Thread Rating:

Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
March 28th, 2019 at 5:12:42 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

In small quantities. Famine and starvation
was always around the corner, not abundance.

The bane of modern society is sugar and
carb loaded processed food. That's what
has exploded in the last 30 years. Processed
food makes up the entire diet of some
people. I eat no processed food, none.
I even make my own mayonnaise.
Olive oil is processed but it only has one
ingredient, olive oil.
]

I stole that for part of my signature. Don't worry, I have you Credit. :D I loved it so much I did that! :D
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 28th, 2019 at 9:56:18 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

I stole that for part of my signature.

Why. I only added it because somebody
always jumps in with, hey, butter is
processed food, natural peanut butter is
processed, so is olive oil. Foods that
only have one ingredient don't typically
fall under the banner of processed food.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Nathan
Nathan
  • Threads: 66
March 28th, 2019 at 2:02:59 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Why. I only added it because somebody
always jumps in with, hey, butter is
processed food, natural peanut butter is
processed, so is olive oil. Foods that
only have one ingredient don't typically
fall under the banner of processed food.

I stole it because I found it hilarious! :D
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
April 30th, 2019 at 4:10:39 AM permalink
didn't feel like cooking yesterday

I ate Stouffers frozen chicken parmesan

I was surprised how good it was - frozen dinners have really improved

I believe they do better with chicken than beef - beef doesn't cook up well after being frozen and processed by the food giants
Please don't feed the trolls
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 30th, 2019 at 4:50:06 AM permalink
Yogurt
My daily breakfast
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 30th, 2019 at 5:05:58 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Yogurt . . . My daily breakfast

Fermented milk/cream but highly variable as to content. Made with active cultures probably means it contains none when it leaves the plant. Likely to be high in sugar.

NOTE: Olive oil contains only one LISTED ingredient.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 30th, 2019 at 5:21:48 AM permalink
F eating healthy. I give up again. the struggle is real.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 30th, 2019 at 8:57:49 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I agree. I eat worse than just about anyone I know. I have not eaten any fruit or healthy vegetables in over thirty years. The only vegetables I eat are potato's and corn. Haven't had a salad in over 40 years. I refuse to eat anything green.

I am just fortunate that I eat lousy and don't gain much weight. Considering how poorly I eat the thing that saves me is that I don't eat very often. I would guess I only eat about 9 times per week.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 30th, 2019 at 10:58:56 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I have not eaten any fruit or healthy vegetables in over thirty years. The only vegetables I eat are potato's and corn. Haven't had a salad in over 40 years. I refuse to eat anything green.

I eat a ton of veggies every week,
love em. Especially fond of roasted
Brussells sprouts, cauliflower, radishes,
and cabbage. Eat one avocado every
day for lunch, the wonder food.
arethamorce
arethamorce
  • Threads: 0
April 30th, 2019 at 6:31:53 PM permalink
egg rice for breakfast
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
Thanked by
MaxPenOnceDear
April 30th, 2019 at 7:06:40 PM permalink

Obviously, there is some sort of mental barrier.

I like funnel cake, and will probably treat myself to some one day. But joining an eating contest of the most unhealthy food known to man when you have a food problem is probably an act of self-sabatoge. That's like a drunk who says, "I just decided to enter a chug a lug contest." WTF?! It's not even enjoyable.

Your own accounts are that you're happy doing keto and it works well for you. But when you start making progress, you find a way out. There is some reason you don't want to make progress. You need to figure out what it is.

Imagine yourself in your 60s. Plenty of people can climb mountains in their 60s. But you're barely able to walk. Or maybe not able. Your mind is compromised. Your travels, your business: things of the past. Imagine your kids having to spend the prime of their lives, when you were traveling around having a great time, having to take care of you after your health collapses. Imagine having someone having to help you in the bathroom and help you wash yourself.

Some version of this is about 90% likely. You have the resources to prevent it, with little sacrifice on your part. So, why do you keep choosing to sabotage yourself? The answer isn't "IDK." There is some sort of reasoning in your mind that causes this behavior.
GWAE
GWAE
April 30th, 2019 at 7:21:26 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I like funnel cake, and will probably treat myself to some one day. But joining an eating contest of the most unhealthy food known to man when you have a food problem is probably an act of self-sabatoge. That's like a drunk who says, "I just decided to enter a chug a lug contest." WTF?! It's not even enjoyable.

Your own accounts are that you're happy doing keto and it works well for you. But when you start making progress, you find a way out. There is some reason you don't want to make progress. You need to figure out what it is.

Imagine yourself in your 60s. Plenty of people can climb mountains in their 60s. But you're barely able to walk. Or maybe not able. Your mind is compromised. Your travels, your business: things of the past. Imagine your kids having to spend the prime of their lives, when you were traveling around having a great time, having to take care of you after your health collapses. Imagine having someone having to help you in the bathroom and help you wash yourself.

Some version of this is about 90% likely. You have the resources to prevent it, with little sacrifice on your part. So, why do you keep choosing to sabotage yourself? The answer isn't "IDK." There is some sort of reasoning in your mind that causes this behavior.

oh man this got deep. I know it is no excuse and possibly I am just using it as an excuse. Last week I worked 93 hours. Had 4 baseball games, 2 karate lessons, did yard work, and various other things. I literally did not have time to do anything. I just can not find the energy or time to spend 90 minutes in a day preparing, cooking, and cleaning up. Sometimes on these long days it is just easier to throw in a frozen pizza or pick up something. When you see little progress with weight loss it is hard to keep going. Then when you do awesome for 2 weeks and lose 6 pounds, 1 bad weekend basically erases it all and makes me feel like the hard work wasnt worth it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
April 30th, 2019 at 7:25:45 PM permalink
Oh forgot to add. The funnel cake contest was not that big of a deal. It wasnt who can eat the most, it was who can eat one with no hands the fastest. so it was only 1 and it wasnt a huge one. Plus I walked 26489 steps that day so maybe that makes up a little
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 30th, 2019 at 8:39:54 PM permalink

or time to spend 90 minutes in a day preparing, cooking, and cleaning up. .

90 minites?? I cook everything from
scratch and am done with everything
in 45. Or less. If you wanted to do it
badly enough you'd find a way.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
April 30th, 2019 at 8:58:43 PM permalink

I honestly think you missed your calling. #PSYCHOLOGIST4REAL
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
April 30th, 2019 at 9:02:05 PM permalink

oh man this got deep. I know it is no excuse and possibly I am just using it as an excuse. Last week I worked 93 hours. Had 4 baseball games, 2 karate lessons, did yard work, and various other things. I literally did not have time to do anything. I just can not find the energy or time to spend 90 minutes in a day preparing, cooking, and cleaning up. Sometimes on these long days it is just easier to throw in a frozen pizza or pick up something. When you see little progress with weight loss it is hard to keep going. Then when you do awesome for 2 weeks and lose 6 pounds, 1 bad weekend basically erases it all and makes me feel like the hard work wasnt worth it.

Not all of this is the best thing in the world to eat. I'm not Mr. Universe by any stretch of the imagination.

However, I often have some salami with good cheese. Burger with a lettuce wrap. Fried eggs with cheese and hot sauce. Moon cheese or pork rinds. A handful of Brazil nuts and/or some berries. 70%+ dark chocolate. You can also cook up an s load of hamburger with mushrooms, peppers, garlic, onions or whatever you fancy and have like 4-5 meals. Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or some place like El Pollo Loco, if you have those.

OK, the contest is not as bad as it sounded. But I saw a video once and this lady really laid down the hammer. I wish I could find it. But her main point is there is ALWAYS an excuse. Holidays, birthdays, carnivals, trips, business lunches where you don't want to eat differently than everyone else, you're in a hurry, etc. Not that you can't have potatoes on TG, but you have to internalize the fact that there is always a justification to eat badly and just decide you're not going to do it and realize that you can still have a great trip without effing yourself up, or enjoy a birthday without cake. It's not that big a deal. It's really not any harder to eat a cobb salad on vacation than it is at home. Cobb salads are delcious. (I assume everyoe agrees on this).

So, you can eat food you enjoy but isn't EXACTLY what you want and have a nice second half. Or you can insist on eating exactly what you desire at all times, like a child, and wind up a giant, drooling potato man riding a scooter who is a terrible burdin on your loved ones and can do little more than watch TV. All of this activity you describe will come to an end, and not too long from now.

I reckon your kids would prefere you miss a baseball game today, and get to see the grandkids baseball games in the future.

It might sound extreme, but it's not like someone saying your kids will be kidnapped if they ride their bikes to school, or you'll catch Ebola if you go on a Safari. Stroke, heart attack, diabeeetus, amputation, destroyed knees and hips, wild hormoal imbalance, cancer, sleep apnea (which kills thousands a year)... these are not things that might happen. These are things that are very likely to happen.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 1st, 2019 at 2:32:20 AM permalink
I think it's important to note that GWAE is dealing with a family of 4, and you're eating for yourself. (Both Rig and EB) It's much harder to get all that stuff done with kids involved. It's also both of you having flexible schedules while GWAE is running a business full-time and whatever else his wife is doing.

I don't know if they can afford it, but one of those fresh-delivery companies would be ideal for them, the kind that prep the ingredients and guarantee the recipes and food only take 20-30 minutes. I think they're about $30-40 for a meal for 4, though, so perhaps out of reach.

I guess I would suggest trying to have a lot of good-quality food in the house, shop at a good grocery store that sells prepped food and good frozen choices. There's a huge selection of good nutrition frozen stuff these days, that can go in the oven and forget it until it's baked. Just take the time now to go thru the grocery and find a couple dozen things you'd like, make that list to keep, then run fast for it weekly.

You might even buy a good small freezer for the garage or wherever. They're not that expensive, $300 or less. Stock up for a month at a time, maybe from Costco (you must have that there).
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
GWAE
GWAE
May 1st, 2019 at 4:44:19 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think it's important to note that GWAE is dealing with a family of 4, and you're eating for yourself. (Both Rig and EB) It's much harder to get all that stuff done with kids involved. It's also both of you having flexible schedules while GWAE is running a business full-time and whatever else his wife is doing.

I don't know if they can afford it, but one of those fresh-delivery companies would be ideal for them, the kind that prep the ingredients and guarantee the recipes and food only take 20-30 minutes. I think they're about $30-40 for a meal for 4, though, so perhaps out of reach.

I guess I would suggest trying to have a lot of good-quality food in the house, shop at a good grocery store that sells prepped food and good frozen choices. There's a huge selection of good nutrition frozen stuff these days, that can go in the oven and forget it until it's baked. Just take the time now to go thru the grocery and find a couple dozen things you'd like, make that list to keep, then run fast for it weekly.

You might even buy a good small freezer for the garage or wherever. They're not that expensive, $300 or less. Stock up for a month at a time, maybe from Costco (you must have that there).

We have looked into some of those delivery options but they are too expensive for our tastes. Ideally what needs to happen is on Sunday I need to spend 2-4 hours and plan/prep our meals ahead of time for the week.

When it comes down to it, changing a lifestyle is hard and takes a lot of work. Whenever you run out of energy or just not in the mood it is much easier to revert back to the bad habits that got us into our current weight issues. Eating bad is cheaper and easier than eating good.
vegas
vegas
Thanked by
OnceDear
May 1st, 2019 at 5:36:46 AM permalink

Oh forgot to add. The funnel cake contest was not that big of a deal. It wasnt who can eat the most, it was who can eat one with no hands the fastest. so it was only 1 and it wasnt a huge one. Plus I walked 26489 steps that day so maybe that makes up a little

I am more impressed with this post. Those steps equal 12 and a half miles. That is an mind boggling amount. It would be a good workout for a slim person. Well done.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 1st, 2019 at 5:38:39 AM permalink

. Eating bad is cheaper and easier than eating good.

hi GWAE,
I sympathise with your situation. You seem locked in a habitual bad diet. Not unlike an addiction (many of us have those so no judgement from me). You know it's bad and deep down you seem to know what' you need to change. But you seem to lack the will power.
It's easy for a few healthy eaters on here to criticise your situation, but it's not necessarily helpful.
Can I suggest that you do some concentrated self analysis for, say 7 days and write out a realistic action plan. Calorie count what you consume, especially fizzy drinks and sugary treats and then draw up some serious changes. You KNOW. One way or another you need to slash calories, whether it's keto, or whatever.
You really need to get your family on the same project. Understand that you might be doing them a big favour if you can deter them from following your current unhealthy lifestyle. You don't want to die early and you don't want to be crippled or medically f'd up. So just keep trying whatever you can. Keep in mind that your family... Your kids are on the same route as you.. As the adult in the room. Seize control and do the U-turn that gets you all back to the better route.
Good luck on your quest.
Last edited by: OnceDear on May 1, 2019
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
GWAE
GWAE
May 1st, 2019 at 5:52:06 AM permalink
Quote: vegas

I am more impressed with this post. Those steps equal 12 and a half miles. That is an mind boggling amount. It would be a good workout for a slim person. Well done.

Thank you... Today is Wed and I am still sore. We walked a 5 mile charity walk in the morning and then it was a season passholder only opening weekend at amusement park so we went there after. My kids LOVE to ride a ride on side A of park and then run alllll the way to the other side to ride a ride there. Then back to the same ride they just rode. My calves still hurt.

I am running the kids marathon on Saturday. It is 1.3 miles so no big deal I think.... If I don't post on here after the race then I might have died.
GWAE
GWAE
May 1st, 2019 at 5:56:04 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

hi GWAE,
I sympathise with your situation. You seem locked in a habitual bad diet. Not unlike an addiction (many of us have those so no judgement from me). You know it's bad and deep down you seem to know what' you need to change. But you seem to lack the will power.
It's easy for a few healthy eaters on here to criticise your situation, but it's not necessarily helpful.
Can I suggest that you do some concentrated self analysis for, say 7 days and write out a realistic action plan. Calorie count what you consume, especially fizzy drinks and sugary treats and then draw up some serious changes. You KNOW. One way or another you need to slash calories, whether it's keto, or whatever.
You really need to get your family on the same project. Understand that you might be doing them a big favour if you can deter them from following your current unhealthy lifestyle. You don't want to die early and you don't want to be crippled or medically f'd up. So just keep trying whatever you can. Keep in mind that your family... Your kids are on the same route as you.. As the adult in the room. Seize control and do the U-turn that gets you all back to the better route.
Good luck on your quest.

I have realllly cut down the fizzy drinks so I am proud of that. I used to have at least 1 a day. We went to the park on Sunday where we have unlimited drinks. I had a iced tea which is probably just as bad as pepsi and the rest was water.

I am a total hypocrite. I do not allow my kids to have pop at all. They have only had limited amounts in their short life. I do not believe they have every had coke or pepsi. They have had root beer a handful of times and sprite a few times. My 7 year old yells at me any time I have pop since I don't let him which is probably why I have stopped drinking it.
Last edited by: OnceDear on May 1, 2019
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 1st, 2019 at 6:13:33 AM permalink
How about sun dried tomatoes? To me they taste like candy.....
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 1st, 2019 at 6:17:44 AM permalink
I've tried a bunch of meal delivery services but the one I stick with is Freshly. Their Italian meals are phenomenal. I cook a pound of penne pasta, mix it with one Freshly meal and end up with three meals. It's $9.99 for the meal, $.99 for the box of pasta and perhaps a buck for grated cheese so about $4 a meal. I order six meals every three weeks for $54.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GWAE
GWAE
May 1st, 2019 at 6:23:27 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

How about sun dried tomatoes? To me they taste like candy.....

never tried them. Will have to
billryan
billryan
May 1st, 2019 at 6:27:42 AM permalink
Sun dried tomato and fresh mozzarella on a.toasted bagel!
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 1st, 2019 at 6:51:31 AM permalink

never tried them. Will have to

They come either in olive oil or just totally dry. I get them from the 'olive bar' area of my local supermarket (Wegmans), and they just have a touch of olive oil on them. If you get them totally dry you can eat them like candy; obviously if in olive oil I use a fork.....
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 1st, 2019 at 7:13:10 AM permalink

When it comes down to it, changing a lifestyle is hard and takes a lot of work. Whenever you run out of energy or just not in the mood it is much easier to revert back to the bad habits that got us into our current weight issues. Eating bad is cheaper and easier than eating good.

Precisely. All that good advice from BBB is great but its hard when you are frazzled. And "in the mood" is a great jazz tune but its rare for anyone to be in the mood to do the dishes or slice onions or run around a grocery store's maze trying to remember this and that.

These recipe websites are great. You need only select your favorite recipes and the web site lists an entire month's requirements and what they are currently selling for.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 1st, 2019 at 7:33:57 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

Sun dried tomato and fresh mozzarella on a.toasted bagel!

I'd love to have a solar dehydrator, some cheese making equipment and some acorn or hazelnut flour with which to make bagels, unfortunately those items rarely are found at the local Goodwill Store or at the local Food Bank.

There is a restaurant that serves a nice traditional Lebanese Breakfast but its eighty-four miles distant and charges $28.00 per person for breakfast. A tad bit out of the question for an ancient and doddering old geezer living in the county poorhouse whose only transportation is shank's mare or thumb.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
May 1st, 2019 at 7:44:27 AM permalink

Last week I worked 93 hours. Had 4 baseball games, 2 karate lessons, did yard work, and various other things. I literally did not have time to do anything. basically

if you want to eat healthy but don't have a lot of time, most big grocery stores have a great salad bar

my grocery has self serve cashier machines and I can usually get in and out faster than at a 7/11

just a thought. but if you really believe you can't do it you probably won't
Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
May 1st, 2019 at 8:12:21 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

I'd love to have a solar dehydrator, some cheese making equipment and some acorn or hazelnut flour with which to make bagels, unfortunately those items rarely are found at the local Goodwill Store or at the local Food Bank.

There is a restaurant that serves a nice traditional Lebanese Breakfast but its eighty-four miles distant and charges $28.00 per person for breakfast. A tad bit out of the question for an ancient and doddering old geezer living in the county poorhouse whose only transportation is shank's mare or thumb.

The early bird gets the choicest roadkill.
GWAE
GWAE
May 1st, 2019 at 8:30:19 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

if you want to eat healthy but don't have a lot of time, most big grocery stores have a great salad bar

my grocery has self serve cashier machines and I can usually get in and out faster than at a 7/11

just a thought. but if you really believe you can't do it you probably won't

the food addiction is as tough as a drug addiction IMO.

I do love a salad and I eat that regularly. Local restaurant chain Eat N Park has a great salad bar. Hoss's has an even better one. Just got to be careful not to put the wrong things on a salad. It is easy to make a salad worse for you than eating a Big Mac.
DRich
DRich
May 1st, 2019 at 12:10:11 PM permalink
I will regularly just eat lunch meat for dinner. Grab about five slices of ham or turkey and wrap them around a piece of Swiss cheese. That is dinner. I rarely use bread and make a sandwich.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
May 1st, 2019 at 12:13:51 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I will regularly just eat lunch meat for dinner. Grab about five slices of ham or turkey and wrap them around a piece of Swiss cheese. That is dinner. I rarely use bread and make a sandwich.

That was my standard lunch but I use bread and I bought the best lunch meats, Boarshead brand
Its processed meat
DR told me to stay away
I totally cut processed meats out of my diet
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
DRich
DRich
May 1st, 2019 at 12:15:37 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

That was my standard lunch but I use bread and I bought the best lunch meats, Boarshead brand
Its processed meat
DR told me to stay away
I totally cut processed meats out of my diet

I am not concerned with being healthy. My goal is to win my life insurance bet and have Genworth write my wife a big check.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
May 1st, 2019 at 12:18:52 PM permalink

the food addiction is as tough as a drug addiction IMO.

Something tells me you don't have a large field for comparison.

I am getting ready to have a medium bowl of Roundup tainted cheerios with banana slices.
GWAE
GWAE
May 3rd, 2019 at 5:32:19 PM permalink
Running kids marathon tomorrow (1.2 miles) so gonna go to olive garden for late dinner to carb up.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 3rd, 2019 at 7:31:59 PM permalink

Running kids marathon tomorrow (1.2 miles) so gonna go to olive garden for late dinner to carb up.

That's actually probably the worst thing to do is to have a late night carbo-loading dinner the night before a race. Okay, maybe the worst thing would be going on a meth & margarita binge the night before. But for real, you should be loading up on carbs for a few days before the race, not just the day before. Luckily for you, it's only a short 1.2 mile run.
RS
RS
May 3rd, 2019 at 7:34:10 PM permalink
Today I ate 2 burritos. One was a 33c burrito and the other was a $1.07 burrito. Which one was better, you ask? Definitely the 33c one. I also add some Red Hots to it which makes it a bit tastier. The problem with the very expensive $1.07 burrito is that it doesn't heat up too goodly all throughout, so the outsides are hot af while the innard section is colder than a lampshade in England.

Idk I figured that's probably an expression somewhere.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
May 3rd, 2019 at 8:21:34 PM permalink
Olive Garden is a mystery to me. Easily the worst italian place I've ever been to. There is no doubt in my mind that the food is frozen. Tastes exactly like a frozen dinner from the super market.

And it's expensive! That's the kicker to me. If the chicken parm was $7, I would get it. You take the family out. The kids probably don't know the difference. It's not about good food, it's about taking a bunch of kids out to eat and the bill is low. But it's like $18! It costs MORE than some random Italian place.

I ate there a couple years ago because I had a gift card and I've never been so baffled as to how a place stays in business.

There are some chain restaurants where the food is not bad. There are some where it is bad, but it's really cheap. But I can't think of another one with worse food, and few are more expensive.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 3rd, 2019 at 8:24:59 PM permalink

Olive Garden is a mystery to me. Easily the worst italian place I've ever been to. There is no doubt in my mind that the food is frozen. Tastes exactly like a frozen dinner from the super market.

And it's expensive! That's the kicker to me. If the chicken parm was $7, I would get it. You take the family out. The kids probably don't know the difference. It's not about good food, it's about taking a bunch of kids out to eat and the bill is low. But it's like $18! It costs MORE than some random Italian place.

I ate there a couple years ago because I had a gift card and I've never been so baffled as to how a place stays in business.

There are some chain restaurants where the food is not bad. There are some where it is bad, but it's really cheap. But I can't think of another one with worse food, and few are more expensive.

People think they're getting a deal because of the endless salad and breads ticks (both quitems good). But I agree, the entrees are the pits. I had a similar reaction to them, never have gone voluntarily.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
May 3rd, 2019 at 9:05:33 PM permalink
Yes, that always cracks me up. As if every place that gives you bread, won't give you as much as you want.

I disagree that either the salad or breadsticks are good at OG.

But, as a rule, I think one of the keys to chain restaurants is having a tasty bread course. Even though they taste processed/pre-made, I have to admit to enjoying the bread at Red Lobster, Outback, Gladstones, Cheescake, and others.

Smart strat for them. Make the cheapest course the tastiest. Get the customers started off with something that makes them happy.
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 3rd, 2019 at 9:22:51 PM permalink
I have to disagree on the Outback bread. Only bread with an after taste. With enough butter though.
RS
RS
May 3rd, 2019 at 9:25:39 PM permalink
Don't forget to always salt your food, you two.
GWAE
GWAE
May 3rd, 2019 at 9:32:48 PM permalink
Quote: RS

That's actually probably the worst thing to do is to have a late night carbo-loading dinner the night before a race. Okay, maybe the worst thing would be going on a meth & margarita binge the night before. But for real, you should be loading up on carbs for a few days before the race, not just the day before. Luckily for you, it's only a short 1.2 mile run.

Well instead of eating dinner I fell asleep on the couch. Its 1230 and I am wide awake. Gotta be at the race at 9am so yeah.

I haven't run a full mile in probably 10 years. We shoud take votes on my time. It's the kids marathon so I am running with 7 year old. Running part is 1 mile. The other .2 is from end to award area.

I think we can break 10 min.
MaxPen
MaxPen
May 3rd, 2019 at 9:39:09 PM permalink
I'm going to put you at 12 minutes at best. Probably closer to 15. Don't hurt yourself.
GWAE
GWAE
May 3rd, 2019 at 9:44:44 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

I'm going to put you at 12 minutes at best. Probably closer to 15. Don't hurt yourself.

Cant you talk a mile in 15?
RS
RS
May 3rd, 2019 at 9:51:36 PM permalink

Cant you talk a mile in 15?

HE probably can. But we're talking about you. :)
GWAE
GWAE
May 3rd, 2019 at 10:00:55 PM permalink
Quote: RS

HE probably can. But we're talking about you. :)

I will break 11 min easily
RS
RS
May 3rd, 2019 at 10:02:48 PM permalink

I will break 11 min easily

Including the 0.2 walk?

#BetTheOver
#LockOfTheCentury
#LetThatSinkIn
🚰
  • Jump to: