Thread Rating:

TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
Joined: May 14, 2012
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 437
September 7th, 2012 at 8:39:10 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

I think that the theory is that if you become rich after rising from humble beginnings,
You have a better ability to relate to those in the lower sociology-economic strata,
Than someone born into wealth and privilege.



Obviously he could not help that he was born into a wealthy family- although it's been widely reported that Romney gave away his inheritance. Frankly if I was in his position, I wouldn't have done that- as I suspect most people wouldn't have. But he did. Again, my question is, why does all of this "relating" matter? Heaven forbid, if I needed heart surgery, I couldn't care less if I could relate to the surgeon- but I would care if he/she could get the job done.
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
thecesspit
thecesspit
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
  • Threads: 53
  • Posts: 5936
September 7th, 2012 at 8:42:41 AM permalink
I'm still waiting to see a list of election promises that will be broken by both sides, rather than sniping of whose in touch....
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
RonC
RonC
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
September 7th, 2012 at 8:45:25 AM permalink
When you play over 100 rounds of golf in less than four years while presiding over an economy with >8% unemployment and huge numbers of people dropping off unemployment into another category (not becoming employed; becoming discouraged workers), you might be out of touch...

Seriously...if you think EITHER one of the two candidates is "IN TOUCH" you are out of touch yourself.

This isn't about being "in touch"; it is about who will do the best job leading us moving forward.

It isn't about tax returns or birth certificates or individual wealth.

You may like one or the other candidate based on where they want to take us and you may have an opinion about their leadership abilities. Just don't let yourself become sidetracked in the bullcrap about "in touch" or "birth certificates"...that is just one side trying to say "Don't look at me...look at them"....
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
September 7th, 2012 at 8:49:18 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

I think that the theory is that if you become rich after rising from humble beginnings,
You have a better ability to relate to those in the lower sociology-economic strata,
Than someone born into wealth and privilege.

Keep in mind that when Mitt was living in France converting the French to Mormonism, he had to sell off some of his father's stock portfolio to make ends meet! Life was hard!
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
FinsRule
FinsRule
Joined: Dec 23, 2009
  • Threads: 119
  • Posts: 3667
September 7th, 2012 at 8:54:23 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

When you play over 100 rounds of golf in less than four years while presiding over an economy with >8% unemployment and huge numbers of people dropping off unemployment into another category (not becoming employed; becoming discouraged workers), you might be out of touch...

Seriously...if you think EITHER one of the two candidates is "IN TOUCH" you are out of touch yourself.

This isn't about being "in touch"; it is about who will do the best job leading us moving forward.

It isn't about tax returns or birth certificates or individual wealth.

You may like one or the other candidate based on where they want to take us and you may have an opinion about their leadership abilities. Just don't let yourself become sidetracked in the bullcrap about "in touch" or "birth certificates"...that is just one side trying to say "Don't look at me...look at them"....



I was okay with the amount of vacations Bush took during the various crisis that occurred while he was in office, just as I am okay with Obama playing a round of golf every other week.

I read something that said Obama actually spends time with his family instead of at meaningless "networking" type events. Some are horrified at that, I like it.

"Obama doesn't have time to fill out an NCAA bracket, he needs to fix the economy!" Doesn't matter who is in the White House, I'm okay with them spending 30 minutes filling out a bracket.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 8:55:59 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

One of my favorites: When you hire a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s), that may help promote the myth that you're out of touch.



So having a hard time getting a building permit makes you out of touch?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
September 7th, 2012 at 9:42:06 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

So having a hard time getting a building permit makes you out of touch?

No, of course not! Why would anyone think that hiring a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion vacation home in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s) is anything but commonplace. Heck, just last week, I had to hire a lobbyist to get a certificate of occup.. oh wait, I did that myself.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 10:03:00 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

No, of course not! Why would anyone think that hiring a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion vacation home in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s) is anything but commonplace. Heck, just last week, I had to hire a lobbyist to get a certificate of occup.. oh wait, I did that myself.



I still don't get it. This upsets you why?

Yet Obama keeps bragging about how much money he makes but that is ok?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
September 7th, 2012 at 10:14:17 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Quote: s2dbaker

No, of course not! Why would anyone think that hiring a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion vacation home in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s) is anything but commonplace. Heck, just last week, I had to hire a lobbyist to get a certificate of occup.. oh wait, I did that myself.



I still don't get it. This upsets you why?

Yet Obama keeps bragging about how much money he makes but that is ok?

Why does that upset you? You seem apoplectic and irrational about all of the money that Obama brags about making. Why do you hate wealth and success?
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
rxwine
rxwine
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
  • Threads: 166
  • Posts: 9655
September 7th, 2012 at 10:14:29 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Yet Obama keeps bragging about how much money he makes but that is ok?



What quotes of Obama are you referring to?
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?

  • Jump to: