Thread Rating:

MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
Joined: May 1, 2012
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 770
September 7th, 2012 at 1:43:32 AM permalink
Fact check: President Obama lays claim to peace dividend that doesn't exist during DNC speech

Read more

More fun fact checking from Associated Press

Yet more fact checking with the Washington Post
RonC
RonC
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
September 7th, 2012 at 6:13:43 AM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

Fact check: President Obama lays claim to peace dividend that doesn't exist during DNC speech

Read more

More fun fact checking from Associated Press

Yet more fact checking with the Washington Post



I can't wait to see the responses to these articles. They are actually worse for President Obama than I thought they would be...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 6:40:35 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

Quote: MonkeyMonkey

Fact check: President Obama lays claim to peace dividend that doesn't exist during DNC speech

Read more

More fun fact checking from Associated Press

Yet more fact checking with the Washington Post



I can't wait to see the responses to these articles. They are actually worse for President Obama than I thought they would be...



Yeah, but didn't someone on the board say something about Bin Laden still being dead?


BTW: 4 times as many people quit looking for jobs last month than new jobs were created. How long until one person working supports the entire nation? Any math guys here want to do a "fun" projection assuming no dynamics?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 310
  • Posts: 6775
September 7th, 2012 at 7:03:27 AM permalink
People correctly criticize Obama for promising much yet delivering little.

Fair enough; Mel Brooks may have said "It's good to be the King!", but it's a damned tough act to pull off successfully.

Romney is a cold fish: a wooden, somewhat out of touch rich kid; he seems not to have a clear plan.

For him to succeed, he'll need to surround himself with capable people, learn to lead and hope for luck.

To me, neither is optimal, or really palatable.

As a people we really should offer up better candidates than this.

Bah.
"What, me worry?"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 7:18:15 AM permalink
Quote: MrV



To me, neither is optimal, or really palatable.

As a people we really should offer up better candidates than this.

Bah.



If you have ever had to hire someone to fill a job you know that after you make your dram-list of qualifications in the end you have to hire who walks in and applys. This is true from a person who mops the floor right up to POTUS.

I think Romney has good leadership expedrience and knows how to lead a team. Obama never had to do anything but campaign, which is why we see the results we are seeing.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
Joined: May 14, 2012
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 437
September 7th, 2012 at 7:20:26 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Romney ...somewhat out of touch rich kid; .



This is definitely the impression a fair number of people have of him- whether it's really true or not is debatable but not the point of my question- which is: why does that matter to people? Is the thinking that he has to have experienced certain problems in order to spearhead productive policy changes? Or that if he "isn't one of us" then he "won't give us free stuff?" Frankly, I want someone who's not the average Joe or Jane, for that matter- and I could care less if they relate to me. But I do care about solving the country's unemployment and debt problems and the state of the economy. Is being rich a negative toward doing those things?
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11758
September 7th, 2012 at 7:22:55 AM permalink
Quote: TheBigPaybak

This is definitely the impression a fair number of people have of him- whether it's really true or not is debatable but not the point of my question- which is: why does that matter to people? Is the thinking that he has to have experienced certain problems in order to spearhead productive policy changes? Or that if he "isn't one of us" then he "won't give us free stuff?" Frankly, I want someone who's not the average Joe or Jane, for that matter- and I could care less if they relate to me. But I do care about solving the country's unemployment and debt problems and the state of the economy. Is being rich a negative toward doing those things?



What I do not get is you keep hearing Obama brag about how much money he has and makes (Hilary and other Dems as well) yet they are not thought of as "out of touch rich guys (gals.)"

Why is this?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
WongBo
WongBo
Joined: Feb 3, 2012
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 2126
September 7th, 2012 at 7:31:22 AM permalink
Because they aren't out of touch, just rich
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
TheBigPaybak
TheBigPaybak
Joined: May 14, 2012
  • Threads: 14
  • Posts: 437
September 7th, 2012 at 7:35:23 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What I do not get is you keep hearing Obama brag about how much money he has and makes (Hilary and other Dems as well) yet they are not thought of as "out of touch rich guys (gals.)"

Why is this?



There seems to be a threshold after which point, you're "too rich"- unless you're someone like Warren Buffet but you get the picture...

In the top-ten wealthiest of Congress, 7 are Democrats. Kerry's loaded. Pelosi's loaded. And I don't care that they are, but man, what a double-standard...
Lack of prior planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
September 7th, 2012 at 7:45:09 AM permalink
When you tell a person whose home is flooded from hurricane Isaac to go home and call 211 for help, that promotes the belief that you're out of touch. When you tell NASCAR fans in clear plastic rain gear that it looks like they sure spent a fortune on their rain gear, it makes you look a bit out if touch. I could go on.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez

  • Jump to: