MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 13th, 2014 at 3:55:52 PM permalink
Canada is such a second tier country; how is it they trumped us and our much ballyhooed CDC on this one?

Bravo, Canucks.
"What, me worry?"
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 14th, 2014 at 2:08:48 PM permalink
What's scary is when we have an incompetent president making the following remarks:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/brittany-m-hughes/obama-you-cant-get-ebola-sitting-next-someone-bus-cdc-avoid-public

I believe that Obama is more worried about people being discriminated against on a bus, then he is about Ebola.

In the meantime, people on airplanes, and buses are going to start distancing themselves from the people that they believe are from Africa. And for some very good reasons!

Furthermore, the CDC chief is incompetent as well. So far, Doctors have not received anything from the CDC detailing what they should do in the event that someone with Ebola like symptoms comes into their office. Why not?

I think it's time for WHO to step in and replace the CDC in this country.

Let's "HOPE" that Mitt Romney runs in 2016. We need real leadership.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 14th, 2014 at 2:24:47 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

I believe that Obama is more worried about people being discriminated against on a bus, then he is about Ebola.

Everybody is scratching their heads about
why no travel bans and they're saying it
must be because it effects mostly Blacks,
Obama thinks it would be racist. What other
reason could there be. Much more PC to
endanger everybody than to look racist.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Keyser
Keyser
October 14th, 2014 at 2:31:27 PM permalink
This country needs leadership.

Since we don't have the travel filters in place, people will try and stay away from the blacks that they feel are from Africa. With Ebola on the loose, discrimination could save your life on an airplane or bus.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 14th, 2014 at 3:00:09 PM permalink
It won't be just blacks from Africa. The first
thing the guy who came here and died did
was hang out with his black family and blacks
in the apartment building.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
October 14th, 2014 at 3:31:19 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

On a darker note, my wife asked me, after reading the article about ebola: "how many bullets do we have?"
She fears something akin to mass chaos and disorder could erupt if this thing spirals out of control.

The influenza epidemic of 1918 estimates at the time say it killed 40–50 million people, while current estimates say 50–100 million people worldwide were killed. It is said that this flu killed more people in 24 weeks than AIDS has killed in 24 years, more in a year than the Black Death killed in a century. In the U.S., about 28% of the population suffered, and 500,000 to 675,000 died (several times the 117,000 that died in the just finished World War I).

Probably 50,000 people die every year from flu.

It would probably take a lot of ebola victims before the USA dissolves in total anarchy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 14th, 2014 at 3:37:28 PM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

The influenza epidemic of 1918 estimates at the time say it killed 40–50 million people,.

Hemingway was 19 in 1918, he lost several
friends to the flu, and was aware of many
others that died. Like many people from that
generation, he was terrified of the flu for
the rest of his life. It's ironic. Hemingway
was certainly not afraid of putting himself
in danger. He covered wars, hunted big game
in Africa, did many things that put him in
harms way. But the thought of dying from
something you can't see and can't fight terrified
him.
MrV
MrV
October 15th, 2014 at 6:35:23 AM permalink
A second health care worker in Texas now has the disease.

Katy bar the door.
"What, me worry?"
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 15th, 2014 at 6:57:45 AM permalink
This thread has taken a very racist turn for some reason. Yikes.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 15th, 2014 at 7:09:41 AM permalink

Canada is such a second tier country; how is it they trumped us and our much ballyhooed CDC on this one?

Bravo, Canucks.

It's because our medical universities are frickin' awesome.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 15th, 2014 at 8:12:09 AM permalink
The lack of reason here is quite scary.

We have a disease with a 70% kill rate. It spreads only through direct contact with bodily fluids, including mucous. This would mean sneezing as well.

By far, this is the largest worldwide outbreak of Ebola. There is a reason for alarm, but the alarm is similar to SARS. For planes coming from West Africa, simply apply screening measures for those inbound flights to ask each passenger if they had been in contact with anyone who was sick in the past 12 days, to deny entry for those who are apparently sick, and to ask if they were in Ebola infested areas, just like Toronto had when SARS hit here.

Previous outbreaks in war-torn and impoverished countries have been stopped before and there is no reason that we can't stop this one again. The hospital where the second person got infected shows that it isn't a huge spreader as you would expect that for something that took out a big chunk of society would be far more contagious.

So don't worry folks.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
October 15th, 2014 at 8:19:35 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

For planes coming from West Africa, simply apply screening measures for those inbound flights to ask each passenger if they had been in contact with anyone who was sick in the past 12 days, to deny entry for those who are apparently sick, and to ask if they were in Ebola infested areas, just like Toronto had when SARS hit here.

That is a great theory because people would never lie trying to get to a country with better medical or back home. Whoops. I forgot the patient in Dallas did lie about being in an effected area and visiting a sick relative. Oh the temperature scan would pick him up, except he didn't have symptoms yet.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
MrV
MrV
October 15th, 2014 at 8:30:20 AM permalink
Deny entry to people from afflicted countries: no exceptions, even for returning Americans.

Take the temp of all who board flights to the U.S.A. before they board, and bar entry if a temp is detected.

Have CDC / the Feds get aggressive and proactive about this outbreak; they need to get hospitals and staff up to speed, stat, and work on a vaccine.

Ounce of prevention, pound of cure.

"What, me worry?"
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 15th, 2014 at 9:57:39 AM permalink
All experts are stating that this is not a big deal. Most experts state that denying air travel from West Africa will just make these people travel elsewhere before coming to their inevitable destination.

All experts are stating that the spread of this disease is limited. The hundreds of people on the plane from Liberia that Duncan arrived from did not contract Ebola. The family members who had close contact with Duncan did not contract Ebola.

All of the previous outbreaks died out.

Relax.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 15th, 2014 at 12:32:42 PM permalink
Of course there is a song.

Ebola in Town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_WOR22-SnY
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 15th, 2014 at 2:50:42 PM permalink
So far we have the experts saying mostly "OOPS: We mishandled this."

Texas hospital. CDC. Everybody relevant.

So I'm not satisfied they know just when a person becomes infectious. Or how it's transmitted (what the level of contact has to be).

Still not in panic mode. But questions of credibility of information being disseminated continue.

With them doing inbound screening and putting Go Teams in place, perhaps they'll get it under control. Perhaps they will need to do more if they're continuing to underestimate the regimen necessary to stop this. Time will tell.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 15th, 2014 at 2:53:40 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

So I'm not satisfied they know just when a person becomes infectious. Or how it's transmitted (what the level of contact has to be).

Obama is on TV telling us not to worry,
he thinks he has little chance of getting
Ebola. He hopes.
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 15th, 2014 at 2:56:16 PM permalink

So far we have the experts saying mostly "OOPS: We mishandled this."

Texas hospital. CDC. Everybody relevant.

Still not in panic mode. But questions of credibility of information being disseminated continue.

With them doing inbound screening and putting Go Teams in place, perhaps they'll get it under control. Perhaps they will need to do more if they're continuing to underestimate the regimen necessary to stop this. Time will tell.

The disease itself will tell. A planeload full of people with one Ebola infected person infects no one. Guy arrives in a hospital with symptoms - gets turned away - infects no one. Guy arrives again and a nurse who worked very closely with the patient gets Ebola (and is healthy right now). No one else gets infected.

The disease itself is not bird flu. It's quite uncontagious.
MrV
MrV
October 15th, 2014 at 4:14:59 PM permalink
So now a second nurse has Ebola, and she flew on a plane fully aware she had a fever and likely had Ebola.

Tick ... tick ... tick
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 15th, 2014 at 4:16:43 PM permalink

So now a second nurse has Ebola, and she flew on a plane fully aware she had a fever and likely had Ebola.

Tick ... tick ... tick

For not being very contagious, we sure are
hearing a different story.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
October 15th, 2014 at 4:25:38 PM permalink
maybe this will be the solution for the social security crisis.

So a nurse who worked near the first patient flies. She should be thrown in jail for something that stupid.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
MrV
MrV
October 15th, 2014 at 4:34:04 PM permalink
That guy, Duncan, who flew from Africa to the USA knowing he had Ebola, and lied about it to get out: he should be ... oh wait.

Never mind.

Nature already meted out his punishment.
"What, me worry?"
rxwine
rxwine
October 15th, 2014 at 6:12:58 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

maybe this will be the solution for the social security crisis.

So a nurse who worked near the first patient flies. She should be thrown in jail for something that stupid.

She called the CDC first according to reports. Her temp didn't meet the standard, so they said she was okay. (Believe it was 99.5)

I imagine low grade temps for anyone who has had contact is going to be the standard soon -- since she was someone who knew she had contact with the patient.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
October 15th, 2014 at 6:22:17 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

For not being very contagious, we sure are
hearing a different story.

You do realize that this means the original US patient started 2 infections so a reproductive rate of 2 from this sample. That is not very contagious at all. To put that in perspective when measles was widespread before vaccination each infected person spread to on average 17 people, that is a very contagious disease.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 15th, 2014 at 7:09:53 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

You do realize that this means the original US patient started 2 infections so a reproductive rate of 2 from this sample. That is not very contagious at all. To put that in perspective when measles was widespread before vaccination each infected person spread to on average 17 people, that is a very contagious disease.

The Power of 2 is exponential. It needs to get down below 1 before it's under control.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 15th, 2014 at 7:24:19 PM permalink
Health care workers treating Thomas Eric Duncan in a hospital isolation unit didn’t wear protective hazardous-material suits for two days until tests confirmed the Liberian man had Ebola — a delay that potentially exposed perhaps dozens of hospital workers to the virus, according to medical records.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2014/10/presbyterian-workers-wore-no-protective-gear-for-two-days-while-treating-ebola-patient.html/

This could mean a couple of things--a low infection rate if no more of the dozens of people that worked on the Duncan case get infected or additional cases that represent a higher infection rate. In either case, not using hazmat suits and having a less then stringent protocol may have more to do with the spread than anything else.
MrV
MrV
October 15th, 2014 at 8:05:59 PM permalink
Helpful article: "10 things America needs to do about Ebola."

Ebola article
"What, me worry?"
Twirdman
Twirdman
October 15th, 2014 at 8:54:27 PM permalink

The Power of 2 is exponential. It needs to get down below 1 before it's under control.

This is true and most likely it will go down to 0 after these 2 are treated. There are reports that this hospital was improperly handling things and the nurses came in direct contact with bodily fluids. But a reproduction rate of 2 gives an idea of how quickly it spreads. Specifically it would take roughly 10-20 weeks for this to even spread to 1000 people if it could maintain the reproductive rate of 2 something very unlikely given that that rate is also what is observed in Africa with vastly different behaviors then the US leading to increased spreading of the disease.
artvandelay
artvandelay
October 16th, 2014 at 1:40:45 PM permalink
SHELTER IN PLACE!
rxwine
rxwine
October 16th, 2014 at 1:58:13 PM permalink
Quote: artvandelay

SHELTER IN PLACE!

Regardless of whether Ebola becomes the next plague, everyone should be prepared. Remember this story from awhile back:

Quote:

ROTTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS—Locked up in the bowels of the medical faculty building here and accessible to only a handful of scientists lies a man-made flu virus that could change world history if it were ever set free.

The virus is an H5N1 avian influenza strain that has been genetically altered and is now easily transmissible between ferrets, the animals that most closely mimic the human response to flu. Scientists believe it's likely that the pathogen, if it emerged in nature or were released, would trigger an influenza pandemic, quite possibly with many millions of deaths.

In a 17th floor office in the same building, virologist Ron Fouchier of Erasmus Medical Center calmly explains why his team created what he says is "probably one of the most dangerous viruses you can make"—and why he wants to publish a paper describing how they did it. Fouchier is also bracing for a media storm. After he talked to ScienceInsider yesterday, he had an appointment with an institutional press officer to chart a communication strategy.

http://news.sciencemag.org/2011/11/scientists-brace-media-storm-around-controversial-flu-studies
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 16th, 2014 at 2:00:21 PM permalink
The CDC directer says Ebola can be transmitted
on a bus, then later said you can't get it on a bus.

I feel so safe now..
RonC
RonC
October 16th, 2014 at 4:13:19 PM permalink

The CDC directer says Ebola can be transmitted
on a bus, then later said you can't get it on a bus.

I feel so safe now..

If the CDC Director is who I just heard being questioned by a panel (I breezed by TV), he's an idiot. He said that he had not seen the transcript from the phone call the nurse made to the CDC before flying. What? You have three cases in the USA...THREE...and you don't know all of the details?
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 16th, 2014 at 4:18:28 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

If the CDC Director is who I just heard being questioned by a panel (I breezed by TV), he's an idiot. He said that he had not seen the transcript from the phone call the nurse made to the CDC before flying. What? You have three cases in the USA...THREE...and you don't know all of the details?

She called the CDC and told them she had
treated the patient in Dallas, and she had
a fever. No problem they said, get on the
plane. Makes you want to laugh uproariously.
RonC
RonC
October 16th, 2014 at 4:21:13 PM permalink

She called the CDC and told them she had
treated the patient in Dallas, and she had
a fever. No problem they said, get on the
plane. Makes you want to laugh uproariously.

They did not use their thinking skills...okay, that fever isn't high enough based on my chart but shouldn't the additional information (she treated the patient in Dallas) be considered? Nope. It isn't on my chart.

Go ahead, ma'am.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 16th, 2014 at 4:51:56 PM permalink

They did not use their thinking skills...okay, that fever isn't high enough based on my chart but shouldn't the additional information (she treated the patient in Dallas) be considered? Nope. It isn't on my chart. Go ahead, ma'am.

And they're TRAINED in what to do. What
would untrained people have told her?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 16th, 2014 at 4:55:24 PM permalink
How many people on that flight have caught the e-bolaz?
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 16th, 2014 at 5:37:54 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Could take 3 weeks to find out. What some are
most afraid of is that it gets to Central America
and there's a huge surge of frightened people
surging our border. That's a bigger scare than
Obola becoming a problem here. No, Obola
is not a spelling error.
MrV
MrV
October 16th, 2014 at 5:45:31 PM permalink

What some are
most afraid of is that it gets to Central America
and there's a huge surge of frightened people
surging our border.

Well then, maybe we'd better start building bunkers all along the Mexican border and man them with troops equipped with heavy machine guns and flame throwers.

Of course, keep tactical nukes in reserve, along with nerve gas.

Hell, should have done that years ago.
"What, me worry?"
RS
RS
October 16th, 2014 at 5:58:14 PM permalink

Well then, maybe we'd better start building bunkers all along the Mexican border and man them with troops equipped with heavy machine guns and flame throwers.

Of course, keep tactical nukes in reserve, along with nerve gas.

Hell, should have done that years ago.

That's what I been saying, but, people kept calling me racist!
RonC
RonC
October 16th, 2014 at 6:29:00 PM permalink

Who cares? The people at the CDC should have told her not to fly.
RS
RS
October 16th, 2014 at 7:03:46 PM permalink

Who cares? The people at the CDC should have told her not to fly.

Regardless, it will show how infectious the disease is (if, in fact, she was contagious during the time she was on the flight).
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 16th, 2014 at 8:07:03 PM permalink

Regardless, it will show how infectious the disease is (if, in fact, she was contagious during the time she was on the flight).

Didn't the CDC director say Obola can be transmitted
on a plane but you can't catch it on a plane? No wait,
it was a bus. Plane travel is safe as long as you don't
touch anybody or inhale on the flight.
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
October 16th, 2014 at 8:26:57 PM permalink
Health Care workers cleaning diarrhea and vomit seem to be at the most risk of infection. Even in Africa family members caring for the sick and health care workers are the victims. I seriously doubt anyone flying on the plane with the nurse with a 99.5 fever gets it unless she puked on them.
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 16th, 2014 at 8:52:48 PM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

I seriously doubt anyone flying on the plane with the nurse with a 99.5 fever gets it unless she puked on them.

Or coughed or sneezed, that's all it takes.
Keyser
Keyser
October 16th, 2014 at 9:00:04 PM permalink
Coughing and sneezing isn't what should worry the passengers the most. They should hope that they didn't use the restroom after her or sit too closely to it when she flushed. That's what they should worry about the most.

Let's hope she was able to hold it.

Now if she didn't, what about the toxic waste in the restroom?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 16th, 2014 at 9:11:08 PM permalink
With air inside an airplane constantly recirculated physical proximity to the source of the pathogen is not required.
Get iron poor and zinc rich and get fresh air.
Keyser
Keyser
October 16th, 2014 at 9:13:38 PM permalink
I don't think zinc, iron, or vitamin C is going to help with Ebola. Your best bet is to avoid the restroom all together.
rxwine
rxwine
October 16th, 2014 at 9:45:21 PM permalink

Or coughed or sneezed, that's all it takes.

Only on people who won't let you recline.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 17th, 2014 at 12:18:08 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Only on people who won't let you recline.

Nothing is bad enough for people who recline..
  • Jump to: