Thread Rating:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
August 18th, 2012 at 7:41:15 AM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Someone in the suspension thread - odiousgambit - suggested that this whole fight (not the bet) was the setup for some grand practical joke at the weigh-in. I think that's what 1BB was referring to.

Gotcha- all my posts have been sincere. I assume the same for HB. If HB changes her mind (doesn't seem likely) I would love to be re-invited to the weigh in. But there is no 'set-up' going on.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 18th, 2012 at 10:03:39 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

1BB--- just to humor me, what 'hidden agenda' might you think either HB or I have? If you are implying that we were setting up forum members to defraud them of money in the bet, then you are impugning the Wiz's integrity. He has vouched for the authenticity of this bet, and although he couldn't vouch for HB's exact starting weight, he could vouch for her approximate starting weight. And HB will weigh in with the Wiz present to conclude the bet.

I, also, am not anonymous here. Many forum members have met me. I have paid off forum members on previously lost bets, most notably from the Wizards Challenge thread, where Son of SOOPOO tried to win our homemade triathlon.

My only hidden agenda here is my own personal enjoyment, and as long as I find this mess more interesting than it is trouble, I'll keep at it.

SOOPOO, if I haven't made it clear I think you are the real deal and so does everyone else here with the exception of a couple of misguided people. The treatment you've received has been nothing short of despicable and now that the PMs have vindicated you I'm waiting for someone to stand up and say that you of all people should be at the weigh-in.

Fraud was the last thing on my mind. It seems to me that someone may be trying to stir up trouble or trying to keep this thread alive. I find it very curious that Fairway2Gold joined this forum on July 12,2012, made a decent post about a blackjack book, then had what can only be described as a meltdown a month later on his or her second post. It doesn't make sense to me and with the not so nice tone I wonder if this is a previously banned member or as I stated someone trying to keep this thread going.

I tend to be analytical and I've seen a few made up stories on this forum but I don't question them so as not to embarrass anyone. Fairway2Gold just doesn't pass my smell test.

As a quick aside, I can't for the life of me understand why you got involved with HB in the first place but that is none of my or anyone's business.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
August 18th, 2012 at 12:50:02 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

SOOPOO, if I haven't made it clear I think you are the real deal and so does everyone else here with the exception of a couple of misguided people. The treatment you've received has been nothing short of despicable and now that the PMs have vindicated you I'm waiting for someone to stand up and say that you of all people should be at the weigh-in.

Fraud was the last thing on my mind. It seems to me that someone may be trying to stir up trouble or trying to keep this thread alive. I find it very curious that Fairway2Gold joined this forum on July 12,2012, made a decent post about a blackjack book, then had what can only be described as a meltdown a month later on his or her second post. It doesn't make sense to me and with the not so nice tone I wonder if this is a previously banned member or as I stated someone trying to keep this thread going.

I tend to be analytical and I've seen a few made up stories on this forum but I don't question them so as not to embarrass anyone. Fairway2Gold just doesn't pass my smell test.

As a quick aside, I can't for the life of me understand why you got involved with HB in the first place but that is none of my or anyone's business.

I do not know who Fairway2Gold is. As far as keeping the thread going, I don't need much help there!
Why did I get involved? Here goes.... I have a personal dislike for obesity. There is a cute coworker that I often chatted with, and she mentioned to me that she was once obese. She showed me pictures of her before (about HB's starting size) and I see her after (about HB's goal of 138) and it is amazing. There was some thread that mentioned obesity and dieting, and I stated that the way to lose weight was to burn more than you take in, nothing more, nothing less. I of course pointed out how difficult it is to do for most people. HB and I started talking, and she said she could easily lose weight, if there was enough of an incentive. I offerred to bet her, or maybe even give her, I really cant remember, I believe $1199, if she could lose the 90 pounds in 9 months. She said she needed more incentive and wanted $9000, but that was a bit more than I felt I could risk, so the two of us started working to get others to join in. I had not met her at that point, but we certainly had many phone conversations during the planning phase. When I did my spring trip to Vegas, I really wanted to see her in a 'before' situation, so I could really apprecaite what she would look like in an 'after' the diet look. So I paid her way to Vegas (It wasn't THAT expensive, she lives in California), and I thought we had a good time, with the exception of the unfortunate fiasco that happenned during my date. We went to dinner a few times, hung out with Mike, gambled with PaiGowDan. I had my 'golfbuddy' with me, so its not like HB and I spent all our time together, nor was that the plan. As this whole mess was never intended as a financial thing to me, as I have said many times, I considered Anne my friend by then, and was doing her a favor. So no matter what the final result here is, I can hold my head high, knowing I did a HUGE favor for a friend, and it WORKED. Anne will be showing up in Vegas, a new woman, feeling better about herself, and likely substantially wealthier, too. Obviously she sees things differently, but there is nothing more I can do about it.
tsmith
tsmith
  • Threads: 19
August 18th, 2012 at 1:04:08 PM permalink
So the 9 grand was HB's idea of a proper incentive because $1,199 wasn't enough, and you went out and recruited others to shoulder some of the financial burden so that she would be able to get what she wanted ... and she's calling you a bully?

Wow.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 18th, 2012 at 2:00:05 PM permalink

I believe $1199, if she could lose the 90 pounds in 9 months. She said she needed more incentive and wanted $9000, .

So this begs the question, if common sense and her
health weren't enough of an incentive to lose the
weight, and she needed 9 grand, how much money
will it take as incentive for her to keep it off. Remember,
she said at the start of this, after she wins the bet
she doesn't want a lot of grief from people here when
she goes back to her old ways of eating.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 18th, 2012 at 2:23:34 PM permalink
*A BLINDING FLASH OF LIGHT BANISHES THE THREE DAYS OF DARKNESS*

Whoa!
"What, me worry?"
Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
August 18th, 2012 at 2:25:24 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

So this begs the question, if common sense and her
health weren't enough of an incentive to lose the
weight, and she needed 9 grand, how much money
will it take as incentive for her to keep it off. Remember,
she said at the start of this, after she wins the bet
she doesn't want a lot of grief from people here when
she goes back to her old ways of eating.

Exactly my point a few posts ago, Bob.

The bet on how fast the weight piles back on will be the real thing to watch.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 18th, 2012 at 2:31:54 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Whoa!

Welcome back my friend, to the show that never ends...rest assured you'll get your money's worth...what a scene, what a scene.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
August 18th, 2012 at 2:33:25 PM permalink
I believe that she has since effectively recanted that statement by making multiple statements to the contrary. That's why starting is the hardest part of dieting for many people, because you can't visualize the positive results yet...and they are slow coming. You can lose the first ten pounds and not look any different whatsoever, and only feel mildly different.

However, after you get well into it and are able to look at pictures of yourself before the weight loss and compare them to what you see in the mirror, your attitude towards the consumption of copious amounts of food changes. (I'm not referring to HB specifically in that last statement) You also feel better compared to feeling lazy, tired, listless, irritable and constantly hungry when you are not actually hungry.

The reason for this is that an obese person will tend to have less D2 (Dopamine) receptors than a lean person or person of average weight. The lack of dopamine receptors is, "Corrected," by compulsive overeating because it is said overeating that will give a person a sense of pleasure and joy which is more difficult to attain with limited D2 receptors. Smokers have the same problem. As one diets and becomes leaner, (or quits smoking) that person will then experience an increase in dopamine receptors which will then cause the person to derive pleasure more easily, and most importantly, from things other than what caused the lack of dopamine receptors in the first place.

Overweight people also tend to have this limited D2 receptor problem with respect to physical exercise, it gives them no pleasure. However, as the exercise starts to bear more tangible fruits, knowing that one's physical condition is going to become even better causes one to start to garner pleasure from exercise, the increased number of dopamine receptors doesn't hurt, either.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
August 18th, 2012 at 2:35:21 PM permalink

Whoa!

ME TOO!
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Mission146
Mission146
August 18th, 2012 at 2:41:40 PM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

ME TOO!

I'm glad you guys are back, and I actually have a few questions for you:

1.) What is the minimum amount of action you'll take?

2.) What will you lay on the Pittsburgh Pirates:

A.) Making it to the World Series

and

B.) Winning the World Series?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
MrV
MrV
August 18th, 2012 at 2:45:28 PM permalink
Quote: Woldus

Exactly my point a few posts ago, Bob.

I got banned for somewhat inartfully saying she needs to change her eating habits, or else what's the point?

Of course, if her REAL *point* was to lure some naive folks into making a public bet at 9 - 1 in her favor, a bet over which she has complete control ... oops, I better stop there, I don't want to get banned again for expressing myself clearly and forcefully via use of the vernacular.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words ...

"What, me worry?"
Mission146
Mission146
August 18th, 2012 at 2:57:12 PM permalink
I don't know if I would say full control, though those were the words I used in my limerick, as it were.

It's still a significant amount of weight to lose, though she had plenty of time to do it, impressive none the less. I think that the sheer amount of weight she has lost is impressive, almost indisputably so. From when she was tracking her results weekly, the aspect of her personal weight loss that I find most impressive is that she never plateaued for any great length of time, most people do, and that is usually a very difficult hurdle to overcome.

With all due respect to who are, presumably, the soon-to-be losers of this bet, I think that 9-1 is a horrible lay. I suppose everyone can take those words with a grain of salt as I had not stated that at the time this challenge started, but nor did I know this Forum so much as existed, at that point. I probably would have laid either 2-1 or 3-1, but having played sports (including wrestling, at one point) throughout H.S. and part of college, I know that weight loss is easier than it seems if one follows a few simple rules. Even laying 2-1 or 3-1, I'd have still been counting on that plateau, which I am still baffled at how HB found a way to avoid plateauing, most impressive.
MakingBook
MakingBook
August 18th, 2012 at 3:09:57 PM permalink
I have always speculated the blonde has an identical twin that is not obese.

Just take some pictures of the obese twin, and let the other twin
show up for the weigh-in and collect the cash.
Seems like an easy way to scam some naive marks on the web.

I posted about this and some other concerns early in the challenge.
tsmith
tsmith
August 18th, 2012 at 3:11:53 PM permalink
Quote:

It would be very uncommon for there to be identical twins where one is obese and the other thin.
MakingBook
MakingBook
August 18th, 2012 at 3:18:20 PM permalink
Quote: tsmith

Quote:

It would be very uncommon for there to be identical twins where one is obese and the other thin.

I agree. But a 160 pound woman isn't exactly thin.
tsmith
tsmith
August 18th, 2012 at 3:26:41 PM permalink
You have to remember, tho, that HB is quite tall. I believe she mentioned once that she's 5'8".
Mission146
Mission146
August 18th, 2012 at 3:35:35 PM permalink
I think MB's suggestion is highly doubtful for a number of reasons:

1.) It seems that SOOPOO met HB at some point after the bet was made, given that such is the case, he would be able to tell (based on the weekly reports) whether or not the individual in question was reasonably close to the most recently posted weight.

At best, then, you would have the already leaner twin as a safe-play back-up in case the individual actually losing the weight failed to lose the required amount. However, this would still require the twin to strenuously attempt to lose the weight. In my opinion, if you have a twin already at the goal weight, then there is no reason for the other twin to be so strenuous in the attempt to lose weight.

2.) SOOPOO's initial offer was a bet of $1,199:(I forget what), however, HB decided that would not be an appropriate amount to compel her to change her lifestyle to that great of an extent. I don't think someone would take that kind of risk on a guaranteed $1,199 because:

A.) She wouldn't have known that SOOPOO would round up more bets.

and

B.) SOOPOO may have decided just to withdraw the initial bet, in which case, HB would win nothing.

3.) It would just so happen that she would have to have a leaner twin, and SOOPOO still has to initially offer the bet. We should remember that this proposal was not HB's, but rather SOOPOO's. If you had someone being the first to say, "If you lay 9:1, I bet I can lose ninety pounds in nine months," then there may be reason for concern, but the prop bet was SOOPOO's idea.

4.) Multiple people have HB's real name, it seems. If you really wanted to find out whether or not someone had an identical twin, it wouldn't be too difficult. It's not like this identical twin lived in a closet never exposing herself in public for (insert HB's age, which I don't know, here) years just in case such an opportunity came to fruition. Just with the vast resources offered by the Internet, it wouldn't be hard at all as long as you had someone's real name to begin with. If that didn't work, just locate a yearbook from her graduating class.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 18th, 2012 at 3:51:54 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I probably would have laid either 2-1 or 3-1, but having played sports (including wrestling, at one point) throughout H.S. and part of college, I know that weight loss is easier than it seems if one follows a few simple rules.

Yes, but we're athletes. I struggle to eat entire pizzas in one sitting for lunch and a whole chicken for dinner just to try to reach 210 by the start of a tourney, only to come out wasted three days later at the end of it at 195. That's the lifestyle. For me, maybe you, it's easy, we do/have done it all the time. We like to do it. For someone that lays around until obesity to switch to this kind of lifestyle, it's got to be bloody hard. Like, 9-to-1-against hard.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rudeboyoi
rudeboyoi
  • Threads: 27
August 18th, 2012 at 4:11:11 PM permalink

I believe that she has since effectively recanted that statement by making multiple statements to the contrary. That's why starting is the hardest part of dieting for many people, because you can't visualize the positive results yet...and they are slow coming. You can lose the first ten pounds and not look any different whatsoever, and only feel mildly different.

However, after you get well into it and are able to look at pictures of yourself before the weight loss and compare them to what you see in the mirror, your attitude towards the consumption of copious amounts of food changes. (I'm not referring to HB specifically in that last statement) You also feel better compared to feeling lazy, tired, listless, irritable and constantly hungry when you are not actually hungry.

The reason for this is that an obese person will tend to have less D2 (Dopamine) receptors than a lean person or person of average weight. The lack of dopamine receptors is, "Corrected," by compulsive overeating because it is said overeating that will give a person a sense of pleasure and joy which is more difficult to attain with limited D2 receptors. Smokers have the same problem. As one diets and becomes leaner, (or quits smoking) that person will then experience an increase in dopamine receptors which will then cause the person to derive pleasure more easily, and most importantly, from things other than what caused the lack of dopamine receptors in the first place.

Overweight people also tend to have this limited D2 receptor problem with respect to physical exercise, it gives them no pleasure. However, as the exercise starts to bear more tangible fruits, knowing that one's physical condition is going to become even better causes one to start to garner pleasure from exercise, the increased number of dopamine receptors doesn't hurt, either.

do you think taking NDRIs would help a person overcome overeating habits?
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
RaspberryCheeseBlintz
  • Threads: 5
August 18th, 2012 at 4:18:46 PM permalink
I do think you're to be congratulated for assisting a friend in achieving weight loss.

I don't think you're correct in stating that weight loss is all about burning "more than you take in, nothing more, nothing less".
That is of course true, but it is trivially true. What you eat, exactly, can have a significant if not tremendous effect on what you
take in, how your body uses what it takes in, and how your body metabolizes what it takes in.

Numerous people have successfully lost large amounts of weight NOT by focusing on eating more fats and proteins, and fewer simple carbohydrates and other high GI foods. Focusing obsessively on "calories" dismisses some very important factors in the development of fat retention. If HB doesn't right her intake to something more akin to an evolutionarily normal diet, she may well relapse as so many have in the past, when trying to aggressively cut calories while engaging in a taxing exercise regime.

Still, I think you've done a great thing in encouraging her to take charge of her health. Clearly you were aware the bet was negative expectation from a financial perspective, and just as clearly you felt it was worth this cost.

All that remains, should HB succeed, is whether or not that success will assist others in achieving similar goals.

And that would be a very great thing...
Mission146
Mission146
August 18th, 2012 at 4:35:20 PM permalink
Quote: rudeboyoi

do you think taking NDRIs would help a person overcome overeating habits?

It can. Bupropion, also approved by the FDA as a smoking-cessation aid (essentially for the same reasons) is an example of something occasionally prescribed to aid dieting, particularly obese people. There are others, however, Bupropion is the only one of which I immediately know the name. I read an article about it at some point, don't remember when.
MrV
MrV
August 18th, 2012 at 4:46:50 PM permalink
Some anecdotal comments on "quitting:"

I quit smoking and later I quit drinking, both by going "cold turkey," without any pills, patches, hypnosis or other outside aid.

Just pure will power.

I told myself "No more!"

Therein is where the blond person will fail: she seems willing to allow herself to go back to eating like ... I mean, eating in an undisciplined fashion, both as to quality and quantity of food.

Weight loss and then long term weight management is really no different than quitting smoking or drinking: I believe it requires ZERO TOLERANCE for back-sliding / cheating.

It requires embracing a total commitment to change.

That is why I yelped about the blond person gloating about celebrating a victory at a dinner feast.

Zero tolerance, or else ...

Forks over knives!
"What, me worry?"
Mission146
Mission146
August 18th, 2012 at 5:50:42 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Yes, but we're athletes. I struggle to eat entire pizzas in one sitting for lunch and a whole chicken for dinner just to try to reach 210 by the start of a tourney, only to come out wasted three days later at the end of it at 195. That's the lifestyle. For me, maybe you, it's easy, we do/have done it all the time. We like to do it. For someone that lays around until obesity to switch to this kind of lifestyle, it's got to be bloody hard. Like, 9-to-1-against hard.

That's a great point, actually, we're accustomed to having to occasionally drop ten or more pounds, and quickly. I wouldn't yet consider msyelf even potentially an athlete again, but I'm starting to get back into form. It's funny because I used to look phenomenal at around 216 when I was younger, no longer. I'm back to being narrow, and my six-year absence of any strenuous abdominal exercise whatsoever is less noticeable, but let's just say I'm still not tucking my shirts in very tightly!

I'm just going to have to go for lean, I think, maybe in the high 180's or low-mid 190's. I don't have the time necessary to put any appreciative effort into definition...Maybe I should just let my changed diet run its course in getting me down to 200-even before I even start worrying about that.
Mission146
Mission146
August 18th, 2012 at 6:13:01 PM permalink

Some anecdotal comments on "quitting:"

I quit smoking and later I quit drinking, both by going "cold turkey," without any pills, patches, hypnosis or other outside aid.

Just pure will power.

I told myself "No more!"

Therein is where the blond person will fail: she seems willing to allow herself to go back to eating like ... I mean, eating in an undisciplined fashion, both as to quality and quantity of food.

Weight loss and then long term weight management is really no different than quitting smoking or drinking: I believe it requires ZERO TOLERANCE for back-sliding / cheating.

It requires embracing a total commitment to change.

That is why I yelped about the blond person gloating about celebrating a victory at a dinner feast.

Zero tolerance, or else ...

Forks over knives!

I disagree with this post in its entirety.

I would suggest that an ability to cease an act entirely might constitute the existence of, "Will power," but the necessity of doing such evidences the exact opposite, namely, a complete and total absence of will power.

Consider the alcoholic. It is because an alcoholic cannot have a social drink without backsliding into oblivion that the alcoholic must cease drinking completely and totally in order to recover. His symptom is alcoholism, but the diagnosis is a complete absence of will power, and ceasing drinking is not going to suddenly give him will power. If he had will power, then he could, "Recover," from alcoholism and still enjoy a social drink...and I do recognize that this is the case with some (but not most) alcoholics.

In any event, I have been dieting and steadily losing weight for a number of months, and my primary method is to ensure that I consume no beverage (besides alcohol, once/week) that has any calories. However, I have had the occasional Sunkist pop or Regular Pepsi or (my favorite) RC Cola, here and there. I would say may two bottles of empty-calorie pop, per month, on average. I ate some cake and ice cream and my daughter's birthday party last month, as well as my son's birthday party in February. I'll also eat the occasional cup of Fat Free Sherbet, mainly because my son loves it so we always have some. Empty calories, there.

However, due to the existence of willpower, as opposed to the opposite, I can eat cake/ice cream one day and then be right back to my normal diet routine the next day. I can drink a bottle of regular Pepsi just because I feel like it and then go without any beverage containing calories for multiple days thereafter. I could, very easily, never drink a beverage containing calories, eat cake or eat ice cream again for as long as I live, and the main reason I do not refrain from doing such is because I don't have to.

Why?

Willpower.

HB has demonstrated tremendous willpower in losing the amount of weight that she has lost, and if she feels that continued good health and physical attractiveness are sufficient motivators, then she can enjoy the occasional binge dinner while keeping her weight at a level considered healthy.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
August 19th, 2012 at 2:22:51 AM permalink

With all due respect to who are, presumably, the soon-to-be losers of this bet, I think that 9-1 is a horrible lay. I suppose everyone can take those words with a grain of salt as I had not stated that at the time this challenge started, but nor did I know this Forum so much as existed, at that point. I probably would have laid either 2-1 or 3-1

Mission, I thought that 9-1 was a good bet for those who expected failure. I looked at it this way.... there is a reason, or reasons, someone lets themselves go to the point of obesity. If it were even close to being easy to shed those pounds, then you would think that the person would do so without the lure of a few thousand dollars. The fact that HB even said she was NOT willing to do this without a financial compensation made me MORE likely to think she would fail. The fact that she is likely (we don't know because she has not posted her weight in a few weeks) to succeed, just means she did something few could do.
At the time of the bet there were some who thought 50 - 1 was a fair price. I would say if we rounded up 100 obese people of equal means to HB, and offerred this deal, less than 11 out of 100 would have succeeded.
QuadCore
QuadCore
  • Threads: 3
August 19th, 2012 at 5:30:58 AM permalink
SOOPOO, have you ever heard the term "No good deed goes unpunished"?

Now you pay for your good deeds, you stalkerish, bully...
QuadCore
QuadCore
August 19th, 2012 at 6:07:30 AM permalink
BTW, I still support, just as I have in the past, HBs battle against obesity. I give her all the credit for losing the massive weight that she has and I think that 9:1 odds were appropriate given the difficult task at hand. She has proved many people wrong (including myself) that did not feel that she could make it. There were people who, at one point, thought that she would not only fail but then not show up for the weigh-in and not pay anybody and she rightfully will get the last laugh on that one.

Anyway there has been a lot of fighting and disagreement over what people expected with this bet. I think we should all go back to the first post of this tread, which clearly states the terms, and were nicely summarized by HB:

a) HB weighs 160.8 or less on October 17th
b) she not use any diuretics
c) she not utilize any weight loss surgery

As far as weighing 160.8 pounds or less this has be verified in some form, which can be through the Wizard, SOOPOO, a doc, or a lawyer, it doesn't matter as long as HB meets the above terms she wins the bet. Everything else such as HB posting her weights regularly and bloggin about it or getting her money in person or HB getting an extra expensive dinner are purely expectations that may or may not be met and understandably there will be some dissapointment when they are not met.

Clearly HB has gone from somewhat of a heroine to somewhat of a villian in this thread. It's just that when you call a man a bully and a stalker and threaten to call the police on him without good reason, this will invoke feelings of anger in most men and this is a male dominated forum. It just creates a b**** picture in most men's minds and thoughts like "who does she think of herself?" "yea she may have lost weight and look pretty but she cant say s*** like that..."

Anyway, the bottom line is that you are on the verge of an incredible success story and you should not let anything dissuade you from acheiving your goal. Your weight loss story despite the setbacks will be an inspiration to many including myself who has struggled with weight loss and knows how easy it is to lose focus and give in when you're faced with adversity. I thought that this would be a forum focused on weight loss and discussions on ways to lose weight and be healthy but it has been dominated by drama and has kept many people reading. I can (not so) proudly say that I have read every page of this crazy stuff.

Finally, I think that even though you may not like SOOPOO and liken him to a bully and a stalker, I think that you at the very least owe him a big thank you on Oct 17 when you win and collect the money for helping you get the financial and mental motivation necessary for you to acheive this incredible weight loss goal. Hec I think that you would not even have lost all the weight at this point in your life and overcome all the adversity (hit by a car, huge back issues needing narcotics off the wazoo) if it weren't for the financial motivation and this thread set in place by SOOPOO. Maybe you can even take him to dinner at an affordable restaurant to thank him for his part in your life changing experience. He'll probably end up paying for it anyway...

Ok I've said what I have to say. You can like me or hate me for it but I feel that I was as honest as I could be. Take care and good luck Ms Hot Blonde :)
Mission146
Mission146
August 20th, 2012 at 8:05:01 AM permalink

Mission, I thought that 9-1 was a good bet for those who expected failure. I looked at it this way.... there is a reason, or reasons, someone lets themselves go to the point of obesity. If it were even close to being easy to shed those pounds, then you would think that the person would do so without the lure of a few thousand dollars. The fact that HB even said she was NOT willing to do this without a financial compensation made me MORE likely to think she would fail. The fact that she is likely (we don't know because she has not posted her weight in a few weeks) to succeed, just means she did something few could do.
At the time of the bet there were some who thought 50 - 1 was a fair price. I would say if we rounded up 100 obese people of equal means to HB, and offerred this deal, less than 11 out of 100 would have succeeded.

It's all about the Benjamins, baby! (I'm not literally calling you, "Baby," just for the record, it's from an old-school rap song) 11:100, same bet? Maybe. I would contest that no fewer than 25 would succeed. Let's reverse it, though, how about win $90,000 or lose $9,000, how many succeed, then? How about win $9 or lose $1? I bet zero would succeed under those circumstances!!!

There's dangling a baby carrot, a large carrot, and then a whole carrot stalk, how fast do you want the horse (Used as a metaphor, directed at NOBODY) to run?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
August 21st, 2012 at 7:59:12 AM permalink
MrV asked about legal remedies for collecting wins on the HB challenge if a loser welshes. That led to a discussion of the legality of home poker games and what court, if any, would hear disputes in said games. All that discussion was split off to Legality of friendly bets and home poker games.

A post that was moved there, that shouldn't have been, is this table posted by HB on 7/24. Obviously, SOOPOO has been moved off the "attending" column since then.

Updated list-
October 17th HotBlonde Weight Loss Challenge Weigh-In:
Attending Maybe Attending Not Yet Responded Not Attending
HotBlonde AcesandEights lucyjr LarsLarson
Wizard Golfbuddy vegas Sami B.
SOOPOO SOOPOO's lady friend sunrise089 texasplumr
Switch Jennifer** Catherine** ConsultantDave
rdw4potus* Denise** Avery** SportingGoodsMike
Raquel** Dad
Zerina** Mission146
thecesspit
Nareed
buzzpaff
teddys
pacomartin
DJTeddyBear
FrGamble
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
August 21st, 2012 at 8:22:07 AM permalink
I don't have a wager on this challenge, so I never had any plans to attend, but the re-posting of that table made me look again at the weigh-in date. That is the exact day that I plan to be in Monaco and visiting the Casino de Monte-Carlo. I think I'll have more fun with that visit that I would have watching the weigh-in, no matter how hot the star of this thread is. Just hope that those who do attend have a lot of their own kind of fun.
MrV
MrV
August 21st, 2012 at 8:31:05 AM permalink
I did a little checking on Nevada law, and am concerned that the WIZ might possibly be violating it by allowing the bets to be made, booked and discussed on his site.

see ...

NRS 465.092 Accepting, receiving or allowing another to accept or receive wager from person physically present in this state prohibited under certain circumstances; penalty.

1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 465.094, a person, alone or with others, shall not knowingly, within or outside of this state:

(a) Accept or receive, directly or indirectly, through any medium of communication a wager from another person who is physically present within this state; or

(b) Allow a lessee, agent or employee to accept or receive, directly or indirectly, through any medium of communication a wager from another person who is physically present within this state.

2. If a person engages in conduct in violation of subsection 1 and the person is outside of this state at the time of the offense:

(a) The offense shall be deemed to commence outside of this state;

(b) The offense shall be deemed to be consummated within this state; and

(c) The person may be prosecuted within this state pursuant to the provisions of NRS 171.015.

3. A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(Added to NRS by 1997, 3318)

NRS 465.093 Placing, sending, transmitting or relaying wagers to another person prohibited under certain circumstances; penalty.

1. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 465.094, a person, alone or with others, shall not knowingly:

(a) From within this state, place, send, transmit or relay through a medium of communication a wager to another person or an establishment that is located within or outside of this state; or

(b) From outside of this state, place, send, transmit or relay through a medium of communication a wager to another person or an establishment that is located within this state.

2. A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(Added to NRS by 1997, 3319)

NRS 463.01962 “Wager” defined. “Wager” means a sum of money or representative of value that is risked on an occurrence for which the outcome is uncertain.

(Added to NRS by 1997, 3497)

Sure, he isn't taking the wager himself, but he is allowing others to make wagers on his site.

A gray area?

Probably not a problem, just food for thought.

Of course, a prudent man just might consider deleting the entire Hot Blonde thread; who needs problems?
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 21st, 2012 at 9:41:55 AM permalink
I would argue that the spirit of that law is going after organized unlicensed betting to the general public. Furthermore, this is just a venue of discussion. I make no promises that any winners will be paid, except that I personally honor my own gambling debts. It wouldn't surprise me if I could dig up a similar regulation for Washington DC, and as mentioned before, some of the members of the Supreme Court attend a home poker game. I could be wrong on this, but I think when Obama and John Boehner played golf earlier this year they had a small wager on the game.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
August 21st, 2012 at 10:20:32 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I would argue that the spirit of that law is going after organized unlicensed betting to the general public. Furthermore, this is just a venue of discussion. I make no promises that any winners will be paid, except that I personally honor my own gambling debts. It wouldn't surprise me if I could dig up a similar regulation for Washington DC, and as mentioned before, some of the members of the Supreme Court attend a home poker game. I could be wrong on this, but I think when Obama and John Boehner played golf earlier this year they had a small wager on the game.

There are also bets between governors and mayors over the results of sporting events. The mayors of Buffalo have had to send chicken wings to numerous conqueror's of the Bills and Sabres over the years. I do not recall any police investigation.....
MrV
MrV
August 21st, 2012 at 12:26:17 PM permalink
What concerns me is this provision: "a person, alone or with others, shall not knowingly:

(a) From within this state, place, send, transmit or relay through a medium of communication a wager to another person or an establishment that is located within or outside of this state"

Wiz, you are allowing your forum to act as "a medium of communication" to allow members to "relay ... a wager."

Stated differently: you are allowing members to use your site as a place to make / place bets, one to the other.

That would seem to be proscribed.
"What, me worry?"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
August 21st, 2012 at 1:05:03 PM permalink

What concerns me is this provision: "a person, alone or with others, shall not knowingly:

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but to me there is a difference between a bet and a wager. A bet is more informal, usually between friends, and the loser is on the honor system to pay the winner. A wager is more of a formal contract and generally made against somebody in the business of accepting wagers.
kulin
kulin
  • Threads: 9
August 21st, 2012 at 3:01:47 PM permalink
Wow. I managed to get myself out of the politics thread but after 5 days I couldn't stop myself from catching up on this one.

After reading the PMs it seems there's a couple things going on here:

1) A person's body is undergoing extreme changes. One side of that leads to an apparently unrestrained ego that has escaped years of repression. The other side is that the person may be hyper sensitive and disagreeable during the transition.

2) It looks an awful lot to me like SOOPOO and HotBlonde both stepped into this thinking that they could have gotten something beyond the bet out of it and it turned sour when that changed. SOOPOO had $1200 invested in changing the appearance of someone he started an online relationship with. HotBlonde thought she might have landed a high paid doctor. Maybe it's all wrong, but that's what I see.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 21st, 2012 at 3:23:07 PM permalink
Quote: kulin

SOOPOO had $1200 invested in changing the appearance of someone he started an online relationship with. HotBlonde thought she might have landed a high paid doctor. .

Yes! Thats the conclusion I came to also. Its the only
explanation for her complete over reaction to the innocent
sounding PM's. She's acting like a rejected potential
girlfriend who is so angry she will call the police if he
even comes near her. He's smart if he stays completely
out of Vegas during the weigh in, hell hath no fury like
a woman scorned, or so I've heard.

Which isn't Shakespeare, but another playwright from
the 1600's:

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
August 21st, 2012 at 3:48:05 PM permalink
Ah, it's what's on the inside that counts. Intestines, liver, gall bladder...
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 21st, 2012 at 5:30:17 PM permalink
Quote: kulin

It looks an awful lot to me like SOOPOO and HotBlonde both stepped into this thinking that they could have gotten something beyond the bet out of it ....

I always assumed that there was some implicit code in which the odds were quoted or something. I mean why would anyone take nine to one odds on it if it were just weight loss and a hand shake?
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
August 21st, 2012 at 6:00:49 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but to me there is a difference between a bet and a wager. A bet is more informal, usually between friends, and the loser is on the honor system to pay the winner. A wager is more of a formal contract and generally made against somebody in the business of accepting wagers.

I am with you on this one Wiz - there has been no money held on account or transferred to anyone through this site. It would be like you and I making a bet for one hundred gazillion bajillion dollars here - nothing has been placed in escrow or on account to solidify the wager - it is on the honor system among friends and, without hard cash or funding of a wager, all of this is in the realm of hypotheticals/fantasy
QuadCore
QuadCore
August 22nd, 2012 at 8:30:32 AM permalink
http://health.yahoo.net/articles/weight-loss/photos/michelle-mohrs-inspiring-weight-loss-tale#0

Could this be HotBlonde 2 months from know. I know the starting and ending weights are different, but the transformation is amazing!!
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 30th, 2012 at 9:26:36 PM permalink
How is this possible? No posts since August 22..... Is the universe about to split ?
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 31st, 2012 at 12:51:16 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

How is this possible? No posts since August 22..... Is the universe about to split ?

That's okay with me. HotBlonde's last post was Aug. 17th and that's okay with me ,too. At that time she said that would be her last post for a while. Staying away can't be easy for her. If she has the determination to do that then I think she has the determination to prevail in her challenge.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
September 5th, 2012 at 12:39:44 PM permalink
I'm not going to make it to the actual weigh-in, but I will be making a trip to Vegas on the following weekend (10/19-10/21). I will settle up with HotBlonde one way or the other and hopefully get to meet some forum members. Other than that my plan for the weekend is to work on my AP skills and limit my craps play, while burning down as much of my MLife express comps and TR credits as possible, since I don't know when I'll be back.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
September 5th, 2012 at 1:25:29 PM permalink
I've just booked my Vegas flights and I'm heading there earlier than I initially planned. I'm staying from Sept 16th - Oct 14th so won't be able to make the weigh-in.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 5th, 2012 at 1:28:52 PM permalink
Talk about a British Invasion. Switch and Mr Casino Games goes to Vegas every ttme I turn around. But I am hoping to make it twice in one year WOW
Switch
Switch
  • Threads: 12
September 5th, 2012 at 5:48:15 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Talk about a British Invasion. Switch and Mr Casino Games goes to Vegas every ttme I turn around. But I am hoping to make it twice in one year WOW

Steve isn't attending G2E this year ... I guess that counts him out of the WOV meet-up too.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
September 6th, 2012 at 8:22:10 AM permalink
Damn. And I was gonna show how my chip tricks. LOL
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
September 17th, 2012 at 9:28:23 AM permalink
One month to go.
  • Jump to: