RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
October 4th, 2014 at 5:34:04 AM permalink
Quote: Sonuvabish

Okay, so if the incubation period is 21 days, that means the person gets sick on day 22. All this article definitively says is the person may or may not be infectious starting on day 21. Note the use of indefinite language like 'can'. Polarized ideology and ignoring facts is a symptom of watching Fox News. Fortunately, this disease is not contagious.

Obviously, you are so biased against Fox News that you just say anything you feel like about them. That is your right but you are wrong. I have listened to, read, and watched, coverage of this "outbreak" of Ebola on many different outlets and Fox News is the least hysterical about it.

Listening to the news 24 hours a day, on Fox or any channel, is a bad thing. They ALL have too much time to fill and sensationalize many things. I know everyone wants to take a poke at #1, but Fox is not any better or any worse than anyone else...they all pretty much speak from a point of view rather than impartially.

This whole deal with Ebola in the US required a lot of stupidity to get this point--no one seemed to notice quickly enough that the gentleman had been in the area and could have come in contact with the virus when he first was sick. That is fairly simple to deal with and most health care professionals will quickly begin asking about travel as routine.

The other thing is the mortality rate--it seems that the disease can be treated much better here than in other places; it is possible the mortality rate would drop 50% or more for people contracting in the US. Still high enough to be a deadly disease, but not a death sentence as it is in third world countries.

...of course, perhaps panic and resupplying my stock to live off the grid is necessary...
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
October 10th, 2014 at 2:54:36 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

Obviously, you are so biased against Fox News that you just say anything you feel like about them. That is your right but you are wrong. I have listened to, read, and watched, coverage of this "outbreak" of Ebola on many different outlets and Fox News is the least hysterical about it.

Listening to the news 24 hours a day, on Fox or any channel, is a bad thing. They ALL have too much time to fill and sensationalize many things. I know everyone wants to take a poke at #1, but Fox is not any better or any worse than anyone else...they all pretty much speak from a point of view rather than impartially.

This whole deal with Ebola in the US required a lot of stupidity to get this point--no one seemed to notice quickly enough that the gentleman had been in the area and could have come in contact with the virus when he first was sick. That is fairly simple to deal with and most health care professionals will quickly begin asking about travel as routine.

The other thing is the mortality rate--it seems that the disease can be treated much better here than in other places; it is possible the mortality rate would drop 50% or more for people contracting in the US. Still high enough to be a deadly disease, but not a death sentence as it is in third world countries.

...of course, perhaps panic and resupplying my stock to live off the grid is necessary...

You might be right about Ebola coverage, I have no idea because I'm not watching it. But Fox is the worst. They are the most inaccurate news source available. There have been studies pointing this out. They are also the reason why other news channels lost integrity. Fox is more entertainment for geriatrics than it is news. And since news is boring, guess what, people stopped watching the news and watched Fox! So the actual news had to compete by imitating, to some degree, Fox. So now news is on 24 hours a day, instead of 1 (there used to be just CNN, 24 hours of boring, now it's 24 hours of stupid and boring) Now there's no news at all, instead of 1 hour of news. Yes, I hate Fox, because they take extremist nut-job viewpoints on everything. Regardless of who is covering this with the most fervor, it's Fox's fault for creating the 24 hour news cycle of no-news. THIS JUST IN, FOX SPECIAL REPORT: THE GOVERNMENT IS TRYING TO TAKE YOUR GUNS! THIS IS A VIOLATION OF THE 2ND AMENDMENT! CONTACT YOUR SENATOR IMMEDIATELY! In other news: Muslims should not be allowed freedom of speech.
RonC
RonC
October 10th, 2014 at 3:31:50 PM permalink

They are also the reason why other news channels lost integrity.

I'm sorry, but that statement is a crock of crap. IF one were to say Fox did all kinds of bad things (which you pretty much did), there is no rule making others do the same things. If someone has "lost integrity" it is because, well, they stopped having integrity. It is not somehow because of Fox....
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 10th, 2014 at 3:33:14 PM permalink
Fox is by far the best news channel, and they have the best journalists.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 10th, 2014 at 3:45:49 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Fox cannibalizes the best people from the
other networks. Fox doesn't care if you
lean left or right, as long as you're good
at it.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 10th, 2014 at 3:53:34 PM permalink

I'm sorry, but that statement is a crock of crap. IF one were to say Fox did all kinds of bad things (which you pretty much did), there is no rule making others do the same things. If someone has "lost integrity" it is because, well, they stopped having integrity. It is not somehow because of Fox....

The rule is nobody wants their ratings to continue tanking, and they were. It is because of Fox. Do you think everyone woke up one day, the same exact day, and said hey let's run the news 24 hours, and lighten up a bit? If you watch Fox, you're old. I don't even know you. You're old. And republican or someone who pretends they're independent. You have opinions you did not have 10 years ago; it's not because Fox told you what to think, it's because you're so much wiser now. Last year, there was literally a 1/3 chance you thought Obama was born in Kenya; and if you fall into that category, an 80% chance you were unaware the Constitution forbids this and there is no loophole; there was a 20% chance you thought it was a conspiracy. I must be psychic.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
Thanked by
MichaelBluejay
October 10th, 2014 at 3:59:47 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

And that's why I watched Fox the night Obama got reelected.
I wanted to see how the best news channel would report this important news.
Yea , putting a blubbering Karl Rove up front and center to give us the news that Obama didn't win yet when Foxnews reported that Obama won.
Great journalism reporting that all the polls were wrong and skewed until the results are in which showed Nate Silver right on the money.
Just because you don't like the results of a poll doesn't make it skewed, unless you are a Fox journalist.
Great journalism lol.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 10th, 2014 at 4:02:14 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Yea , putting a blubbering Karl Rove up front and center to give us the news that Obama didn't win yet when Foxnews reported that Obama won.
Great journalism reporting that all the polls were wrong and skewed until the results are in which showed Nate Silver right on the money.
Just because you don't like the results of a poll doesn't make it skewed, unless you are a Fox journalist.
Great journalism lol.

+200
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
October 10th, 2014 at 4:03:05 PM permalink

You might be right about Ebola coverage, I have no idea because I'm not watching it. But Fox is the worst. They are the most inaccurate news source available. There have been studies pointing this out. They are also the reason why other news channels lost integrity. Fox is more entertainment for geriatrics than it is news. And since news is boring, guess what, people stopped watching the news and watched Fox! So the actual news had to compete by imitating, to some degree, Fox. So now news is on 24 hours a day, instead of 1 (there used to be just CNN, 24 hours of boring, now it's 24 hours of stupid and boring) Now there's no news at all, instead of 1 hour of news. Yes, I hate Fox, because they take extremist nut-job viewpoints on everything. Regardless of who is covering this with the most fervor, it's Fox's fault for creating the 24 hour news cycle of no-news. THIS JUST IN, FOX SPECIAL REPORT: THE GOVERNMENT IS TRYING TO TAKE YOUR GUNS! THIS IS A VIOLATION OF THE 2ND AMENDMENT! CONTACT YOUR SENATOR IMMEDIATELY! In other news: Muslims should not be allowed freedom of speech.

Hey son, that is one heck of a fine post there! plus,plus good

This isn't even arguing against the other mind control portals. My prior inlaw did the 24/7 route, it was grating to visit. I think it is some form of companionship for those that aren't posting on the web.

It's infotainment. Have you ever kinda shook awake and found you actually had on some sales channel and not the news?
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 10th, 2014 at 4:10:34 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Hey son, that is one heck of a fine post there! plus,plus good

This isn't even arguing against the other mind control portals. My prior inlaw did the 24/7 route, it was grating to visit. I think it is some form of companionship for those that aren't posting on the web.

It's infotainment. Have you ever kinda shook awake and found you actually had on some sales channel and not the news?

Thank you. I canceled my cable not so long ago. It's all garbage, especially stuff like FOX news. If I wanna watch something, I do it the old-fashioned way. Illegal stream. I'm a taker. Not of million dollar tax breaks...just a fox news term for middle class people who should feel bad if they don't vote in the interests of the richest people on earth, and against their own interests.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
October 10th, 2014 at 4:34:13 PM permalink

Now there's no news at all, instead of 1 hour of news. Yes, I hate Fox, because they take extremist nut-job viewpoints on everything.

A clear statement about not being familiar in any fashion with "Special Report" or most other straight and factual pure news programs on the FNC. Opposed, of course, as to the sober, measured and impartial rantings on the likes of MSNBC and CNN.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2014 at 4:45:36 PM permalink

Thank you. I canceled my cable not so long ago. It's all garbage, especially stuff like FOX news. .

LOL! Low info voters don't need no
stinking news anyway..
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 10th, 2014 at 4:46:53 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

A clear statement about not being familiar in any fashion with "Special Report" or most other straight and factual pure news programs on the FNC. Opposed, of course, as to the sober, measured and impartial rantings on the likes of MSNBC and CNN.

They aren't good either, not anymore, because they emulate FOX to get viewers. But no one has perfected the art of inaccurate and biased "news" reporting like FOX, not even close. If someone disagrees with their nutcase viewpoint, they cut them short; and sometimes issue fake apologies for the person! That's called MAKING NEWS UP OUT OF THIN AIR! Who the #@$# would put Glenn Beck on their network? Oh right, FOX news did that. I remember flipping thru the channels one day, and there's a guy in front of a bunch of people, crying. I couldn't stop watching because of how stupid it was. And who the hell was George Soros, I wondered. Then I turned it and forgot about it, until a few weeks later, every pundit is making fun of that guy I saw. Didn't even know it was FOX I had watched. I thought it was the Bible channel. Only a complete moron would find this stuff believable or credible. If someone finds it entertaining, well, great I guess.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
October 10th, 2014 at 5:01:10 PM permalink

Oh right, FOX news did that.

Oh wrong. CNN did that. First.

Do you simply make up stuff randomly? So far not one thing I've seen you spray paint in your frothing at the mouth political manifestos is actually true. Not one thing. Not one. Ever.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 10th, 2014 at 5:08:49 PM permalink
Quote: DrawingDead

Oh wrong. CNN did that. First.

Do you simply make up stuff randomly? Not one thing you spray paint in your political manifestos is actually true. Not one thing. Not one. Ever.

I do not know anything about him being with CNN. Why do you think that is? Maybe because CNN didn't allow him to spew his insane rhetoric on the air waves? And FOX did? At CNN, perhaps possibly he was a regular newsperson, and at FOX, he was a nutjob? I'm sorry, let me rephrase the statement. Who the #$#@ puts a nutjob on the air? Oh, right, FOX. Because FOX doesn't offer real news. Did he routinely cry at CNN? Did he routinely talk about following Jesus at CNN? Did he talk about joining Beck online college at CNN? Did he talk about buying gold at CNN? Did he spout conspiracy theories at CNN? Is any of that news? There's nothing political about disliking a fraudulent news organization that caters to geriatrics' love of racism and jesus.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 10th, 2014 at 5:17:00 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

LOL! Low info voters don't need no
stinking news anyway..

I don't vote, waste of my time. I already know you watch Fox. You're definitely old. If anyone thinks their individual vote counts, they are a little too idealistic. What do high info voters do---lay on the couch watching Fox news? OK BOB you got me!
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 10th, 2014 at 5:17:50 PM permalink

I'm sorry, but that statement everything you've written in this thread is a crock of crap.

This.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
October 10th, 2014 at 5:21:13 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I'm sorry, but that statement everything you've written in this thread is a crock of crap.

This.

Alright, go watch your FOX news then. I'm not stopping anybody. Didn't Bob Evens start this by saying something so inaccurate that it probably came from Fox news? I don't wanna argue with 50 people by myself. Anyone halfway intelligent knows a whole lot of other people think Fox is a joke.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 10th, 2014 at 5:41:04 PM permalink

This.

Alright, go watch your FOX news then. I'm not stopping anybody. Didn't Bob Evens start this by saying something so inaccurate that it probably came from Fox news? I don't wanna argue with 50 people by myself. Anyone halfway intelligent knows a whole lot of other people think Fox is a joke.

No its not a joke...It's a BUSINESS, like all other news networks and TV channels. They make MONEY by selling ads. And how do they get more for the ads??? They get more viewers. Fox has done a better job of getting more viewers than MSNBC and CNN, but all have found a way to make money. Fox has more ratings because the country is a mess and people are looking for answers they cant get from network news.

Do you really think any network that cared about non biased reporting would hire Al Sharpton?
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2014 at 5:41:58 PM permalink

I don't vote

Why would you.
FunkyDoctor
FunkyDoctor
  • Threads: 10
October 10th, 2014 at 5:46:53 PM permalink
Fox News is the best...cuz they got the hottest chicks!!! Watch it with the sound off. It's much more enjoyable that way.

And what's with that Rachel Maddow on MSNBC? Why would they go with a combat boot wearing lesbian for their on-air talent when they could have gone with the lipstick variety instead? Just can't bring myself to watch that. :D
terapined
terapined
October 10th, 2014 at 6:32:30 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

This.

No its not a joke...It's a BUSINESS, like all other news networks and TV channels. They make MONEY by selling ads. And how do they get more for the ads??? They get more viewers. Fox has done a better job of getting more viewers than MSNBC and CNN, but all have found a way to make money. Fox has more ratings because the country is a mess and people are looking for answers they cant get from network news.

Do you really think any network that cared about non biased reporting would hire Al Sharpton?

It is all about money. Fox is in a position where they cant report the news honestly. They cater to the Obama haters. If they report the news honestly, Obama haters will not watch. If they report the news slanted against Obama, ratings go up.

Al Sharpton disgusts me. Will not watch that crap on MSNBC, its right up there with the crap on Fox
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 10th, 2014 at 6:55:38 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Al Sharpton an MSNBC. George Snuffulupagus at ABC. Dan Rather for years at CBS. So when something unbiased like Bill O comes on FNC the left-wing types say it must be biased.

The discussion of Sonuvabish and his opinion of FNC reminds me of Detroit's reaction to Toyota in the 70s and 80s. The automakers just claimed it was an import, didn't take it seriously, tried to use patriotism to lure people. But Toyota built itself to #1 in the world by steadily building better cars that people wanted. With the other imports they shrank the once-big-3 to a share less that GM alone had in 1980 by the mid-2000s.

FNC came out in what, 1996? Liberals have attacked it at every turn. Obama seems to like having his own little war on it. And the left-wingers go crazy because FNC just builds a bigger and bigger audience. They are lately ahead of everything on cable. So by left-wingnut logic the biggest viewership on cable is all kooks.

Let them keep attacking it. Eventually one of the networks will get out of the news biz. Just going to say the time has come and gone. Or you might see a network buy CNN or just partner with them, outsourcing news operations. Like the aforesaid automakers, the other news orgs will keep denying the problem. Obviously there is a limit that FNC will hit, but the others will for the near future keep fighting over the "what's left of the pie" while FNC dominates.

Something will have to give, the big-boys have too high of fixed costs to be so far behind.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
terapined
terapined
October 10th, 2014 at 7:02:29 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Al Sharpton an MSNBC. George Snuffulupagus at ABC. Dan Rather for years at CBS. So when something unbiased like Bill O comes on FNC the left-wing types say it must be biased.

The discussion of Sonuvabish and his opinion of FNC reminds me of Detroit's reaction to Toyota in the 70s and 80s. The automakers just claimed it was an import, didn't take it seriously, tried to use patriotism to lure people. But Toyota built itself to #1 in the world by steadily building better cars that people wanted. With the other imports they shrank the once-big-3 to a share less that GM alone had in 1980 by the mid-2000s.

FNC came out in what, 1996? Liberals have attacked it at every turn. Obama seems to like having his own little war on it. And the left-wingers go crazy because FNC just builds a bigger and bigger audience. They are lately ahead of everything on cable. So by left-wingnut logic the biggest viewership on cable is all kooks.

Let them keep attacking it. Eventually one of the networks will get out of the news biz. Just going to say the time has come and gone. Or you might see a network buy CNN or just partner with them, outsourcing news operations. Like the aforesaid automakers, the other news orgs will keep denying the problem. Obviously there is a limit that FNC will hit, but the others will for the near future keep fighting over the "what's left of the pie" while FNC dominates.

Something will have to give, the big-boys have too high of fixed costs to be so far behind.

I see news crap on the left. I see news crap on the right.
Problem is you are blind to the crap on the right.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2014 at 7:45:46 PM permalink
double
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 10th, 2014 at 7:45:47 PM permalink

It is all about money. Fox is in a position where they cant report the news honestly. They cater to the Obama haters.

Not on the FoxNews I watch. You must be watching
the FauxFoxnews Daily Kos puts on to fool the
gullible and the twitchy. lol
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
October 10th, 2014 at 9:43:23 PM permalink

Great journalism lol.

You have to remember that Karl Rove is a partisan. His activities on Fox News were cut way back for a long time by Roger Ailes because of his bad predictions in the 2012 Presidential election. But it was Dick Morris who really bit the bullet. Roger Ailes eliminated him completely off of Fox News because of his all the way to the last minute prediction of a big Romney win. He is just now slowly reappearing but only on Hannity.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
RouletteProdigy
RouletteProdigy
  • Threads: 3
October 10th, 2014 at 11:04:51 PM permalink
"Who the #@$# would put Glenn Beck on their network? Oh right, FOX news did that."

CNN had him before Fox.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 10th, 2014 at 11:07:08 PM permalink
somebody please move this to DT where it belongs. Does it ever !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
October 10th, 2014 at 11:10:35 PM permalink
Quote: RouletteProdigy

"Who the #@$# would put Glenn Beck on their network? Oh right, FOX news did that." CNN had him before Fox.

Glenn Beck started losing me with his bashing of Teddy Roosevelt's policies. When he went to rehabilitating Joseph McCarthy was the straw that broke the camel's back. I couldn't watch him after that.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 12:14:05 AM permalink
Beck is a certifiable nut job. He's
what they used to call a crackpot.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 11th, 2014 at 12:20:31 AM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

No, but I do agree on the infotainment aspects. Ever since the major networks started putting The News under the Entertainment budget, the product started declining.

Each time the Network news trucks for 48 Hours or Dateline rolled into Columbia, MO to deal with the continuing developments in the Charles Ferguson Case (young college kid doing 40 years because someone else dreamed he committed a murder), I wrote to the Columbia School of Journalism: this is your hometown... the networks showing up to do a story means YOU missed it once again.

People seem to only want infotainment; journalism schools are only churning out infotainers: all full of fluff and delivery style and hair style darn little knowledge about how to do anything but take public relations handouts and read them on air with a straight face and bubbly manner.
RonC
RonC
October 11th, 2014 at 6:07:32 AM permalink

The rule is nobody wants their ratings to continue tanking, and they were. It is because of Fox. Do you think everyone woke up one day, the same exact day, and said hey let's run the news 24 hours, and lighten up a bit?

I know--come up with your own idea, figure out how to gain an audience, and don't follow the leader everywhere--be the leader... Sign interesting commentators instead of the Al Sharton-types. Find some that worked their way up from small stations on radio to large stations. Take on your own side when necessary. I've heard some very good liberal commentators along the way on news radio stations; they never have pulled the ratings in like the conservatives and they have not translated well into television. of course, Limbaugh didn't really translate well into television, either.

If you watch Fox, you're old.

...and so are the people that watch other cable outlets:

"It's satisfying for liberals to call Fox News "a retirement community," and, surely, it is. But the entire cable news industry relies on building a product for ages 60 and up. MSNBC isn't exactly a nursery."

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/half-of-fox-news-viewers-are-68-and-older/283385/

I don't even know you. You're old.

Is being between 50 and 55 old?

And republican or someone who pretends they're independent. You have opinions you did not have 10 years ago; it's not because Fox told you what to think, it's because you're so much wiser now.

I don't pretend--I am a Republican. My opinions are not straight along party lines and the changes in them have not followed what you assume they follow--for example, I've become ambivalent about the death penalty because the people that end up suffering the punishment end up getting more publicity than their victims, who get lost in the process. I say lock them away, toss the key, and let them serve as long as they live. It also costs less to do that. Yet some statistics say that frying them does reduce the murder rate...

Last year, there was literally a 1/3 chance you thought Obama was born in Kenya; and if you fall into that category, an 80% chance you were unaware the Constitution forbids this and there is no loophole; there was a 20% chance you thought it was a conspiracy. I must be psychic.

Okay, I am not sure what hat you pulled your "1/3 chance" out of...perhaps you can actually find some unbiased facts to back it up.

Me? I think that whole distraction was a waste of time. The same as the 9/11 Truthers, the Katrina levee bombers, etc. I cringe when I see stories like that because they keep us away from the real issues.
RonC
RonC
October 11th, 2014 at 6:12:03 AM permalink

Beck is a certifiable nut job. He's
what they used to call a crackpot.

It is funny how folks here jumped in and blamed Fox for having him on when he was on CNN for almost as long as Fox...and before Fox.

Those horrible folks at Fox canned him in spite of high ratings...
RonC
RonC
October 11th, 2014 at 6:14:42 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

somebody please move this to DT where it belongs. Does it ever !

No one even knows how to get to "Dead Thread" any more with the links gone...it'll be the same half dozen of us over there as always...well, as long as our computers remember were it is...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 11th, 2014 at 6:36:36 AM permalink

I know--come up with your own idea, figure out how to gain an audience, and don't follow the leader everywhere--be the leader... Sign interesting commentators instead of the Al Sharton-types. Find some that worked their way up from small stations on radio to large stations. Take on your own side when necessary. I've heard some very good liberal commentators along the way on news radio stations; they never have pulled the ratings in like the conservatives and they have not translated well into television. of course, Limbaugh didn't really translate well into television, either.

Limbaugh says from time to time that he never really liked doing TV. Says TV is too regimented and scripted whereas on radio you have more freedom, one example being radio commercial breaks are a bit more movable if the show is really moving. He also loves being able to verbally draw the picture for the audience, which is not needed on TV. It matters not because he has been tops on radio for over 20 years and is arguably one of if not the top force in shaping what radio talk is today.

Liberal radio and news always comes up short for two reasons IMHO. First is they do not bring players up from the "farm system." They almost always want to sign someone famous in their own right and "train them to do radio or TV." Similar to a baseball team who will sign a guy who can run fast because they can teach them to hit, but you cannot teach a hitter to run faster.

So you get a Sharpton and give him a show. But he does not know how to attract and build audience. He never worked at a small town radio station at a dead time and had to use his own personality to build a show. He never had to deal with bad callers who got on the air because only 1-2 people were calling in. He never had to do his own show prep. He doesn't know how to deal with haters who listen. He is used to having a mike and making short-form talking points. Meanwhile the Limbaughs, Hannitys, and Ingrahams of the world did work up the industry. They know how a show is built and while their shows are from the same side of the aisle, each is a different focus and format. For example, Hannity has more guests than Limbaugh. If Hannity just was another Limbaugh people would tune out because after 3 hours they do not need to hear another 3.

Second reason is the Liberals just do not seem to build their case the same as conservatives but rather react to what the conservatives are saying. They have no message. And they are more political. Limbaugh is about 65% on politics but he also talks about other things, Apple products and the NFL to name two. He will of course bring his views into play, as he is on femminization destroying the NFL lately. But he does not harp on one subject over and over.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 11th, 2014 at 11:40:18 AM permalink

No one even knows how to get to "Dead Thread" any more with the links gone...it'll be the same half dozen of us over there as always...well, as long as our computers remember were it is...

There's a link to DT from the Suspension List, aka the hall of shame. Now watch it disappear.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 12:12:36 PM permalink

Those horrible folks at Fox canned him in spite of high ratings...

That's what's so funny. When it became
clear that Beck actually was a the right
wing nutjob that the Left is always accusing
Fox of being, despite Beck's high ratings
they got rid of him. They don't want to be
seen as condoning people like Beck, because
they don't.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 12:29:51 PM permalink

Liberal radio and news always comes up short for two reasons IMHO. First is they do not bring players up from the "farm system." They almost always want to sign someone famous in their own right... .

The best example of this was Airhead America Radio. They
brought in two people, Al Franken and Janine Garofalo,
who had never seen a radio studio in their lives. The idea
was to prove that anybody could do this, just so they
were staunch politico's.

What a colossal failure it was. Listening to just an hour of
either of these pinheads was like listening to frat boys at
a beer bash. Childish sarcasm was 90% of both their shows.
The Left knows how to be critical and tear down, they have
no ideas how to be constructive. It never made a profit,
never had an audience and was on life support from day 1.

"Limbaugh is about 65% on politics but he also talks about other things"

Rush has been on the radio since high school,
he could read the phone book and make it sound
interesting. His biggest asset besides a killer radio
personality, is his giant IQ's ability to immediately
see 4 sides of everything and put it all together
and have it come out of his mouth on live air.

Franken and Garofalo had none of this, that's why
their shows were repetitive and painful to hear.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
October 11th, 2014 at 12:36:15 PM permalink

they don't.

Becks show sold a lot of Gold. Once he started dumping on American heroes like Teddy Roosevelt and making a hero out of Joseph McCarthy no one else would buy advertising for his show. And I think Gold was up in the $1500 and $1600 when he was there. Now it's down in the $1300, I think, which means the investment hasn't paid off for those who bought it. I think it was the advertisers for the other Fox News programs that did Beck in. They didn't want to be associated in any way with a right wing loon. Bill O'Reilly rails against both right wing and left wing loons, but he let Beck off the hook. One of O'Reilly's bits of hypocrisy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 12:39:05 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

They didn't want to be associated in any way with a right wing loon. .

Beck's problem was he was a rabblerouser.
He cried fire in a crowded theatre. Every
show was doom and gloom, the end times
are here. It got very depressing after awhile.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
October 11th, 2014 at 12:42:19 PM permalink
I once caught Bill O'Reilly in a mistake in the Trivia segment he used to have once a week. He asked the question "In the movie 'The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly', who was the Ugly?" He named Lee Van Cleef as the Ugly. Every Good, Bad, Ugly fan knows that ain't right. I went to his site to inform him of his mistake but the site tried to make me jump through a bunch of hoops, sign up for this, sign up for that, to get to inform him. So I said the hell with it, let him continue to be wrong.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 12:45:01 PM permalink

I once caught Bill O'Reilly in a mistake in the Trivia segment he used to have once a week. He asked the question "In the movie 'The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly', who was the Ugly?" He named Lee Van Cleef as the Ugly. Every Good, Bad, Ugly fan knows that ain't right. I went to his site to inform him of his mistake but the site tried to make me jump through a bunch of hoops, sign up for this, sign up for that, to get to inform him. So I said the hell with it, let him continue to be wrong.

I remember that, he corrected it after a break.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 11th, 2014 at 12:54:47 PM permalink

they don't.

Beck had killer ratings. They dumped him and replaced him with "The Five" which promptly got even higher ratings. Nobody can say "The Five" in slanted to the right, they have hosts from both sides and all of them have input.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
October 11th, 2014 at 12:58:20 PM permalink

Beck had killer ratings. They dumped him and replaced him with "The Five" which promptly got even higher ratings. Nobody can say "The Five" in slanted to the right, they have hosts from both sides and all of them have input.

I think what might not be known by the liberal left that refuses to watch FNC is they actually have an impressive lineup of liberal debaters, Bob Beckel, Kirsten Powers, Alan Colmes, James Carville, Geraldo Rivera, Juan Williams. Even Hannity has liberal debaters on his show.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 1:01:41 PM permalink

Beck had killer ratings. They dumped him and replaced him with "The Five" which promptly got even higher ratings. .

Beckel is 20 years older than everybody
on that show except Gutfeld, who just
turned 50. The amount of talent on The
Five is amazing. Each one of those people
is stand alone in the industry, to put them
in a group was a brilliant idea.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 1:03:24 PM permalink

I think what might not be known by the liberal left that refuses to watch FNC is they actually have an impressive lineup of liberal debaters, Bob Beckel, Kirsten Powers, Alan Colmes, James Carville, Geraldo Rivera, Juan Williams. Even Hannity has liberal debaters on his show.

Don't forget Shep Smith and Greta. They are
both very Liberal, they just don't let it show
as much as some of the others.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 11th, 2014 at 1:03:40 PM permalink

Rush has been on the radio since high school,
he could read the phone book and make it sound
interesting. His biggest asset besides a killer radio
personality, is his giant IQ's ability to immediately
see 4 sides of everything and put it all together
and have it come out of his mouth on live air.

Franken and Garofalo had none of this, that's why
their shows were repetitive and painful to hear.

In his usual making the complex seem simple, Limbaugh explained it in about 10 seconds. He said any station can play any format and any songs within that format. As a DJ you have to make them want to listen to you for you. And you have to do it in little time between songs. Clearly, he did it.

I still remember on "Air America" when they made the news over a sketch of some guy shooting Bush. The Secret Service paid them a visit, which was standard procedure. The thing was not if it was in good or bad taste, but it was not clever or funny. It was so boring I don't even remember anything but some meaningless dialogue then the guy says "take that" (or something) then shooting. No wonder it died.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 11th, 2014 at 1:10:44 PM permalink

but it was not clever or funny. It was so boring.

Every show Franken or Garafolo did was boring.
They didn't know how to be clever, just snarky
and condescending. Like I said, Ivy League frat
boy humor.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 11th, 2014 at 1:37:03 PM permalink

Don't forget Shep Smith and Greta. They are
both very Liberal, they just don't let it show
as much as some of the others.