Thread Rating:

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
April 30th, 2018 at 4:33:54 PM permalink
I've gained 5 lbs. and my arteries are closing up - just by reading the last 20 posts. If only she were alive today, Agatha Christie would have written a murder novel called "Death By Fast Food."
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
April 30th, 2018 at 4:53:05 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

are closing up

Bon appetit.

Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
Keeneone
Keeneone
  • Threads: 21
April 30th, 2018 at 8:24:15 PM permalink
Lots of talk about the beef, but little discussion about the buns.

Cheeburger Cheeburger make a good burger. But it is not really fast food or particularly cheap.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
April 30th, 2018 at 8:34:07 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

when it comes to burgers nothing beats if you have the time and patience to cook them yourself. pretty inexpensive too.

you can control every aspect of it. i.e. a lot of burger places won't cook you anything other than well done. but there's lots of other reasons they're better if you cook them yourself.

Yea I agree, it’s super easy too.

I do 80/20 ground beef and mix it with some ground lamb if I am really feeling fancy.

Season the meat with Seasoned Salt (aka season-all) and some pepper, form into patties, and you are good to go.

Although I like my steak bleeding red, I like burgers medium-medium well. Little to no pink. Just my personal preference with ground beef ... I think the texture is too mushy when it’s not done well enough.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
May 1st, 2018 at 4:01:53 AM permalink
Shake Shack is coming soon to walking distance from me.

I've never had them but lots of reviews say they're the best in retail burgers.
Please don't feed the trolls
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 1st, 2018 at 4:34:12 AM permalink
a few days ago I pulled off The Perfect Crime (by accident)

only netted a few bucks but still

I did the self serve cashier at my local grocery

I bought 4 lbs. of potatoes

when I got home and looked at the receipt I realized I had punched in the russet potatoes when I actually bought the white potatoes

the russett potatoes are $.99 per lb. and the white potatoes are $2.99 per lb. I went +EV by about $8.00.

so I'm thinking what if you did that on purpose

what is the chance the clerk watching 6 different self serve registers would catch that? slim and none.

and even if they caught it what could they possible say if you claimed it was an innocent mistake? they could say nothing.

unfortunately, my ethics prohibits me from doing this intentionally
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
May 1st, 2018 at 4:56:58 AM permalink

when I got home and looked at the receipt I realized I had punched in the russet potatoes when I actually bought the white potatoes

the russett potatoes are $.99 per lb. and the white potatoes are $2.99 per lb. I went +EV by about $8.00.

what is the chance the clerk watching 6 different self serve registers would catch that? slim and none.

and even if they caught it what could they possible say if you claimed it was an innocent mistake? they could say nothing.

One of my local stores took out their self checkout isles for exactly that reason.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 1st, 2018 at 9:38:42 AM permalink

I get mad to this day I double charged myself for garlic powder a decade ago or more and another time paid for a movie and didn't have it when I got home. It burns.
I am a robot.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
May 1st, 2018 at 10:21:12 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

We should meet up. I live in Henderson. Only have met two comic collectors out here and both collect the Distinguished Competition. I mostly deal in pre 1976 Marvels, or Schomburg Golden Age stuff.

I have a Marvel Conan the Barbarian #1 that's in pretty crappy condition. It's intact, no major tears, just very, very worn. Is it worth it for any reason to send it off to do that CGC thing were they seal it in a box? Honestly I think it would rate like a 1 or 1.5. And I hear they do some minor restorations as well?

I'm not trying to sell it, and I don't care what it's worth... I'm mainly interested in preservation.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 1st, 2018 at 1:13:23 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I have a Marvel Conan the Barbarian #1 that's in pretty crappy condition. It's intact, no major tears, just very, very worn. Is it worth it for any reason to send it off to do that CGC thing were they seal it in a box? Honestly I think it would rate like a 1 or 1.5. And I hear they do some minor restorations as well?

I'm not trying to sell it, and I don't care what it's worth... I'm mainly interested in preservation.

If you pay for shipping, I will send you a previously opened CGC slab so you can encase it yourself. It will give you 95% of the protection at a tenth the cost.
It's probably not worth getting restored. A 9.4 CGC Conan 1 would run you around $300-400on eBay. Most restoration would run in excess of $300 and you end up with a restored book. $1500 is my cut off for restoration work. If the book won't sell for that, I leave it alone.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Benjiex
Benjiex
  • Threads: 2
May 2nd, 2018 at 6:40:51 PM permalink
I'm reding Chinses light Novel yet I'm an American. Sounds off right? ;)
GlenG
GlenG
  • Threads: 11
May 3rd, 2018 at 4:58:01 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

In your opinion, should a pizza be cut into 6 slices or 8?

Im from St. Louis..we cut ours pizza into squares.

As far as fast food goes, no love for Habit Burger? That place is great
GlenG
GlenG
May 3rd, 2018 at 5:01:32 AM permalink
This is an interesting story...I was kind of excepting the US of A to be the first to do it

UK schools removing analog clocks because students can’t read them

"Students need to be as relaxed as possible in an exam and it adds to their stress if they cannot tell the time, Malcolm Trobe, deputy general secretary at the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL), said."

lol
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
May 3rd, 2018 at 5:12:53 AM permalink

What happened when you went back to repay the accidentally stolen money? (Ethics....)
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
May 3rd, 2018 at 5:40:43 AM permalink
Quote: GlenG

Im from St. Louis..we cut ours pizza into squares.

As far as fast food goes, no love for Habit Burger? That place is great

My takeaway from all of this is that fast food selections suck on the east coast. Never heard of Habit.

And while we are still talking about crap food, I always think it’s funny when a TV/movie tries to show how much someone’s life sucks by showing them depressingly eating a microwave dinner.

Those throngs are in fact depressing and gross.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 3rd, 2018 at 5:54:57 AM permalink
Seaweed salad is so good. I wonder why it is not more mainstream....
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 3rd, 2018 at 6:06:31 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Seaweed salad is so good. I wonder why it is not more mainstream....

For the same reason that grubs which have a better protein profile than steak are not quite so popular.

Various kelps are nutritious, grow rapidly but they are usually very high in iron and therefore not a good diet for males. Ancient people probably migrated via the kelp beds which provided not only kelp but good foraging opportunities.

The most nutritionally dense food is cockroach milk. Try selling that as part of the Western Diet in a nation that eats breakfast cereals because an utter nutcase in Battle Creek, Michigan thought it would fight a male's urge to masturbate.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 3rd, 2018 at 6:13:00 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

The most nutritionally dense food is cockroach milk. Try selling that as part of the Western Diet?

I hate it when the bucket gets kicked over

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
May 3rd, 2018 at 6:42:20 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

an utter nutcase

There's a lot of that going around.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
May 3rd, 2018 at 9:52:33 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

In your opinion, should a pizza be cut into 6 slices or 8?

Depends on how big the pizza is. In fact, those little frozen pizzas are best in 4 pieces.

10-12" should probably be 6.

Anything bigger, 8.
GlenG
GlenG
Thanked by
RogerKint
May 3rd, 2018 at 5:39:52 PM permalink
Saw this at the Golden Knights team store today. They said he'll be picking it up sometime today..I find this pretty cool..Saw him last year at the Wynn

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
May 4th, 2018 at 12:59:48 AM permalink
you know you can buy that jersey ... why would the player be interacting with the store?

what those things go for is outrageous
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
GlenG
GlenG
May 4th, 2018 at 2:24:57 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

you know you can buy that jersey ... why would the player be interacting with the store?

what those things go for is outrageous

John Fogerty. From the band CCR..Hes playing in Vegas this week
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 4th, 2018 at 4:31:32 AM permalink
Gaming Board in wake of Steve Wynn headlines has ordered licensees to develop training and reporting procedures for sexual harassment with usual results of major licensees saying we already have such things and the Culinary Union insisting the regulations apply to guests, particularly high rollers. USNews and World Report even mentioning a 27 year old incident as if it would be on any relevance to today's standards.
Nathan
Nathan 
  • Threads: 66
May 4th, 2018 at 6:49:49 AM permalink
All this time on this board and I just realized that”Unsubscribe” in the top of pages misspelled as ”Unscubscribe,” LOL. ;) :)
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 4th, 2018 at 12:13:20 PM permalink
Wow. I guess it’s true, sometimes a broken clock does find a nut.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 4th, 2018 at 12:24:12 PM permalink
Quote: Nathan

All this time on this board and I just realized that”Unsubscribe” in the top of pages misspelled as ”Unscubscribe,” LOL. ;) :)

lol that is funny. I have never scubscribed to a thread so I never noticed.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 4th, 2018 at 2:26:13 PM permalink
I had to unblock the trump thread to post this but most of us have that blocked so I figured I would put it in here because the commercial made my giggle. The commercial that I saw is on the site on the top.

http://gettrumpybear.com/
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RS
RS
May 4th, 2018 at 8:45:42 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I had to unblock the trump thread to post this but most of us have that blocked so I figured I would put it in here because the commercial made my giggle. The commercial that I saw is on the site on the top.

http://gettrumpybear.com/

This is what you want for Christmas, yes?
Nathan
Nathan 
May 5th, 2018 at 8:27:16 PM permalink
So there was a guy on a dating site that scammed women into buying his restaurant meals for him on blind dates. He would eat expensive dinners and then "Go to the bathroom," or "Leave to make a phone call," and then never return,leaving the women to pay for both of their meals. Luckily in at least one incident the restaurant felt sorry for the scammed woman and just made her pay her own meal and his drink rather than the whole bill. I wonder if a person could face any legal consequences if she only had enough money to pay for what she ate. Let's say I go on a blind date with this creep and both of our dishes are $50 each. I only had exactly $50 on me and had no idea that he was going to eat and then leave me holding the bag, er, bill. Could they get me prosecuted if I had just enough to pay for what I ate? And didn't have the extra $50 to pay for this scamming bum's meal?
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
billryan
billryan
May 5th, 2018 at 9:12:38 PM permalink
If you don't pay for it, the server has to. You, at least, enjoyed half the meal. Your server didn't. Why should he pay? If you can't come up with the cash, expect to be scrubbing pots and dishes for the next few hours.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
May 5th, 2018 at 9:19:58 PM permalink

If you don't pay for it, the server has to. You, at least, enjoyed half the meal. Your server didn't. Why should he pay? If you can't come up with the cash, expect to be scrubbing pots and dishes for the next few hours.

Scrubbing dishes when you can’t pay is a myth. At least in modern day.

You’d have to wash dishes for two days to pay for the average bill at a decent restaurant.

Not to mention the liability the restaurant would be taking to allow such a thing.
Nathan
Nathan 
May 5th, 2018 at 10:24:29 PM permalink

I read that they don't make people who don't have enough money to pay the bill wash dishes due to possible lawsuits if say the guest trips on a soapy floor, inadequate training, and it would take away pay from the actual dishwasher who needs that pay to live.
billryan
billryan
May 5th, 2018 at 10:27:09 PM permalink
If you read it on the internet, it must be true.
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
May 5th, 2018 at 11:07:29 PM permalink
Day For Freedom WhiteHall London May 6, 2018

'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
RS
RS
Thanked by
petroglyph
May 6th, 2018 at 3:27:51 AM permalink

So there was a guy on a dating site that scammed women into buying his restaurant meals for him on blind dates. He would eat expensive dinners and then "Go to the bathroom," or "Leave to make a phone call," and then never return,leaving the women to pay for both of their meals. Luckily in at least one incident the restaurant felt sorry for the scammed woman and just made her pay her own meal and his drink rather than the whole bill. I wonder if a person could face any legal consequences if she only had enough money to pay for what she ate. Let's say I go on a blind date with this creep and both of our dishes are $50 each. I only had exactly $50 on me and had no idea that he was going to eat and then leave me holding the bag, er, bill. Could they get me prosecuted if I had just enough to pay for what I ate? And didn't have the extra $50 to pay for this scamming bum's meal?

From what I've read, it seems like a BUNCH of women go on dates with men with the sole intent of getting a free meal and aren't pursuing any kind of relationship/dating/etc. They just want a free dinner.

Best thing to do is probably something that's not dinner, mostly because you're then locked in to a date that could potentially get pretty weird, since ya don't know the person. Instead do something else where you can dip out easily and normally.

If someone sneaks out during a dinner date, you're probably not going to have an issue if you can't pay for the other person's meal, since the other person isn't paying for their own meal. But then again, I ANAL.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 6th, 2018 at 6:10:54 AM permalink

You would not be responsible for what the other person ordered. Your 'contract' with the restaurant is for what YOU ordered. (IANAL but that's how I would rule if I was Judge Judy).

As far as another comment saying the waiter is responsible if you do not pay, that can't be legal. (Once again, IANAL). If someone can post a link to anything proving me wrong I'd love to see it. TY.
billryan
billryan
May 6th, 2018 at 10:18:01 AM permalink
It is not legal to have an employee pay for a meal. However, the employees duties include collecting the proper money so his failure to do so can result in termination. I know several waiters who simply weren't given hours after incidents like this.
My Brother in law owns a limo company where I would help out on occasions. One time I read about something that was company policy that was illegal. When I pointed it out, he said he knew and didn't care. Anyone that didn't comply simply didn't get scheduled. They weren't fired, they just didn't get scheduled.

So if the man did all the ordering and then bailed, the person who ate the steak and drank the wine wouldn't be responsible? That makes no sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
May 6th, 2018 at 10:33:27 AM permalink

So if the man did all the ordering and then bailed, the person who ate the steak and drank the wine wouldn't be responsible? That makes no sense.

I hadn't thought about it that deeply. My Judge Judy training tells me that if in that case the woman refuses to pay for what she ate, she would be guilty of accepting stolen goods, a crime slightly different from stealing the goods, but a crime nonetheless. That makes sense!

And as far as your other point about the waiter being fired, that I can believe. If the owner feels it was the waiter's incompetence for not making sure the bill was paid then the owner can fire the waiter for such. Even if the owner is wrong. I draw the line at forcing the waiter to pay the bill.
rxwine
rxwine
May 6th, 2018 at 11:01:18 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I hadn't thought about it that deeply. My Judge Judy training tells me that if in that case the woman refuses to pay for what she ate, she would be guilty of accepting stolen goods, a crime slightly different from stealing the goods, but a crime nonetheless. That makes sense!

Judy would make the woman pay for her meal at least. However, if the woman kept showing up in court for similar things Judy would call her stupid for meeting the same kind of men and make her pay all.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
May 6th, 2018 at 11:07:25 AM permalink
If the dating site had feedback, all this could be avoided.
Nathan
Nathan 
May 6th, 2018 at 11:16:27 AM permalink
I think I read somewhere that many restaurants assume that the MAN is paying for everything so if she saw that he dipped on her, she could eat her meal and claim she was walking out on him while he is in the bathroom because he was being a jerk to her and they most likely wouldn't bat an eye.
Nathan
Nathan 
May 6th, 2018 at 8:28:04 PM permalink

If the dating site had feedback, all this could be avoided.

IIRC at least one scammed victim reported him to the dating site Admins.
RS
RS
May 6th, 2018 at 9:39:41 PM permalink
I’ve watched a fair amount of Judge Judy YouTube videos, so not to toot my own horn, but I consider myself an expert on all things regarding Judge Judy.

She used to be a judge but is no longer a judge, or at least does not act as a judge on the show. She is an arbitrator. On the show, whoever is forced to pay, doesn’t actually have to pay, because the show makes the payments for them. But that’s TV, in real life the person would have to pay, AFAIK.

Also, Judge Judy is very down to earth, from what I can tell. She doesn’t mess around with technicalities like “who ordered what”. It’s more of a “whoever eats it, pays for it” unless there’s some extraordinary circumstance (like one person said they’d pay for everything, then he dipped out early). Based on the initial “opening statements” by both parties, I’ve sided with JJ every time except once, out of at least 20. I stopped keeping track after that.

If everyone used logic like JJ does on her show, the world would be 10000% better. Really, just watch some of her stuff on YouTube. It’d be difficult to find more than a few extreme cases where she makes a decision that I’d strongly disagree with, let alone just think isn’t fair somewhat.

I’m confident if this “tinder freeloader” was on JJ, she would have the guy pay his fair share of food, call him an idiot scumbag, and tell the girl to watch out for scumbags like that guy and not deal with them.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 7th, 2018 at 4:36:13 AM permalink
re tricks of the grocery stores and their suppliers:

you see 2 containers, one large and one small. you grab the larger one thinking it's cheaper
but not always
at my store a 2 oz. bag of Utz chips at $.35 is way cheaper than their larger bags per pound.
lots of other products are like this too

many probably already know this but anyway:

instead of raising the price they keep the price the same and make the container and its product smaller and with less weight

until about 25 years ago ice cream had been sold in half gallon containers forever

then they started making the containers smaller and smaller instead of raising the price

Breyers is the worst at this. right now their container is probably only 70% of a half gallon
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
May 7th, 2018 at 6:07:14 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I’ve watched a fair amount of Judge Judy YouTube videos, so not to toot my own horn, but I consider myself an expert on all things regarding Judge Judy.

I was working at a bookstore when her book came out. the title was:

"Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining"

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Pee-Leg-Tell-Raining/dp/0060927941
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
May 7th, 2018 at 11:13:07 AM permalink
Is there any area of Fresno proper that wouldn’t be considered a semi-ghetto or worse?

Holy crap, for a city of that size, does it leave a bad impression on a visitor. Disproportionate number of windows barred, buildings tagged pretty much throughout the city from what I saw. Beautiful fresno, just down the road from Yosemite and Kings Canyon.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 7th, 2018 at 11:47:35 AM permalink

re tricks of the grocery stores and their suppliers:

you see 2 containers, one large and one small. you grab the larger one thinking it's cheaper
but not always
at my store a 2 oz. bag of Utz chips at $.35 is way cheaper than their larger bags per pound.
lots of other products are like this too

many probably already know this but anyway:

instead of raising the price they keep the price the same and make the container and its product smaller and with less weight

until about 25 years ago ice cream had been sold in half gallon containers forever

then they started making the containers smaller and smaller instead of raising the price

Breyers is the worst at this. right now their container is probably only 70% of a half gallon

If you look at labels, is it even possible to even just buy something just called ice cream? Most of it says reduced fat ice cream or frozen dairy dessert.
I am a robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
May 7th, 2018 at 12:00:47 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I’ve watched a fair amount of Judge Judy

The only show faker than Judy is
Pawn Stars. Judy's show is not
what it appears. Some of the
litigants are hired actors and
the ones who are real might
as well be actors.

They're cleaned up, and coached
up the ying yang on what to say
and how to act on camera. They
make everything melodramatic
and overblown, they know it's
not a real court and they're going
to make money. They film a weeks
worth of episodes in one day, Judy
flies into LA on her private jet.

Just another mostly fake reality show,
enjoy!
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
May 7th, 2018 at 1:53:55 PM permalink
Please provide documentation that some of the people who appear as litigants are actors or extras. They use a service to provide the audience and many of the extras in the audience are aspiring entertainers but show me where you read the cases have actors or extras?
  • Jump to: