Thread Rating:

michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 1559
August 20th, 2019 at 1:09:27 PM permalink
Quote: MichaelBluejay

Yes, this is the burning question, isn't it? I do think dealers should earn more than jobs requiring a comparable amount of training because the working conditions are so poor. You're constantly breathing smoke and have to deal with a steady stream of rude and hostile customers. Most $30k/yr. jobs probably aren't nearly as stressful.

There's a spectrum of opinion on this, from people who object to tipping at all (this forum is filled with them), to those who tip generously. I'm in the middle. I believe in tipping, but tip less than the extra generous players.



Some of those poor conditions have to be offset by the fact they get a 20 minute break every 80 minutes.

Thereís very few jobs at that level where you are never required to work more than an hour straight.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 153
  • Posts: 5604
August 20th, 2019 at 1:11:20 PM permalink
A good addition would be tips on flying the cheapest from different cities by adding legs to gain the most miles.

An example is flying from PHL to LAS nonstop gives you 2176 award and status miles. But at times it is cheaper and you can earn more miles by flying PHL to MIA to DFW or PNX, then to LAS. While it adds time, you can save money and achieve preferred status quicker. For those with extra time, itís a huge AP opportunity on both ends, saving money and earning miles & status.

I am using AA as an example from Philadelphia but Iím sure this can be common from other East Coast cities and on other carriers. Stopping in CLT, ORD and LAX are also opportunities from PHL but usually do not gain many extra miles or are higher in price.

The key is to be flexible in your flight time and look everyday once you have a trip planned. Also do not sign in and clear cookies as the possibly is there that they track how many times you look at a certain flight, though that has not been proven.

Note I do not recommend leg skipping as you are risking losing miles earned and your airline status, along with getting your return trip canceled if you booked RT.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Joined: Oct 14, 2009
  • Threads: 1223
  • Posts: 20327
August 20th, 2019 at 1:16:26 PM permalink
There is a scene in Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood of hippies in bare feet dumpster diving. The reaction of the character seeing it was as if he saw it all the time.

Question for the older members -- Was this an actual thing in the 60's? If not, and sorry to ask a stupid question, but what did unemployed hippies eat?

I'd like to remind the forum of the new rule against making devise political statements, so be careful. Statements of fact only please.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3423
August 20th, 2019 at 1:21:49 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

There is a scene in Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood of hippies in bare feet dumpster diving. The reaction of the character seeing it was as if he saw it all the time.

Question for the older members -- Was this an actual thing in the 60's? If not, and sorry to ask a stupid question, but what did unemployed hippies eat?

I'd like to remind the forum of the new rule against making devise political statements, so be careful. Statements of fact only please.



Are all facts non divisive? How does one determine what is fact if they had to ask the question in the first place? This seems like a trap. I will pass.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
  • Threads: 421
  • Posts: 23261
August 20th, 2019 at 2:00:28 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Question for the older members -- Was this an actual thing in the 60's?



There were no dumpsters like the
ones they have now in my area
in the 60's. I looked it up and
the things were invented by
the Dempster Brothers and called
the Dempster-Dumpster System.
There is actually a long and
interesting article on Wiki about
dumpster diving:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_diving
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Joined: Aug 18, 2014
  • Threads: 24
  • Posts: 2205
Thanks for this post from:
MaxPen
August 20th, 2019 at 2:32:43 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath

My biggest issue is deciding what I think a dealer should earn. Their education puts them on par with a $30k job, but if they can find a job that pays $60k, then good for them. Is $60k fair? I don't know, but I hope they retain only the best, most friendly dealers for that price. The natural order should eventually put the best dealers at the best casinos. I tip about $10 per hour, so I think I'm being fair enough.

For a cocktail waitress, I have no issue tipping $1 per drink, but do I think the job is worth $60k? I really don't think so, but I sure do appreciate free drinks.

What about the guy who calls up the cab? What's he worth? Does he get tipped out by cabbies? A valet gets $3 to run and get my car, so a guy who waves his finger is worth, what, $0.25? Now, if I could skip a 30 minute cab line, it's definitely worth $5.



I think resenting the fact that someone has some measure of good fortune because you don't feel they deserve it is probably the wrong mentality to have. On top of that, societies function best when there are a lot of good jobs. Good jobs are good. Dealers can buy cars, houses, dinners out, etc. and their money circulates through the economy. Their families are going to be more stable and their children will have better upbringings than if they were barely scraping by because that's what someone decided they "deserved."

Education doesn't really mean much and there is a lot of luck involved in who gets a good education to begin with, if you want to play the "deserve" game. Naturally, those of us who have a lot of education tend to equate education with merit, but that's BS.

Some people are just good at their jobs and bring value to the table (literally, in this case). Everybody from a good salesman to a professional athlete. Some people are good leaders. Some people are super organized. Some people just have a knack for certain jobs.
Dealing is a fairly difficult job technically and emotionally and some people are really good at it.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 261
  • Posts: 13805
August 20th, 2019 at 2:38:31 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Was this an actual thing in the 60's?

Yes. Dumpster diving and dumpster dwelling each existed but hippies generally were usually on welfare in at least one state and tended to eat fairly well.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
Joined: May 10, 2011
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 1768
Thanks for this post from:
MichaelBluejay
August 20th, 2019 at 3:03:38 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I think resenting the fact that someone has some measure of good fortune because you don't feel they deserve it is probably the wrong mentality to have. On top of that, societies function best when there are a lot of good jobs. Good jobs are good. Dealers can buy cars, houses, dinners out, etc. and their money circulates through the economy. Their families are going to be more stable and their children will have better upbringings than if they were barely scraping by because that's what someone decided they "deserved."

Education doesn't really mean much and there is a lot of luck involved in who gets a good education to begin with, if you want to play the "deserve" game. Naturally, those of us who have a lot of education tend to equate education with merit, but that's BS.

Some people are just good at their jobs and bring value to the table (literally, in this case). Everybody from a good salesman to a professional athlete. Some people are good leaders. Some people are super organized. Some people just have a knack for certain jobs.
Dealing is a fairly difficult job technically and emotionally and some people are really good at it.



Just to be clear, I donít resent anyone for good fortune and I realize it takes all sorts of people to make this world go round. I respect anyone who works and doesnít cheat on taxes or benefits. But, in the case of tipping, it is my responsibility to determine what that person should earn. If they didnít live on tips, Iím sure a lot of them would earn less because the corporation would believe they are only worth $X. How do they determine X? By the value that the person brings to the company and by how easily they can find a replacement.

How much do you think they should earn?
I heart Crystal Math.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Joined: Feb 4, 2015
  • Threads: 13
  • Posts: 3423
Thanks for this post from:
Boz
August 20th, 2019 at 3:12:13 PM permalink
Quote: CrystalMath


How much do you think they should earn?



As much as they can get. It is a futile exercise of hubris to try and justify a cap.
CrystalMath
CrystalMath
Joined: May 10, 2011
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 1768
August 20th, 2019 at 3:21:22 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

As much as they can get. It is a futile exercise of hubris to try and justify a cap.


Every employer picks caps, is that hubris? Every time you tip or donít tip, youíre making the same decision. As futile as you think it is, Iím sure youíve made this decision many times.
I heart Crystal Math.

  • Jump to: