Thread Rating:

Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
October 3rd, 2012 at 3:19:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It seems like pig piling to me, for those of us
that have been here since first post.

Be careful Bob...calling HB names like that can get you suspended. It happened to me.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 3rd, 2012 at 3:25:59 PM permalink
Quote: Woldus

Be careful Bob...calling HB names like that can get you suspended. It happened to me.

Pigpile: A large number of people who have accumulated
on top of other people.

Urban Dictionary
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
October 3rd, 2012 at 3:32:36 PM permalink

Pigpile: A large number of people who have accumulated
on top of other people.

Urban Dictionary

Oh. Sorry - I thought...you know....
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 3rd, 2012 at 3:36:11 PM permalink
That will be quite enough of the obvious insinuations, please.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 3rd, 2012 at 5:26:22 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

But of course it was a very bad bet. That is, you were 99.9% certain to lose.

Really?

"99.9% certain to lose."

And you know this HOW?
"What, me worry?"
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
October 3rd, 2012 at 6:56:29 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Really?

"99.9% certain to lose."

And you know this HOW?

HB has a twin sister that is not obese???

The twin will show up at the weigh-in. HB will stay home and eat.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
sodawater
sodawater
  • Threads: 64
October 3rd, 2012 at 7:23:02 PM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: sodawater on Oct 1, 2018
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 3rd, 2012 at 7:33:52 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Will SOOPOO be allowed to take the twin sister to dinner, and if so what is the minimum-priced yummy entree she will accept?

HB wanted to go to a high end place that had a
sommelier, thats $100 for the cheapest bottle of
wine. With tip, Soopoo is looking at a $300-$350
tab, or higher. This seems a little on the high side,
considering he already gave HB almost 2 grand and
will probably never see her again.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
October 3rd, 2012 at 8:56:35 PM permalink
Let me just speak my mind here for a moment...not that I'm defending HB or anything, but just that the level of piling-on here has been quite ridiculous.

Now, I admit that HB has not exactly conducted herself in the exact specifications of a "lady" and that there are some shady things going on about here. And I am not in any way defending SOOPOO either, he has also done some questionable things. But really, have any of you met any of these people in person? Ever? And you're all passing this judgement and calling names and such and such? OMG.

Okay, I've restrained myself from posting something like this several times, but I guess it took about 2 or 3 whiskey-sodas to break down my barriers. It's kind of sickening.

Just, I mean just, don't be a dick. You don't know everything. That is all.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
October 3rd, 2012 at 8:57:16 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Let me just speak my mind here for a moment...not that I'm defending HB or anything, but just that the level of piling-on here has been quite ridiculous.

Now, I admit that HB has not exactly conducted herself in the exact specifications of a "lady" and that there are some shady things going on about here. And I am not in any way defending SOOPOO either, he has also done some questionable things. But really, have any of you met any of these people in person? Ever? And you're all passing this judgement and calling names and such and such? OMG.

Okay, I've restrained myself from posting something like this several times, but I guess it took about 2 or 3 whiskey-sodas to break down my barriers. It's kind of sickening.

Just, I mean just, don't be a dick. You don't know everything. That is all.

Don't be a dick, and don't pile on when it's not necessary. That's what I really was trying to say.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
October 3rd, 2012 at 9:55:08 PM permalink
The thing is, we don't know exactly what's going on, but HB and Nareed have "revealed the TRUTH" time and again, each to a new round of well-deserved crickets. I don't think there's much more anyone needs to know at this point.

Meanwhile, this thread is leading to a conga line of suspensions, chasing productive members off the board, constantly fracturing into side threads, and polluting every other forum with passive-aggressive sniping. It's gotten to the point where this thread is as much required reading to follow along on this board as basic statistics; hell, I would never have read it otherwise. So I would say piling on is quite necessary at the point, since it's impossible to ignore - it needs to be spoken that despite SOOPOO having scraped his leg over the bar of perfect gentleman, HB and Nareed have been almost entirely in the wrong on this matter, especially since one of the very few people who disagrees with this statement owns the board. By the time of HB's recent suspension, if I were her, outright name-calling would have seemed safe to me as well. As ill as this board's become, I can't just sit back and pretend this toxic thread doesn't exist, nor that the part of its pollution that flows from SOOPOO's actions is more than slim, nor that the total contribution of all besides him, Nareed, and most of all HB herself is other than minuscule.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 3rd, 2012 at 10:38:07 PM permalink
The bet has been about weight loss ... and an analysis of the bet would appropriately include such topics as indications of will power, desire for money, desire to win, personal drive, knowledge, etc.

The bet was never about whether a heart or a cash register beats under the left one. Until the finish line actually approaches I don't see any reason to speculate about anything other than a gracious winner or a gracious loser. We should wait for the circle and the roses before pronouncing the winner skittish.

As to all the bickering, I guess someone's tag line about 'revealing character' is true, but always remember Abbie Hoffman. When bus tours promised to take suburbanites through the East Village to see weirdos, there would be bearded and bare-footed Abbie Hoffman running alongside the bus and holding up a large mirror in order that the tour operator could make good on his promise. So if you think this thread has revealed lack of character, don't forget to cast a glance into Abbie Hoffman's mirror as well.
MrV
MrV
October 3rd, 2012 at 10:52:50 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

always remember Abbie Hoffman. When bus tours promised to take suburbanites through the East Village to see weirdos, there would be bearded and bare-footed Abbie Hoffman running alongside the bus and holding up a large mirror in order that the tour operator could make good on his promise.

I hadn't heard he engaged in that particular variety of guerilla theater.

Much more well documented is how The Diggers organized hippies to hold up mirrors as tourists cruised through the Haight in Gray Line buses.
"What, me worry?"
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
October 4th, 2012 at 3:51:34 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

The bet has been about weight loss ... and an analysis of the bet would appropriately include such topics as indications of will power, desire for money, desire to win, personal drive, knowledge, etc.

The bet was never about whether a heart or a cash register beats under the left one. Until the finish line actually approaches I don't see any reason to speculate about anything other than a gracious winner or a gracious loser. We should wait for the circle and the roses before pronouncing the winner skittish.

As to all the bickering, I guess someone's tag line about 'revealing character' is true, but always remember Abbie Hoffman. When bus tours promised to take suburbanites through the East Village to see weirdos, there would be bearded and bare-footed Abbie Hoffman running alongside the bus and holding up a large mirror in order that the tour operator could make good on his promise. So if you think this thread has revealed lack of character, don't forget to cast a glance into Abbie Hoffman's mirror as well.

I was acquainted with Abbie and knew his entire family. I spoke with his brother Jack just last week. He is quite a character himself.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
October 4th, 2012 at 10:37:39 AM permalink
So I had said not long ago that I didn't want to post any more pictures or my weight until my final weigh in but that I could drop little hints here and there.

Let's just say that I weighed myself just now and today is a very, very, VERY happy weigh in day. And the cool thing is I now have 13 days left until I weigh in and the number 13 has always been my lucky number. Too cool. Coincidence?

Either way, I am stoked. Even though I don't expect anyone else on here to do so, I am definitely going to pat myself on the back for a job VERY well done. I'm definitely a bit choked up right now.
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 4th, 2012 at 11:07:42 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

Let's just say that I weighed myself just now and today is a very, very, VERY happy weigh in day. And the cool thing is I now have 13 days left until I weigh in and the number 13 has always been my lucky number. Too cool. Coincidence?

In short: yes, it's a coincidence.

But don't let that spoil your fun. I personally collected coincidences for a while :)

Quote:

Either way, I am stoked. Even though I don't expect anyone else on here to do so, I am definitely going to pat myself on the back for a job VERY well done. I'm definitely a bit choked up right now.

I'd be too. Well Done!
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Maverick17
Maverick17
  • Threads: 17
October 4th, 2012 at 11:07:56 AM permalink

So I had said not long ago that I didn't want to post any more pictures or my weight until my final weigh in but that I could drop little hints here and there.

Congrats,

If I were you, I would celebrate by eating a twinkie.
Statistics don't lie, they deceive.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
October 4th, 2012 at 11:11:23 AM permalink
A HUGE congratulations!!! Looking forward to the official weigh in 13 days.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
October 4th, 2012 at 11:15:01 AM permalink
Haha, I called up my aunt and was crying my eyes out. I didn't think I would be emotional about this but this is pretty fricking cool.
I DID IT!!!
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
October 4th, 2012 at 12:11:56 PM permalink

Haha, I called up my aunt and was crying my eyes out. I didn't think I would be emotional about this but this is pretty fricking cool.
I DID IT!!!

First post - I am pretty sure - on this record-setting thread. Kudos to you.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 4th, 2012 at 12:13:34 PM permalink
Congrats! Are you going to try and continue to lose weight, or are you content with it and going to just try to maintain it?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
October 4th, 2012 at 12:19:51 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Congrats! Are you going to try and continue to lose weight, or are you content with it and going to just try to maintain it?

My goal is to get down to 135 pounds.

I went shopping last night at a "normal" women's clothing store and bought some normal-sized sexy dresses to wear clubbing in Vegas. I was pleasantly surprised at how amazing I looked in these tight dresses, but I do want to get down to 135. I think that's not too skinny and also perfectly healthy.

For a woman 5'8" tall, like me, a healthy weight range is between 122 and 164 pounds.
Mission146
Mission146
October 4th, 2012 at 12:48:37 PM permalink
Excellent work, HB, never a doubt.

I can understand the need for motivation. True story. I've been stuck between 205-210lbs for the better part of a month, now. Cutting the calories has officially stopped working, it's going to take...gasp...additional exercise for which I don't have time. Anyway, I get on the scale this morning, and it comes up 212. 212!? What the Hell did that? One Glucerna Shake? It replaced lunch, though, I usually don't drink stuff with calories, but it replaced an entire lunch.

I thought to myself, "If I had to lose weight to win something, then I could do it. Absent extra motivation, I simply don't care if I am ten pounds off of my ideal weight for my height." It would be more difficult for you, of course, given where you started v. where I am at now, but I can understand needing the extra push, for what it's worth.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
October 4th, 2012 at 1:15:03 PM permalink
I weighed myself last night and thought I had somehow lost 10 pounds in 2 days (I have been doing a lot of cardio these past few days) but then realized part of the scale was on my bathroom rug and it was not a true reading. I am still down, but just not quite there. My goal is my high school weight of 152. Only 41 more pounds to lose. My spouse is trying to do the opposite, he is weighing in at 125 now (he is 6'3). He just cannot put on any weight, I have been making sure he consumes at least 2,500 calories a day. Me I am sticking to 1500 calories a day consumed and burning at least 1000 at the gym.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 4th, 2012 at 1:32:51 PM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

My spouse is trying to do the opposite, he is weighing in at 125 now (he is 6'3).

Nick, that can't be right. Frank Sinatra was 5' 7" and weighed
125 in his 20's and 30's and was skinny as a rail, almost sickly
looking. To be 6' 3" at 125 would be a human skeleton, like
at a concentration camp. He has to weigh more than that.
ncfatcat
ncfatcat
  • Threads: 2
October 4th, 2012 at 1:34:05 PM permalink
Congrats! as to your detractors -"Let them eat cake"
Gambling is a metaphor for life. Hang around long enough and it's all gone.
Mission146
Mission146
October 4th, 2012 at 1:49:12 PM permalink

Nick, that can't be right. Frank Sinatra was 5' 7" and weighed
125 in his 20's and 30's and was skinny as a rail, almost sickly
looking. To be 6' 3" at 125 would be a human skeleton, like
at a concentration camp. He has to weigh more than that.

The teller at my bank is my height and darn close to that low, if not that low.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 4th, 2012 at 1:51:42 PM permalink
I have a 13-year-old son who is 5' 10" and 130 lbs. *^%#@#^ teenagers....
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 4th, 2012 at 2:15:02 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

That was me until I got married at 29. Then I suddenly started putting on the pounds mysteriously.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 4th, 2012 at 2:31:59 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

That was me until I got married at 29. Then I suddenly started putting on the pounds mysteriously.

I also got married at 29, but my weight gain wasn't mysterious in the least!

I had two kids by our 3rd anniversary. Had to make up for lost time.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
October 4th, 2012 at 6:25:39 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

You're a good mother. When I was a kid there was one fat kid in our class and by today's standards he wasn't even that fat. When I'm driving and the local school gets out there's maybe one skinny kid in every group.
100% risk of ruin
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
October 4th, 2012 at 7:32:27 PM permalink
I spend Friday and Saturdays cruising yard sales to but stuff to resell. I don't even see any kids, fat or skinny. Must all be inside playing computer games. I mean they are no milk bottles to steal anymore and get the deposit on them, or vacant lots to see on fire, but they must be something kids can do today ?
MrV
MrV
October 4th, 2012 at 8:02:54 PM permalink

And the cool thing is I now have 13 days left until I weigh in and the number 13 has always been my lucky number. Too cool. Coincidence?

You want to hear about a coincidence?

Mama Cass Elliot died in a London flat, No. 12 at 9 Curzon Place, Shepherd Market, Mayfair, which was on loan from singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson. Four years later, The Who's drummer Keith Moon died in the same flat at the same age.
"What, me worry?"
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
October 4th, 2012 at 8:21:35 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

You want to hear about a coincidence?

Mama Cass Elliot died ....

That exact quote is provided in the Wikipedia article about Cass Elliot, which might be your source. I am more concerned about the possible relevance to this thread of another comment in that article regarding her death. Hope very much that this sort of coincidence does not come up.

Quote: Wikipedia

In fact Elliot had lost 80 pounds (36 kg) in the eight months before her death by fasting four days a week. Her fatal heart attack was most likely related to this extreme weightloss measure.

buzzpaff
buzzpaff
October 4th, 2012 at 8:28:29 PM permalink
I have just be disqualified from first place on a technicality from the WIZ G2E trivia contest.

Reading about Mama Cass I asked the following :

Which male and female rock"n legends only gold record was after they died.

Name female and male artists and songs.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
October 5th, 2012 at 1:59:30 PM permalink
During my week of WoV "ROM" only time, I have done some thinking about the HB challenge. If you take out the interpersonal rift that has occurred between me and HB, this would have been the PERFECT WoV event. A challenge. Odds made. Bets proffered. Events make bet seem like challenger will lose. Despite that, challenger 'doubles up'. Some state challenger has no chance. Some state challenger will easily win. Multiple discussions about the bet itself. The challenger seems to have it locked up. I have never wavered once in my admiration for challenger accomplishing this feat.... Congratulations, HB.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
October 5th, 2012 at 2:03:11 PM permalink
I just noticed SOOPOO is an anagram for OOOOPS. ;-)
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 5th, 2012 at 2:12:51 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I just noticed SOOPOO is an anagram for OOOOPS. ;-)

It is actually my nickname for my ex-wife, as it was chosen for my WoV moniker before the end of my marriage. As per our divorce decree, I get to keep the nickname for myself. She gets money instead....
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
October 5th, 2012 at 2:15:33 PM permalink
Now I see why you dropped out of law school and went to medical school instead !
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
October 5th, 2012 at 2:22:04 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It is actually my nickname for my ex-wife, as it was chosen for my WoV moniker before the end of my marriage. As per our divorce decree, I get to keep the nickname for myself. She gets money instead....

Did your ex claim that you said horrible things to her via private message? :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 5th, 2012 at 2:23:02 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

During my week of WoV "ROM" only time, I have done some thinking about the HB challenge. If you take out the interpersonal rift that has occurred between me and HB,

There was a heck of a lot more bad feelings in this
thread than just between you and HB. Go read it
again and you'll see this has not been a pleasant
experience for a lot of people.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
October 5th, 2012 at 2:37:26 PM permalink
Quote: Johnzimbo

Did your ex claim that you said horrible things to her via private message? :)

Not at all. We get along fine. I have referred her to this site, as she was interested in our son's (Son of SOOPOO) challenge here. I never have thought of this before, but at the end of her second pregnancy she was about 190 pounds. She is now 90 pounds lighter and in better shape than any 50 year old I have ever met. Imagine, a 90 pound weight loss!
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
October 5th, 2012 at 3:06:15 PM permalink
I had an uncle who lost 230lbs. He divorced the fat bitch.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
October 5th, 2012 at 4:04:39 PM permalink
I wish I could attend the weigh-in and all the accompanying festivities...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 5th, 2012 at 10:00:25 PM permalink
I would like to say that I received, and cashed, a $90 check from FrG, in anticipation of losing the bet. So please cross him off the list of possible welshers.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 5th, 2012 at 10:41:14 PM permalink
edited by vandals
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
October 6th, 2012 at 1:41:17 PM permalink
Quote: sodawater

Hotblonde, I have never interacted with you, and I do NOT mean this as a personal insult in any way. But don't you think it's a little... arrogant... to call yourself "super hot"? I mean, I know models who wouldn't call themselves that... and at 160 lbs you're still gonna be like 40 lbs overweight for your height. ...

...I wouldn't call a women @160 lbs for your height "hot"

Yeah, you're right... I'm SUCH a fatty right now.
WAAAAAAY overweight and nowhere NEAR being able to call myself "HOT" as you say.

P.S. sodawater, you may refer to me as SuperHotBlonde now.

P.P.S. The big reveal: October 17th, 2012 Las Vegas, NV
sodawater
sodawater
October 6th, 2012 at 1:59:17 PM permalink
deleted
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
October 6th, 2012 at 2:12:12 PM permalink
She does look far thinner than I'd expect for 160 lb, if the blurring's not too flattering, both here and in the old photos - I expect she's got some muscle under there. Here as in the "Is #5 fat" thread, sodawater, I find your standards of weight ridiculous, informed by dying runway models.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
sodawater
sodawater
October 6th, 2012 at 2:20:37 PM permalink
deleted
  • Jump to: