DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 19th, 2022 at 4:31:22 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: TDVegas

Quote: DRich

I see SpaceX is doing a 10 for 1 split. I wonder if that means they will be going public soon?
link to original post

Why would they do a split if they are not public?
link to original post

Assuming it will go public soon enough. I’m guessing $56 looks better on an IPO rather than $560. Cosmetic.
link to original post

The point is if they are not public there is no stock to split.
link to original post

Sure there is, even private companies have stock. All of the companies I started all had stock even though they were private and had less than 10 employees.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
February 19th, 2022 at 8:47:52 AM permalink

I see SpaceX is doing a 10 for 1 split. I wonder if that means they will be going public soon?
link to original post

link to original post

Assuming it will go public soon enough. I’m guessing $56 looks better on an IPO rather than $560. Cosmetic.
link to original post

link to original post

Not true.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/privatecompany.asp
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 19th, 2022 at 9:16:57 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Sure there is, even private companies have stock. All of the companies I started all had stock even though they were private and had less than 10 employees.
link to original post

They have stock but there is no share price. If it is closely held there are just a very few holders. Again no share price to split. If you want to sell you have to make your own price.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TDVegas
TDVegas
February 19th, 2022 at 9:23:24 AM permalink
Many stocks have taken a hit.

FB down 46% from its high.
MSFT down 15% since January.

Moderna (vaccine) $450 to $150

Tesla $1,200 to $850

Amazon lost $1,000 before recovering some back on earnings.

Netflix $700 to $390

I follow the Charlie Munger principle of investing…seek 1-3 companies where you believe in everything they do. Leadership. Product. Profit. Competition. Don’t muddy the water. Diversification is not a game I play. You end up with 8-10 equities. 4 do ok. 4 don’t. 1 gets crushed. 1 goes up big.

https://youtu.be/PaNdbrgLleU

Warren Buffet…the king of wealth building.

https://youtu.be/wbjPiYE-F4Y

Concentration builds wealth. Diversification merely protects the wealth already built. If you diversify with little money, you are simply preserving nothing.
Last edited by: TDVegas on Feb 19, 2022
TDVegas
TDVegas
February 19th, 2022 at 9:28:08 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

They have stock but there is no share price. If it is closely held there are just a very few holders. Again no share price to split. If you want to sell you have to make your own price.
link to original post

It is private. There is a share price. $560. It will split 10-1. $56.

Setting or determining the value is a bit different than a public company where shares X price = market cap.

Every company that starts out with an IPO, sets a price. That price is set while the company is private.

If there was no way to set a private share price…then at IPO, the shares would just be sold at whatever is offered. Someone always sets an IPO price (private)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 19th, 2022 at 1:49:24 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

It is private. There is a share price. $560. It will split 10-1. $56.

Setting or determining the value is a bit different than a public company where shares X price = market cap.

Every company that starts out with an IPO, sets a price. That price is set while the company is private.

If there was no way to set a private share price…then at IPO, the shares would just be sold at whatever is offered. Someone always sets an IPO price (private)
link to original post

The IPO price is not the same thing. That is set by the underwriter. And an IPO is about going public, it is not a private price.
DRich
DRich
February 19th, 2022 at 2:25:07 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Mine were priced at $1 million per share. Surprisingly I didn't sell any.
billryan
billryan
February 20th, 2022 at 8:30:23 AM permalink
I own shares in several private companies. I'm not sure you can be a corporation without having outstanding shares. I do think it is a bit unusual for a private company to announce a split like this, but I have limited experience on these.

edit:- I believe a non-profit corporation does not need to issue shares, but any for profit corporation does.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 20th, 2022 at 1:57:04 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I own shares in several private companies. I'm not sure you can be a corporation without having outstanding shares. I do think it is a bit unusual for a private company to announce a split like this, but I have limited experience on these.

edit:- I believe a non-profit corporation does not need to issue shares, but any for profit corporation does.
link to original post

Private companies have shared but there is no liquid price. And there is a limit to how many shareholders in most cases.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
February 20th, 2022 at 1:59:38 PM permalink

link to original post

Private companies have shared but there is no liquid price. And there is a limit to how many shareholders in most cases.
link to original post

Important point about the liquidity. I’m invested (small amounts) in a bunch. They list a NAV but admit it is not a guarantee if I actually want to sell the shares.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 20th, 2022 at 3:11:40 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

link to original post

link to original post

Important point about the liquidity. I’m invested (small amounts) in a bunch. They list a NAV but admit it is not a guarantee if I actually want to sell the shares.
link to original post

I interviewed with some brokerage out of college who had a stock purchase plan but they were private somehow but would buy from you on demand. Which made it a glorified partnership of sorts. But they set the price, a true dark market.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 25th, 2022 at 4:57:38 PM permalink
After the two up days following the big down day now at +127%. From ATH of + 149%. So that’s a 9% hit. I think that counts as a ‘correction’?
Like everyone else I’m worried about Russia/Ukraine, US inflation, …. but I’m still not willing to sit in cash. I do need some % return to live on…..
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 26th, 2022 at 4:10:45 AM permalink

After the two up days following the big down day now at +127%. From ATH of + 149%. So that’s a 9% hit. I think that counts as a ‘correction’?
Like everyone else I’m worried about Russia/Ukraine, US inflation, …. but I’m still not willing to sit in cash. I do need some % return to live on…..
link to original post

Stocks go down after the invasion then up as the war goes on. Ride it out but put some money in crypto as well, though the state of NY makes that harder than most.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 26th, 2022 at 5:56:34 AM permalink

link to original post

Stocks go down after the invasion then up as the war goes on. Ride it out but put some money in crypto as well, though the state of NY makes that harder than most.
link to original post

. I am not saying crypto won’t be a good investment, but I just won’t do it. I know it is a form of a Ponzi scheme at its root. At least for n the stock market I can fool myself into thinking I own something tangible.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 26th, 2022 at 7:00:36 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

. I am not saying crypto won’t be a good investment, but I just won’t do it. I know it is a form of a Ponzi scheme at its root. At least for n the stock market I can fool myself into thinking I own something tangible.
link to original post

There are good coins and bad coins. Ponzi schemes do not last over a decade. If it comes in for me 7 figures I will buy you wings and a beer at BBP if you let me say I told you to invest.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Dieter
February 26th, 2022 at 7:27:40 AM permalink
Bernie Madoff carried out his Ponzi scheme for at least two decades although some evidence points to his doing this as far back as the early 1970s so he may have done it for forty years.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 28th, 2022 at 6:44:39 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

There are good coins and bad coins. Ponzi schemes do not last over a decade. If it comes in for me 7 figures I will buy you wings and a beer at BBP if you let me say I told you to invest.
link to original post

So if you clear $800k you wont buy the wings and beer? And I've told you... not a fan of Buffalo Brew Pub!

I just checked my 'lending' of shares to short sellers. I cleared a whopping $60 in February (with one more day to go). I still think it is good to get free money.
Down half percent after trading for 1 minute this morning. Gotta be tons of volatility coming our way.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 28th, 2022 at 4:48:29 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

So if you clear $800k you wont buy the wings and beer? And I've told you... not a fan of Buffalo Brew Pub!

I just checked my 'lending' of shares to short sellers. I cleared a whopping $60 in February (with one more day to go). I still think it is good to get free money.
Down half percent after trading for 1 minute this morning. Gotta be tons of volatility coming our way.
link to original post

If I make $800K you can have one or the other. You can pick the place except Duff's. I have no idea why everyone up there is so goo goo for their wings, they have been average at best any time I have had them.

BTC is up $4,000 since I made the offer this morning. Now, still down a little over $20,000 from its high, but maybe we are on the way to $300K this round.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 18th, 2022 at 8:49:29 AM permalink
Long time since I posted here….

Up 104% since inception. I think down 18% from the ATH before the crash/correction/downturn or whatever you want to call it.
Since I started AP sports betting I really haven’t paid attention to any details of my stocks! I guess, after a deep analysis, I checked and occasionally bought and/or sold stocks more for enjoyment than any real advantage over just holding. I’m having a boatload of fun with the sports betting, even though it is a really small fraction of the stocks.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 3rd, 2022 at 5:13:36 PM permalink
Has anyone here done or know much about getting a market data feed and programming a stock screener? Here is what I want.

PART 1

Be able to screen NADAQ and NYSE stocks for price and range with 2 different range screeners. Like this:

First, screen for price. Say I want stocks selling $30-40 per share. It screens for that. But over a period of time. So I could tell it to show me stocks that have traded between $30 and $40 from June 1st to today.

Then screen for average range over a time period. For example, say I want to screen for only stocks that stay in a $2 range per week or $1.00 per day.

Thus in this example I would get stocks that trade $30-40 but stay in a range of $1 per day since June 1.

PART 2

I would want it to screen options chains. This gets harder. I would want it to scan for only stocks with weekly options expiration or monthly. Then I want it to look at and sort by Theta on those options but just the options with a strike price within X of the stock price.

Then it needs to compare things. Compare Theta to the total stock price. Also compare theta to two different options at the same expiration or the same strike but two different expirations.

IOW, what I want to do is search for maximum possible Theta decay candidates. For both covered calls and calendar spreads.

I am guessing some version of C is what to use. I can surely find a programmer in my area to make it work. I would want it to be a possible web page for both my own use (private page) but to perhaps sell subscriptions if it works.

Any ideas or feedback?

And yeah, I know I should have taken more of this in college. Different times and I did not know the investing stuff I do now. I have said it to anyone, show me a suburban boy who tracks sports data for betting and I will show you a guy who wanted to work in a hedge fund but did not have the pedigree.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 18th, 2023 at 3:40:32 PM permalink
I’ve been almost ignoring this since I started the sports betting! Up 132% since inception. Still somewhat below the high. If you factor in inflation it hasn’t done well since the onset of the COVID pandemic.
I’m going to go over my positions soon. Of course all my long term bond holdings are way down in value!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 18th, 2023 at 4:09:49 PM permalink

If you factor in inflation it hasn’t done well since the onset of the COVID pandemic.

oh, yeah, that.

one account I look at all the time because I'm pretty sure it might have to be perhaps a decade before I have to touch it [but will have to being retired, unless I croke] is getting back to where it was pre-pandemic ... except to keep up with inflation it has several 10s of thousands more to go to really be back, it adds up fast
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
July 18th, 2023 at 4:16:04 PM permalink
I think I was discriminated against for not spending enough.

A quick backstory- I like to keep my funds in separate" envelopes", so to speak. When I moved to Vegas, I opened an account that paid $2,000 a month in dividends- to cover my rent and spending money. When I moved to Bisbee, I continued to cash them but needed less so I'd usually reinvest the leftovers. Once I bought my 5th wheel and started collecting SS, I reinvested the whole monthly amount. Thanks to compounding and the like, the dividends are more like $2400 a month.
I just bought a house in a retirement community, pending approval from a committee, and I just had a Zoom call that didn't go well.
Because I have been reinvesting the dividends for three years, they don't consider them as income. If I stop reinvesting and deposit the money into a dedicated account, they will reconsider in six months. They don't consider your IRAs or 401K unless you are drawing from them. I've appealed but I'm not sure I want to live there if they approve me.
vegas
vegas
  • Threads: 30
July 18th, 2023 at 7:55:48 PM permalink
Billyryan are you still holding AT&T. It has really gotten beaten down and the lead in their cables has become a huge problem. Good dividend but you give it back with reduced share price. Too much debt as well.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
billryan
billryan
July 18th, 2023 at 9:03:43 PM permalink
I bought some at 15, some more at 17, and some at 19, then sold it all around 17. I'm not sure if I got two or three dividends in the process.
Like many, I've been jumping on the covered call bandwagon, although buying dividend kings like ATT at twenty-year lows usually is a good call. I own a bunch through various ETFs but don't currently own any individual stocks, just ETFs.
Talldude90
Talldude90
  • Threads: 15
July 18th, 2023 at 11:40:44 PM permalink
Long term index funds are 100% the way to go.

Short term (think 1-3 years) though, finding undervalued stocks seems to be a good idea. For example, Disney is fighting with Desantis at the moment, but we all know Disney is not going anywhere and I don't see them going anything but stable or up over the next few years. If they even gain back to half their 2021 level that's a 50% gain. Wither they'll take one year or three, who knows, but 50% over either investment length is a good gain.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 19th, 2023 at 3:20:30 AM permalink

A quick backstory- I like to keep my funds in separate" envelopes", so to speak. When I moved to Vegas, I opened an account that paid $2,000 a month in dividends- to cover my rent and spending money. When I moved to Bisbee, I continued to cash them but needed less so I'd usually reinvest the leftovers. Once I bought my 5th wheel and started collecting SS, I reinvested the whole monthly amount. Thanks to compounding and the like, the dividends are more like $2400 a month.
I just bought a house in a retirement community, pending approval from a committee, and I just had a Zoom call that didn't go well.
Because I have been reinvesting the dividends for three years, they don't consider them as income. If I stop reinvesting and deposit the money into a dedicated account, they will reconsider in six months. They don't consider your IRAs or 401K unless you are drawing from them. I've appealed but I'm not sure I want to live there if they approve me.
link to original post

different things can happen to that money since the account owner [and heir] are in complete control. One spouse dies and the other goes on a world cruise spending spree? A guy finally figures out he is in total control and puts it all in a can't-miss stock, that misses? I've run into this uneasiness they have before
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 19th, 2023 at 5:34:17 AM permalink

link to original post

You are not sure? You should tell them what to do with their application. I can only imagine the HOA rules once you do get in there. Find something else. Anything else.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 19th, 2023 at 5:40:31 AM permalink

Like many, I've been jumping on the covered call bandwagon, although buying dividend kings like ATT at twenty-year lows usually is a good call. I own a bunch through various ETFs but don't currently own any individual stocks, just ETFs.
link to original post

Covered calls are a good income stream. QYLD does nothing but, pays about 1% a month but the base price got whacked last year though it is coming back. IV seems low at the moment making it harder. I am trying to learn to program so I can make a search program for options.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
July 19th, 2023 at 6:06:14 AM permalink

link to original post

Covered calls are a good income stream. QYLD does nothing but, pays about 1% a month but the base price got whacked last year though it is coming back. IV seems low at the moment making it harder. I am trying to learn to program so I can make a search program for options.
link to original post

There’s an ETF that does it if you want exposure to the strategy without needing to put in the effort of doing it yourself. Ticker: XYLD
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
July 19th, 2023 at 6:33:50 AM permalink
Quote: vegas

Billyryan are you still holding AT&T. It has really gotten beaten down and the lead in their cables has become a huge problem. Good dividend but you give it back with reduced share price. Too much debt as well.
link to original post

I have taken a huge hit on AT&T. I have had it for about five years. If I had to guess I am down 50% on it.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
July 19th, 2023 at 6:39:09 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

link to original post

There’s an ETF that does it if you want exposure to the strategy without needing to put in the effort of doing it yourself. Ticker: XYLD
link to original post

There are many, aforesaid QYLD just one. But I like the hunt. And if I get the program to work I will make it available for subscription.
billryan
billryan
July 19th, 2023 at 9:50:36 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

link to original post

different things can happen to that money since the account owner [and heir] are in complete control. One spouse dies and the other goes on a world cruise spending spree? A guy finally figures out he is in total control and puts it all in a can't-miss stock, that misses? I've run into this uneasiness they have before
link to original post

At 6:43 this evening, I got an email asking if I could document three years of dividend income. I replied yes and I'm approved, pending the house passing an inspection and me being able to obtain insurance policy and bond. It's too hot to celebrate.
DRich
DRich
July 20th, 2023 at 4:15:17 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

At 6:43 this evening, I got an email asking if I could document three years of dividend income. I replied yes and I'm approved, pending the house passing an inspection and me being able to obtain insurance policy and bond. It's too hot to celebrate.
link to original post

Congratulations! What type of a bond do you have to have? I have never heard of someone being bonded to buy a home.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
July 20th, 2023 at 5:13:05 AM permalink
I've posted this elsewhere (not in this thread) but I thought it was worth posting here too

since there have been some comments about predicting future prices and charts - I wanted to mention this:
mutual fund managers are highly paid professional stock pickers
over the last 5 years tracked in the article only 13.49% of actively managed funds outperformed the S&P index
over 10 years it's only 8.59% -

this is well known and I believe typical of any 5 and 10 year period

the difficulty in predicting the future prices of individual stocks is off the charts

this is what I've invested in for over 30 years
over that period the value has gone way, way up

ironically, I've done almost nothing - I've pretty much gone to sleep on it - very rarely even check it

VFINX - Vanguard's tracker of the S&P 500 index
and VGT their tech index tracker (for the last 8 years)

it may be wimpy and boring - but I don't care
I'm not going to pick stocks

also, if you buy and sell stocks regularly you're subject to capital gains taxes from both the Feds and most States

in the index funds - buy and hold - the cap gains are nothing or almost nothing until you cash out - which I may never do - it will prolly all go to charity when I stop kickin

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/index-funds-vs-mutual-funds/#:~:text=S%26P%20Dow%20Jones%20Indices'%20scorecard,funds%20outperformed%20the%20S%26P%20500.

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Jul 20, 2023
Please don't feed the trolls
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2023 at 6:25:52 AM permalink
Mutual funds are so 20th Century. I guess it is good as many investors still seem stuck in it.
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2023 at 6:31:29 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Congratulations! What type of a bond do you have to have? I have never heard of someone being bonded to buy a home.
link to original post

It's some sort of hybrid insurance policy. I'm not really sure of the details, but it is $250 every five years, and required.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 20th, 2023 at 6:45:34 AM permalink

Mutual funds are so 20th Century.

to me, that is not an issue - I don't care if I seem behind the times
what I care about is being as effective and efficient as possible

I don't believe that I could have even come close to the r.o.i. I have realized by trading stocks or bonds
or that I could now

if you can - great - more power to you - if you can, then I believe that you are exceptional

but I believe most can't and many are fooling themselves - if they carefully and honestly compared their long term returns to that of the S&P 500 index - and consider their tax obligations - the vast majority will see that they have underperformed - and many have underperformed by a lot -

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 20th, 2023 at 7:03:05 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I don't believe that I could have even come close to the r.o.i. I have realized by trading stocks or bonds
or that I could now

if you can - great - more power to you - but I doubt there are many who can - if you can then I believe that you are exceptional

link to original post

Decades ago I started putting money in Mutual Funds. But one year they broke even or so butttttt…. they paid out dividends and capital gains…. So even though the entire value of my holdings did NOT increase, I had a tax liability. If you buy ETFs instead YOU determine if and when you will pay capital gains taxes. ETFs tend to have lower internal (hidden, essentially) fees than MF’s as well.
I still have 1 Mutual Fund, American Century Ultra, which before the pandemic was amongst my best investing decisions. It’s doing well this year…. Up 32% YTD.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 20th, 2023 at 7:08:40 AM permalink

or that I could now

if you can - great - more power to you - but I doubt there are many who can - if you can then I believe that you are exceptional

link to original post

Decades ago I started putting money in Mutual Funds. But one year they broke even or so butttttt…. they paid out dividends and capital gains…. So even though the entire value of my holdings did NOT increase, I had a tax liability. If you buy ETFs instead YOU determine if and when you will pay capital gains taxes. ETFs tend to have lower internal (hidden, essentially) fees than MF’s as well.
I still have 1 Mutual Fund, American Century Ultra, which before the pandemic was amongst my best investing decisions. It’s doing well this year…. Up 32% YTD.
link to original post

you're posting about mutual funds generally
I'm posting about index funds specifically - there is a great big difference
I've payed either nothing or almost nothing in dividends and cap gains for decades

billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2023 at 7:13:33 AM permalink

or that I could now

if you can - great - more power to you - but I doubt there are many who can - if you can, then I believe that you are exceptional

link to original post

You seem to think that being tax efficient is a big mystery that only the best professionals can hope to accomplish. Like many investors, you settle for nickels and dimes to not have to pay taxes on the dollars you might make elsewhere.
It's good that your investments have gone way up over the years. It's a shame you didn't take the time to do it better. Even an hour or two of educating yourself about the market has added up over the years. The problem is I doubt many investors want to put in the time needed to educate themselves.
Years ago, TD Ameritrade came out with a Sink or Swim tutorial program. I signed up for it and was assigned a group of seven other investors. By Day 3 ,we were down to four people and Day 7 saw two of us finish the program. We were literally offered the keys to the kingdom and two people bothered to take advantage.

BTW- I've done fairly well bonus hunting with my portfolios. One broker gave me $2500 for opening an account with him, TD Ameritrade offered a great sign-up bonus for AARP members, and many will give you one to three percent bonuses, as well as covering your expenses to switch.
You can set it and forget it in investing- which is by no means a bad strategy or you can educate yourself and turbo-charge your money.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 20th, 2023 at 7:19:05 AM permalink

btw - I generally don't even check on my investments
but because of your post I checked
my VGT - an index etf - is crushing your fund from the no doubt high flying multi-millionaire mutual fund manager that you went with
it's up 44% ytd
I'm not posting this to brag
I'm posting it to show how even supposedly great traders (which I'm sure your guys considers themselves) will so very often underperform an index

although upon further checking your fund did outperform the S&P index by about 3% over the last 10 years and that is impressive

although it could not have been anywhere near as tax efficient

billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2023 at 7:50:47 AM permalink

btw - I generally don't even check on my investments
but because of your post I checked
my VGT - an index etf - is crushing your fund from the no doubt high flying multi-millionaire mutual fund manager that you went with
it's up 44% ytd
I'm not posting this to brag
I'm posting it to show how even supposedly great traders (which I'm sure your guys considers themselves) will so very often underperform an index

link to original post

American Century Ultra- boy does that bring back memories. During the Clinton era, I had a large slice of my portfolio in American Century- Ultra and Vista, as I recall. Back to back 40% years really jumpstarted my investments.

I certainly don't consider myself a great investor. Just an educated one. Something just about everyone can be, if they take the time.
One thing I've never worried about is beating a hypothetical benchmark.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 20th, 2023 at 7:57:27 AM permalink

if you didn't match the most common benchmark - the S&P 500 - then you've wasted a lot of time and energy
and paid a lot more in taxes

and that fact applies to the majority who actively trade
even if it does not apply to billryan

it all could have been so easy - but then again, maybe many enjoy trading - nuff said - for me anyway - I'm done

billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2023 at 8:10:35 AM permalink

if you didn't match the most common benchmark - the S&P 500 - then you've wasted a lot of time and energy
and paid a lot more in taxes

and that fact applies to the majority who actively trade
even if it does not apply to billryan
link to original post

Okay. Tell me more about all these taxes I've paid. It's the first time I'm hearing this..
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2023 at 8:19:56 AM permalink
Just to clarify, Do you believe a percentage of casino clients can regularly beat the casinos but not the Market?
I'm not even sure what you consider beating the market, by the way. You seem to think not beating the SP is a horrible sin, or something.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 20th, 2023 at 8:31:31 AM permalink

Just to clarify, Do you believe a percentage of casino clients can regularly beat the casinos but not the Market?
I'm not even sure what you consider beating the market, by the way. You seem to think not beating the SP is a horrible sin, or something.
link to original post

You (Billy) know there are many here who can consistently and reliably beat casinos. I would surmise there are some that can do the same with the ‘market’.

I doubt I have beaten ‘the market’ over my 35 or so years of investing. But I most assuredly have beaten all my friends who have used a ‘manager’ over that time. Forget the .5 -1% a year that paid for the manager’s Porsche…. I’ve been close to all in stocks throughout while they may have had 30-40% in bonds! And some in cash as well. So I feel my investing as a whole can only be deemed a success.
billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2023 at 8:42:59 AM permalink
Did I beat the market last year? Who knows. Who really cares? My real estate portfolio outperforms stocks some years, and underperforms it others. Some years gold and silver outperforms the S&P, other years they are flat. I sold my comics last year, a few months into the softening market. If I'd sold six months earlier, I might have gotten 20% more, but I got the price I was asking.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 20th, 2023 at 12:08:25 PM permalink
𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙫𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙟𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙮 𝙤𝙛 𝙝𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙡𝙮 𝙥𝙖𝙞𝙙, 𝙝𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙡𝙮 𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙙 𝙢𝙪𝙩𝙪𝙖𝙡 𝙛𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙖𝙣𝙖𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙢 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙎&𝙋 500 𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙭

__________𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙞𝙨 𝙖 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙩

and any investor has the option of buying a fund that closely tracks that index

or if you like tech there is at least one fund I know of that tracks a tech index

I suggest it might be worthwhile to think about that before making 10 more trades

are you better than them____?__________are you smarter than them_____?

or maybe you don't care - you're having fun - or whatever - just saying - it's your business - not mine

I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do with their money - just providing my perspective

Soopoo and billryan are investors who have done well trading - we haven't heard much from those who haven't - I doubt they're small in number

billryan
billryan
July 20th, 2023 at 12:27:37 PM permalink

𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙫𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙟𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙩𝙮 𝙤𝙛 𝙝𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙡𝙮 𝙥𝙖𝙞𝙙, 𝙝𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙡𝙮 𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙙 𝙢𝙪𝙩𝙪𝙖𝙡 𝙛𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙖𝙣𝙖𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙢 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙎&𝙋 500 𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙭

__________𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙞𝙨 𝙖 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙩

and any investor has the option of buying a fund that closely tracks that index

think about that before you make your next 10 trades

are you better than them____?__________are you smarter than them_____?

or maybe you don't care - you're having fun - or whatever - just saying - it's your business - not mine

link to original post

I think you are referencing reports that are put out by the company that runs the S&P and that uses non-public information that no one else can verify. In most years, about half of managed funds beat the S&P, but you need to realize that isn't what all funds are set up for.
Some funds are growth funds, and some are value funds, some are income funds. Some funds are super tax efficant while others strive for income. The Dow and S&P is a slice of the market, and has been dominated by a half dozen stocks for years now.
I have two funds that pretty much cancel each other out. When one goes up, the other goes down. The nice thing is they pay about one percent in dividends each month. I'm more concerned about the monthly income than beating any index.

Covered Call ETFs are this season's flavor of the month. These dividend-oriented funds won't beat the S&P but they are designed for income, not growth. Why are investors pumping billions into funds that trail the indexes?

Your plan seems to be to do nothing, let the money accumulate and then go to charity. As you said- if it works for you, go for it.
I've never said my way was the best way, or the only way. Just that it has worked well for me, and is both repeatable and scalable.
Last edited by: billryan on Jul 20, 2023
  • Jump to: