Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
December 19th, 2013 at 8:30:58 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

When did I ever advocate that the government step in to protect Robertson from A&E? *facepalm* That's your side's tactics, not mine.

The Robertson's should protect Mr. Robertson.

The question is, "Will they?"

If these people are genuine, they will scrap the entire thing in defense of their kin and their beliefs.

But, proving that nothing on TV is genuine, they will not.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 19th, 2013 at 8:31:14 AM permalink
Not a lot going right for me today. Read this post and wondering what I would do if I happened to come upon that wacko religious group that protests veteran burials. What bible are they reading ? Imagine some parents burying their son or daughter who died protecting the rights of these religious idiots to protest their funeral.

I would probably forget to insult them and hope one of them threw the first blow. Judges always rule violence is not the proper response. Just go straight to mayhem, maybe leaving tire iron under front seat. Maybe not !

Not traveling far to do it, but if I knew ahead of time the wackos were gonna protest within a couple hundred miles, I am sure Josie would understand. And pray for a low bail.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 19th, 2013 at 8:37:20 AM permalink

When did I ever advocate that the government step in to protect Robertson from A&E? *facepalm* That's your side's tactics, not mine.

When did I ever advocate that B9 wants the govt to step in???? Drink some coffee and get back to me.
I am on my side. Hmm, just 1 individual independent on my side , me of course.
This is a business decision by a private company. I think we can agree on that.
Neither you or me believe in govt intervention in this case. My sides tactics, me as an individual, agrees with you. No govt intervention in this case.
By the way, do you consider this a news story? Maybe back page of Variety
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
December 19th, 2013 at 8:45:47 AM permalink
Quote: Face

The Robertson's should protect Mr. Robertson.

I actually agree. Conservatives need to step up to the plate instead of letting the liberal gestapo run wild.

It reminds me of what liberals did to that poor Miss USA contestant a few years ago who simply stated (in response to a question!) that she thinks "marriage should be between a man and a woman". Liberals acted like she was John Wayne Gacy or something.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
terapined
terapined
December 19th, 2013 at 8:58:05 AM permalink

I actually agree. Conservatives need to step up to the plate instead of letting the liberal gestapo run wild.

It reminds me of what liberals did to that poor Miss USA contestant a few years ago who simply stated (in response to a question!) that she thinks "marriage should be between a man and a woman". Liberals acted like she was John Wayne Gacy or something.

Totally agree with you on this, Conservatives must demand that every private company on the planet consult with them on every single decision. Lol.just kidding

cmon, only thing that works in this case is to vote with your eyeballs. Dont watch A and E. Free market society baby. Deal with it.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 9:13:41 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

cmon, only thing that works in this case is to vote with your eyeballs. Dont watch A and E. Free market society baby. Deal with it.

I love how you use this argument only when it suits you. LOL!

What will really impress me is when you use this same argument to defend a Christian photographer who doesn't want to shoot a gay wedding. But that will never happen because you're pretty selective in how you apply this argument. Kinda like with political polls.

Pro-Obama poll: *silence*
Pro-Democrat poll: *silence*
Pro-gay poll: *silence*
Pro-abortion poll: *silence*
Pro-gun control poll: *silence*
Pro-Obamacare poll: *silence*
Pro-Hillary poll: *silence*

Pro-Republican poll: "It's biased! It's biased! IT'S BIASED!!! The pollster doesn't know how to conduct polls! Argh!!!!!!!!!"
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 9:21:53 AM permalink

Hate to burst your bubble about the "objective" mainstream media, but here's a study by Pew:

Quote:

"Then, in the final week (October 29 to November 5), a noticeable change occurred: Obama’s coverage improved dramatically while Romney’s coverage stayed about the same but shrank in volume.

That week, fully 29% of the Obama stories were positive compared to 19% which were negative, a net plus of 10 points. That was the best week Obama had seen since the week of the Democratic National Convention in early September; the final week also marked only the second week of the general election when Obama was the subject of more positive stories than negative.

Romney’s coverage in that final week slipped slightly, but not by a significant amount. That week, 16% of his stories were positive compared to 33% that were negative, a difference of 17 points."

Nah, the media isn't biased at all! *facepalm*

All pretty meaningless to me. Gibberish. Context please???????
How is positive and negative determined?????
% of what??????????
cmon B9, pretty weak. 1 site, 5 publications, everything on the planet reported.

Wow, this perfectly illustrates what I just said in my last post. lol!
terapined
terapined
December 19th, 2013 at 9:25:15 AM permalink

I love how you use this argument only when it suits you. LOL!

What will really impress me is when you use this same argument to defend a Christian photographer who doesn't want to shoot a gay wedding. But that will never happen because you're pretty selective in how you apply this argument. Kinda like with political polls.

Pro-Obama poll: *silence*
Pro-Democrat poll: *silence*
Pro-gay poll: *silence*
Pro-Obamacare poll: *silence*
Pro-Hillary poll: *silence*

Pro-Republican poll: "It's biased! It's biased! It's BIASED!!! The pollster doesn't know how to conduct polls! Argh!!!!!!!!!"

1st off, the gays demanding a christian photographer should get somebody else. They are kind of being a-holes about this. Why hire somebody that doesn't want to be there. He's just gonna do a crummy job. They should get somebody else that doesn't mind shooting a gay wedding, in the end they will get better pictures.
As for silence on the polls. Cmon, I cant live here. If you in the poll that you specifically stated you wanted me to reply. Sure I will reply. But if its there for the whole forum, why pick on me? Tons dont respond.
Now I have lived here the last hour, leaving for awhile, so if you post a poll, I wont respond.
Det Prendergast is calling me. Read the books? Lovem
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
December 19th, 2013 at 9:33:06 AM permalink

But if its there for the whole forum, why pick on me? Tons dont respond.

Name one other person who speaks out against pro-Republican polls but remains silent on polls that are pro-Obama, pro-Democrat, pro-gay, pro-Hillary, etc.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
December 20th, 2013 at 3:26:13 AM permalink

Hey Sarah, don't like A&E decision, don't watch Duck Dynasty.

Hey, Rahm, don't like the views of a Chick-Fil-La owner, don't eat there.

Oh, wait. Rahm said because he didn't like it then nobody in Chicago could eat there either.

When liberals want your opinion they will give it to you.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
terapined
terapined
December 20th, 2013 at 4:14:09 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Hey, Rahm, don't like the views of a Chick-Fil-La owner, don't eat there.

Oh, wait. Rahm said because he didn't like it then nobody in Chicago could eat there either.

Wow, we totally agree AZ. Cool.
If Rahm doesn't like chickafil, he doesn't have to eat there. Absolutely. Freedom to eat where ever you want to.
Palin doesn't have to watch A and E if she disagrees with the suspension.

People are free to eat where they want and people are free to watch what they want.

Its about freedom of speech and freedom of business owners to say what they want and suspend who they want.

Freedom baby, love it. so cool we agree.
Face
Administrator
Face
December 20th, 2013 at 6:16:06 AM permalink

You know, I've always thought it a little extreme when you've made comments like this about libs or gays or whatever.

But OMG. I just met one. And I've never wanted to headbutt a woman in the face so badly. The screaming and crying she's doing over the DD issue is abhorent and reprehensible. It is perfectly satirical, yet she's 100% sincere. The hypocrisy, hate, and bigotry she spews in the direction of people who she claims are...hypocrites, hateful, and bigoted... go figure... is nothing short of amazing. I wish with all of my being that I could suss out screen capture technology and paste all of her tirades here, if for no other reason than misery loves company and it would tilt everyone here - gay, straight, lib, conservative, everyone.

As someone who tries to portray some new age, peace loving hipster, there's is only one adjective for her - militant. Agree with her, or your life is forfeit. Tolerance is not an option, only complete and unconditional acceptance and support will sate her. It is amazing.

Thank god she's the extreme minority. I still think you grouping them all together is extreme, but at least now I realize your belief isn't unfounded. She's the flip side of the same coin and doesn't realize the other side is Westboro Baptist. She is what she hates. A-maz-ing.

I can't stand to read another word... yet I can't look away XD
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
December 20th, 2013 at 9:05:18 AM permalink

+10
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
January 4th, 2014 at 1:50:50 PM permalink
Since this is the thread that the Wizard gave us to complain about "whatever else is bothering you", did anybody else read about that idiot Seattle woman named "Beautiful Existence" who ate nothing but Starbucks food for a year? Talk about s2pid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532122/Starbucks-super-fan-eats-breakfast-lunch-dinner-coffee-chain-day-YEAR-costing-700-month.html

It says nothing about her political affiliation, but I can almost guarantee that she's a big time lib.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 4th, 2014 at 2:52:08 PM permalink
Quote: DailyMail

Beautiful Existence, who legally changed her name...

Quote: Beethover9th

It says nothing about her political affiliation, but I can almost guarantee that she's a big time lib.

It says nothing about her PhD, but I can almost guarantee it's something for which the only job one could get for it, is teaching it.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 20th, 2014 at 3:24:01 PM permalink

Since this is the thread that the Wizard gave us to complain about "whatever else is bothering you"...

<rant mode>

So tilted right now, drives me batshit crazy every time...

I tore my calf Friday. This ain't my first rodeo. I know it's torn. I know it's my calf. I know my knee structure is totally uninvolved. I know my achilles is right as rain. I. Tore. My. Calf.

I have to go to the doctors because I don't have the knowledge on A) what I can do to promote swift recovery, and B) what I absolutely shouldn't due that will put me at risk for surgery. So I go.

This ain't my first walk around this particular block, so I'm ready. "What seems to be the problem?". I tore my calf. No question, no uncertainty, I just bleeding tore it. "How did you injure your leg?" Not my leg, not injure. Calf, and it's torn. I do this schpiel, plus the whole medical history, 3 times for the receptionist, nurse, then doctor. In the doctor portion, I turn it up a notch.

It felt like I was kicked and it went completely numb. Please note that I was not kicked nor struck in any way. This is not a blunt force trauma, it's just how it felt. I have no pain from the bottom of my calf to my heel (to rule out achilles). I have no pain in the knee (to rule out ACL/PCL). I can fully support weight, I have range of motion. I can flex this way, this way, and this way. I just can't flex this way cause it's torn right here (I point to the tear). I have no bruising. All my toes and my foot have complete sensory reception and have not been unusually cold nor tingly (to rule out blood clot). I hammer all of this right into her face so she knows, without a doubt, that the guy sitting in front of her knows what is and isn't wrong, wants 3 minutes of information, a goddamn pair of crutches, and that's it.

70 minutes later, after the achilles check, after the ACL/PCL check, and after the blood clot check (lot of damn good my schpiel did, huh?) she says it sounds like it's torn (you don't say?) but it also might be a clot so I need to go for an ultrasound which closes almost immediately and is way the other side of the county. Yay!

45 minutes later on the other side of the county, I go through my whole "I'm gonna say a bunch of stuff so you can rule stuff out, which you will promptly ignore again" schpiel, which is, of course, promptly ignored. For the 5th time (5th!) I go through the exact same list of retarded questions, the same disregard of my input, the same pointless tests to rule out stuff it absolutely is not and could not be.

5 hours and 80 miles later, I walk out with my crutches and my "info". "Use it when you can, stop when it hurts". 5 minutes of care, 4 hours, 55 minutes and 80 miles of bureaucracy.

I'm going to start seeing a veterinarian instead.

</rant mode>
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 20th, 2014 at 3:42:49 PM permalink

They have crutches at Goodwill for 10 bucks.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
January 20th, 2014 at 3:44:14 PM permalink
We live in a litigious society. Need I say more?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 20th, 2014 at 3:57:34 PM permalink
I have had exactly this injury, Face, and it's a bitch. It can heal on its own over about 6-10 weeks on crutches, or they can go in laproscopically and re-attach the tear with minimal invasion if they can pinpoint the location. I did the self-heal, and got back about 90% use, but stopped playing tennis as a result (it was a lateral move that caused the tear) and I could feel it trying to re-injure even after stretching. It's going to suck for your hockey/soccer/basketball/baseball playing for the same reason; it will always pull when you make the type of move that tore it, and scare you into backing off. Sorry.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 20th, 2014 at 4:05:49 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

but stopped playing tennis as a result

A torn muscle like this has stopped a lot
of people from playing golf and tennis.
I think it's what made Doyle Brunson
stop playing all those golf games he
always won.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 20th, 2014 at 4:18:57 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

They have crutches at Goodwill for 10 bucks.

I guess they have them at Rite Aid, too. I did not know that 7 hours ago.

Quote: 1BB

We live in a litigious society. Need I say more?

I tell ya, when I come to power....

Quote: beachbumbabs

I have had exactly this injury, Face, and it's a bitch. It can heal on its own over about 6-10 weeks on crutches, or they can go in laproscopically and re-attach the tear with minimal invasion if they can pinpoint the location. I did the self-heal, and got back about 90% use, but stopped playing tennis as a result (it was a lateral move that caused the tear) and I could feel it trying to re-injure even after stretching. It's going to suck for your hockey/soccer/basketball/baseball playing for the same reason; it will always pull when you make the type of move that tore it, and scare you into backing off. Sorry.

6 to 10 weeks?! Oh, lawd Jesus!

We're 10-3-2, defending champs. Game on Wednesday and every weekend after. Travel tourney to Michigan 2/13. Come home and head right into playoffs. Right after playoffs is another tournament, and then straight into race season (a lot of clutch work). And about the time the race season enters its final quarter, hockey season fires back up.

My next scheduled "rest session" is probably May. Of the year 2035 =/
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
January 20th, 2014 at 4:31:50 PM permalink
When I tore my ACL I knew exactly what happened. They still made me wait 3 hours to take an x-ray to tell me I didnt break my leg. No shit.

<rant mode>

So tilted right now, drives me batshit crazy every time...

I tore my calf Friday. This ain't my first rodeo. I know it's torn. I know it's my calf. I know my knee structure is totally uninvolved. I know my achilles is right as rain. I. Tore. My. Calf.

I have to go to the doctors because I don't have the knowledge on A) what I can do to promote swift recovery, and B) what I absolutely shouldn't due that will put me at risk for surgery. So I go.

This ain't my first walk around this particular block, so I'm ready. "What seems to be the problem?". I tore my calf. No question, no uncertainty, I just bleeding tore it. "How did you injure your leg?" Not my leg, not injure. Calf, and it's torn. I do this schpiel, plus the whole medical history, 3 times for the receptionist, nurse, then doctor. In the doctor portion, I turn it up a notch.

It felt like I was kicked and it went completely numb. Please note that I was not kicked nor struck in any way. This is not a blunt force trauma, it's just how it felt. I have no pain from the bottom of my calf to my heel (to rule out achilles). I have no pain in the knee (to rule out ACL/PCL). I can fully support weight, I have range of motion. I can flex this way, this way, and this way. I just can't flex this way cause it's torn right here (I point to the tear). I have no bruising. All my toes and my foot have complete sensory reception and have not been unusually cold nor tingly (to rule out blood clot). I hammer all of this right into her face so she knows, without a doubt, that the guy sitting in front of her knows what is and isn't wrong, wants 3 minutes of information, a goddamn pair of crutches, and that's it.

70 minutes later, after the achilles check, after the ACL/PCL check, and after the blood clot check (lot of damn good my schpiel did, huh?) she says it sounds like it's torn (you don't say?) but it also might be a clot so I need to go for an ultrasound which closes almost immediately and is way the other side of the county. Yay!

45 minutes later on the other side of the county, I go through my whole "I'm gonna say a bunch of stuff so you can rule stuff out, which you will promptly ignore again" schpiel, which is, of course, promptly ignored. For the 5th time (5th!) I go through the exact same list of retarded questions, the same disregard of my input, the same pointless tests to rule out stuff it absolutely is not and could not be.

5 hours and 80 miles later, I walk out with my crutches and my "info". "Use it when you can, stop when it hurts". 5 minutes of care, 4 hours, 55 minutes and 80 miles of bureaucracy.

</rant mode>

EvenBob
EvenBob
January 20th, 2014 at 4:35:04 PM permalink

We're 10-3-2, defending champs. Game on Wednesday and every weekend after.

A torn calf muscle takes quite some time to
heal and even with that, is very prone to re-injury.
Everybody who's had one says if you use it
too soon you'll make it worse and worse. I
guess you'll find out.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 20th, 2014 at 5:24:12 PM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

When I tore my ACL I knew exactly what happened. They still made me wait 3 hours to take an x-ray to tell me I didnt break my leg. No shit.

Totally know what you mean. Some things you just know. Anything musculoskeletal I've always diagnosed 100% correct 100% of the time. If I have neurological issues, fine. I'll hear you out and submit to your MRIs. But when my finger's pointing the wrong way or the middle of my bone is poking through my skin, I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong. Wrap that shit and let me get out of here! Drives me nuts...

I
guess you'll find out.

/sigh. You know me well. It's ended poorly the last 500 times I've pushed it, but now I'm older, so it's sure to work this time =p
EvenBob
EvenBob
January 20th, 2014 at 7:33:02 PM permalink

but now I'm older, so it's sure to work this time =p

It could easily end very badly, you could tear
it to such a degree that you'll need surgery
and miss work and hobble around with a limp
for a year. But you would have showed yourself
what you're always trying to show yourself, that
you're certifiably nuts. Too bad you need so
much convincing.
Face
Administrator
Face
January 20th, 2014 at 7:46:16 PM permalink

It could easily end very badly, you could tear
it to such a degree that you'll need surgery
and miss work and hobble around with a limp
for a year. But you would have showed yourself
what you're always trying to show yourself, that
you're certifiably nuts. Too bad you need so
much convincing.

You had me at "miss work" ;)

EvenBob
EvenBob
January 20th, 2014 at 7:50:51 PM permalink
Which one of these guys is you, Face. You need to
watch Slap Shot again.

Face
Administrator
Face
January 21st, 2014 at 7:01:25 AM permalink

Which one of these guys is you, Face. You need to
watch Slap Shot again.

I'm always called Ogilthorpe. It's on account of the large afro I usually sport in the winter months and nothing to do with fisticuffs. I'm not a goon =p

Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 21st, 2014 at 8:24:43 AM permalink
A goon is a personal bodyguard or a thug or ruffian employed by a person or people as a personal enforcer. A goon typically intimidates, assaults, or batters people who oppose their employer.

I always preferred the term collector when I was collecting for bookies. I had short hair then. Had a similar hairstyle to Face's as a Chief Shop Steward for AT&T. Will try and post them. Different looks scare different people. LOL
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Face
Administrator
Face
January 21st, 2014 at 2:34:12 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

A goon is a personal bodyguard or a thug or ruffian employed by a person or people as a personal enforcer. A goon typically intimidates, assaults, or batters people who oppose their employer.

OK, then. I suppose by that definition, then I am a goon =p

Quote: Buzzard

I always preferred the term collector when I was collecting for bookies. I had short hair then. Had a similar hairstyle to Face's as a Chief Shop Steward for AT&T. Will try and post them. Different looks scare different people. LOL

Do it! If you post that, I'll post my Ogilthorpe 'fro =D

Back to healthcare bullshit, whenever I go to the doc's, she always asks me if I'm still smoking. The last time it went like this -

Doc - "Still smoking?"
Me - "Yeah. I think I'm gonna try an ecig"
Doc - "That's still addictive"
Me - "Yeah, but it's the habit I can't kick. I figure that's better than the 2,000 other chems in tobacco"
Doc - "You're right. Couldn't hurt"

That, what, 12 seconds of conversation?

I just recently noticed that on my bill, and every bill previous, I've been getting charged a $20 "Tobacco Disorder Consultation" fee.

Da fuq?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 4:12:16 AM permalink
What a dumb Coke commercial. Liberals eat this stuff up. I agree with what Allen West said:

"If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing "America the Beautiful" in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come — doggone we are on the road to perdition."

endermike
endermike
  • Threads: 7
February 4th, 2014 at 4:37:34 AM permalink
"English?!" that's the language of our colonial oppressors. We speak 'merican round here.
endermike
endermike
February 4th, 2014 at 4:42:49 AM permalink
On a more serious note, the music was excellent. The SB is far more than just a US obsession, it is watched worldwide, and the commercials from it are posted to the internet for general consumption within minutes of air. If you take that commercial as coke trying anything other than to position itself as a hug for everyone, you're directed in a rather cynical way.

Remember: "I would like to buy the world a coke..."
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 4:46:24 AM permalink
If you don't think Coke was trying to make a political/social statement by singing "America the Beautiful" (of all songs) in multiple languages and showcasing a gay couple, you're a little naive.
endermike
endermike
February 4th, 2014 at 4:54:16 AM permalink
Their goal is to increase their market share and convince people to buy more coke. A message of inclusiveness was exactly what they thought would bring them that.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 4th, 2014 at 5:02:55 AM permalink

If you don't think Coke was trying to make a political/social statement by singing "America the Beautiful" (of all songs) in multiple languages and showcasing a gay couple, you're a little naive.

I didn't even see it and am glad. It seems to be one more example of why I cut the cable cord and have attempted to disengage from all the pop-culture nonsense in this country. Live your own life, learn a few skills, tune out. You will be amazed how little you miss it.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 5:03:38 AM permalink
Quote: endermike

Their goal is to increase their market share and convince people to buy more coke.

That obviously wasn't their goal with this commercial. (If it was, then they failed big time.) For example, why couldn't they have chosen a different song to sing in multiple languages? There are plenty of other songs to choose from. Also, 45% of America disagrees with gay marriage, so how is showcasing a gay couple "inclusive" when almost half the country disagrees?

Like I said, Coke was trying to make a political/social statement. Even people who love the commercial can see that. Too bad you can't.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 5:07:12 AM permalink

It seems to be one more example of why I cut the cable cord and have attempted to disengage from all the pop-culture nonsense in this country.

That's good advice, AZ. Hell, the NFL itself is pathetic. They have no problem associating with liberal acts and will let libs like Jennifer Lopez own a team, yet they'll be damned to treat Rush Limbaugh the same way.

I'm getting fed up with pop culture in general.
endermike
endermike
February 4th, 2014 at 5:09:35 AM permalink
A statement can increase sales
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
February 4th, 2014 at 5:09:57 AM permalink

That obviously wasn't their goal with this commercial. (If it was, then they failed big time.) For example, why couldn't they have chosen a different song to sing in multiple languages? There are plenty of other songs to choose from. Also, 45% of America disagrees with gay marriage, so how is showcasing a gay couple "inclusive" when so many disagree?

Like I said, Coke was trying to make a political/social statement. Even people who love the commercial can see that. Too bad you can't.

The Coca-Cola Company considers themselves an international company more than an American one. Years ago the USA became just another sales and marketing territory. They do have one of the only products that needs next to zero modification for international sales, the product is even found in North Korea albiet in small, bootleg quantity. That they would choose an international theme is no surprise.

But do count me in on use another song. Remake "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" for crying out loud. Put in all the gay couples you like, I've been a Pepsi drinker since childhood.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 5:16:14 AM permalink

A statement can increase sales

Glad you agree now that it was a statement, not a "hug".

But do count me in on use another song. Remake "I'd like to buy the world a Coke" for crying out loud. Put in all the gay couples you like, I've been a Pepsi drinker since childhood.

"America the Beautiful" isn't as deeply significant for their international audience as it is for Americans. Why they chose that song is beyond me. (Actually, I do know why.....which is what infuriates me so much)
endermike
endermike
February 4th, 2014 at 5:18:09 AM permalink
their statement was "we want to hug you."

Are you actually offended or threatened by that commercial?
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 5:19:23 AM permalink

their statement was "we want to hug you."

Really? Where is that in the text? I don't recall that line in "America the Beautiful".

Also, I stated earlier that I felt it was a "dumb commercial".
endermike
endermike
February 4th, 2014 at 5:20:33 AM permalink
All the happy smiling people doing normal stuff was the allusion.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 5:22:10 AM permalink

All the happy smiling people doing normal stuff was the allusion.

You're the only one who sees it that way. Like I said before, even people who love the commercial think that Coke was making a political/social statement. Too bad you can't see what the rest of us do.
endermike
endermike
February 4th, 2014 at 5:23:07 AM permalink
Same reason car companies show attractive women in their ads. They want their target audience (males of a certain age) to associate their cars with something else attractive and attractive things help hold attention. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.
endermike
endermike
February 4th, 2014 at 5:23:55 AM permalink
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 5:24:48 AM permalink

Did you not read what I said earlier?

Also, I stated earlier that I felt it was a "dumb commercial".

endermike
endermike
February 4th, 2014 at 5:25:18 AM permalink
I feel it was effective.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 4th, 2014 at 5:27:12 AM permalink

Same reason car companies show attractive women in their ads. They want their target audience (males of a certain age) to associate their cars with something else attractive and attractive things help hold attention. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Are you really that naive to think that showcasing a gay couple is the same as showing an attractive woman?

Like I've said 3 times now, nobody agrees with you. Not even people who love the ad. Everyone (other than you) can see it was a political/social statement.

I feel it was effective.

I agree, it was very effective at revealing their motives.
  • Jump to: