link higher dietary saturated fat intake to higher risk of dementia and cognitive decline, but this study is one of the first to use blood tests in such a large number of people in order to understand the link between diet and later brain health.. This new work helps confirm that saturated fats—found in many foods, including butter, cheese, red meat, and coconut oil—are best consumed in moderation when it comes to dementia risk and also overall health. Apr 21, 2021" Koch M, et al, “Case-Cohort Study of Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acid Profiles, Cognitive Function, and Risk of Dementia
    gordonm888
    Administrator
    gordonm888
    • Threads: 60
    September 29th, 2021 at 11:35:19 AM permalink

It’s the sugar and junk/fast food that’s the problem, not the saturated fat.r

• link to original post

No, it's the saturated fat. When you combine it with sugar and carbohydrate it just makes it worse. It's the saturated fat that's at the center of it.

"In a study of more than 1,200 people, researchers show that individuals with higher levels of saturated fats in their blood are more likely to develop dementia, including Alzheimer's disease.. Scientists had already begun to link higher dietary saturated fat intake to higher risk of dementia and cognitive decline, but this study is one of the first to use blood tests in such a large number of people in order to understand the link between diet and later brain health.. This new work helps confirm that saturated fats—found in many foods, including butter, cheese, red meat, and coconut oil—are best consumed in moderation when it comes to dementia risk and also overall health. Apr 21, 2021" Koch M, et al, “Case-Cohort Study of Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acid Profiles, Cognitive Function, and Risk of Dementia
  • link to original post

I wish these report summaries were more quantitative. Is the added risk (on average) of Alzheimer's greater than 2X? Or 20% higher or <5% higher?

If I need to minimize carbs and sugar/glucose (diabetes-2) and unsaturated fats (cancer risk elevator) and saturated fats (Alzheimer's risk elevator) then there's not much left to eat.

Is salmon and other fish/seafood okay? Green vegetables? Fruits? Legumes? Nuts? Chicken? Turkey? Non-green vegetables? What else?
    So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
    • Jump to: