gordonm888
gordonm888
  • Threads: 42
Thanks for this post from:
RogerKint
November 3rd, 2020 at 3:24:07 PM permalink
As for Taiwan, I have been there on a diplomatic mission for the state department. It is an Island nation with virtually zero travel cross-strait (to mainland China.) Further, Taiwan has been isolated by being lumped into all the travel bans that other nations have implemented with communist China. They also lack official recognition with most countries in the world, which makes it relatively difficult for Taiwanese nationals to travel abroad. I can't imagine a less relevant topic to amuse ourselves with than "Why does Taiwan have a better Covid record than the US?"
So many better men, a few of them friends, were dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things lived on, and so did I.
MJGolf
MJGolf
  • Threads: 8
SanchoPanza
November 3rd, 2020 at 3:49:25 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

I don't think that.

NYS shutdown and cases, deaths dropped precipitously. The shutdown saved many lives.

The NYS shutdown was done properly.

We can all agree a botched shutdown is a bad idea

No WAY was the NYS shutdown done correctly at the beginning with the forced readmittance of elderly covid patients back into nursing homes, etc. Really? Many many deaths would have been averted. How do you call that done properly??????
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
SanchoPanzaCalder
November 3rd, 2020 at 3:51:51 PM permalink

I don't think that.

NYS shutdown and cases, deaths dropped precipitously. The shutdown saved many lives.

The NYS shutdown was done properly.

We can all agree a botched shutdown is a bad idea

I hope you're joking or perhaps just uninformed about what really happened. NY was a mess! Thousands needlessly died because they shipped virus patients into the nursing homes. I think Michigan did the same thing.

Florida did it correctly, but not NY!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 80
November 3rd, 2020 at 3:56:56 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

As for Taiwan, I have been there on a diplomatic mission for the state department.

I was born there and have family there

It is an Island nation with virtually zero travel cross-strait (to mainland China.)

????????????
What planet do you live on
Flights from 47 cities in China including Wuhan
Taiwan gets about a million tourists a year from the mainland

Further, Taiwan has been isolated by being lumped into all the travel bans that other nations have implemented with communist China.

Again
WTF
Its an economic powerhouse in international trade. You make it sound like Cuba
349 billion in exports 2017. Biggest customers China, Hong Kong, Japan, USA, European Union exporting semiconductors, petrochemicals, automobile/auto parts, ships, wireless communication equipment, flat display displays, steel, electronics, plastics, computers

They also lack official recognition with most countries in the world, which makes it relatively difficult for Taiwanese nationals to travel abroad.

My relatives have no problem travelling
Taiwan does so much business around the world, travel is actually easy
32nd most powerful passport in the world, can enter 146 countries without a Visa
More powerful then China itself ranked 67 in the world, can enter 75 countries without a Visa
Last edited by: terapined on Nov 3, 2020
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 238
November 3rd, 2020 at 4:45:36 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

I hope you're joking or perhaps just uninformed about what really happened. NY was a mess! Thousands needlessly died because they shipped virus patients into the nursing homes. I think Michigan did the same thing.

Florida did it correctly, but not NY!

I actually hope you are joking.

After all you keep citing a debunked idea about nursing homes in NYC during covid.

Also, Florida??? Most states up north won't even allow Floridians to come up without a two week quarantine they are so massively spreading it. That's a great way of handling the pandemic???

I am in NY. Of course it was a mess at the beginning. This was a new pandemic crisis. It's 8 months later and NYS is the safest place right now with perhaps one death a day from Covid-19.

When people are dying and getting infected everywhere else EIGHT MONTHS IN that's an example of how not to do a shutdown
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Keyser
Keyser
November 3rd, 2020 at 4:53:57 PM permalink
Darkoz,

The data says you're wildly wrong.

The population of NY is about 19.45 million. They had about 33,187 deaths from the virus.
The population of FL is larger, at about 21.48 million. Yet they've only had about 16,833 deaths from the virus. They didn't lock down for as long, and they've lifted all shutdowns.

There's also all of the deaths that happened because of the shutdowns that aren't shown.

I don't know where you get your news, but I suspect it's from the propaganda machine. Forcing nursing homes to accept virus patients happened, and it had grave consequences.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
November 3rd, 2020 at 5:02:15 PM permalink

I am in NY. Of course it was a mess at the beginning. This was a new pandemic crisis. It's 8 months later and NYS is the safest place right now with perhaps one death a day from Covid-19.

"At least 13 new coronavirus deaths and 1,632 new cases were reported in New York on Nov. 2. Over the past week, there has been an average of 2,103 cases per day, an increase of 48 percent from the average two weeks earlier.
As of Tuesday afternoon, there have been at least 516,114 cases and 33,187 deaths in New York since the beginning of the pandemic, according to a New York Times database." nyt
darkoz
darkoz
November 3rd, 2020 at 5:10:52 PM permalink

Darkoz,

The data says you're wildly wrong.

The population of NY is about 19.45 million. They had about 33,187 deaths from the virus.
The population of FL is larger, at about 21.48 million. Yet they've only had about 16,833 deaths from the virus. They didn't lock down for as long, and they've lifted all shutdowns.

There's also all of the deaths that happened because of the shutdowns that aren't shown.

I don't know where you get your news, but I suspect it's from the propaganda machine. Forcing nursing homes to accept virus patients happened, and it had grave consequences.

The timeline is important.

Most of those deaths in NYS happened at the beginning of the pandemic in a 2 month or so period.

If you want to argue NYS has had more deaths from covid, you are correct. But examination of deaths for the entire pandemic without a timeline breakdown is just setting up lies.

The pandemic flourished in NYS for a two or three month period until the shutdowns reduced the daily death toll to about one per day. That's amazing!!! And clear evidence shutdown done properly will work to contain the epidemic

Your propaganda machine you like to listen to will spin it anyway they can but those are just sad lies.

Meanwhile Florida is still stuck in a terrible pandemic through mismanagement.
Keyser
Keyser
November 3rd, 2020 at 5:14:21 PM permalink

The timeline is important.

Most of those deaths in NYS happened at the beginning of the pandemic in a 2 month or so period.

If you want to argue NYS has had more deaths from covid, you are correct. But examination of deaths for the entire pandemic without a timeline breakdown is just setting up lies.

The pandemic flourished in NYS for a two or three month period until the shutdowns reduced the daily death toll to about one per day. That's amazing!!! And clear evidence shutdown done properly will work to contain the epidemic

Your propaganda machine you like to listen to will spin it anyway they can but those are just sad lies.

Meanwhile Florida is still stuck in a terrible pandemic through mismanagement.

Darkoz,

Sorry, but based on the data, I just can't take you seriously. There's just no way that you can justify the incredibly high death rate in NY. Again, FL has a larger population and substantially fewer deaths from the virus.

Go back, study the data and get back to us once you're up to speed.
darkoz
darkoz
SanchoPanza
November 3rd, 2020 at 5:22:48 PM permalink

Darkoz,

Sorry, but based on the data, I just can't take you seriously. There's just no way that you can justify the incredibly high death rate in NY. Again, FL has a larger population and substantially fewer deaths from the virus.

Go back, study the data and get back to us once you're up to speed.

Sorry but ignoring the timeline is incomplete data.

Start analyzing the historical aspect and not just broad math and I can take you seriously

• Jump to: