Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
March 25th, 2021 at 7:02:26 AM permalink
I wouldn't buy it just because of all that white stuff on the ground.

If you do buy it, you can't go too wrong for $2500 and it still runs. Being a second car how often will you use it and how mch mileage will you actually be putting on it. I have never owned a mini-van but I do like driving them.

I really want to buy a car out of the Carvana vending machine. I saw the one in Las Vegas yesterday for the first time.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 110
March 25th, 2021 at 7:14:43 AM permalink
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Very kind of you to buy a vehicle specifically to help out your brother. As long as you are prepared for the possibility of a $2500 loss go for it. I just bought a used car for wife’s daughter. It was a ‘steal’ at $13k. A BMW, blah blah blah. Already around $3k in repairs...... I always buy new......maybe not cost effective but generally less headaches.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 75
March 25th, 2021 at 7:36:55 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Very kind of you to buy a vehicle specifically to help out your brother. As long as you are prepared for the possibility of a $2500 loss go for it. I just bought a used car for wife’s daughter. It was a ‘steal’ at $13k. A BMW, blah blah blah. Already around $3k in repairs...... I always buy new......maybe not cost effective but generally less headaches.

I am like you as I get a new car as soon as the warranty is about to expire on the current car. Between my wife and I we get a new car about every 18 months or so as the warranty is usually 36 months. I believe my BMW's had 48 month bumper to bumper warranty but who wants a four year old car. I am proud to say that I haven't had any car issues in over 20 years and I have never had to buy a new set of tires.

Edit: I did have a problem with my first BMW convertible as the top quit going up and down. It was in the shop for over a month but they gave me a more expensive car as a loaner.
Living longer does not always infer +EV
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
  • Threads: 41
March 25th, 2021 at 8:30:56 AM permalink
I can hardly go 500 miles without a visit to the garage, or a tow.
Sg
Sg
  • Threads: 1
March 25th, 2021 at 8:34:50 AM permalink
All German cars are usually not reliable.They have so much more places to go wrong ( over designed) Go do some research . I have done a bit of used cars searching . Try Carfax. Look up car odometer tampering ( huge issue). Learn what to look for before buying a used cars . after that YOU MUST BRING TO IT AMA /MECHANIC TO DO A THROUGH SAFETY INSPECTION WHICH IS A MUST. LOOK UP YOUR MODEL YEAR FOR RECALL , DEFECTS ,KNOWN PROBLEMS WHICH ONLY MECHANICS KNOW (CAUSE THEY GET SO MUSH OF THEM). I HAVE HAD 1 /3 CAR ODOMETER TAMPERING , Engine leaking oil, coolant burning, head gasket problems all related to a failing engine( engine replacement needed) that is on its way out. A car having 250 k plus miles doesnt mean it's garbage . high mileage does much less wear n tear to the engine. The main reason for wear n tear are start up (especially in cold weather) , late/missed oil change, a lot of used car's odometer are tampered with. Most used cars dealerships are scams( 3x mark up, odometer tampering , sometimes tampering thru auction ) and so are at least 50 % of mechanic IMO. Even toyota don't owned up their mistakes with their faulty engines etc... having a full service history is a major indicator of a good buy. You should still go check it with a full safety inspection with a mechanic
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 45
March 25th, 2021 at 12:18:17 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Sunroofs and moon roofs are terrible after
a hundred thousand miles. The seals dry out
and crack. and they all leak eventually.

I don’t think you can use mileage to determine if a sunroof will be no good. I have 376k miles on my car with no leaks. It’s a 2008 I think climate and if your car is kept in a garage are more important factors
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 427
March 25th, 2021 at 1:04:00 PM permalink
I basically made the deal on this van. So I'm talking to the woman who owns it on the phone and she says, by the way, you have to start the van everyday or every other day or the battery goes dead. It started doing this last year; she bought a new battery in the fall and it drains the new battery. She's made sure nothing is on inside the vehicle none of the lights are on inside, and it still drains the battery. She took it to a guy and he can't figure it out. This is a deal-breaker for me. It's obviously what they call a parasitic short. There's a wire somewhere in the van and it's grounding out draining the battery. Why would I want a vehicle where this is happening, to have to constantly worry about the battery being dead. And I asked her when was the last time she had a new exhaust put on. She got the vehicle 7 years ago it had never had a new exhaust put on it. Guess what's going to be going bad 10 minutes after I buy it.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
March 25th, 2021 at 1:12:28 PM permalink
My battery was dying every 5 days. Just got a new ABS Control Unit, and they fixed a shorted ABS wire while fixing a wheel, and found another shorted wire for the tail light. I might be able to not drive every 7-10 days now, but then I'll have to drive an hour to recharge the battery.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 49
March 25th, 2021 at 1:18:01 PM permalink
Quote: ChumpChange

I've never had a 15 year old car make it to 130,000 miles.

You definitely have never owned a Toyota.
ChumpChange
ChumpChange
March 25th, 2021 at 1:26:43 PM permalink
I could go another 10 years before I hit 100,000 miles on my current car, but it'd be celebrating a silver anniversary by then. I'm missing out on the video enabled cars so I don't hit shoppers in the parking lots.

• Jump to: