Thread Rating:

DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
February 21st, 2012 at 10:00:24 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

My guess is you have never had a weight issue.

I lost 35 pounds about 3 years ago, my partner lost over 70 pounds during the same period. We have kept it off for 3 years and are both near our ideal weight. Our doctor is amazed that we took it off and kept it off saying that almost no one ever does that ... it took us about 40 weeks ... I did it through a combination of lifestyle & diet changes, my partner did it through a 12 step program ... our combined weight was over 390 pounds, it is now about 285 pounds. Shall I start a thread?

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
February 21st, 2012 at 10:01:17 AM permalink

Any counter offer I make would require me to break your rule... "no hedging"... and of course I wasn't offended.....
Perhaps I am misinterpretting HB's comments, but I think she is so confident in he ability to succeed at the 160.8 pound level that SHE would book more of your action at even money.

Talk about not hedging. You must confuse Hot Blonde with Dumb Blonde. Why lay even money with all that 9 to 1 money already in action ?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
February 21st, 2012 at 10:09:25 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Talk about not hedging. You must confuse Hot Blonde with Dumb Blonde. Why lay even money with all that 9 to 1 money already in action ?

Because no one now will give her 9 to 1. If she thinks she has a greater than 50% chance of success, then making that even money bet NOW, is a good bet. She must know she has a less than 1/2 chance of success or she would be jumping at that action. Remember, she stated she wanted to win 9000, and is around 3000 short at present.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1387
February 21st, 2012 at 10:13:50 AM permalink

Any counter offer I make would require me to break your rule... "no hedging"... and of course I wasn't offended.....
Perhaps I am misinterpretting HB's comments, but I think she is so confident in he ability to succeed at the 160.8 pound level that SHE would book more of your action at even money.

My commandment about "no hedging" was a generality, applying to situations of making a bad bet. For example, taking "even money" in blackjack. Yes, it locks in a win, but your expected return is higher taking your chances at the full 3-2 win. I'm all in favor of hedging if the hedge bet itself is a good bet.

HB doesn't seem interested in the in-progress wagering. I'll drop the subject until somebody approaches my window with a bet or a counter-offer.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 21st, 2012 at 10:14:57 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

I don't see what's wrong with revealing your intentions to someone up front. If I am marriage-minded, why would I want to date someone who isn't? Maybe you're thinking I'll be just looking for anything I can get but that's not true at all. I have raised my standards and will be a lot more pickier about who I date. I used to be open to going out with someone if I thought they were cute but I need more than that now. I actually have to know that they have a job, and a good one. I need to sense that they are on the right path in life as well and not some shlub (like pretty much all of my exes). I've got big dreams for myself and want to be with someone who's got big dreams as well.

Nope, not thinking that at all. And so you should be happy with who you date, and make sure you are compatible. I'm just saying that being ULTRA up front about marriage (over other things, like personality, hobbies, interests etc) would make me back off. I kinda of taken it as a given if I meet the right lady, we'd end up married or partner for life. It tends to come out early enough in conversations. But anyone stating "marriage minded" looks like this is the sole reason for their search. You stated it quite well "Maybe you're thinking I'll be just looking for anything I can get but that's not true at all". From my own experience, ladies who mention marriage early on, I respond to internally (naturally or otherwise) "well your just looking for the first guy who'll put a ring on your finger... ugh".

Quickly finding out of the don't want babies, and aren't looking for a life partner, seems reasonable. I'm just saying HOW you find out is the thing to be careful about, not the DO you find out.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
February 21st, 2012 at 10:15:40 AM permalink
In the word of one of the most successful betters I ever knew " I don't want nothing to do with an even bet " That's the difference between being a successful better and a gambler.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 110
February 21st, 2012 at 10:35:06 AM permalink
Quote: DorothyGale

Am I the only one who wonders at the obvious narcissism of this thread? Let's all talk about me for 40 weeks ...

--Ms. D.

I dont think anyone on here gives two shits about you. And no one wants to talk about a witch. Why don't you mind your own business?
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 21st, 2012 at 10:39:09 AM permalink
Dorothy Gale was not a witch, she was a little girl with red shoes and a dog named Toto.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 110
February 21st, 2012 at 10:40:49 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Dorothy Gale was not a witch, she was a little girl with red shoes and a dog named Toto.

Well her behavior says otherwise.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
DorothyGale
DorothyGale
  • Threads: 40
February 21st, 2012 at 11:02:17 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

You can toss me in a river and see if I float ...

Here are the main characters:

Dorothy Gale
Professor Marvel
The Wizard
Scarecrow
Cowardly Lion
Tin Man
Glinda (Galinda), the Good Witch of the North
Elphaba Thropp, The Wicked Witch of the West
Auntie Em
Toto

--Ms. D.
"Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness!"

• Jump to: