Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 2nd, 2021 at 4:48:34 AM permalink
I eat leftovers for breakfast. Last night wifey had spaghetti with garlic and cracked pepper in oil. Before boxing the leftovers I added the table Romano and hot peppers as well. My mouth is ablaze.

Meeting a friend for sushi lunch. I get two lunch specials. So I start with two soups. One of the specials is 5 pieces, usually a shrimp, tuna, salmon, and two other ‘white’ fishes. Plus a spicy crab roll. The second special is ‘three rolls’. I get eel and avocado, salmon skin, and crunchy spicy tuna. I ask for a side of spicy Mayo to dip everything in. I need a nap pretty soon after lunch.
stonethehustler
stonethehustler
  • Threads: 4
November 3rd, 2021 at 10:47:06 AM permalink
Homemade soup with dumplings. I don’t feel the best so the soup rises me out of the dead xD
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:12:35 PM permalink
Just finished bacon, eggs, and left over German Potatoes and homemade molasses bread from the Otis Cafe in Lincoln City, Oregon.

Buddy and I were at Chinook Winds Mon-Tue and I brought some left overs home for wife and I to enjoy this morning.

The Otis Cafe is a great place to eat breakfast or lunch, all is home made and the portions rock.

They achieved notoriety years ago when it was "discovered" by a NY Times foodie and an article raving about it was published: see:

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/17/garden/at-the-nation-s-table-898189.html

They moved recently as the original spot burned up due to a kitchen fire.
"What, me worry?"
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:17:28 PM permalink
Just finished lunch - a cup of low-calorie yogurt and a can of diet Coke Zero Sugar.

On the other hand, for dinner, I will probably go to Jack In The Box and try the new Bacon Cheddar Loaded Double Cheeseburger (with two slices of cheddar and "cheddar ranch sauce" on a cheddar-bread bun).
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:21:27 PM permalink
Leftover mushroom pizza from Trattoria Aroma. I have them put on extra fresh garlic. It’s a white pizza with multiple types of mushrooms, as well as multiple types of cheeses.

AZ will know what I’m talking about…. Going to Anderson’s tonight for beef on weck. Mine will be smothered in mayo and horseradish.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:31:28 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Leftover mushroom pizza from Trattoria Aroma. I have them put on extra fresh garlic. It’s a white pizza with multiple types of mushrooms, as well as multiple types of cheeses.

AZ will know what I’m talking about…. Going to Anderson’s tonight for beef on weck. Mine will be smothered in mayo and horseradish.
link to original post

I had beef on Weck about two weeks ago and the Weck was way too soft. I like my Weck with a little crunch and lots of salt..
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 9th, 2021 at 7:34:41 AM permalink

CBS report on Vegas buffets
there were 60 before Covid - only 11 have re-opened
wholesaler is providing 35,000 pounds of meat per week

Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 9th, 2021 at 10:30:44 AM permalink
Been trying to avoid carbs, which given my previous diet is not easy. Lots of bunless cheeseburgers, ribeyes, chicken breast and drumsticks.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
November 9th, 2021 at 10:41:02 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Been trying to avoid carbs, which given my previous diet is not easy. Lots of bunless cheeseburgers, ribeyes, chicken breast and drumsticks.
link to original post

Drumsticks? I eat a lot of Drumsticks too.

ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
November 9th, 2021 at 11:24:05 AM permalink

Been there, done that, ate the bread-free sandwich (BagelMania in Vegas notwithstanding) - in fact, am there, and doing that, although now I use Oroweat Keto Bread. I was using low-carb burrito tortillas sliced into quarters as hamburger buns (remember, no ketchup or BBQ sauce either, unless its the low-sugar varieties) before I found a brand of low-carb buns that my supermarket sells.

Speaking of which, yesterday I had a can of soup for lunch, and a one-pound Fatburger (with the bun replaced by one of my own low-carb ones - yes, I took it home before doing that) for dinner. Today, a cup of yogurt for lunch, and a burrito - well, a glorified taco (just beef, cheese, taco sauce, and spinach, in a low-carb tortilla) - for dinner.
billryan
billryan
November 9th, 2021 at 12:30:52 PM permalink
I was surprised to find the Safeway Signature hamburger buns are low carb, but I'm going bunless for now. Got a great deal on fresh bison ground meat
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 10th, 2021 at 6:27:47 AM permalink
_________

yesterday I had Taco Bell's Grand Breakfast Burrito with steak - only $3.50
it's UGE - I actually saved it and had it for my dinner

it's got eggs, potatoes, cheese, tomatoes and steak

their steak is not great - but it's acceptable - better than their beef which is tasty but always gives me an MSG rush headache

oh, yeah, and their mild sauce is very good IMO - better than soy sauce

most fast food joints give a better deal on breakfast because they're much slower then

it crushed the best of what MickeyDees offers for breakfast IMO

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
November 10th, 2021 at 1:32:02 PM permalink
Been doing the Waffle House 2 egg breakfast without meat a couple days a week, trying to only eat 1-1.5 lbs of meat maximum per week, limit added sugar and processed foods. I’ve dropped from my all time high weight of 208 last Christmas to 175 now least since high school 20 years ago I believe.

$4.75 base for the 2 eggs hash browns/grits and toast while adding two slices of bacon would make it 7.75, may as well upgrade to the all star if you’re getting meat. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, sautéed onions to the hashbrowns and a coffee and get out of there for $10 including 25% tip.
DRich
DRich
November 10th, 2021 at 6:37:24 PM permalink
I am probably the biggest Waffle House fan for someone that doesn't live near one. About 20 years ago I looked into opening three Waffle Houses in Vegas. It didn't work out but I am still a huge fan. In two weeks I will be living 5 minutes from one so we will see if I still feel that way. Currently the nearest Waffle House is about 300 miles away. I generally order just a pecan waffle and hash browns but I will eventually try everything including the T-bone steak.
billryan
billryan
November 10th, 2021 at 6:46:13 PM permalink
I've never been in a Waffle House.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
mcallister3200
November 10th, 2021 at 7:30:41 PM permalink

link to original post

That probably adds 10 years to your life expectancy
It’s all about making that GTA
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 13th, 2021 at 2:45:32 AM permalink

scorched rice not typically served in Asian restaurants but is more of a kind of home cooking thing

from the article:

"when browned on the bottom of the pot by a skilled cook, the grain is transformed into a complex delicacy, one prized by food cultures around the world"
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/11/t-magazine/scorched-burnt-rice.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_rice

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
November 13th, 2021 at 4:11:45 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

scorched rice not typically served in Asian restaurants but is more of a kind of home cooking thing

from the article:

"when browned on the bottom of the pot by a skilled cook, the grain is transformed into a complex delicacy, one prized by food cultures around the world"
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/11/t-magazine/scorched-burnt-rice.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_rice

link to original post

Not sure if the Times mentioned paella / socarrat (paywall), but this is definitely good stuff.
May the cards fall in your favor.
billryan
billryan
November 13th, 2021 at 6:30:36 AM permalink
I had a sirloin cap roast I was preparing for dinner. Usually, I've been grilling these in my air fryer for about 8-10 minutes but following a recipe from the net, I decided to sear it for two minutes on each side before putting it in the air fryer. Searing the meat side produced some smoke, but my kitchen exhaust managed it nicely. Flipped over to the fat cap and it was like releasing a smoke bomb.
Smoke detector in the hall went off, and the one in the Arizona room followed maybe a minute later. I had to open almost every window and put on the overhead fans. I cut the searing short by a minute and grilled it as usual. I went back and watched three videos about searing this cut and none produced smoke like this. I used a cast-iron skillet, as indicated yet my results were wildly different.
The roast tasted just like it does when not seared.
DRich
DRich
November 13th, 2021 at 10:37:24 AM permalink

link to original post

The food is typical greasy spoon diner food but the Waffle House is an experience. They remind me of trucks stops with all the same beautiful ambiance. In the south it is fun to play "Teeth or Tattoos". Will your waitress have more teeth or tattoos?.
billryan
billryan
November 13th, 2021 at 11:21:11 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

The food is typical greasy spoon diner food but the Waffle House is an experience. They remind me of trucks stops with all the same beautiful ambiance. In the south it is fun to play "Teeth or Tattoos". Will your waitress have more teeth or tattoos?.
link to original post

Diners on Long Island evolved into places with 12-page menus many years ago. I've only had the greasy spoon diner experience on rare occasions.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 13th, 2021 at 1:31:35 PM permalink
Wife and I had a cheese steak and fries from a place that does it "right," even down to using Amoroso Baking Company's rolls flown in from Philly.

Life is short: eat up.
"What, me worry?"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 14th, 2021 at 4:51:08 AM permalink

I call it meat and potatoes; Ashly called it going out for prime rib.

Her plate was more photogenic than mine, as she got fancier potatoes with her meat.

I thought it needed a slightly more developed crust, but I appreciated that it wasn't overseasoned, like so many of the heavy crusted prime ribs are. Upside is that the au jus was also not oversalted.

The sauteed mushrooms were outstanding, but she wouldn't touch them. Saved for the doggie bag; apparently the leftovers are going into an omelet.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 14th, 2021 at 9:21:02 AM permalink
_________

Dieter:

if you don't mind my asking - I'm assuming from your handle that you've tried different diets

if I'm wrong about this - sorry about that

if I'm correct - I'm curious - which diet(s) have you found to be most effective

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 14th, 2021 at 1:46:09 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Dieter:

if you don't mind my asking - I'm assuming from your handle that you've tried different diets

if I'm wrong about this - sorry about that

if I'm correct - I'm curious - which diet(s) have you found to be most effective
link to original post

Yes, I have eaten - and not eaten - many things.
My dietary habits are largely based on what I want to eat.

If your goal is weight loss, I'd suggest rice and steamed vegetables. Portion control on the rice; you can generally eat as much broccoli and cabbage as you want. Drink more water (almost everyone is inadequately hydrated) and go for a walk (choosing a farther away parking stall is a good first step).

Confusing "Dieter" (a German name) with "dieter" (someone who is careful about what they eat) is easy; I take no offense.

Best of luck!
billryan
billryan
November 14th, 2021 at 2:34:49 PM permalink
In English, dieter means someone who diets. In German, dieter means "warrior of the people" and is a proper first name.
LoquaciousMoFW
LoquaciousMoFW
  • Threads: 1
November 14th, 2021 at 2:51:36 PM permalink

In English, dieter means someone who diets. In German, dieter means "warrior of the people" and is a proper first name.
link to original post

Also Mike Myers' character name in the SNL sketch "Sprockets".
DRich
DRich
November 14th, 2021 at 5:09:45 PM permalink
I over indulged on alcohol last night at a going away party so my stomach was not in good shape for eating. I only had two miniature Reese's Peanut Butter cups today.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 14th, 2021 at 5:16:18 PM permalink

I over indulged on alcohol last night at a going away party so my stomach was not in good shape for eating. I only had two miniature Reese's Peanut Butter cups today.
link to original post

Why miniature?

Went to in laws. Shrimp appetizer with delightfully spicy cocktail sauce. Also had the faux crab pieces. I haven’t seen them served that way before.
Dinner was cold cuts—- Corned beef, ham, ‘regular’ turkey, and smoked turkey. Hot cherry peppers. I ate them with a fork instead of making a sandwich. There were some cut up vegetables which I ignored.
Last edited by: SOOPOO on Nov 14, 2021
DRich
DRich
November 14th, 2021 at 5:27:06 PM permalink

Why miniature?

Because that is what we had. I haven't left the house today and with almost everything packed cooking isn't an option. I plan to eat lunch meat sandwiches the rest of the week and gas station hot dogs while we are on the road. I plan on driving from 6am to 6pm each night if everything goes as planned.
billryan
billryan
November 14th, 2021 at 5:57:58 PM permalink

Why miniature?

Because that is what we had. I haven't left the house today and with almost everything packed cooking isn't an option. I plan to eat lunch meat sandwiches the rest of the week and gas station hot dogs while we are on the road. I plan on driving from 6am to 6pm each night if everything goes as planned.
link to original post

Are you taking 10 or 40?
DRich
DRich
November 14th, 2021 at 6:08:03 PM permalink

Why miniature?

link to original post

Are you taking 10 or 40?
link to original post

I think I am taking 40 to Dallas and then head south
billryan
billryan
November 14th, 2021 at 6:10:22 PM permalink
40 doesn't go anywhere near Dallas. 10 does.
DRich
DRich
November 14th, 2021 at 6:15:53 PM permalink

link to original post

Then I have no idea. I will go wherever Siri tells me is the fastest. First stop Santa Rosa, NM, then Longview TX, then Tallahassee Fl, then Cape Coral FL
billryan
billryan
November 14th, 2021 at 8:33:22 PM permalink
Santa Rosa is the scuba diving capital of the South West. It's off 40.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
November 14th, 2021 at 8:41:40 PM permalink
I had some fajitas tonight - using KETO zero-carb tortillas. Never knew there was such a thing.

I weighed 182 lbs 3 months ago and my doctor's office weighed me in at 173 lbs. last week. Alas, all my burgers have been bun-less for quite awhile.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
November 14th, 2021 at 10:24:20 PM permalink

link to original post

Dallas isn’t particularly close to either. 40 goes through Oklahoma City, 10 goes through Houston
It’s all about making that GTA
billryan
billryan
November 14th, 2021 at 10:36:55 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

link to original post

Dallas isn’t particularly close to either. 40 goes through Oklahoma City, 10 goes through Houston
link to original post

10 goes to 20 which I think takes you into North Dallas/ Arlington.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 15th, 2021 at 6:06:46 AM permalink
I would agree that where 10/20 meet maybe 1.5-2 hours from Dallas where you’d get off 40 around three hours from Dallas I believe? I would be in the neither is particularly close camp based on memory.
DRich
DRich
November 15th, 2021 at 6:17:28 AM permalink
I looked again, it looks like 40 to Amarillo and then Southeast to 10 to Florida.
billryan
billryan
November 15th, 2021 at 6:32:32 AM permalink
I think I'm going to be headed to Ft Lauderdale via Dallas in a few weeks. I've only mapped it from Bisbee to Arlington so far.
billryan
billryan
November 15th, 2021 at 6:37:58 AM permalink
To get back on subject, I had a 310 Toasted Coconut shake for breakfast. Today was just water so 110 calories for the 22 ounces, followed by another 22 ounces of water mixed with a Super Beets formula. Some days I mix the shake 50-50 with 2% milk. Luch will be 1/3rd of a Shrimp ring.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
November 18th, 2021 at 4:32:33 PM permalink
Finally! Went to Makino last night! I try to get there every trip to Vegas but wifey doesn’t eat sushi, or any seafood for that matter. I’m here with the boys for a golf trip. It is a GREAT buffet. I think it was $34, and I ate like a pig. I have very little self control when it comes to buffets. I think I had like 5 days worth of a usual sodium requirement. They keep topping of your diet soda glass so who knows how much I drank? No salmon roe, no eel, but otherwise all the good stuff.

All I had was a small salad today…. In anticipation of Mexican food tonight.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 18th, 2021 at 4:46:00 PM permalink
Veggie power menu bowl at Taco Bell without the sour cream. Black beans, rice, cheese, lettuce, guac, and pico. I guess lettuce and pico are the 'vegetables.' I've been on a sort of a hybrid flexitarian/pescatarian diet, I'll eat regular meat but try to limit it to a pound or so a week so basically one meal maximum per day. No fake meats (fast food "beef" or "beyond" processed type stuff.)

Smoothie with half a banana, berries, spinach, half an avocado, peanut butter for lunch. Good way to get the spinach without ever tasting a hint of it. Smoothies seem to make me burp excessively, however.

For being generally an unhealthy fast food joint, it is truly amazing how many healthy options are on the menu at Taco Bell assuming you completely avoid what they call "beef' and whatever that nacho cheese sauce is, pretty much everything on the menu is customizable although if you're going to do that I'd recommend ordering ahead online to be fair to their employees.
ben771williiams
ben771williiams
  • Threads: 0
November 19th, 2021 at 7:38:06 AM permalink
Oh, I had a really good meal today. My wife and I made pancakes and I was so full of them, but I couldn't stop. My stomach still hurts.
Maxxx17
Maxxx17
  • Threads: 0
November 22nd, 2021 at 7:43:07 AM permalink
I baked the macaroons yesterday. Now I eat them with my tea.
billryan
billryan
November 22nd, 2021 at 7:57:07 AM permalink
Today is Day 1 of my planned weeklong keto experiment. I've been cutting back on carbs for a few weeks but this is my first week of keto. Breakfast was a pre-brought Birthday Cake smoothie and my morning snack will be six nice-sized prawns. So far, so good.
I'm far from sold on the keto thing but my doctor wants me to lose another forty pounds or more asap. Short of wiring my jaws shut, this seems like the best option.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
November 22nd, 2021 at 8:16:15 AM permalink
Surprising the smoothie was keto, severely limiting fruit was the thing I couldn’t get with when I tried it. I lasted two weeks or so.
Marcusclark66
Marcusclark66
  • Threads: 33
November 22nd, 2021 at 9:02:40 AM permalink
Saturday night at the casino and left over Pad Thai on Sunday at the work place.

PHO with meatballs and thin sliced rib eye.
And of course Pad Thai.

Marcus Clark. Real Person; AKA MarcusClark66. *Professional Casino Security Expert. *Certified EMT *Certified Company Firearms Instructor. *Certified Gaming Regulations Interpreter for Corporate Applications. *Domestic UrbanTactical Combat Casualty Expert. *Tic-Tac-Toe Expert (Real Competitive Versions) & Mastering Chess. *Honorary & Official #1 Fan of the MDawg Adventures Club. *Mastering Cracking it. Bit-by-Bit, Piece-by-Piece Crediting Forum Members. *Certified Casino Property Entry & Exit Point Analyzer *Baccarat Winning Session Record: 12 out of 12 & 1 out of 1 Mini Session. Baccarat Losing Session Record: 2 Losing Sessions.
billryan
billryan
November 22nd, 2021 at 9:32:52 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Surprising the smoothie was keto, severely limiting fruit was the thing I couldn’t get with when I tried it. I lasted two weeks or so.
link to original post

Perhaps "smoothie" is the wrong term. It's a keto shake. A plant-based shake, it has 2g net carbs, 15g fat, and 12g protein.
The premade stuff is $5 a shake, but the concentrate is 28 servings for $59 plus the cost of milk. They recommend 2/3rds water and 1/3rd almond milk but I plan on mostly just powder and water.
  • Jump to: