Thread Rating:

Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 24th, 2012 at 9:12:35 PM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

*October 17th is his birthday so it'll be a double celebration

Neat!

But this means dinner ought to be at a place with good cake :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 117
July 25th, 2012 at 2:06:17 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

That sounds a lot more serious than what you've been posting about lately. I hope there's someone nearby who can give you a hand. Also, I've no idea what the situation is in claifornia, but can you get some sort of worker's comp or disability because you're not able to work? You should look into it.

I am an independent contractor so there is no help in that regard. I have just started asking my family and friends for help. I HATE having to ask for financial help. It's very awkward. Plus it's embarrassing because I'm a 35 year old woman who should be able to take care of my self. Ironically, after I came out of my pain a couple months ago I made it a goal to at least put a month's worth of rent in savings but just as I was about done catching up on my bills and ready to do that this new cycle of back issues came about. I didn't expect this to happen so quickly after my last bout. I've even gone over a year with no back pain issues so for this to have happened right away again, and especially now that I've lost a bunch of weight, is surprising to me. But this is the position I'm in, unfortunately. If only I had a nice husband to help take care of me!!
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
July 25th, 2012 at 2:07:54 PM permalink

It's like you read what you want in this thread. You think I sat comfortably and peacefully in the back of the cab on the way to the hospital?

It's like you read what you want actually :)
Where did I say I thought that?

Quote:

I don't need to be incapacitated in order to qualify to go to the ER.

No, legally, you don't.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 25th, 2012 at 2:09:51 PM permalink

I HATE having to ask for financial help. It's very awkward. Plus it's embarrassing because I'm a 35 year old woman who should be able to take care of my self.

Do take it easy on yourself. After all, you're in the midst of an emergency. Once you get past it, no doubt you'll be able to manage on your own again.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
July 25th, 2012 at 2:10:09 PM permalink
I just split off some posts to Are emergency rooms supposed to be for emergencies only?. While doing that, the two posts above came in. I would ask that those making those posts make them again in the Emergency Room thread and that nobody else reply to them here.

Thank you.

If only I had a nice husband to help take care of me!!

Three words -- accountant, accountant, accountant.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 25th, 2012 at 2:45:24 PM permalink
Yet another spin-off, based on my three words of advice. For more on that, please visit Nerdy accountant seeks SWF.
QuadCore
QuadCore
  • Threads: 3
July 25th, 2012 at 3:34:41 PM permalink
Wizard, you started my first thread on this forum for me. You are a great man :)

Sorry about the distraction...
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 25th, 2012 at 9:16:13 PM permalink
Regarding the post-weigh-in dinner, I'd like to suggest that the winner(s) pay. Comments?
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 25th, 2012 at 9:19:55 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Regarding the post-weigh-in dinner, I'd like to suggest that the winner(s) pay. Comments?

I guess I'll have to cancel the reservation then.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 25th, 2012 at 9:53:50 PM permalink

I guess I'll have to cancel the reservation then.

Perhaps something more economical then, like a nice burgers and beer and place.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 25th, 2012 at 10:32:06 PM permalink

Perhaps something more economical then, like a nice burgers and beer and place.

Well, before I responded here I looked up the menu at the place where I made reservations to check the prices to compare with the place you suggested, and it shows no prices on my menu. Which probably means it's pretty expensive, so you're right. I wasn't looking for an expensive place but did want something nicer than burgers and beer. Since you said it was up to me to pick the kind of food, I am totally willing to pick a place that is more affordable for everyone but I don't want to pick a place that I really don't want to go to just so people can spend $5 per person. I'll do more research and we can talk more about this in private if you like since you said that you wanted to keep the location under wraps.

But I wasn't expecting anyone to pay for my meal nor was I expecting me to cover everyone else's. I figured everyone would just pay for their own meal since people will probably be bringing girlfriends, wives, and I'm inviting family and friends of mine, and so forth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 25th, 2012 at 10:42:07 PM permalink
Why don't we table this until it get closer, and discuss it by PM.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 25th, 2012 at 10:50:52 PM permalink
I'm PMing you now. I think it's mighty close, it's only 12 weeks from today!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 26th, 2012 at 12:03:50 AM permalink

I think it's mighty close, it's only 12 weeks from today!

It's a boy! It's a girl! It's twins!

(sound so much like a baby is on the way)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 26th, 2012 at 12:19:28 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

It's a boy! It's a girl! It's twins!

(sound so much like a baby is on the way)

Oh, haha. No, this is more important than giving birth. (Well, technically I am giving birth to a new body!) And coinicidentally this is something that will have taken 9 months to produce!! :-O
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 27th, 2012 at 6:11:11 PM permalink
So, I'm still excited about my upcoming weigh-in! It's funny but I feel like it's next week, I'm probably just as excited now as I will be that week before!

I'm hoping as time draws near more of you will be interested in attending. I've cancelled my original weigh-in plans and have been calling around, trying to figure out some other options. I will PM final details once they are set to those who are planning on attending. Anyone who wants to come and have a great time and celebrate with me my accomplishment is welcome. As I said before I hope to have personally lost at least 100.0 pounds by then! I'm looking forward to a fun, drama-free time with positive people. I'm already ready to party! The weigh-in time has changed once again and will most likely be sometime in the afternoon on that day.

My attendees list has been updated. My friend Catherine and one of my cousins will not be able to make it, but another cousin of mine is totally excited and wants to come and should be bringing a girl friend along with her as well. Zerina's 26 and although she's been to Vegas she's never had the chance to party there, only sightsee briefly while driving through. She was the first one on my list of family to invite cuz she's a fun party girl!

Updated list-
October 17th HotBlonde Weight Loss Challenge Weigh-In Attendees:
Attending Maybe Attending Not Yet Responded Not Attending
HotBlonde AcesandEights - "60% chance" lucyjr LarsLarson
Wizard Jennifer** - as long as she can get a sub sunrise089 Sami B.
Switch Denise** Avery** texasplumr
rdw4potus* Zerina** - very likely (this will be her first time partying in Vegas) ConsultantDave
Rachel** SportingGoodsMike
vegas - "possible I could swing a trip up to Vegas" Dad
Mission146
thecesspit
Nareed
buzzpaff
teddys
pacomartin
DJTeddyBear
FrGamble
Raquel**
SOOPOO
Golfbuddy
SOOPOO's lady friend
Catherine**

*October 17th is his birthday so it'll be a double celebration
**Personal friends/relatives of HotBlonde
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
July 27th, 2012 at 6:23:07 PM permalink
I should pay more attention...Soopoo is not attending? Hmmmm.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 27th, 2012 at 6:37:11 PM permalink
great idea, winner pays.
if hotblonde wins you each get 1200 calories in honor of her daily consumption!
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 27th, 2012 at 6:39:54 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

great idea, winner pays.
if hotblonde wins you each get 1200 calories in honor of her daily consumption!

I don't get it
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 27th, 2012 at 6:41:31 PM permalink
He's saying that in honor of your diet consisting of 1200 calories/day, they should order as close to 1,200 calories/meal as possible with you (as winner) paying.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 27th, 2012 at 6:47:31 PM permalink

I don't get it

so you don't have to pay that much, they each only get 1200 calories.
that way they get a real feel for what you did to accomplish your goal.
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
July 27th, 2012 at 6:49:22 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

I should pay more attention...Soopoo is not attending? Hmmmm.

It appears I've been disinvited.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
July 27th, 2012 at 6:51:15 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

That seems a little....strange....oh well, I suppose you will have to find something else to do while in Vegas. I know it will be tough, and I wish you the best of luck.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 27th, 2012 at 7:00:16 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

He's saying that in honor of your diet consisting of 1200 calories/day, they should order as close to 1,200 calories/meal as possible with you (as winner) paying.

Um, well, I don't know who volunteered me to foot the bill but I never said I was paying for dinner. Those who attend the weigh in are welcome to join me for dinner but I never said I was treating.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 27th, 2012 at 8:06:12 PM permalink
As an update, the plan is to have a dinner at a reasonably-priced restaurant (on a need-to-know basis) and everybody pays his/her own way, to avoid any guessing game. As always, bring lots of small, or large, bills if you wish to wager on trivia.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 28th, 2012 at 2:06:34 PM permalink
So I've noticed that when I tell people that I stand to win several thousand dollars for winning the 9-month long weight loss challenge, most people are wowed. "Thats a lot of money!" I'm still excited about the money that I stand to win, but I just did some calculations...

When I compare the income I made LAST year from Jan 9th, 2011 - July 27th, 2011 to the income I've made so far THIS year from
Jan 9th, 2012 - July 27th, 2012 there's already a big difference. Between Jan 9th and July 27th of LAST year I made $27,770. Between those times so far this year I've made only $16,763. That's an $11,007 difference. And if you use that amount to apply it to Jan 9th to Oct 16th of this year (and I'm not even including the vacation days I'm taking from the 17th - 22nd of October of this year) I could lose a total of about $15,442.66 in income.

I won't take back what I've been saying about my weight loss program being easy, that's still true. But the great amount of time I've had to put in to tons of gym time, planning, shopping for, preparing and eating the 6 meals I eat per day, all the extra dishes I've had to do (with no dishwasher), nutrition and exercise research I've done, blogging and commenting on my success here in the forum (now you can see why I had to cut some of this out to save me time so I can work more), and the extra amount of sleep my body needs each day due to the lack of calorie intake and exercise output has all added up. Of course this year I've had more issues with my back than I did during the same times last year and that has created some down time as well. The only thing that I would say was a struggle was just adjusting during the first 10 weeks or so to my program. I seemed to be always busy and not have enough time to catch up with everything, and I stressed out about it. Now I've got my whole program down pat and it's never been easier!

But in no way am I complaining! I'd rather stand to win $6,818 to offset my income losses rather than have had to lose all this weight on my own and have had just lost all that money altogether! I always try to look at the positive in any situation.

As you know I won't be reporting my weigh ins for the rest of the challenge nor posting any pictures of myself, but that doesn't mean I might not drop little hints here and there! I love the element of surprise and want my final in-person reveal to be really special. :)

Can't wait to start shopping for my bikini outfit for the weigh-in!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
July 30th, 2012 at 10:06:42 AM permalink

As an update, the plan is to have a dinner at a reasonably-priced restaurant (on a need-to-know basis) and everybody pays his/her own way, to avoid any guessing game. As always, bring lots of small, or large, bills if you wish to wager on trivia.

Do you accept dollar coins for trivia wagers? I'm a dollar coin enthusiast/evangelist :)

Seriously though, I don't think I'll be able to make it even though I would love too. If it were a weekend the chances would be much better, but hopefully (crosses fingers) I'll be gainfully employed 12 weeks from now, so taking a couple of days off in the middle of the week would be tough. It's still possible though. If I book the trip I'll get in touch with the key folks to figure out where we're going.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
QuadCore
QuadCore
  • Threads: 3
July 30th, 2012 at 1:26:58 PM permalink

WHAT!? SOOPOO has been disinvited. That doesn't sound right. He has been one of the strongest advocates for HB's success and for acquiring the bets that HB will probably be collecting in OCT. Just read the first few pages of this thread and you'll know what I'm talking about. Early on, he was even willing to use his own money to back up the bets that were made when people were doubting that the bet was real. Hec this bet may not have existed if not for SOOPOO and he's disinvited. Doesn't sound right...

BTW I'm not downplaying the efforts that HB has put in to lose the weight. That is just awesome. But as far as the financial side of this bet, which is a strong motivator for HB, I would give a good portion of the credit to SOOPOO.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
July 30th, 2012 at 1:55:06 PM permalink
Quote: QuadCore

BTW I'm not downplaying the efforts that HB has put in to lose the weight. That is just awesome. But as far as the financial side of this bet, which is a strong motivator for HB, I would give a good portion of the credit to SOOPOO.

Oops. Now you are spreading negativity. Watch out or you will be disinvited too!
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
July 30th, 2012 at 2:16:34 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

It appears I've been disinvited

That seems a little....strange....oh well, I suppose you will have to find something else to do while in Vegas. I know it will be tough, and I wish you the best of luck.

That seems strange to you? Have you been reading this whole thread? If there weren't some new kind of interpersonal drama every week on this thread I would think THAT would be strange.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 30th, 2012 at 3:36:29 PM permalink
Quote: QuadCore

WHAT!? SOOPOO has been disinvited. That doesn't sound right.

SOOPOO has been on and off the guest list quite a few times. Currently, he is off the list, per the request of HB. I shouldn't state any more, but let's just say there is also a lot of drama behind the scenes.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 30th, 2012 at 3:42:14 PM permalink
Can I lay a 50/50 bet that he'll be there in the end? :)
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
July 30th, 2012 at 3:49:52 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Can I lay a 50/50 bet that he'll be there in the end? :)

Isn't a Lay bet the negative side, so you would Lay 50/50 that SOOPOO is not there?
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
July 30th, 2012 at 4:09:23 PM permalink
It appears that someone doesn't play well with others and I don't mean SOOPOO. What a slap in the face!
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 30th, 2012 at 4:11:52 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

Isn't a Lay bet the negative side, so you would Lay 50/50 that SOOPOO is not there?

In gambling terminology "lay" means that you're risking more money than you stand to get if you win. For example, in the last Super Bowl the Patriots were favored, so if you wanted to bet on them straight up (no point spread) you had to risk $170 to win $100, or whatever it was. So, if you're asking for an even money bet then you're not "laying." To rephrase cesspit's question, I would go with "Anybody want to bet me even money that SOOPOO will be there in the end?"

Now, if someone could explain to me the difference between lie and lay.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 30th, 2012 at 4:27:40 PM permalink
Lie is what dice setters do !
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 30th, 2012 at 5:06:23 PM permalink

In gambling terminology "lay" means that you're risking more money than you stand to get if you win. For example, in the last Super Bowl the Patriots were favored, so if you wanted to bet on them straight up (no point spread) you had to risk $170 to win $100, or whatever it was. So, if you're asking for an even money bet then you're not "laying." To rephrase cesspit's question, I would go with "Anybody want to bet me even money that SOOPOO will be there in the end?"

That's a far better way of explaining it...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 30th, 2012 at 7:17:50 PM permalink
HB and I are like oil and water. At times we are as separate as can be. But sometimes we seem to be like a good salad dressing. I told HB that I would like to see a picture of her to compare her to from my recollection, and also asked her to keep posting her blog, or at a minimum her Monday weight. She refused both requests. I told her that those betting real money against her would rather be prepared, either to round up the mopney to pay her, or not, and were not interested in the need for a surprise. She didn't seem to care for my line of reasoning.
Anyway, the main thing is that this formerly obese woman has battled through many trials and tribulations and is poised to accomplish what many of us thought was not possible! You'll need a police barricade to keep me away from the weigh in! Unless of course she does it before I arrive, which is within her rights as per the official rules of the challenge.
By the way, I have informed golfbuddy of his likely loss........
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 30th, 2012 at 8:18:32 PM permalink
" HB and I are like oil and water. " My analogy would have been like a moth and a flame.
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
July 30th, 2012 at 8:40:26 PM permalink

In gambling terminology "lay" means that you're risking more money than you stand to get if you win.

There are adjective and noun meanings, but there are three different verbs with the following conjugations
bare infinitive, past, past participle
1) lay, laid, laid
2) lie, lay, lain
3) lie, lied, lied (regular conjugation)

All the verbs come from different root words
1) "to lay" to put someone or something down in a careful way, especially so that they are lying flat. Also means "to deposit". From Anglo Saxon lecgan
2) "to lie" means to rest horizontally, from Anglo Saxon licgan
3) "to lie" means to speak falsely, tell an untruth,from Anglo Saxon legan and/or ligan.

The confusion is that the past tense of "lie" is the same as the bare infinitive of "lay".

The concept of having to deposit something extra in gambling, is behind the idea of "laying a bet". The concept of "laying a bet" is very old, going back over a thousand years. If you have to bet $120 in order to win $100 then you are "laying the bet", while your opponent is "taking the bet". This idea of "depositing" is at the heart of phrases like "laying an egg" or the vulgar sense of "getting laid". Note that "laid" is the past tense of verb #1 above.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 30th, 2012 at 9:13:19 PM permalink
Will any of this thread help me to get laid ?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 30th, 2012 at 9:35:41 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Will any of this thread help me to get laid ?

Only if the prospective sexual partner is an English teacher.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
July 30th, 2012 at 9:42:34 PM permalink

You'll need a police barricade to keep me away from the weigh in!

Funny how you purposely leave half the story out. Trying to make yourself look good and me look bad? No! Not sweet, innocent, great-guy SOOPOO! I would suggest you leave our private business off the public forum. Not only do I not want you at the weigh in I don't want you anywhere NEAR the specific places I told you I'll be when I'm there. If you seriously show up against my request I will, as YOU said, get the police involved. Don't test me! I'm so not kidding right now!!! Stay the hell away from me.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
July 30th, 2012 at 10:15:00 PM permalink

Stay the hell away from me.

Ooo. At least I feel vindicated for wanting to keep the location of the venues on a need to know basis.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 31st, 2012 at 5:17:45 AM permalink
Quote: MakingBook

Earlier I said the odds should be 50-1 minimum. Upon further review, I'd estimate 100-1 would be more realistic.

I'll be doing a summary of 'The Best of The HB Challenge.'
Do you remember making that post, MakingBook? I hope you make better lines when you are "making book'!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 31st, 2012 at 5:21:57 AM permalink
Quote: Switch

HB, as I'm betting against you,may I suggest following up with a lovely chocolate bomb pudding?

I can give you the recipe if you like :-)

Mmmm

Remember that evil Switch trying to entice HB off the wagon!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 31st, 2012 at 5:26:30 AM permalink

BIG news...
I have secured an additional investor...
I have made a new lower level called the 'clergy' level...

And FrGamble is in!!!!

Wizard $1800
SOOPOO $1350
Switch $900
Golfbuddy $450
rdw4potus $450
Aces and Eights $450
Lucyjr $180
FrGamble $90

Total $5670 to win $630

Our resident priest has joined the excitement!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 31st, 2012 at 5:32:30 AM permalink

So I have a customer of mine offer to give me a $100 reward if I make my goal at weigh-in with no reward to him if I lose. If it's possible to add him to the total you can put him in as ConsultantDave for $100 to win $0.

First person to offer a 'prize' rather than treat it like a bet.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 31st, 2012 at 5:35:40 AM permalink

So my dad is in. He is betting $45 against me to win $5.

A paternal push forward.....
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
July 31st, 2012 at 5:38:01 AM permalink

Oops, didn't read this till just now. I logged on to report that I got hit by a car on the way to the gym this morning. I'm at the hospital right now awaiting X-rays. I already have an attorney dealing with the case.

Uh oh. First bump in the road. By the way, any update on 'the case'?
  • Jump to: