rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 4th, 2013 at 7:16:03 PM permalink
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
November 4th, 2013 at 7:19:15 PM permalink
Also, I doubt you would accuse Obama of not watching the polls carefully during all that since the right likes to see him as unprincipled.

I'm sure he knew what the polls were indicating and why he didn't have to give in.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
November 4th, 2013 at 7:33:56 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

They did the equivalent of putting a gun to America's head with the government shutdown AND debt ceiling.

Actually, the ones who do that are the gay marriage terrorists. They put a gun to the head of anyone who disagrees with them.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 4th, 2013 at 10:37:35 PM permalink
Speaking of racism: White Democrat refuses to shake hands with Black Republican

Sounds like Dems are just as racist as the Tea Party. ;)
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 5th, 2013 at 3:18:47 AM permalink

They did the equivalent of putting a gun to America's head with the government shutdown AND debt ceiling. They could have found a smaller target instead of the whole country.

Polls indicate they lost on that idea.

Since Obama refused to negotiate at all, didn't he as well "put the gun to America's head?"

BTW: So little of the government was shut down people barely noticed. A lot of what was in fact shut down was intentionally public as Obama threw his little hissy-fit because he actually was being forced to deal with congress. He can find money to put traffic cones up to block a road shoulder? Seriously?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 5th, 2013 at 4:02:34 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Since Obama refused to negotiate at all, didn't he as well "put the gun to America's head?"

A Continuing Resolution extends the current budget until a majority of the House and Senate and the President can find a compromise. You don't put policy that you want that all three entities can't agree upon into the CR. If you purposely put policy into a CR then you are defeating the purpose of a CR and it is no longer a CR; it is a piece of legislation.

BTW: So little of the government was shut down people barely noticed. A lot of what was in fact shut down was intentionally public as Obama threw his little hissy-fit because he actually was being forced to deal with congress. He can find money to put traffic cones up to block a road shoulder? Seriously?

If you don't want the government to shut down, then don't shut down the government by jamming policy into a CR. Some on your side have learned that valuable lesson and some clearly have not.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
November 5th, 2013 at 4:02:51 AM permalink

The shutdown? Didn't even notice it here in Southeast Texas. Sequester? No impact.

Both are results of the President's refusal to negotiate seriously on any issue. He is President and nothing else matters in negotiations. Sure, the Republicans get blamed by the press. Who cares? The press has, to date, been so busy having a tingle up their leg about the President that less and less people believe what they say.

Funny thing is that the guy could have avoided this whole nightmare for people who are trying to get Obamacare by negotiating the one year extension, getting the web site fixed so it worked well right before next year's elections, and enjoying all the credit for a brilliant move.

Instead, he has picked and chosen things in the sequester and shut down for psychological impact. He kind of has the bully thing down. The cop was wrong... Can't have White House tours... Blah, blah, blah. Great leaders lead; poor leaders bully.
RonC
RonC
November 5th, 2013 at 4:07:18 AM permalink
The last I looked, there was no restriction on what could be put in a CR. There is no rule saying that the CR has to be agreeable to all and that it can't be used in an attempt to force someone to negotiate.

Why are we having all these CR's anyway? Is it another sign of the President's inability to work with Congress and actually pass a budget?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 5th, 2013 at 4:10:42 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

The last I looked, there was no restriction on what could be put in a CR. There is no rule saying that the CR has to be agreeable to all and that it can't be used in an attempt to force someone to negotiate.

Why are we having all these CR's anyway? Is it another sign of the President's inability to work with Congress and actually pass a budget?

True, there is no rule forbidding anything in the CR. In the most recent CR, there was over 2 billion dollars of public works projects for the Ohio River. But all three entities (House, Senate and President) agreed to it. So if you don't want the government to shut down, you don't put things into the CR that all three can not agree to. It's really very simple to understand.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 5th, 2013 at 4:21:29 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

True, there is no rule forbidding anything in the CR. In the most recent CR, there was over 2 billion dollars of public works projects for the Ohio River. But all three entities (House, Senate and President) agreed to it. So if you don't want the government to shut down, you don't put things into the CR that all three can not agree to. It's really very simple to understand.

So you are going to have this same attitude next time Obama demands a tax increase as part of a budget deal like he did a few years back?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 5th, 2013 at 4:26:47 AM permalink

So you are going to have this same attitude next time Obama demands a tax increase as part of a budget deal like he did a few years back?

If Obama demands a tax increase in a CR and all three entities can not agree to it, then yes, that will be my attitude. You should bookmark this comment and put it in your sig line. (of course it will never happen).
RonC
RonC
November 5th, 2013 at 5:09:28 AM permalink

It is very simple to understand.

Some folks took a stand against Obamacare saying that it was not ready for prime time. They could not force the President to negotiate as he is unwilling to compromise on anything, and they decided to go ahead and let a CR pass. There was a little pain during the shut down, but it was mostly caused by the President shutting down things for political impact and not out of necessity.

A few short weeks later, the President looks like a total buffoon when his signature program cannot be joined by the millions he says it will help. In fact, maybe six or so can join on the first day. The whole things is a mess and has a political cost to him that negates the way the press blamed the Republicans for the shut down.

He missed a huge opportunity there--he could have negotiated a bit, delayed Obamacare until the web site was fixed and in line with other delays he has granted, and seized the political win for both items. He had to know the web site was a disaster OR he was just ignoring everything people told him about it. No real stress testing was done. He is tone deaf.
wroberson
wroberson
  • Threads: 19
November 5th, 2013 at 6:40:01 AM permalink
I just finished watching the Untold history of the United States. It's by Oliver Stone and 10 hours long. I really liked the 1st 4.5 hours' I'm a big fan of WWII. Big fan.

It's on showtime on demand.
Buffering...
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 5th, 2013 at 6:58:30 AM permalink
I think I was enjoying Mission's version of "whatever" more than the Obama-bashing. *yawn* :)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 5th, 2013 at 7:01:40 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Speaking of racism: White Democrat refuses to shake hands with Black Republican

Once again you admit the Tea party is racist.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 5th, 2013 at 7:40:16 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think I was enjoying Mission's version of "whatever" more than the Obama-bashing. *yawn* :)

The thing that really gets on my nerves are people who expect to pay the same price for something as whatever they paid before...

Hotel Guest: I stayed here before and I remember it being about $40 less.

Mission146: I'm looking for you in the computer, sir, but I'm not seeing anything. When was this?

Guest: I don't know, 2002, 2003, maybe.

146: That explains it, we didn't have this Hotel Operations System, then. 2002, you say? I remember 2002, I'm thinking gas was $1.79/gallon in 2002. Now, say I go down to the old Smith station I always stopped at when I was in High School, and I say, "Hey, I used to come to this gas station all the time in 2002, and I remember only paying $1.79/gallon, think you can do something for me? Now, I ask you, do you think I'm getting gasoline for $1.79/gallon?"

I mean, really...
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 5th, 2013 at 7:48:46 AM permalink

It is very simple to understand.

I'm glad that you agree.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 5th, 2013 at 7:52:40 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

The thing that really gets on my nerves are people who expect to pay the same price for something as whatever they paid before...

Just as bad is people who think what they should pay should somehow be based on their status in life.

"I'm a retired person on a fixed income."
"I'm a single mother!"
"I've been coming in here for years!"

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Now, if I see someone is less well off I might do a little on the price. But for the most part when you go to buy something the margin for the seller is not all that great. Your "status" has no effect on the cost the vendor is paying for it or needs to make for himself to live on. In some cases, to give the person with a "status" a discount means losing another sale at full price.

Where did all of this get started?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 5th, 2013 at 8:23:23 AM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

Once again you admit the Tea party is racist.

Apparently you don't understand what a *wink* is or the meaning of 'sarcasm'. But anyway, if I just admitted that the Tea Party is racist, then you just admitted that Dems are, too. ;)
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 5th, 2013 at 8:38:46 AM permalink

Apparently you don't understand what a *wink* is or the meaning of 'sarcasm'. But anyway, if I just admitted that the Tea Party is racist, then you just admitted that Dems are, too. ;)

That's not the way it works but if it makes you happy to think so then go for it.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 5th, 2013 at 8:44:25 AM permalink

That's not the way it works but if it makes you happy to think so then go for it.

Um...that was my whole point to the guy I was responding to. Duh!
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 5th, 2013 at 9:19:58 AM permalink

Where did all of this get started?

I don't know. I understand haggling, anytime I deal with a customer, we almost always haggle on the rate. If someone takes the first rate I offer them it is either because they are:

A.) Rich.

B.) An idiot.

or

C.) Both A and B

I clearly have no problem with haggling, I both expect to and enjoy haggling. However, there's a big difference between that and paying the rate you paid in 2002.

Another thing is the traveler coupons. Bottom line rates in those. I am not fond of about 30% of the coupon people.

Here's the thing: They come in with the coupon book held behind their back, under their shirt, or tucked under their arm like they're doing something smooth. Couple things:

A.) You look like an idiot. If I see you approaching the building, as you are walking in, when you open the door and expose what is under your arm, I am ALWAYS looking for that book.

B.) They want to conceal the coupon book to reveal it if you quote something higher, or to take the lower offer if you make one...which I won't.

C.) They expect that there should always be a coupon room available. There's not. The cheapest rooms are the first to go.

D.) If there is not a coupon room available, they believe I am obligated to rent ANY room at that price. I have rooms in the hotel that are literally 2.5x the price of the coupon rate. I'm not giving you one of those rooms for the coupon rate. I understand that you've basically told me, "I need a place to stay, and I don't have any money," and I'm going to try to work with that, but you're not getting my best suite for the coupon rate!

E.) The same people that expect me to rent them a room at the coupon price, even if such a room is unavailable, and believe I am obligated to do so are the same people who CANNOT READ the part of the coupon where the terms work against them. Specifically, 1-2 people in the room. Not two adults and two kids, not a dog, not a zebra, not four adults...1-2 PEOPLE. It's a room with one bed, I can't put more than two people in that room because such would violate the fire code based on the square footage of that room.

"Oh, well, it's just me and my four kids, so you should give us a room with two beds for the same price."

"No, I shouldn't. The coupon says 1-2 PEOPLE and one bed, so what would make you think a room with two beds is the same price? Have you ever looked at a grocery coupon that says, 'Buy one get one free,' and think that means you get to pay for one item, but take seven of them?"

/Rant

Not a good subject for me, shouldn't have gotten myself started.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 5th, 2013 at 9:40:07 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I clearly have no problem with haggling, I both expect to and enjoy haggling. However, there's a big difference between that and paying the rate you paid in 2002.

Funny that. Thing is some people seem to be willing to work as cheaply as they did then, or cheaper!

When I bought my house I had to get a termite report. Realtor had a list to call and I just picked a smaller outfit. Now, when I was in the termite business 1994-2002 we got $75-100 for these reports. They took just a few minutes work but the potential liability is huge. Or as the old line goes, "You are not paying me for the 30 minutes I spend here, you are paying for my years of experience and all the equipment I need to do the job, my insurance, etc."

So what did I pay for the report? About $60! Yes, less than I charged 10 years ago!

And people wonder why I never went back into that business.
RonC
RonC
November 5th, 2013 at 11:19:19 AM permalink
The President is now telling lies about his lies...we've had enough (those who have opposed him from the start)...the questions is--When will smart people who supported him from the start begin to demand that he stop lying?

http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/05/obama-denies-you-can-keep-it-videotaped-promises/

How much is enough for you?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 5th, 2013 at 11:23:33 AM permalink

The President is now telling lies about his lies...we've had enough (those who have opposed him from the start)...the questions is--When will smart people who supported him from the start begin to demand that he stop lying?

I could make a joke about the 10 words right after the "--" but will leave it at that. He has fallen below 40% in Gallup today, so we might be getting to the point where even the Cult of Personality supporters are upset at his lies. Or maybe they found out there is no such thing as "free health care?"
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 5th, 2013 at 11:35:12 AM permalink

When will smart people who supported him from the start begin to demand that he stop lying?

Probably never.

It reminds me of the whole Clinton saga 15 years ago.
—First, Clinton supporters screamed, "Republicans are lying! There was no relationship with Monica!!!!"
—Then, after it was proven that he DID, they said, "OK, so he had a relationship with Monica, but he didn't lie under oath!!!!"
—But again, after it was proven that he DID lie under oath, they then said, "But his lie wasn't material to the case!!!!"

...as if these idiots spoke lawyer-ese and knew what 'material' meant!

In any case, it's a different president today, but the blind supporters are still the same. Whenever they are proven wrong, they will just shift the goal posts until they are out of the stadium. (And even then they still won't care!)
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
November 5th, 2013 at 11:38:32 AM permalink

Probably never.

It reminds me of the whole Clinton saga 15 years ago.
—First, Clinton supporters screamed, "Republicans are lying! There was no relationship with Monica!!!!"
—Then, after it was proven that he DID, they said, "OK, so he had a relationship with Monica, but he didn't lie under oath!!!!"
—But again, after it was proven that he DID lie under oath, they then said, "But his lie wasn't material to the case!!!!"

...as if these idiots spoke lawyer-ese and knew what 'material' meant!

In any case, it's a different president today, but the blind supporters are still the same. Whenever they are proven wrong, they will just shift the goal posts until they are out of the stadium. (And even then they still won't care!)

Yep and yep and yep. He spooged on her dress, how much more evidence does one need.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 5th, 2013 at 11:40:02 AM permalink

How much is enough for you?

You've got him for three more glorious years. Enjoy :)
rxwine
rxwine
November 5th, 2013 at 11:55:09 AM permalink

The rightwing has been making up lies about him as soon as he was the Democratic nominee for President, and they've never stopped since.

They clearly don't have a problem with lies, depending on what the lies are.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 5th, 2013 at 11:58:38 AM permalink

The rightwing has been making up lies about him

Yeah, the "right wing" is so good, they got Obama to use the "You can keep your health plan" line. LOL!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 5th, 2013 at 12:02:08 PM permalink

Yeah, the "right wing" is so good, they got Obama to use the "You can keep your health plan" line. LOL!

29 times, that's how many times he said it. Now
all the major media is reporting this story daily
and it's just started. When the majority of people
find out not only are they paying 2 to 3 times as
much for less coverage, but they also might lose
their doctor, the crap hitting the fan will be non stop.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 5th, 2013 at 12:20:51 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

...the crap hitting the fan will be non stop.

I would love to be wrong about this, but I have no faith in Obama voters. They'll still vote Dem after Hillary promises to "fix" things. The O-bots are no different from the old Clinton apologists back in the 90's.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 5th, 2013 at 12:23:10 PM permalink

When the majority of people
find out not only are they paying 2 to 3 times as
much for less coverage, but they also might lose
their doctor, the crap hitting the fan will be non stop.

It's a good thing then that the majority of the people won't ever find that out since that's completely untrue.
For example, I have better coverage starting January 1st and for more than 10% less that what I pay now.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 5th, 2013 at 12:29:16 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

But Obama bashing is so much fun. Gallup has
him down to 39% today as he spins more lies
to cover the lies he already told. I know, us
Obama bashers all were tin foil hats and go
on political rants, but there's just so much to
work with here. And so much more to come.

Rubbing my hands with glee, like an old hermit
with too much time on his hands..
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 5th, 2013 at 12:29:23 PM permalink

It's a good thing then that the majority of the people won't ever find that out since that's completely untrue.
For example, I have better coverage starting January 1st and for more than 10% less that what I pay now.

You and five other people signed up it seems?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 5th, 2013 at 12:29:55 PM permalink

The rightwing has been making up lies about him as soon as he was the Democratic nominee for President, and they've never stopped since.

And some examples of these lies, please?
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 5th, 2013 at 12:31:43 PM permalink

I have better coverage starting January 1st and for more than 10% less that what I pay now.

And I have a duck that quacks sideways and
does card tricks. About as provable as what you
said..
RonC
RonC
November 5th, 2013 at 12:33:02 PM permalink

It's good to see someone gloating over their idiot having three more years to screw things up worse than he already has done.

I know, I know. A conservative lied once so it is okay for everyone else to do it. What a crock of crap.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 5th, 2013 at 12:39:52 PM permalink

Look around the country. The takers get fantastic coverage now. The makers just get SCREWED.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 5th, 2013 at 12:40:39 PM permalink

A conservative lied once so it is okay for everyone else to do it. What a crock of crap.

I seldom watch Hannity, but it's just too good
lately. Last night some Dem wank tried to mention
something Bush said in 2002 in defense of Obama
and Hannity told him to shut up, no more blaming
Bush, and he wouldn't let the guy talk. That's all
they ever have, blame Bush. It's like dealing with
4th graders.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 5th, 2013 at 12:42:48 PM permalink

I seldom watch Hannity, but it's just too good
lately. Last night some Dem wank tried to mention
something Bush said in 2002 in defense of Obama
and Hannity told him to shut up, no more blaming
Bush, and he wouldn't let the guy talk. That's all
they ever have, blame Bush. It's like dealing with
4th graders.

EB, that isn't fair to 4th graders.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 5th, 2013 at 12:49:55 PM permalink
Someone better tell Atlas that he needs to shrug.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 5th, 2013 at 12:56:42 PM permalink

It's good to see someone gloating over their idiot having three more years to screw things up worse than he already has done.

Three more glorious years and you know what? He's your President. Ha!
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 5th, 2013 at 12:59:06 PM permalink
RonC
RonC
November 5th, 2013 at 12:59:59 PM permalink

Three more glorious years and you know what? He's your President. Ha!

No, three more glorious years and he won't be our President. Thank God for term limits--his idiot supporters might elect him again if they weren't unable to do so!!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
November 5th, 2013 at 1:03:17 PM permalink

No, three more glorious years and he won't be our President. Thank God for term limits--his idiot supporters might elect him again if they weren't unable to do so!!

Our bench is deep. Get ready for eight years of glorious Hillary Hilarity. And you know what? She'll be your President too.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 5th, 2013 at 1:10:35 PM permalink

Our bench is deep. Get ready for eight years of glorious Hillary Hilarity. .

This pic of Hill was taken in April, I'm sure by 2016
she'll look much more presidential. When she's 70.
Poor Bill..

petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 5th, 2013 at 1:12:07 PM permalink
It seems everybody has a preference for who is screwing them? Have you seen this?

http://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
November 5th, 2013 at 1:13:05 PM permalink

Our bench is deep.

It's so deep that your best hope is an old fossil from 23 years ago?!?! lol
EvenBob
EvenBob