Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 22nd, 2021 at 6:43:16 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

143% would be great. After BIG up day today now at +139%. Interestingly, my CYDY stock has been borrowed frequently. I get $0.50 a day. I need it….
link to original post

That is awesome to get $0.50 a day on a $1 stock.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 22nd, 2021 at 9:31:59 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

143% would be great. After BIG up day today now at +139%. Interestingly, my CYDY stock has been borrowed frequently. I get $0.50 a day. I need it….
link to original post

link to original post

It is. But it’s $0.50 for the 1000 shares.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
December 22nd, 2021 at 9:51:11 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Wait, so if the shorts manage to drop the SP by just one penny a day, you lose $10 in value and get paid $.50?

What am I missing here?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 22nd, 2021 at 10:03:09 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

What brokers allow this? Schwab does not. I may need to diversify.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
December 22nd, 2021 at 10:04:26 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

If I am not mistaken that is about 17% of the share value. Sounds good to me.
billryan
billryan
December 22nd, 2021 at 10:53:24 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

More like 45%. I'm glad to see someone is making money aside from the insiders that rape it daily.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
December 22nd, 2021 at 11:23:49 AM permalink
1000 shares at $1 apiece is $1000.

How is getting.50 per day for all 1000 collectively work out to 45%?

If he had just one share, he would not get $.50. He would get maybe a penny.

Or am I missing something here?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
December 22nd, 2021 at 12:02:11 PM permalink
All brokers I use have programs where they compensate for borrowed shares of certain hard to borrow stocks. If you own shares in a given stock and do not have a sell order in place for them, they are subject to being borrowed anyway, so might as well benefit.

If you don't want your shares lent out, maintain a GTC sell order on them. Set it artificially high so that it may never be filled, whatever, but unless that order is in place the shares may be lent out. (The only other way I know of to prevent your shares from being lent out is to demand to hold the actual share certificates, assuming that sort of antiquated thing is even viable these days.)
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
December 22nd, 2021 at 12:47:49 PM permalink

When you buy a security, whether through your broker or from the company itself, you can ask to have the actual stock or bond certificates sent to you. You may have to pay a nominal fee ...

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 22nd, 2021 at 12:54:13 PM permalink
Quote: MDawg

All brokers I use have programs where they compensate for borrowed shares of certain hard to borrow stocks. If you own shares in a given stock and do not have a sell order in place for them, they are subject to being borrowed anyway, so might as well benefit.

If you don't want your shares lent out, maintain a GTC sell order on them. Set it artificially high so that it may never be filled, whatever, but unless that order is in place the shares may be lent out. (The only other way I know of to prevent your shares from being lent out is to demand to hold the actual share certificates, assuming that sort of antiquated thing is even viable these days.)
link to original post

I called and Schwab at least does not pass the fees on to you. I do good with covered calls so need to research this for next year.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 22nd, 2021 at 4:12:03 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Wait, so if the shorts manage to drop the SP by just one penny a day, you lose $10 in value and get paid $.50?

What am I missing here?
link to original post

I get the $0.50 regardless of whether the shorts are successful or not in lowering the price of the stock. The only reason NOT to do this is if I actually think my loaning $1000 worth of stock to a short seller actually will affect the price of the stock. I don’t think it will.

To answer AZ, my account is with TD. As I mentioned elsewhere, you cannot have ‘margin enabled’ to do this.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 22nd, 2021 at 4:14:14 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Bingo. This stock when borrowed pays around 17% annually. Some of the big ETFs pay less than 1%. I literally have been credited with a penny a few times.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2021 at 3:47:06 AM permalink

To answer AZ, my account is with TD. As I mentioned elsewhere, you cannot have ‘margin enabled’ to do this.
link to original post

Thank you. I will have to look more into this. IIRC you also said you cannot run a covered call and loan it out at the same time?

FWIW I took me to age 50 but I seem to have discovered that these income strategies are what separate Joe Retail Investor from the pros. When it is working right I pull several hundred dollars a week, not a ton but we are talking $10-20,000 year annualized. Better than just waiting and hoping. The short term poor man's ones are like seeing your team pick cover the spread.

Thus if I can find a way to make the two strategies work together it will be a good thing. I will tell the same guys I explained covered call to. One of them it is as if I discovered fire, the guy has made six figures by now.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 31st, 2021 at 4:55:37 PM permalink
Full year results. Up 16.7% for the year. That’s a good year.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
December 31st, 2021 at 4:58:44 PM permalink

link to original post

S&P 500 was up 26.9% though.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 31st, 2021 at 6:26:40 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

link to original post

S&P 500 was up 26.9% though.
link to original post

My portfolio has some exposure to bonds, as well as exposure to preferred stock ETFs, which will tend to outperform S &P 500 during down years, but underperform during big up years. My portfolio basically did what it was designed to do!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 1st, 2022 at 4:17:16 AM permalink
Did you take any tax losses yesterday?
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
January 1st, 2022 at 7:50:23 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

probably should have sold cydy and bought again 30days later.
but i hate that fear that it will shoot up in that 30days since it's a pink sheets stock
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 1st, 2022 at 7:58:28 AM permalink

link to original post

No. The WoV portfolio is in a retirement account so no tax consequences until I start withdrawing in around 9 years.

My single taxable portfolio I try to even out with selling gains and losses. I’m pretty much out of losses going forward. But my tax situation is not that bad. I only have a small taxable pension. No real income!
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
January 2nd, 2022 at 2:34:25 AM permalink

one of Reddit's wallstreetbets Superstars shouts out a brag

he only spent 75 hours a week on his computer honing his strategy___________________(-:\

Please don't feed the trolls
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 4th, 2022 at 6:05:10 AM permalink
Sold some AAPL yesterday at 182. Still own a bunch. It’s still going up this morning. Made a few $hundred on DKNG trade. But still DOWN a bunch on my long term DKNG. Have sell order in on (some)TSLA at 1222. We shall see if it gets there!
Yesterday made it back to +148%. Still not at ATH.

I think I’m going to sell some TSM from my taxable account. I’m just nervous about big China taking over Taiwan. No idea what the ramifications would actually be. But TSM is up a bunch the last few days. ‘No one ever went broke selling stocks at a profit’.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 6th, 2022 at 2:39:48 AM permalink

Superstar stock market guru Jim Cramer touting Elizabeth Holmes and her blood testing company Theranos
Theranos and her whole thing was totally bogus

Cramer swallowed her act hook, line and sinker

Liz is now headed to jail after being convicted for investment fraud

.https://www.npr.org/2022/01/03/1063973490/elizabeth-holmes-trial-verdict-guilty-theranos

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 6th, 2022 at 3:52:27 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Superstar stock market guru Jim Cramer touting Elizabeth Holmes and her blood testing company Theranos

link to original post

That whole thing blows my mind. She is obviously genius level, but that so many people thought someone so young and thus little practical experience suddenly found what everyone missed to make an almost magical machine?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 6th, 2022 at 4:08:21 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

[youtube video]

.https://www.npr.org/2022/01/03/1063973490/elizabeth-holmes-trial-verdict-guilty-theranos

link to original post

The "American Greed" CNBC series testifies to the incredible number of con-artists out there defrauding people for millions of dollars ... they never run out of stories to tell, one after the other, endless.

One repeated factor is the power of second-party endorsement. According to her Wikipedia page, "The credibility of Theranos was attributed in part to Holmes's personal connections and ability to recruit the support of influential people, including Henry Kissinger, George Shultz, Jim Mattis, and Betsy DeVos, all of whom had served or would go on to serve as U.S. presidential cabinet officials. "

Imagine if you, like me, aren't really good at doing your own investigations into companies, but really wanted to invest in the gambling industry in some way. If Joe Blow walked up to you and said, "hey, you ought to invest in 'Gamblanos Enterprises', looks good to me" you probably would instantly dismiss the idea. But if Michael Shackleford said to you, " You told me you are looking to invest so I want you to meet Joe Blow, he can get you into the ground floor with Gamblanos Enterprises, looks like it is going to be big." And it turns out Mr. Blow is actually a pretty smooth talker. Well now.

Apologies to the Wizard, I don't think he goes around doing this. But if he did, the evidence is, people would listen, and if Mr. Blow is just a con-man, many many people just will not see that now. If you don't believe me, watch that show and watch people fork over millions and millions just like that.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 9th, 2022 at 1:56:58 AM permalink

some of the Reddit wallstreetbets memes are priceless:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 11th, 2022 at 3:24:01 PM permalink
ILMN my big winner today….. more than made up for my big loser today…. CYDY! Up 144% from inception…. Was up 149% in November I think.

I’m still skittish….

Considering selling my (small) holdings in Russia based companies. Who knows what happens if they take over Kazakhstan or Ukraine or Alaska.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 12th, 2022 at 7:43:17 AM permalink
When I think I understand the stock market a little…. Help me out here…..

X (US Steel) is one of my holdings. It’s around $25. Last QUARTER it showed earnings of around $5. Next QUARTER it is expected to have earnings of around $5. Its P/E ratio for the year is listed as 2! Why isn’t the stock price MUCH higher?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 12th, 2022 at 8:40:06 AM permalink

X (US Steel) is one of my holdings. It’s around $25. Last QUARTER it showed earnings of around $5. Next QUARTER it is expected to have earnings of around $5. Its P/E ratio for the year is listed as 2! Why isn’t the stock price MUCH higher?
link to original post

Guesses?

US Steel is an awful managed company. Horrible to work at and not very innovative. There is little growth with them.

Concern for shortages interrupting business maybe?

A quick look at their options maybe I will make a wager as $0.30 of theta decay for 3 days is nice.

EDIT: I placed a 24.50/25.50 bull call spread expires Friday (actually Sat). Lets see if I can crank out a quick profit.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 12th, 2022 at 8:48:06 AM permalink

link to original post

Guesses?

US Steel is an awful managed company. Horrible to work at and not very innovative. There is little growth with them.

A quick look at their options maybe I will make a wager as $0.30 of theta decay for 3 days is nice.
link to original post

I guess I don’t understand. If so poorly managed why are they making the huge profits last quarter and expected next quarter? They announced an expansion by building some huge factory in Arkansas. Sounds like growth?

Can you give us details about the bet you are making on (or against?) US steel in the option play you mentioned?
DRich
DRich
January 12th, 2022 at 9:05:43 AM permalink

link to original post

my guess is it is on last year earnings.
unJon
unJon
January 12th, 2022 at 11:58:51 AM permalink
Not that I’m endorsing any views, but I often enjoy the writing at seeking alpha when looking at stocks. This is from November from them.

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4468807-united-states-steel-x-stock-punished-good-market-conditions
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 12th, 2022 at 12:09:47 PM permalink

link to original post

Guesses?

link to original post

I guess I don’t understand. If so poorly managed why are they making the huge profits last quarter and expected next quarter? They announced an expansion by building some huge factory in Arkansas. Sounds like growth?

Can you give us details about the bet you are making on (or against?) US steel in the option play you mentioned?
link to original post

Even bad managed companies can do good in good times. USX just has bad history and little in the way of innovation.

But that does not mean you cannot make money off of it!

EDIT: I placed a 24.50/25.50 bull call spread expires Friday (actually Sat). Lets see if I can crank out a quick profit.

Here is the deal on what I did. X has options expiring Friday. At the time I did the trade it was trading about $25.34, up to $25.44 as I write this. So I did the following:

1. Bought an option to buy (call) at $24.50
2. Sold another call that someone else can buy at $25.50

Now, the exact prices I did each at do not matter, I do not even know them! What matters is the net cost to me was $0.56 per share. So if X is at $25.07 or more at market close on Friday I make money. Ideally it is at $25.51 or more at close so I do nothing. Then while I sleep......

I will be assigned 1,000 shares at $24.50 and at the same time be assigned to sell 1,000 at $25.50.

That is a net sale proceeds of $1,000. I put $560 ($0.56 a share) into it for a profit of $440! On an investment of $560. Someone do the ROI for me!

Now, this is risky as if it goes down I can lose my entire $560. In this way this is kind of like betting sports but with some more outs.

If a few people want to learn about options trading that is its own thread. This is not hard but not simple and very speculative. This is your sportsbook money, not your retirement account!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 12th, 2022 at 4:24:42 PM permalink

link to original post

Guesses?

link to original post

link to original post

Even bad managed companies can do good in good times. USX just has bad history and little in the way of innovation.

Here is the deal on what I did. X has options expiring Friday. At the time I did the trade it was trading about $25.34, up to $25.44 as I write this. So I did the following:

Now, the exact prices I did each at do not matter, I do not even know them! What matters is the net cost to me was $0.56 per share. So if X is at $25.07 or more at market close on Friday I make money. Ideally it is at $25.51 or more at close so I do nothing. Then while I sleep......

I will be assigned 1,000 shares at $24.50 and at the same time be assigned to sell 1,000 at $25.50.

That is a net sale proceeds of $1,000. I put $560 ($0.56 a share) into it for a profit of $440! On an investment of $560. Someone do the ROI for me!

Now, this is risky as if it goes down I can lose my entire $560. In this way this is kind of like betting sports but with some more outs.

If a few people want to learn about options trading that is its own thread. This is not hard but not simple and very speculative. This is your sportsbook money, not your retirement account!
link to original post

. It’s at $25.71 now. Looking good! My B in Law would (sometimes) get out of those positions now, maybe at a profit of $350 instead of the $440 you get by waiting until the expiration.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 12th, 2022 at 4:52:21 PM permalink

link to original post

Guesses?

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

. It’s at $25.71 now. Looking good! My B in Law would (sometimes) get out of those positions now, maybe at a profit of $350 instead of the $440 you get by waiting until the expiration.
link to original post

The problem is a gamma-squeeze. While the math gets complex the issue is that the second option gets more expensive while it is At-the-money, adding theta. But I will be looking at it tomorrow. If it pops up I will do much as you suggest. $350 is what as a percent of $560? 60%ish return in a day?

This whole strategy is about finding a momentum stock that will go up a point or a few over a few days. It is a form of scalping. I did decent on AAPL last year, it being a higher priced stock easier to move a strike price or two. But I was not careful and did it with earnings coming up, it worked out but that is a dangerous thing.

I will report back when I sell or get filled.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 13th, 2022 at 6:44:11 AM permalink
I am not bad at buying stocks. I AM bad at selling them! A week ago I sold some TSM when it hit $134.50. I almost bragged about how I got out at its peak as it quickly fell below $130! It’s solidly above $140 today….

X at $25.61 this moment. I am rooting for AZ and at least $25.51 on Friday 4pm!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 13th, 2022 at 8:40:30 AM permalink

I am not bad at buying stocks. I AM bad at selling them! A week ago I sold some TSM when it hit $134.50. I almost bragged about how I got out at its peak as it quickly fell below $130! It’s solidly above $140 today….

link to original post

I put in a limit order to sell at a credit of $0.90 no takers yet. That is a $0.34 profit on $0.56. Or 60%. It might fill at end of day as theta falls but I feel reasonably good if I do not get filled price holds tomorrow. But waiting is worse than watching the underdog make garbage points against the spread.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 13th, 2022 at 12:50:11 PM permalink

link to original post

So I got stuck in a gamma squeeze. Falling below my upper strike so I did the following:

Sold a 25.00 call and bought the 25.50 back for a net credit of 0.27.

So my net debit is now .56 - .27 or 0.29. If she stays above 25 my ROI is now 72% but a lesser $210. I probably should have just sold it all out for that profit now that I think about it but I just could not get filled.
DRich
DRich
January 13th, 2022 at 1:24:32 PM permalink

I am not bad at buying stocks. I AM bad at selling them!

The story of my million dollar net worth to now.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 14th, 2022 at 1:13:18 PM permalink

link to original post

So I got stuck in a gamma squeeze. Falling below my upper strike so I did the following:

Sold a 25.00 call and bought the 25.50 back for a net credit of 0.27.

So my net debit is now .56 - .27 or 0.29. If she stays above 25 my ROI is now 72% but a lesser $210. I probably should have just sold it all out for that profit now that I think about it but I just could not get filled.
link to original post

She held above 25. Tonight 1,000 shares will be bought and sold. $210 not a huge amount but making sure you do not lose is the key to this game is avoiding losses and living to trade another day. Plenty of time to max a few trades.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
January 17th, 2022 at 1:51:02 AM permalink

China's increasingly tight restrictions due to Covid and the possibility that they will impose another lockdown is creating fear of further disruptions in the global supply chain

I think if the supply chain suffers even more I believe there's a chance the markets will take a big hit

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/15/business/china-economy-challenges-zero-covid-omicron-intl-hnk/index.html

SOOPOO
SOOPOO
January 22nd, 2022 at 12:51:50 PM permalink
Anyone notice I post far more infrequently here during these big market down times than when it was going up?

Now up just 129% from inception.

Total value down 8% from November high. I think this would qualify as a ‘correction’ over the last two months. I hope it is done correcting!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 22nd, 2022 at 2:31:13 PM permalink

Anyone notice I post far more infrequently here during these big market down times than when it was going up?

Total value down 8% from November high. I think this would qualify as a ‘correction’ over the last two months. I hope it is done correcting!
link to original post

Indeed the market has not been as fun lately. Nor has crypto, Luckily bear markets end sooner or later.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 9th, 2022 at 3:16:08 PM permalink

link to original post

Indeed the market has not been as fun lately. Nor has crypto, Luckily bear markets end sooner or later.
link to original post

As may be noticed, I tend to post here more on up days! Back to up 136%. ATH is plus 149%. So it’s down around 5% from ATH in November. I have to admit I have no idea which way market will go. All governors now are ending coronavirus restrictions which should be a bonus to the markets. But I’ve been wrong before…

I’ve not been paying as much attention to stocks recently as I’ve been working on the online sports betting. Which makes little actual sense….
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 9th, 2022 at 4:48:12 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

As may be noticed, I tend to post here more on up days! Back to up 136%. ATH is plus 149%. So it’s down around 5% from ATH in November. I have to admit I have no idea which way market will go. All governors now are ending coronavirus restrictions which should be a bonus to the markets. But I’ve been wrong before…

I’ve not been paying as much attention to stocks recently as I’ve been working on the online sports betting. Which makes little actual sense….
link to original post

It is going to be the fed not the virus in 2022. IMHO anyhow. It is why I left the mortgage and title business after 18 years.

Get off Transit Rd and get the management at XXII getting things moving! They are finally selling their VLN smokes. She could pop from the $2s to $8 if some of the analysts are to be believed. I was making a killing on covered calls on that one last summer.

I tell you again, check out BROS.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
February 18th, 2022 at 2:41:51 AM permalink

stupid stock market reporting from The Washington Post
the Dow closed yesterday at 34,312.03
the drop is only 1.8%

this is their screaming headline on The Front Page of today's online edition

DRich
DRich
February 18th, 2022 at 11:03:14 AM permalink
I see SpaceX is doing a 10 for 1 split. I wonder if that means they will be going public soon?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 18th, 2022 at 2:01:15 PM permalink

I see SpaceX is doing a 10 for 1 split. I wonder if that means they will be going public soon?
link to original post

Why would they do a split if they are not public?
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
February 18th, 2022 at 7:16:08 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Assuming it will go public soon enough. I’m guessing $56 looks better on an IPO rather than $560. Cosmetic.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 19th, 2022 at 2:58:56 AM permalink
Quote: TDVegas

link to original post

link to original post

Assuming it will go public soon enough. I’m guessing $56 looks better on an IPO rather than $560. Cosmetic.
link to original post

The point is if they are not public there is no stock to split.
unJon
unJon
February 19th, 2022 at 3:57:32 AM permalink

Quote: TDVegas

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

The point is if they are not public there is no stock to split.
link to original post

Sure there is. And many people own it.
  • Jump to: