Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:11:23 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Is a Person Contagious During the Ebola Incubation Period?

Even if a person exhibits no signs or symptoms of Ebola, he or she can still spread the virus during the incubation period.

Where are you reading this. The WHO article I linked clearly points to they are not infectious during incubation period. So does the CDC article I posted earlier. Also notice you backed down on the point how you are no longer infectious when you are symptomatic.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:15:01 PM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

You are infectious during and after you show symptoms is the point.

The point is, if you're in the incubation period, which
takes up to 10 days, you're still infectious and can
walk thru any airport inspection. Or come across
the southern border.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Twirdman
Twirdman
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:19:30 PM permalink

the southern border.

Again this is false according to both WHO and CDC. I don't know where you keep getting that ebola is infectious during its incubation time but it is not according to the CDC, WHO, and everyone I have talked to about this subject.
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:26:24 PM permalink
What happens when we have someone with Ebola in charge of food preperation at a school or large public gathering? It's very common for immigrants to be in such positions.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:29:14 PM permalink

the southern border.

If that's the point, why did you say "if you show symptoms you are beyond the infectious stage." I'm not read up like Twirdman, but I am unfamiliar with any virus being infectious for the first half of its latency period. Ebola is not airborne, and if infectious, it would require bodily fluid transfer...unlikely to happen in any crowded place. In America, when someone starts bleeding from every opening, very few people use that as an opportunity to lick the person or share semen, at least not without latex.
Twirdman
Twirdman
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:30:11 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

What happens when we have someone with Ebola in charge of food preperation at a school or large public gathering? It's very common for immigrants to be in such positions.

So they are not routinely traveling to Liberia or any other country where Ebola is located. Also again cannot spread if not symptomatic. Also normally precautions are taken like wearing gloves. Also that would at worst infect a single school and once it was discovered they could quarantine all those people.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:34:54 PM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

So they are not routinely traveling to Liberia or any other country where Ebola is located. Also again cannot spread if not symptomatic. Also normally precautions are taken like wearing gloves. Also that would at worst infect a single school and once it was discovered they could quarantine all those people.

You get ebola from eating raw bats, taking care of people with ebola without medical protection, and playing with corpses. Does he really think that elementary food cooks bleed into kids' food?
Keyser
Keyser
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:38:22 PM permalink

You get ebola from eating raw bats, taking care of people with ebola without medical protection, and playing with corpses. Does he really think that elementary food cooks bleed into kids' food?

Hepatitis has been spread to school children in the past because of an infected employee. Fecal contamination from poor handwashing used to be one of the main threats. And if you don't think that Ebola is in feces, then think again. And yes, food prep never ever causes a cut finger. So blood in the food would be, well, completely impossible. Right?
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:47:21 PM permalink

Hepatitis has been spread to school children in the past because of an infected employee. Fecal contamination from poor handwashing used to be one of the main threats. And if you don't think that Ebola is in feces, then think again.

The window of time for someone to not know they have Ebola (and be able to work) and also be infectious (if there is any window), is very small. Perhaps we should pad our cars in rubber to protect against lightning strikes.
Keyser
Keyser
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:49:33 PM permalink
If that were the case, then infectious people would never make it into the US, right?
LOL
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:50:40 PM permalink

I don't know where you keep getting that ebola is infectious during its incubation time.

Here's one place, 2nd question answered.
But I'm sure you know more than they
do about it. Snicker..

http://ebola.emedtv.com/ebola/ebola-incubation-period.html
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:53:46 PM permalink

The window of time for someone to not know they have Ebola (and be able to work) and also be infectious (if there is any window), is very small.

Incubation period is 2-21 days, and you
are infectious. That's a small window, 3
weeks?
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:55:54 PM permalink

The window of time for someone to not know they have Ebola (and be able to work) and also be infectious (if there is any window), is very small. Perhaps we should pad our cars in rubber to protect against lightning strikes.

My car already has tires, are you suggesting padding the roof?

A car is one of the safest places during a lightning strike.
Keyser
Keyser
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:58:30 PM permalink
Ebola from public toilets is a real possibility as well.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:05:21 PM permalink

Ebola from public toilets is a real possibility as well.

Yup. Whatever is really going on, we can depend
on the gov't to tell us last. Isn't that the way it goes
in every single movie ever made about a killer
virus? The gov't goes to extreme lengths to keep
the details quiet.
Twirdman
Twirdman
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:07:26 PM permalink

Here's one place, 2nd question answered.
But I'm sure you know more than they
do about it. Snicker..

I have never heard of emedtv and really cannot find anything about it. I quoted the CDC and the WHO the two largest and most influential organizations relating to infectious diseases in the world.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:17:12 PM permalink

If that were the case, then infectious people would never make it into the US, right?
LOL

you're right we're all gonna die
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:19:32 PM permalink

Incubation period is 2-21 days, and you
are infectious. That's a small window, 3
weeks?

You're not immediately infectious. Someone this misinformed must be an avid Fox News viewer.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:20:58 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

My car already has tires, are you suggesting padding the roof?

A car is one of the safest places during a lightning strike.

No it's not, maybe if you're outside. My suggestion was facetious.
Keyser
Keyser
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:25:30 PM permalink
Fox News is the best news channel ever! The most viewers, and it's fair and balanced.

Long live Fox!
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:30:40 PM permalink

No it's not, maybe if you're outside. My suggestion was facetious.

I thought you were being facetious and I just played along.

Along those lines, a car is usually outside. Agreed, it would be safer underground in a parking garage, but then it wouldn't make much sense to pad it with rubber.

Being in a car insulated from the ground is much safer than swinging a golf club during lightning.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:33:59 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

I thought you were being facetious and I just played along.

Along those lines, a car is usually outside. Agreed, it would be safer underground in a parking garage, but then it wouldn't make much sense to pad it with rubber.

Being in a car insulated from the ground is much safer than swinging a golf club during lightning.

Agreed. I think we should get back to the task of wondering how EvenBob could know so little, but still be educated enough to construct sentences.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:41:04 PM permalink

You're not immediately infectious. Someone this misinformed

Second question down. Wise up..

Twirdman
Twirdman
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:49:31 PM permalink

Or for a far more well known and reliable source http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/faq-ebola/en/ question 4. Or if you prefer the quote itself

"The incubation period, or the time interval from infection to onset of symptoms, is from 2 to 21 days. The patients become contagious once they begin to show symptoms. They are not contagious during the incubation period."
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 3rd, 2014 at 9:50:47 PM permalink

Okay, so if the incubation period is 21 days, that means the person gets sick on day 22. All this article definitively says is the person may or may not be infectious starting on day 21. Note the use of indefinite language like 'can'. Polarized ideology and ignoring facts is a symptom of watching Fox News. Fortunately, this disease is not contagious.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 3rd, 2014 at 10:43:37 PM permalink

Or for a far more well known and reliable source http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/faq-ebola/en/ question 4. Or if you prefer the quote itself

"The incubation period, or the time interval from infection to onset of symptoms, is from 2 to 21 days. The patients become contagious once they begin to show symptoms. They are not contagious during the incubation period."

The contagion point to this laymen is a bit of a moot point.

I know in parts of New Iberia Louisiana [so I assume elsewhere] some high school kids that are seen wearing shirts inside out were doing so because they didn't have laundry facilities. So hypothetically a kid is infected and wipes his nose on his shirt and continues to wear it all week, playing ball with his friends. Without the incubation period and scientific method of determining when this person is contagious they could easily pass snot and sweat around the entire school.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/during-an-ebola-pandemic-all-of-your-rights-would-essentially-be-meaningless

If this thread is approaching the hysterical paradigm, count me in. I love a good conspiracy in the morning.

I think I am nearing paranoia overload and becoming desensitized to any real threat around me. I am still hung up on Fukashima radiating the entire pacific ocean and all the dead starfish.

The Four horseman this way cometh.
Keyser
Keyser
October 10th, 2014 at 2:39:33 PM permalink
It sure would help if our country has some competent leadership when it comes to dealing with Ebola.

"President Barack Obama dispensed advice on how residents can avoid the disease, including:"You cannot get it through casual contact like sitting next to someone on a bus."

At the same time, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is advising Americans who travel to the Ebola-stricken nations to "avoid public transportation." -By Brittany M. Hughes http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/brittany-m-hughes/obama-you-cant-get-ebola-sitting-next-someone-bus-cdc-avoid-public

-------------------------

In the meantime, US doctors have not received any packets from the CDC as to how to deal with possible Ebola infected patients. Each year they receive their flu packets, but so far...nothing on Ebola. Why not?

-Keyser
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
October 10th, 2014 at 3:15:50 PM permalink

Like the fellow in Texas that just died. Went to the hospital with symptoms and got sent home. Waited for 3 days before coming back.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
Keyser
Keyser
October 10th, 2014 at 3:19:24 PM permalink
What I don't understand is why haven't our US doctors received anything from the CDC as to how to deal with Ebola???

My doctor friends are saying that they're having to do their own research at this point.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 10th, 2014 at 4:57:30 PM permalink
The derailment discussion about news network bias can be found here.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
October 10th, 2014 at 5:05:07 PM permalink
There was an airplane quarantined at McCarran.

Apparently not ebola but did they really check properly? Not going to stick my ginger in any throw up for the next while.
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
October 10th, 2014 at 6:06:31 PM permalink
There are many varieties of infectious diseases in the world. I have lived in places that have diseases that are relatively unfamiliar to many people in the U.S. and because of that might sound especially exotic and probably seem more scary to some of them than all the ones they are more familiar with, such as dengue fever, etc. There have been worldwide pandemics of various pathogens in the past, and eventually some day there will probably be another one. Maybe, unlike 1918, which is likely to have started with and was largely spread by Americans, next time it will be one with a name that sounds particularly exotic to Americans, and be associated with a place that seems mysterious to some of them, or maybe not.

But here's the thing: Is there any particular reason to think this is likely to be one? I'm not aware of any such reason. As opposed to all the other strains of viruses and bacterial illnesses? You know, like a form of some of the more easily transmissible ones that routinely sicken millions and lead to the deaths of thousands every year? Because this seems like a particularly unlikely candidate for that, unless one assumes that it will soon radically and rather suddenly change form into something fundamentally different than what it is and has always been throughout all the decades of its existence, among other things by becoming airborne.

Until I hear a good reason I'll continue to be more concerned with the more prosaic sounding stuff like influenza and tuberculosis, and will refrain from slurping vomit and scrubbing corpses for the usual reasons.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2014 at 6:25:17 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

rather suddenly change form into something fundamentally different than what it is and has always been throughout all the decades of its existence, among other things by becoming airborne.

My understanding is it has as much chance
of becoming airborne as AIDS does. Next
to none.
Keyser
Keyser
October 10th, 2014 at 6:32:51 PM permalink

to none.

There's a big big difference between the two. When someone with AIDS sneezes in the same room, you don't worry about catching AIDS. However, you can catch Ebola that way. Furthermore, I don't worry about setting in a cab or airline seat after someone with AIDS has sat there. However, Ebola, no way!!!

Ebola can travel in mucous and infectious particles do remain in the air after sneezing. You don't want someone with Ebola even farting in the same room. This is why they quarantine people that have been infected with Ebola, and don't quarantine people that have been infected with AIDS.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 10th, 2014 at 7:13:07 PM permalink

to none.

I walk in the house and the door is thirty feet from the crock pot. My goodness does that corn beef and cabbage smell good. It instantly causes my glands to salivate.

The fact that I can smell that means that I have taken particles from that cooking which have "aerosolized" ttps://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?type=avastbcl&hspart=avast&hsimp=yhs-001&p=aerosolized. into my nose and nasal passages.

How do you think all the medical staff [87?] with cdc best practices caught and died from ebola?
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2014 at 7:40:36 PM permalink
CDC says it's not airborne.
Keyser
Keyser
October 10th, 2014 at 7:50:29 PM permalink
"The CDC also explains a person may contract Ebola if he or she “spends a long amount of time within three feet (one meter) of a person who is sick with Ebola.”

Recommended precautions to avoid contracting Ebola “includes wearing a mask over your mouth and nose, waterproof gloves, a gown (to protect clothing), and eye protection (goggles or a face shield – corrective glasses are not enough).”

If someone with Ebola sneezes near you then you can contract it. The CDC is warning people to avoid public transportation in affected countries.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 10th, 2014 at 8:53:09 PM permalink

CDC says it's not airborne.

They may be telling you it's not airborne.

Do you see the recommended hazmat gear they are using? They want to avoid panic.

I talked with a dr. yesterday, the hospital today and a police rep two days ago. That's not the story workers especially nurses are getting on the front line.

Good luck to ya Bob, I hope you eat the heck out of Vit. C and keep your immune system healthy.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 10th, 2014 at 9:04:39 PM permalink
Not easy to catch or spread?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-10/public-health-emergency-declared-connecticut-over-ebola-civil-rights-suspended-indef#comments

An Ebola Outbreak Would Be Advantageous For Globalists
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 10/10/2014 - 22:09
It's sad to say with such finality, but a universal fact of existence is that most of the people you meet in this life are fundamentally and functionally ignorant. Entire nations have fallen throughout history because of this terrible weakness... By extension, such ignorance is not just an inherent disease but also an easily exploitable disease. The disease of ignorance leaves us vulnerable to many other plagues, including literal plagues like the Ebola virus. When we take the establishment at its word concerning the threat of Ebola outbreak, we make ourselves vulnerable. When people assume that the worst could never happen to them, history shows us that it inevitably does.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2014 at 9:24:45 PM permalink
I find it odd that in every single fictional movie
and book about modern plague, the gov't lies
through their teeth about what's really happening.
Having been indoctrinated with that all my life,
even though it's fiction, it's hard to take everything
they say as truth when it's really happening.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 13th, 2014 at 7:17:52 AM permalink
It's begun
"What, me worry?"
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 13th, 2014 at 8:13:38 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

It's begun

I remember learning about the flu of 1918. 50 million people died. That was big.

I remember it being referenced when this new weird thing, swine flu, "swept the nation". O worry! O panic! And then like six Americans died.

Then it was avian flu. It's in birds, man! Everywhere! O, Discordia! And then no Americans died.

But SARS, dude! Stay away from Asians and Saudis! Close the air! Don't leave home! And one American died.

And just when you tire of Chicken Little, BAM! H1N1. That one hit home. Bunch of kids from here caught it, they shut down school for a week. A kid died. But I had plans to go fishing, and despite that I can see that very school from the boat launch, I went. Still here. So is almost every single other person who was there, including those infected.

But dude! Malaria! West Nile! Discarded tires will be the ruination of all! Standing water is death! And that year... mosquitoes were still just a camp time pest.

Kinda seems to be a lot of false flags and pumping out unrealized fears...

The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
October 13th, 2014 at 8:45:28 AM permalink
Posted on a lady I went to school with Facebook page (She does epidemiological research at Duke)
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 13th, 2014 at 8:58:37 AM permalink
Quote:

Kinda seems to be a lot of false flags and pumping out unrealized fears...

I don't watch TV news so am unaware of what the pundits are saying: I get news from google and newspapers.

While I don't buy into hysteria, I take this one most seriously.

I hope that your flippant attitude turns out to be justified.
"What, me worry?"
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 13th, 2014 at 9:14:16 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

I don't watch TV news so am unaware of what the pundits are saying: I get news from google and newspapers.

While I don't buy into hysteria, I take this one most seriously.

I hope that your flippant attitude turns out to be justified.

Me neither. My only source of news is from the members of WoV and what my idiot friends link to Facebook. And what I see is appalling.

I remember learning about Ebola in high school, and even as a selfish punk I remember thinking how insanely terrible it was. For the two infected now, absolute horror.

But for the rest of us, it deserves very little attention. I guess I'm just sick of the hype and the fear mongering, sick of the misinformation guiding our courses.

I see it as America pitched in to help yet again, and some of our own died yet again. Same as people getting infected helping during tsunami, same as soldiers getting killed freeing Iraqis, same as a lot of different cases throughout our history. But somehow it's this that will be the end times, and Thanks, Obama, and how can we spin this to control the populace and gain political control.

I suppose I grow ever closer to the Battle for Bir Tawil (DT reference =p)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 13th, 2014 at 10:07:34 AM permalink
The health system has to react like it does. It's like getting the first roach in your new home.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 13th, 2014 at 10:12:43 AM permalink
Quote: ncfatcat

Posted on a lady I went to school with Facebook page (She does epidemiological research at Duke)
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola

That blog corresponds exactly to my concerns about Ebola. Not time to panic. But serious concern, yes. Strict adherence to isolation, yes. Err on the side of quarantine and assume infection rather than figure it's too hard to transmit, yes. When the RO is equal to or less than 1, then move on. But now, another person in health care who was taking precautions is infected. Was he her only patient all that time? Probably not. So another incubation period to get thru.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
petroglyph
petroglyph
October 13th, 2014 at 1:02:50 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Quote: ncfatcat

That blog corresponds exactly to my concerns about Ebola. Not time to panic. But serious concern, yes. Strict adherence to isolation, yes. Err on the side of quarantine and assume infection rather than figure it's too hard to transmit, yes. When the RO is equal to or less than 1, then move on. But now, another person in health care who was taking precautions is infected. Was he her only patient all that time? Probably not. So another incubation period to get thru.

It seems the cdc has changed their story again.

Its not easy to transmit but "they" have it under control.

Which, begs the question if they can control ebola then why not mrsa?

"nurses are receiving memos, not training"
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 13th, 2014 at 2:13:45 PM permalink
You can safely assume that it they're admitting
2 cases are here, they know of a dozen more
and are suspecting a couple more dozen they
don't know about yet. Or more.
  • Jump to: