Thread Rating:

MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 310
  • Posts: 6775
September 7th, 2012 at 7:54:03 AM permalink
Out of touch or not, rich or not, what really matters is one's leadership ability.

History will judge Reagan and Clinton as successful; Bush-lite and Carter as failures, primarily for this reason.

Sad thing is, we'll never know who can rise to fill the office until they're elected and installed.
"What, me worry?"
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
Joined: Dec 10, 2010
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 878
September 7th, 2012 at 7:55:08 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

When you tell a person whose home is flooded from hurricane Isaac to go home and call 211 for help, that promotes the belief that you're out of touch. When you tell NASCAR fans in clear plastic rain gear that it looks like they sure spent a fortune on their rain gear, it makes you look a bit out if touch. I could go on.



I'm lucky to be a stay-at-home mom, and it is hard work as Anne Romney said.

Just try doing it AND going out to a paying job as well. Arranging and paying for child care, missing baseball games and school events, etc. That's the reality for most women.

Plus telling people to start a business by borrowing money from your parents? How about paying for your parents' condo fees as well as your own expenses is more like it.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 8:02:50 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Because they aren't out of touch, just rich



So you are saying the ones who never held a job in the real world are not out of touch but the one who spent most of his private life there; meeting payrolls while building and saving companies somehow is out of touch?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
September 7th, 2012 at 8:03:03 AM permalink
One of my favorites: When you hire a lobbyist to secure permits for your car elevator at your proposed 11,000 square foot beachfront mansion in La Jolla for your wife's Cadillac(s), that may help promote the myth that you're out of touch.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
WongBo
WongBo
Joined: Feb 3, 2012
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2126
September 7th, 2012 at 8:08:43 AM permalink
AZ, you can stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.
All I said is that the two people you mentioned are not "out of touch".
I didn't make any comment about your beloved Willard.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 8:12:57 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

When you tell a person whose home is flooded from hurricane Isaac to go home and call 211 for help, that promotes the belief that you're out of touch. When you tell NASCAR fans in clear plastic rain gear that it looks like they sure spent a fortune on their rain gear, it makes you look a bit out if touch. I could go on.



Lets do! I'll blatantly plagarize Jeff Foxworthy.......


If you tell a guy who wants to start a business that he needs to spread the wealth around, you might be out of touch......

If you go to a church where the reverand says, "Not God Bless Americs, God (deleted) America!" loud and proud, you might be out of touch

If you tell people they didn't build their business, someone else did that, you might be out of touch

If you think the leading issues for women are free abortions and birth control, you might be out of touch

If you think tax increases spur the economy, you might be out of touch

If you think the private sector is doing well in a period of >8% unemployment, you might be out of touch

If you cannot remember that you are a Christian instead of a Muslim in a TV interview, you might be out of touch

If you tell the people you have to negotiate with to "sit in the back of the bus" then call them obstructionists, you might be out of touch

If you think people can survive without an ID in the USA, you might be out of touch

Anyone, feel free to add to it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 8:16:42 AM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

I'm lucky to be a stay-at-home mom, and it is hard work as Anne Romney said.

Just try doing it AND going out to a paying job as well. Arranging and paying for child care, missing baseball games and school events, etc. That's the reality for most women.



Simple answer here--live smaller. Go back to the size houses we had pre-1980s. Have one family car, used, not two. Vacation close to home, not at Disneyworld. Kids share rooms. Few organized kids activities, learn to play in the neighborhood.

Oh, and avoid divorce and out-of-wedlock births. Both destroy you economically.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 8:18:44 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

AZ, you can stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.
All I said is that the two people you mentioned are not "out of touch".
I didn't make any comment about your beloved Willard.



Not meaning to imply you did, just questioning why rich=out of touch and why being rich is somehow implied to be a bad thing.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
WongBo
WongBo
Joined: Feb 3, 2012
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2126
September 7th, 2012 at 8:27:57 AM permalink
I think that the theory is that if you become rich after rising from humble beginnings,
You have a better ability to relate to those in the lower sociology-economic strata,
Than someone born into wealth and privilege.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
Joined: Dec 10, 2010
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 878
September 7th, 2012 at 8:34:58 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Simple answer here--live smaller. Go back to the size houses we had pre-1980s. Have one family car, used, not two. Vacation close to home, not at Disneyworld. Kids share rooms. Few organized kids activities, learn to play in the neighborhood.

Oh, and avoid divorce and out-of-wedlock births. Both destroy you economically.



I'll be sure to tell my b-i-l to live even smaller so his wife can stay home. Or maybe he can take a second job so she doesn't have to work! I sure cops on the night shift have plenty of free time to work during the day!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.

  • Jump to: