12 votes (9.91%)
35 votes (28.92%)
74 votes (61.15%)

121 members have voted

mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
April 24th, 2021 at 4:01:52 PM permalink
Why are some fast food places by default putting Mayo on both top and bottom of a chicken sandwich. NOBODY needs that much damn mayo. Both McD and KFC for sure doing it.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 24th, 2021 at 5:28:12 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Why are some fast food places by default putting Mayo on both top and bottom of a chicken sandwich. NOBODY needs that much damn mayo. Both McD and KFC for sure doing it.

I always order my fast food sandwiches plain. That way you can put whatever you want on them.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
April 25th, 2021 at 8:39:31 AM permalink

What I don't get is why fast food places put pickles on fried chicken sandwich. I don't get that at all.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
TinMan
TinMan
  • Threads: 21
April 25th, 2021 at 9:18:20 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

What I don't get is why fast food places put pickles on fried chicken sandwich. I don't get that at all.

I really like the self order kiosks at McDs and other places. You can easily see exactly how something is made and customize as you like.
If anyone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 25th, 2021 at 11:15:10 AM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I Never ate chicken pieces on a bun or even bread until fast food came along. I may have had chicken salad sandwiches before then, but only remember tuna salad sandwiches.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 25th, 2021 at 11:32:28 AM permalink
I had either a dark turkey or dark chicken sandwich every school day for three years in HS. Mostly just sliced meat and Kraft BBQ sauce, at room temp after sitting in my locker for a few hours. Sometimes I'd just eat the meat and throw away the bread. Sometimes I'd have a pickle on the side.
I'd buy a couple of dollar chicken sandwiches from McDonalds or Wendy's for my dog every couple of weeks but I'm not a fan of fried chicken on a bun.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 25th, 2021 at 11:58:54 AM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

i glanced to my left and saw a boy leaning outside the passenger window with a bandana covering his face. His hands were behind the door. I made my right turn and u turned but he was too far away. A cop flashed his lights that i was driving too fast.

Read this three times and have no idea what you're talking about.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
April 25th, 2021 at 12:10:56 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Read this three times and have no idea what you're talking about.

15 years ago, i was driving, a white honda crv was on my left. i saw the passenger wearing a bandana over his face leaning outside the window. He was about to pull something out. But i made a right turn

It looked like he was kneeling on the seat with his upper body outside the window. But his hands were behind the door. I had just moved back into town.

Shootings seemed rare back then. Yesterday, I heard more than one shooting in a day when i turned on the scanner.

These stories have a morbid tone. Maybe not a good conversation topic.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Apr 25, 2021
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
May 4th, 2021 at 4:48:43 PM permalink
OK back to Vegas.

1) We are going to go to the Homestead restaurant at Caesars, and my wife doesn't think the clothes I have brought with me ( I do travel light ) are acceptable. I had a button down semi-casual shirt and a pair of slacks, not fancy, but not jeans, and certainly not going to wear shorts there.

I ended up "having to buy" a pair of dress pants at Walmart that I don't need. Aaarrrggghhh.

2) I'm not sure it is acceptable for a guy to question what the Mrs. is wearing, style-wise.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
DRich
DRich
May 4th, 2021 at 4:58:33 PM permalink
Quote: JohnnyQ

OK back to Vegas.

1) We are going to go to the Homestead restaurant at Caesars, and my wife doesn't think the clothes I have brought with me ( I do travel light ) are acceptable. I had a button down semi-casual shirt and a pair of slacks, not fancy, but not jeans, and certainly not going to wear shorts there.

I ended up "having to buy" a pair of dress pants at Walmart that I don't need. Aaarrrggghhh.

2) I'm not sure it is acceptable for a guy to question what the Mrs. is wearing, style-wise.

Any pants and a buttoned down shirt would be fine.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
May 4th, 2021 at 5:02:01 PM permalink

I ended up "having to buy" a pair of dress pants at Walmart that I don't need.

I’m guessing they weren’t Versace. What did they set you back at Walmart...$15 ?
Last edited by: Ace2 on May 4, 2021
It’s all about making that GTA
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
May 5th, 2021 at 3:45:40 AM permalink
I think about $ 20, and you are right, NOT Versace ! I ended up being dressed nicer than most, but not all, at the restaurant.

The pants I like to wear in Vegas and most other places now are the Wrangler very lightweight quickdry "travel pants", they have a zippered pocket on the front side of the leg, so I feel like my wallet is more secure there.

Yep, those are also available at Walmart. I don't know if Versace makes one or not.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
May 9th, 2021 at 9:45:49 AM permalink
I was working with a worker that we suspected of burglaries. I left my key on the table for half an hour. The valet key was taken off the key ring. She quit to work for a gas station and got convicted of embezzlement. I saw her working at another restaurant. They closed down within a year. Internal theft is so prevalent. I wouldn’t even open a liquor store.

A collegiate athlete friend/ fitness trainer would brag in his 30’s that he was a burglar during high school. I told my bookkeeper that the new driver reminds me of him like they are related. The driver has a fake case against us. Ex state prosecutor in his 60’s said that he has never seen a case like ours his whole career. I showed up for the deposition of opposing witness. In the questioning, he reveals that he is related to someone with the same last name as my ex friend. This name is not common. I saw a change in his demeanor when he said the name like embarrassment. He stole a trophy at an awards ceremony. It was for national achievement in engineering. He has it above his fireplace.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on May 9, 2021
rxwine
rxwine
May 9th, 2021 at 10:57:08 AM permalink
Pet peeve.

Cars that don't pull up close enough in a turn lane to trigger the inductive loop detector.. Or they give too much space to a motorcycle sitting at the front of a turn lane, when usually a motorcycle won't trigger the turn light by itself if it's not in the right spot. Some roads have a helpful marker for it. But you can bet for sure it's not a dozen feet back from the line even if it doesn't!!
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
May 15th, 2021 at 11:12:33 AM permalink
One of our maintenance men ( he had a drug problem that made his jaw move involuntarily side to side) complained to our bookkeeper that he used to work under the ac tech that we use. He said that the ac tech “cheats.” Dad stopped using that ac tech 7 yrs ago for another reason, overcharging. $900 to replace 20 feet of copper line set. $ 900 for warranty blower motor work. $500 for 15 min for pulley screws.

3 years ago , a friend /new ac tech said that the freezer heat strip was directly connected to power. I found myself 2 more ac’s with the same prob and also blowers running 24 hr with bypassed thermostats. And freezer compressors were directly connected to power. Only fan in loop with thermostat. We changed freezer motors every 2 weeks. I found a whole shrimp stuck deep in the evap drain pipe when i blew out the line from the downstream side. The water would turn to ice and break motors and blades.

I found 240 connected to 120 leads of transformer and 48 volt leads connected to 1 side of thermostat and ground of air handler casing. My friend said that he was getting shocked working on the unit. I texted him what i found.

Ac co installed a new condensing unit. It is 50 amp instead of 30 amp connected to a 30 amp breaker. It would trip. I had to up to 50 amp breaker switch and from 10 to 6 gauge wire. No ac co told me. I had to do it myself. One mentioned that whoever installed it “didnt do yall any favors.” Didnt explain why.

I recall an uber driver felt insulted when i said that ac techs are fraudulent. Most ppl dont run multiple restaurants and rental property. Have no idea what is happening.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on May 15, 2021
EvenBob
EvenBob
May 15th, 2021 at 11:32:43 AM permalink

I found 240 connected to 120 leads of transformer and 48 volt leads connected to 1 side of thermostat and ground of air handler casing. My friend said that he was getting shocked working on the unit. I texted him what i found.

Which third world country do you live in, refresh my memory. Contractors and maintenance people will always rip you off. The best thing to do is join a local church. Doesn't matter if your religious or not. Get to know people and find out who does the kind of work you're looking for. If they belong to your church they are far less likely to rip you off because if you catch them it will ruin their standing in the church. This is a time-tested way of finding reliable people.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
May 15th, 2021 at 11:38:51 AM permalink
I was born in Texas and lived here my whole life.

My uncle was a christian author in south korea where christianity is dominant.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on May 15, 2021
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
May 21st, 2021 at 11:36:12 AM permalink
I used an incognito window and googled my handle. Things I have written online here, youtube, and other places are printed up on weird websites. Often, you can see the text, but if you click on the page, it's not there and it's some bs one way or another. Try it with your user name or someone else's if yours is too common.
I am a robot.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
June 16th, 2021 at 2:58:19 PM permalink

Which third world country do you live in, refresh my memory. Contractors and maintenance people will always rip you off. The best thing to do is join a local church. Doesn't matter if your religious or not. Get to know people and find out who does the kind of work you're looking for. If they belong to your church they are far less likely to rip you off because if you catch them it will ruin their standing in the church. This is a time-tested way of finding reliable people.

I used every major ac in town except 2. One was sarcastic. Other is new. I forgot that there iis one that i dont recall ever having a bad experience.

I save alot anyway. We cant afford it. One of our restaurant competitors charge almost double. He must pay alot of maintenance bills

The new co has been next door for over 2 weeks in the past 6 weeks installing a new building. Must be having problems.

Shortage of techs: I heard from a source that one of the big co in texas are training illegals. They can buy stuff under a licensed co. I saw some techs being trained by a co under our property management co. They wouldnt answer back to lead tech giving orders.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Jun 16, 2021
rxwine
rxwine
June 17th, 2021 at 6:20:15 AM permalink

One of our maintenance men ( he had a drug problem that made his jaw move involuntarily side to side) complained to our bookkeeper that he used to work under the ac tech that we use. He said that the ac tech “cheats.” Dad stopped using that ac tech 7 yrs ago for another reason, overcharging. $900 to replace 20 feet of copper line set. $ 900 for warranty blower motor work. $500 for 15 min for pulley screws.

3 years ago , a friend /new ac tech said that the freezer heat strip was directly connected to power. I found myself 2 more ac’s with the same prob and also blowers running 24 hr with bypassed thermostats. And freezer compressors were directly connected to power. Only fan in loop with thermostat. We changed freezer motors every 2 weeks. I found a whole shrimp stuck deep in the evap drain pipe when i blew out the line from the downstream side. The water would turn to ice and break motors and blades.

Ac co installed a new condensing unit. It is 50 amp instead of 30 amp connected to a 30 amp breaker. It would trip. I had to up to 50 amp breaker switch and from 10 to 6 gauge wire. No ac co told me. I had to do it myself. One
mentioned that whoever installed it “didnt do yall any favors.” Didnt explain why.

I recall an uber driver felt insulted when i said that ac techs are fraudulent. Most ppl dont run multiple restaurants and rental property. Have no idea what is happening.

If you didn’t file complaints with the Texas department of license and regulations, then you should of.

I believe my parent’s house might have burned down from a faulty air conditioning install.
rxwine
rxwine
June 17th, 2021 at 6:26:28 AM permalink
Did they ever determine the cause of that big plant explosion in Texas a couple years ago. Now some big grease making plant just burned to the ground there.
rxwine
rxwine
June 18th, 2021 at 7:36:16 AM permalink
I was looking at my mini-iPad storage and app size. Why does the golderrn Walmart app need 260mbs?!

I deleted it.

It’s more the principle of the thing, than I need the storage back.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Mission146
June 18th, 2021 at 8:40:51 PM permalink
The impossible whopper has to be about the worst tasting item I’ve been dumb enough to try. So gross. It will probably scar me from ever trying a fake meat product again.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
Dieter
June 19th, 2021 at 4:06:27 AM permalink

The impossible whopper has to be about the worst tasting item I’ve been dumb enough to try. So gross. It will probably scar me from ever trying a fake meat product again.

It's pretty disgusting; it tastes almost exactly like a Whopper.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Mission146
June 19th, 2021 at 6:44:33 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

It's pretty disgusting; it tastes almost exactly like a Whopper.

Ha ha.

Realistically though, fast food quality is usually so unreliable, I wouldn’t say anyone knows what an item could really taste like until they’ve tried it multiple times.

I occasionally like an egg McMuffin, but I’ve received them in all kinds of less than acceptable conditions. The last one I took back as the bottom bun was harder than my teeth.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
Thanked by
Mission146
June 19th, 2021 at 7:54:21 AM permalink
My stomach really did not agree with it regardless of taste, probably not used to all the crap it’s made out of and hadn’t ate fast food in a month or so either. Didn’t get like food poisoning type sick but could not eat anything rest of day despite only having consuming about 12-1300 calories for the day.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2021 at 4:52:59 PM permalink
I hate dishwashers. We never had a dishwasher growing up and I was never around one till I was in my 20's. The first thing I noticed was they aren't really labor-saving devices, you spend just as much time arranging and rearranging and then rearranging that till you get it just right. They could have washed the dishes in the time it takes to load the dishwasher. What a dishwasher really is, it's a place to hide dirty dishes. That became obvious to me. Just stick it in the dishwasher you worry about it who knows when. Then you go to get a certain pan that you want to use and that's right. It's in the dishwasher dirty from last night.

I don't have one now, haven't had one in 20 years, never going to get one. I wash all my dishes immediately when I'm done eating, pots and pans, everything. Everything is totally cleaned up as soon as I finish dinner. Doesn't take that much time. Like most women my wife will not live without a dishwasher, it's a deal breaker.
Keeneone
Keeneone
June 25th, 2021 at 5:14:59 PM permalink
Living without a dishwasher is easy with one or two people. But they are definitely a time saver with larger family sizes. They also help after gatherings and get togethers. They also save water.
https://cascadeclean.com/en-us/about-cascade/rethink-the-sink/
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2021 at 5:18:45 PM permalink
Quote: Keeneone

Living without a dishwasher is easy with one or two people. But they are definitely a time saver with larger family sizes. They also save water.

That's why God invented children, to do the dishes. For the water they save they waste a hell of a lot of energy. My wife's dishwasher runs for at least 30 minutes. And it's so damn loud, I have never heard a quiet dishwasher.
Keeneone
Keeneone
Thanked by
petroglyph
June 25th, 2021 at 5:23:22 PM permalink

That's why God invented children, to do the dishes. For the water they save they waste a hell of a lot of energy. My wife's dishwasher runs for at least 30 minutes. And it's so damn loud, I have never heard a quiet dishwasher.

You can get an "expensive" quiet dishwasher for a grand, a child will cost much more over the years.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 25th, 2021 at 8:16:10 PM permalink
I also feel that doing dishes by hand keeps you in touch with your cooking. If you fry something in a pan and it sticks to the pan, you're doing something wrong. The only time I wish I had a dishwasher is when I have to clean the food processor. I hate that.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
June 29th, 2021 at 8:45:39 AM permalink
Notice, other passenger doesnt want to show himself, ex worker/gang member. They only got refrigerant and welding gas. We recovered the trailer with a torn tire from the tire lock

https://streamable.com/1ry7kc

News said 4,000 or 1 of 82 are gang in town
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Jun 29, 2021
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
June 29th, 2021 at 9:35:53 AM permalink

15 years ago, i used to jog on this trail. I saw a group of 10 beating up someone in the parking lot. I called 911. After the call, i noticed that everyone was circled around 2 fighting. Just before the cops arrived, everyone got into a truck and left just as the police car passed them. I told dispatch that i only see 1 cop and there are 10 suspects. Later, i realized that this must be a gang initiation ritual. The next day, i was in walgreens, a person put his hands together with palms up looking at me. Another customer placed a pile of groceries on top of my groceries and arms. I think that theyve never forgot. At the moment of calling 911, I thought i saw a real crime in progress in a family popular place. A father and 5 yo walked past these ppl.

I recently realized that all our gang problems began around the period of that incident for the last 15 years. Graffiti etc. 15 years ago, i recall a cop called the gang unit to take photos of wall high grafitti. Patrol cop said that it looks like it “means something.”

Separate incident
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Jun 29, 2021
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
June 29th, 2021 at 12:48:28 PM permalink
My current pet peeve is persons who hi-jack a thread to post all the hard-knock stories that comprise their life.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
Thanked by
Hunterhill
June 29th, 2021 at 12:59:22 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

My current pet peeve is persons who hi-jack a thread to post all the hard-knock stories that comprise their life.

If thats your opinion. Another forum member requested that i have my own thread. I thought ppl wanted to hear.

It may boil down to the semantic definition of “pet peeve.”
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
Thanked by
gordonm888
July 4th, 2021 at 5:14:02 AM permalink
People who stop at the bottom of escalators.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
July 9th, 2021 at 11:20:41 AM permalink
A few days ago, I heard a gunshot for the 20 something time. Its daylight. I drive down a long stretch of road catching up to the car. He stops but goes through 2 red lights. I go through both. I get his plate # for the record. Innocent bystanders have been shot in their home at least twice. A salesman told our class that the drive bys are everyday. Every time, i turn on the scanner i hear drive bys. Its not the worst place in the world. But an uptick in crime.

Today, an employee threatened to send someone for me. Great. After i told her to leave bc she was an hour late. Relief has priority. Whenever a friend or stranger wants to open a restaurant or bar with or without me. There are better businesses to own. Restaurant employs the seediest part of society. We had a manager that was prostituting herself on the clock. We had a couple workers selling drugs on the clock. One forced the cashier to do part of the transaction. They no longer works for us.

Anyone with restaurant experience knows that many health code infractions happen like not washing hands. Leaving frig open overnite. I took 20 min cleaning fryers this morning because no one was cleaning.
Last edited by: jjjoooggg on Jul 9, 2021
Ace2
Ace2
July 13th, 2021 at 3:07:52 PM permalink
Whenever I have to call customer service, they are "experiencing higher than normal call volume". It seems every company has been saying this for many years now. And I only call for an issue that can't be handled online
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 13th, 2021 at 4:47:25 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Whenever I have to call customer service, they are "experiencing higher than normal call volume". It seems every company has been saying this for many years now. And I only call for an issue that can't be handled online

That and…. ‘Our call menu has recently changed….’
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
July 13th, 2021 at 7:58:35 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

People who stop at the bottom of escalators.

Yep. I was at some airport and a doofus crashed the wheelchair or stroller they were pushing at the end of a moving sidewalk. I jumped over the "railing". Mrs Q is not quite so athletic.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 15th, 2021 at 7:55:17 PM permalink
I have always had a pet peeve with these new LED light bulbs in that the light they emit is such a bright white. I have four of them in my house that are on 24/7 because my house was built in the1850s and they had fewer windows and smaller windows in those days. So even on a sunny day it's dark in a lot of places in my house. One of these LED bulbs finally went bad yesterday. They do not burn out like an incandescent bulb they either get dimmer and dimmer or they start blinking. This one started blinking like a strobe light.

Walmart has 60 watt LEDs 4 for $1 and I bought $5 worth a while back which is probably a lifetime supply cuz these things last for years. Much to my surprise the light coming from one of these bulbs is a soft shade of yellow just like from the old incandescent bulbs. It's really very nice. Ever see the inside one of these bulbs it's really complicated yet they can make it and sell it to Walmart and Walmart sells them for $0.25 each and still makes a profit. Amazing.

How do they make these for under 25 cents.

Ace2
Ace2
July 15th, 2021 at 8:28:26 PM permalink
Dimmers will solve the brightness issue. I installed several

As a side note, one reason to keep at least one incandescent flashlight is because sometimes you need to work on or read something very small. Incandescent is a much gentler light for that.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
July 17th, 2021 at 8:11:54 PM permalink
OK back to Pet Peeves:

( at the risk of possibly repeating myself from some other thread )

1) Groups of tourists who stand in a circle and practically block an entire passageway in a casino / hallway in the shops.

2) Tourists who completely ignore the WALK / DON'T WALK signs. They should have to drive a rental car on the Strip for 1 day to appreciate how stupid/rude/dangerous/aggravating this is.

3) $ 5 for a 20 oz bottle of soda from a vending machine ( BELLAGIO, etc ).

4) CAESARS constantly watering down the benefits for their DIAMOND level.

5) Cutbacks in Players Club staffing meaning ridiculously long waits.
DRich
DRich
July 18th, 2021 at 7:00:35 AM permalink

Mrs Q is not quite so athletic.

Trade her in for a newer model.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
July 18th, 2021 at 9:37:57 AM permalink

OK back to Pet Peeves:

I could not take the time to read through the previous huge numbers of peeves, so if I repeat some, I apologize:

1) People who exaggerate unnecessarily.

2) Deleted for now.

3) People who claim some kind of victimhood.

4) People who claim to be "offended" at just about anything.

5) People who debate a subject of which they have no knowledge.

6) Customer Service Reps (CSR's) who are rude or dismissive.

7) People who take out their own frustrations on CSR's.

8) People who blame others for their own mistakes or incompetence.

9) People who dodge or otherwise ignore valid questions or inquiries.

10) People who reply "no problem" to a "thank you" instead of "You're welcome."

11) People who constantly say "you know" after virtually every spoken clause or sentence.

tuttigym
Mission146
Mission146
Thanked by
odiousgambit
July 18th, 2021 at 9:48:42 AM permalink
Why do some people seem to hate, "No problem," so much? I've never understood that. I equate, "No problem," to, "It was something so trivial that you shouldn't have even felt the need to say, 'Thank you.'" What's wrong with that?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
Mission146
July 18th, 2021 at 10:32:55 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Why do some people seem to hate, "No problem," so much? I've never understood that. I equate, "No problem," to, "It was something so trivial that you shouldn't have even felt the need to say, 'Thank you.'" What's wrong with that?

Gratitude, from me or anyone else, is NEVER (emphasis) "trivial." For me, "no problem" is ignorant and/or rude. I guess for some it is hip or cool. Sometimes "old school" is always hip and cool.

tuttigym
Mission146
Mission146
July 18th, 2021 at 10:56:16 AM permalink
“No problem,” is old school.

Even, “It’s all good, bruh,” is probably dated now.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
Mission146
July 18th, 2021 at 11:01:53 AM permalink
on that subject, I dislike how some, maybe most, people say "no thank you" ... I leave out the comma on purpose

for some reason, it is often said as if the person meant a rebuke, as in "you shouldnt have offered me any coffee! No Thank You!" It's as if they can't hear themselves.

I take care, when I'm paying attention, to at least put the comma in there, a pause. I might put the last part first. I certainly try to take out any hint of rebuke.

It's 'no, thank you' people! with the comma!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Mission146
Mission146
July 18th, 2021 at 11:10:37 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

on that subject, I dislike how some, maybe most, people say "no thank you" ... I leave out the comma on purpose

for some reason, it is often said as if the person meant a rebuke, as in "you shouldnt have offered me any coffee! No Thank You!" It's as if they can't hear themselves.

I take care, when I'm paying attention, to at least put the comma in there, a pause. I might put the last part first. I certainly try to take out any hint of rebuke.

It's 'no, thank you' people! with the comma!

My fix:

Ex: “I don’t, but thank you (or thanks) for asking.”
  • Jump to: