Thread Rating:

CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
March 4th, 2021 at 12:23:41 PM permalink
Some things are not viable to calculate with a closed form solution. Most of us realize that.

I use a mix of math and simulations, depending on the project. Other things, like blackjack, require programming to calculate a solution. It's not a simulation, but it's not a pen and paper solution either.

To me, it just seems like you are a hater of the methods that you don't know how to use.

Eliot is one of the greats and he has proven himself over and over. You have only proven yourself to be able to berate people.
I heart Crystal Math.
USpapergames
USpapergames
  • Threads: 18
March 4th, 2021 at 12:35:07 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

Some things are not viable to calculate with a closed form solution. Most of us realize that.

I use a mix of math and simulations, depending on the project. Other things, like blackjack, require programming to calculate a solution. It's not a simulation, but it's not a pen and paper solution either.

To me, it just seems like you are a hater of the methods that you don't know how to use.

Eliot is one of the greats and he has proven himself over and over. You have only proven yourself to be able to berate people.

No, that's just not right. I love algorithmic programing which is the best of both worlds (math and programing). Simulations rarely ever actually copy the operations of a system. We use AI to try and replicate difficult systems right now and almost none of these programs are 100% accurate. I'm a huge believer that AI can write software far better than any human and that human programming skills are going to become worthless in the near future. We are going to see an age of AI programming were you can just tell the computer what program to make and it will make it for you, like GTP3 ;)
Math is the only true form of knowledge
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
  • Threads: 8
Thanks for this post from:
rdw4potus
March 4th, 2021 at 12:35:44 PM permalink
Quote: USpapergames

I did a lecture at UC Davis challenging their math department to solve the hand rankings probabilities for the royal deck using pure math and they all conceded including all the PhD's that made up their entire math department.

Could it be that none of them cared? I'd be on that apathy train too.
I heart Crystal Math.
USpapergames
USpapergames
March 4th, 2021 at 12:37:52 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

Could it be that none of them cared? I'd be on that apathy train too.

Trust me they cared because they desperately wanted to know how a homeless person like me figured out all the answers using nothing but Google sheets on my cell phone.
USpapergames
USpapergames
March 4th, 2021 at 12:39:37 PM permalink
Maybe it's fate I'm to meet Dr. Eliot. Maybe he can help me publish my research?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 126
March 4th, 2021 at 12:46:41 PM permalink

No, that's just not right. I love algorithmic programing which is the best of both worlds (math and programing). Simulations rarely ever actually copy the operations of a system. We use AI to try and replicate difficult systems right now and almost none of these programs are 100% accurate. I'm a huge believer that AI can write software far better than any human and that human programming skills are going to become worthless in the near future. We are going to see an age of AI programming were you can just tell the computer what program to make and it will make it for you, like GTP3 ;)

Honest Question: Why can't the best AI bots carry on a meaningful conversation? If they can't even learn how to converse properly, how might they learn how to program just by being given a thing to program?

Next Question: Wouldn't the AI have to have a point of reference? I guess what I'm asking is wouldn't you have to program into the AI a definition of a thing in order to then ask it to program that thing? How would it program something it knows nothing about?

I know AI can do some pretty amazing things. My understanding is that LC0 (also called Leela Zero) beat Stockfish in the Top Engine Chess Championship in both 2019 and the first quarter of 2020...with LC0 being an open source neural network. As I understand it, LC0 started knowing nothing about the game except the basic rules and conditions for winning. I guess Stockfish has beaten LC0 the three most recent tournaments, though.
Vultures can't be choosers.
USpapergames
USpapergames
March 4th, 2021 at 1:14:53 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Honest Question: Why can't the best AI bots carry on a meaningful conversation? If they can't even learn how to converse properly, how might they learn how to program just by being given a thing to program?

Next Question: Wouldn't the AI have to have a point of reference? I guess what I'm asking is wouldn't you have to program into the AI a definition of a thing in order to then ask it to program that thing? How would it program something it knows nothing about?

I know AI can do some pretty amazing things. My understanding is that LC0 (also called Leela Zero) beat Stockfish in the Top Engine Chess Championship in both 2019 and the first quarter of 2020...with LC0 being an open source neural network. As I understand it, LC0 started knowing nothing about the game except the basic rules and conditions for winning. I guess Stockfish has beaten LC0 the three most recent tournaments, though.

So I will happily answer all you questions but 1st could you just do some research on GTP3? I think you will learn a lot, AGI is earlier already here in its infancy state or GTP4 might be that breakthrough. But honestly my best is GPT3 is the 1st AGI program and it has already been proven to do incredible things, like programing any software from just simple a few sentences of description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqbB07n_uQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnLwUfwgyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x9AwxfjxvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8psgEDhT1MM
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 4th, 2021 at 1:16:35 PM permalink

Trust me they cared because they desperately wanted to know how a homeless person like me figured out all the answers using nothing but Google sheets on my cell phone.

Wanting to know how YOU did it is not the same thing as wanting to do it themselves. They have their own projects, classes to teach, etc. What would make them want to take on extra work, and why would that extra work be your unpaid analysis?
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
USpapergames
USpapergames
March 4th, 2021 at 1:18:54 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Wanting to know how YOU did it is not the same thing as wanting to do it themselves. They have their own projects, classes to teach, etc. What would make them want to take on extra work, and why would that extra work be your unpaid analysis?

Your correct, but my method is the only way they would ever have solved the answers by hand so its almost the same thing but ill give it to you since your so smart & its impossible for me to argue against logic.
USpapergames
USpapergames
March 4th, 2021 at 1:28:58 PM permalink
I love how your average person thinks that when AI takes over all the labor jobs are going to disappear as if AI will have the same effects like what outsourcing and offshoring has done to local labor lol. Mock my words, the 1st jobs to go when AI takes over will be programmers. I think programming might even become an abandoned language in the future since anyone will be able to program anything using AI by just giving it commands.

All those years you guys spent learning how to program will become obsolete very soon. All the knowledge and skills that I have acquired will still be highly sought after.

• Jump to: