Thread Rating:

pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 23rd, 2012 at 11:55:47 PM permalink
Quote: bigfoot66

It's true. And the funniest guy around to them is 35 and makes $400,000 a year. He has a nice home in Malibu with a pool that he swims laps in daily. He also plays tennis and lifts weights, and he just can't seem to spend enough money on the women he dates. They think this guy is just hillarious....

And then you hang out with him and he is laying knock knock jokes on you.

Eric Stonestreet is age 40, and Modern Family is his first full time TV job. Movie roles have been limited to minor roles in blockbusters like Ninja Cheerleaders, and American Crude.

While he is no doubt rich by normal standards, Charlize Theron starred in 29 movies over the last 17 years which earned over a billion dollars in the US domestic market. She only briefly played a part in two television series, and that was probably more out of respect for the shows than need for money.

I am sure Charlize Theron is not after him for the money.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
September 24th, 2012 at 6:30:21 AM permalink
Quote: Switch

I must admit that without the weekly updates it has taken the shine off the whole event.

It will be a case of "HB made it, you owe her $900" or "HB didn't make it, she owes you $100".

The elimination of the updates turns it from a personal-sharing experience into a purely financial one. As my $900 was intended as a 'carrot' rather than a wager (along with others) then it would have been nice to have followed the event in a similar vein.

Same here, of course.

I believe Mike posted earlier an unofficial update stating that HB is on course to succeed but not a guarantee.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 24th, 2012 at 7:10:41 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I believe Mike posted earlier an unofficial update stating that HB is on course to succeed but not a guarantee.

So whatever algorithm or rule of thumb Hot Blonde used to originally project her weight loss goal turned out to be a reasonable one despite a few incidents that interrupted her dieting/exercise. I guess that was a good estimate... win or lose. So it should have been at Even Money.
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
September 24th, 2012 at 7:19:23 AM permalink
Maybe she has blown up before and found that she had no trouble losing weight,
So she concocted to scam some gambling addicts with an easy money wager...
Last I remember she was within 5-10 pounds of her goal
When she decided to go silent.
I would hope anyone who doesn't pay up in this wager gets a lifetime ban.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 24th, 2012 at 7:29:50 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Why?

Failure to pay a nonenforceable private bet is NOT listed as being against the forum rules.

Banning a member who is otherwise in compliance with forum rules would be arbitrary, capricious and demonstrably unfair.
"What, me worry?"
WongBo
WongBo
September 24th, 2012 at 8:03:37 AM permalink
Personal bias on my part.
I have a "friend" who owes me 5k from the 2008 election.
I hate sore losers and welchers.
MrV
MrV
September 24th, 2012 at 8:08:00 AM permalink
I don't much care for them, either.

But that is no reason to ban them.

It will be an interesting test of the moderators if one or more people lose the challenge, refuse to pay, but continue to post here; obviously they will catch a LOT of flak from outraged members.

It would likely test the "no personal insult" rule.
"What, me worry?"
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
September 24th, 2012 at 9:02:08 AM permalink
As a former collector, I have found it's always a case of not wanting to pay. Never a case of not being able to pay.
Would even take payments as long as the chump did not get action elsewhere during that time.

Forget all that bullshit about breaking a leg. My boss could not buy his mistress a Cadillac with some chumps hospital bill.

I sure Making Book has a cut number for his customer, just like when i was collecting. Once a bettor reaches a limit, no more action either way until accounts are settled. Only in the movies does a working man suddenly owe his bookie $50,000 or some asinine amount.

I see no problem telling a welsher what I think of him. Unfortunately that subject brings up sad memories of a fellow collector who got
sentenced 10-25. Nice guy too, just had the wrong last name. Had his parents changed their last name to Smith or Jones, I doubt Ronnie would have been incarcerated when he grew up.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
September 24th, 2012 at 9:13:21 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

Eric Stonestreet is age 40, and Modern Family is his first full time TV job. Movie roles have been limited to minor roles in blockbusters like Ninja Cheerleaders, and American Crude.

While he is no doubt rich by normal standards, Charlize Theron starred in 29 movies over the last 17 years which earned over a billion dollars in the US domestic market. She only briefly played a part in two television series, and that was probably more out of respect for the shows than need for money.

I am sure Charlize Theron is not after him for the money.

It was not a comment about Mr. Stonestreet, it was a general musing.
Vote for Nobody 2020!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 24th, 2012 at 9:31:45 AM permalink
HB wrote to me and said that I may post that she is in the 160's. As a reminder, the goal is 160.8 on October 17.

23 days to go.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 24th, 2012 at 9:31:51 AM permalink
" I am sure Charlize Theron is not after him for the money." Be that as it may, it is always easier to fall in love with a rich man, than a poor man.
bigfoot66
bigfoot66
  • Threads: 54
September 24th, 2012 at 10:23:09 AM permalink
I have had women who tell me that their mothers told them something along those lines, I thought it was "It's just as easy to love a rich man as a poor man".
Vote for Nobody 2020!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 24th, 2012 at 10:32:04 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

So whatever algorithm or rule of thumb Hot Blonde used to originally project her weight loss goal turned out to be a reasonable one despite a few incidents that interrupted her dieting/exercise. I guess that was a good estimate... win or lose. So it should have been at Even Money.

Totally disagree, Flea... I could post an algorithm detailing what kind of exercises I need to get 6 pack abs, and I can assure you the odds of me actually doing that necessary work is not even money. Every single obese person has access to information and diets and exercise regimens that will lead to the weight loss HB has experienced, but so few are actually able to stick to it. I stand by my initial impression that HB's success will be nothing short of an amazing feat, something that only the strongest willed woman could achieve....
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 24th, 2012 at 10:34:17 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

Totally agree.... I don't even think this is debatable.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 24th, 2012 at 10:42:25 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Obsessions
are unhealthy, BTW..

So how about that American presidential election, eh? Isn't it about time for you to start another thread about that?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 24th, 2012 at 10:44:09 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

blockbusters like Ninja Cheerleaders

Soooo...who else just updated their Netflix queue? :-)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
September 24th, 2012 at 10:48:03 AM permalink

Dude, I just sent you a PM that says exactly what
I want to say. Don't bother responding..

You mean what you wanted to say was blocked and not sent to me. Or do you mean you said nothing? Or you want to say nothing, but took time out of your busy schedule to tell me not to respond to the nothing you just sent me in a PM that I didn't receive?

Quote:

People who block PM's probably have other nasty
habits as well..

Blocking your PMs is a "nasty habit"?
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
September 24th, 2012 at 11:12:37 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

HB wrote to me and said that I may post that she is in the 160's. As a reminder, the goal is 160.8 on October 17.

23 days to go.

That will make for an exciting end to the challenge. I hope she makes it, as SooPoo has said, it will be an incredible accomplishment.

Win or Lose I hope HB posts some summary pictures of the progress made from start to finish, they will be transformational, P90X commerical type photos for sure!

I hope she gives you a verbal update on progress as of G2E with two weeks to go. C'mon HB, most here are rooting for ya....don't leave us hanging :-)!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 24th, 2012 at 11:44:40 AM permalink
Quote: Paradigm

C'mon HB, most here are rooting for ya....don't leave us hanging :-)!

I'm rooting for a push, or if not a push - something controversial. Like she is 1 lb over, and has to run 2 miles, and/or go throw up, or start taking off her clothes to make weight (not saying this sexually at all, just saying that I've taken my clothes off when weighing myself before).

I just want it to be interesting!
Paradigm
Paradigm
September 24th, 2012 at 11:53:55 AM permalink
Excellent Point Fins! Is there a one time weigh in or does she have the day to "make weight"?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 24th, 2012 at 1:41:45 PM permalink

Excellent Point Fins! Is there a one time weigh in or does she have the day to "make weight"?

Initially, HB wanted the official weigh in to be first thing in the morning, so that she could go enjoy some unshackled eating the rest of the day. When we were on good terms the plan was for her to weigh in with the Wiz present, then weigh in unofficially later with me present leading to a celebratory dinner with the WoV crew. I don't know if Mike has addressed this, but I assume he will be making sure an accurate scale will be used, and that he and HB will select a time mutually agreeable to both of them. I would say if HB is really in the 160's now she is a virtual lock for success, even if she is a few pounds over the day before with around $8000 on the line I'm sure she could just fast, and the lack of water intake alone would account for those few pounds easily.

But to technically answer the question, I would say she has until midnight to make the weight, just that Mike has to be available to witness it....
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 24th, 2012 at 1:54:34 PM permalink

I don't know if Mike has addressed this, but I assume he will be making sure an accurate scale will be used, ...

I don't think this has come up yet. I agree that an accurate doctor's scale should be used, since it could come down to ounces. However, I don't own any scale at all. I see somebody is selling this one for $200, but I hate to drop the money for something I don't really need. Maybe I'll ask around to see if a friend or neighbor can loan me one.

Also, can I get a list of names for those who would like to be present for the weigh in and/or party? I think all are welcome, except SOOPOO.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 24th, 2012 at 1:56:31 PM permalink

Initially, HB wanted the official weigh in to be first thing in the morning, so that she could go enjoy some unshackled eating the rest of the day.

Thats just hilarious. Its like a druggie saying he'll
do the test in the morning, that way he'll have the
rest of the day for some unshackled pill popping
and shooting up.

Whats the flaw in this scenerio..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
September 24th, 2012 at 2:00:03 PM permalink

Thats just hilarious. Its like a druggie saying he'll
do the test in the morning, that way he'll have the
rest of the day for some unshackled pill popping
and shooting up.

Whats the flaw in this scenerio..

Geez, Bob.... NO FLAW!!! I have fasted for various reasons, never to the extent of this Challenge, and I can assure you, I was anxiously awaiting the end so I could 'filler up'!! After a rigorous 9 month odyssey you don't think she'll have earned the right to have a gluttonous meal to celebrate?
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 24th, 2012 at 2:09:23 PM permalink

After a rigorous 9 month odyssey you don't think she'll have earned the right to have a gluttonous meal to celebrate?

Not if you've had a lifestyle change. Which is
whats needed if you want any chance at all
of not gaining it back. After 9 months of
quitting smoking or giving up booze, is the
way to celebrate to smoke two packs or
drink a fifth of vodka? I don't think so.

Unless there's been a lifestyle change, and
a change of whats important and whats not,
all of this has just been an exercise in futility.
Paradigm
Paradigm
September 24th, 2012 at 2:16:10 PM permalink
A celebratory meal is definitely within the parameters of a change in lifestyle.

A week of eating without regard to the new limits of a new lifestyle is where a slippery slope of regression begins.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
September 24th, 2012 at 3:40:56 PM permalink
I think all dieters know you weigh the least in the morning, after evacuating but before eating breakfast.
A falling knife has no handle.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
September 24th, 2012 at 3:51:48 PM permalink
I don't think you can treat food the same way as drugs or other inherently unhealthy habits. I imagine after most of a year of this, HB literally couldn't eat like she used to if she tried. Don't get me wrong - I have no doubt she'll gain weight when this challenge is over. But she won't "gain it back."
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
MrV
MrV
September 24th, 2012 at 4:33:11 PM permalink

A celebratory meal is definitely within the parameters of a change in lifestyle.

I disagree.

Zero tolerance for back sliding.

When I quit smoking, and when I quit drinking: zero recidivism.

No problem with her having a large meal, so long as it is healthy food.

forks over knives ...
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 24th, 2012 at 4:36:40 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

No problem with her having a large meal, so long as it is healthy food.

forks over knives ...

Yes, why does a celebratory meal have to
consist of waffles and mashed potatoes
and all the chocolate cake you can pound
down? Kinda defeats the purpose of the
whole thing.
Paradigm
Paradigm
September 24th, 2012 at 4:42:03 PM permalink
I hear ya MrV....I guess I place smoking and drinking in more of an addictive category than food....that is probably my own personal bias as I haven't come across many folks that have been addicted to food vs. those that "need to drink or smoke" due to a physical addiction.

For me being heavy has everything to do with being a bit lazy and not wanting to do the work to slim down. I have 10-20 punds I would like to lose, I haven't done it because I am lazy and don't want to restrict my diet and make time for the exercise that is required to achieve that goal. From what I hear (as I have no experience with smoking or heavy drinking), smoking and excessive alcohol consumption are more physically addictive than I give food credit for being. That may be wrong but that has been my experience.
MrV
MrV
September 24th, 2012 at 4:54:52 PM permalink
Hey Wiz, have you considered contacting a medical supply store to see if you can rent a scale?
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 24th, 2012 at 5:06:00 PM permalink

I haven't come across many folks that have been addicted to food

Look on the web for any wedding that happened
this summer and look at the bridesmaids. Usually
half or more of them are 100 pounds overweight,
its shocking. Its even more shocking to see them
stuffed into those bridesmaids costumes. Food
addiction is at epidemic proportions in the western
world.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
September 24th, 2012 at 5:07:24 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Hey Wiz, have you considered contacting a medical supply store to see if you can rent a scale?

Why not just find a convenient clinic or health club to drop by for the weighing? I have never used a hotel spa in Las Vegas, but do they have high quality scales?

I predict this thread will have at least one more flare-up of conflict before the weigh-in, a lot of discussion and maybe another flare-up (related to pay/not pay?) after the weigh-in, and will then fade into history.

If anyone wonders what Nareed thinks about all of this, you can probably contact her through her cooking blog; I think the URL is in a cooking thread around here somewhere. I strongly suspect that she has some comments that she would just love to express about now.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
September 24th, 2012 at 5:28:39 PM permalink
I'll be in Vegas on the 17th. I'll probably attend the weigh-in, unless it's very early. I'm less sure about the other events.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
September 24th, 2012 at 6:17:11 PM permalink

Yes, why does a celebratory meal have to
consist of waffles and mashed potatoes
and all the chocolate cake you can pound
down? Kinda defeats the purpose of the
whole thing.

Boiled turnip soup or gruel. For a party you should have at least two choices.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
September 25th, 2012 at 3:34:08 AM permalink

Look on the web for any wedding that happened
this summer and look at the bridesmaids. Usually
half or more of them are 100 pounds overweight,
its shocking. Its even more shocking to see them
stuffed into those bridesmaids costumes. Food
addiction is at epidemic proportions in the western
world.

You're right Bob. My wife likes to occasionally watch the show Say Yes To The Dress and it can be rather shocking. They should be more concerned with their health than their looks. I guess they haven't heard of the Hot Blonde Challenge.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
September 25th, 2012 at 5:09:08 PM permalink

For me being heavy has everything to do with being a bit lazy and not wanting to do the work to slim down. I have 10-20 punds I would like to lose, I haven't done it because I am lazy and don't want to restrict my diet and make time for the exercise that is required to achieve that goal.

I have 5-10 drinks per week, that I should give up, but I am lazy, and I don't want to restrict myself ... blah, blah, blah.
Of course, I could quit at any time, I just don't want to right now.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Paradigm
Paradigm
September 25th, 2012 at 5:30:38 PM permalink
I stand corrected.

Based on the fact that half the bridesmaids in America are 100lbs or more overwieght and having one beer when you get home from work and two while watching a football game over the weekend is a "drinking problem", I would like to retract my previous post and I am now against HB having a celebratory meal. It would clearly be a significant backslide type event and must be avoided at all costs.
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
September 25th, 2012 at 6:13:37 PM permalink
Quote: weaselman

I have 5-10 drinks per week, that I should give up, but I am lazy, and I don't want to restrict myself ... blah, blah, blah.
Of course, I could quit at any time, I just don't want to right now.

If you have 5-10 drinks per week, you probably shouldn't give them up. Even physically, let alone socially, drinking at that level does more good than harm, and it's unlikely if that's your intake you've got a control problem.
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
WongBo
WongBo
September 25th, 2012 at 6:14:43 PM permalink
You just reminded me,
I need a therapeutic "forty".
MrV
MrV
September 25th, 2012 at 6:15:38 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

You're right Bob. My wife likes to occasionally watch the show Say Yes To The Dress and it can be rather shocking. They should be more concerned with their health than their looks. I guess they haven't heard of the Hot Blonde Challenge.

I shook my head in wonder recently when I discovered an abominable program, "Honey Boo Boo" while channel surfing.

A fat kid in beauty pageants, controlled by an obese mother.

Alas, America ...
"What, me worry?"
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
September 25th, 2012 at 7:47:22 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

If you have 5-10 drinks per week, you probably shouldn't give them up. Even physically, let alone socially, drinking at that level does more good than harm, and it's unlikely if that's your intake you've got a control problem.

I meant 5-10 drinks, that I should give up. Not my last 5-10 drinks per week ;)
Oh, and I don't really have a "control problem" (or whatever other euphemism you want to use), I am just being sarcastic. Everyone acting compulsively sounds the same - eating, drinking, smoking, internet'ing - doesn't matter. 1% of "addicts" have real chemical addiction, the rest are pure psychology. "I can stop any time" ... sure, you can. But chances are, you won't.

As for "celebratory meal" and what not - I don't see anything wrong with that. I quit smoking 15 years ago, still enjoy an occasional cigar. Why not? As long as it does not get you back into a routine, eat all you want every now and then. Three eclairs in a row won't make you even a pound heavier.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
September 25th, 2012 at 10:08:47 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

If you have 5-10 drinks per week, you probably shouldn't give them up.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
September 25th, 2012 at 11:28:46 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Also, can I get a list of names for those who would like to be present for the weigh in and/or party?

Sadly I'll be missing the weigh-in as I am back on the straight and narrow again (i.e. I have a day job) and won't be getting in to town until Friday night

If there is an ancillary party or get-together over the weekend, I would love to be there. I understand if the official activities are restricted to Wednesday, but if anyone else is hanging around we should get together.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 116
September 26th, 2012 at 9:00:31 AM permalink
3 weeks till the big day...

The Final Countdown
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
kmumf
kmumf
  • Threads: 1
September 26th, 2012 at 12:08:58 PM permalink
I look forward to seeing some great results photos at weigh in.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
September 26th, 2012 at 12:14:39 PM permalink
Quote: kmumf

I look forward to seeing some great results photos at weigh in.

They will be great indeed. I think you all will be surprised.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 26th, 2012 at 12:18:14 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

They will be great indeed. I think you all will be surprised.

Shame I won't be there. I think all will be PLEASANTLY surprised. Especially HB, who has done something not even she was sure was
could be accomplished. Hopefully, she will not stick out her tongue and say " I told you so " LOL
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
September 26th, 2012 at 12:24:56 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Especially HB, who has done something not even she was sure was
could be accomplished.

Um.... I was always confident, even from the beginning when I weighed more than 250 pounds. Why do you think I've tried soliciting so many bets against me?

Quote: buzzpaff

Hopefully, she will not stick out her tongue and say " I told you so " LOL

No, but to be perfectly honest because I have encountered so much disgust and hate throughout this thread I really want to tell all the naysayers and haters to KISS MY A**! And those of you may gladly do so.

Pucker up!
  • Jump to: