kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
September 22nd, 2020 at 6:31:02 PM permalink
Visitors to the strip who don't rent a car had 2 options traveling downtown or to other parts of the strip, the deuce double-decker bus which takes about an hour from the southern strip to downtown because of frequent stops and slow boarding through the front door and the strip downtown express (SDX), which takes about half the time due to less stops and boarding through all doors.

The SDX has been shutdown since March when Covid shut down Vegas and The RTC just announced it will be permanently retired, making the deuce the only option. (The monorail is also still closed). In addition the WAX bus which provided cheap transportation from the airport to southern strip (Tropicana and Las Vegas Blvd) and then Downtown to Fremont street has also been discontinued.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 22nd, 2020 at 6:51:36 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Visitors to the strip who don't rent a car had 2 options traveling downtown or to other parts of the strip, the deuce double-decker bus which takes about an hour from the southern strip to downtown because of frequent stops and slow boarding through the front door and the strip downtown express (SDX), which takes about half the time due to less stops and boarding through all doors.

What about taxi or ride share? I have never ridden the bus in Las Vegas but I use Uber and Lyft about once a week.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 22nd, 2020 at 7:11:27 PM permalink
The only problem I can see with shutting down the SDX is, it stopped in front of the Westgate whereas the Deuce does not (it stays on the Strip, so it's a considerable walk to the hotel).

Note that the CX route is being changed to use the WAX's route from the airport to the south Strip; it will no longer go by Silver Sevens, although it will stop on the east edge of UNLV. It also goes downtown, the same way the WAX did.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
September 22nd, 2020 at 8:16:57 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

The only problem I can see with shutting down the SDX is, it stopped in front of the Westgate whereas the Deuce does not (it stays on the Strip, so it's a considerable walk to the hotel).

The SDX actually did not stop at Westgate. It went right by Westgate on Paradise Road but inexplicably there was no SDX stop. The main reason for the SDX diverging off the strip was to stop at the convention center providing access for visitors. With the convention center expanded out to the strip there now is no need. People can access the convention center on the strip and the underground people mover being built by Elon Musk will transport them to the back portion of the convention center on Paradise.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 23rd, 2020 at 7:58:16 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

The SDX actually did not stop at Westgate. It went right by Westgate on Paradise Road but inexplicably there was no SDX stop. The main reason for the SDX diverging off the strip was to stop at the convention center providing access for visitors. With the convention center expanded out to the strip there now is no need. People can access the convention center on the strip and the underground people mover being built by Elon Musk will transport them to the back portion of the convention center on Paradise.

Okay, it didn't stop directly in front of the Westgate, but it did stop reasonably close by on Paradise (and besides, even if it did stop directly in front, there's still that walk through the parking area). My point was, you didn't have that 1/2-mile walk from the Strip's nearest stop.

Also, it turns out the 108 still goes by the Westgate, although there doesn't appear to be a way to transfer from the Deuce except at the Stratosphere-er, The STRAT.

And while I'm in a completist mode today, there are some other route changes:

Because there is no more SDX, a new 401 route has been added that is a clockwise loop from the northern transit center, going Main - Charleston - Grand Central (going by the outlet stores) - Main. There is supposed to be a stop pretty much in front of the Plaza, but it is closed; there is a "temporary" stop in front of Main Street Station.

The HDX is being replaced by the 402 (didn't this route used to be called the 402 when it went down Boulder?), and now starts near Sunset Station.

The SX-A will no longer go north of Sahara at its eastern end; instead, it will use the SX-B route from Sahara & Nellis to Hollywood & Vegas Valley. (The stops no longer on the SX-A are still on the 115 or 210.)
The SX-B route will be changed to go to Desert Inn & Cabana.
  • Jump to: