9 votes (75%)

12 members have voted

TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 16
September 30th, 2018 at 8:31:40 AM permalink
from a NYT article that asked his classmates what these terms meant:

Quote:

ďBoofedĒ in the 1980s was a term that often referred to anal sex, and that is how Judge Kavanaughís classmates said they interpreted his comment. They said they had never heard it used to refer to flatulence.

Similarly, they said that they had never heard of a drinking game called Devilís Triangle, but that the phrase was regularly used to describe sex between two men and a woman. ďThe explanation of Devilís Triangle does not hold water for me,Ē said William Fishburne, who managed the football team during Judge Kavanaughís senior year.

My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 118
Thanks for this post from:
RS
September 30th, 2018 at 8:48:40 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

from a NYT article that asked his classmates what these terms meant:

Quote:

ďBoofedĒ in the 1980s was a term that often referred to anal sex, and that is how Judge Kavanaughís classmates said they interpreted his comment. They said they had never heard it used to refer to flatulence.

Similarly, they said that they had never heard of a drinking game called Devilís Triangle, but that the phrase was regularly used to describe sex between two men and a woman. ďThe explanation of Devilís Triangle does not hold water for me,Ē said William Fishburne, who managed the football team during Judge Kavanaughís senior year.

Thatís probably quite correct.

This is again one where heís painted into a corner because the true answer is going to be taken as incontrovertible proof of Fordís claims by the Democrats.

I think thatís especially true of Devilís Triangle. Suppose that he says that he was a participant in consensual threesomes, not only are Fordís claims going to be automatically construed as true, (which some Democrats are doing already) but youíll also have Democrats suggest he should not be confirmed due to his sordid sexual history. Obviously, the Democrats are generally all for keeping Government out of the bedroom, but thatís going to get tossed out the window if Kavanaugh admits to anything except the most vanilla of vanilla sexual past...consensual or not.

Either that, or they were just BSing in the yearbook and now heís fronting for it. I didnít get any high school yearbooks, because I thought they were a waste of money, so I have no clue what type of stuff people write. When I signed the yearbooks of other people, I either just put my name and left it at that, or I would write a small generic, ďGood luck in all you do,Ē if I really liked you.
Vultures can't be choosers.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 156
beachbumbabs
September 30th, 2018 at 9:37:16 AM permalink
I thought the issue with the yearbook wasn't so much that anyone believes he engaged in any non-vanilla sex, but that he made the terms out to be more innocent than they really were, Just more lying to protect his image as Wally in the Leave it to Beaver household.
prisoner of gravity
Mission146
Mission146
September 30th, 2018 at 9:43:17 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I thought the issue with the yearbook wasn't so much that anyone believes he engaged in any non-vanilla sex, but that he made the terms out to be more innocent than they really were, Just more lying to protect his image as Wally in the Leave it to Beaver household.

Yeah, thatís my point. Theyíll take anything worse than Wally as absolute proof that the accusations are true.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 93
Mission146
September 30th, 2018 at 11:40:29 AM permalink
I disagree. Just like every thing that ultimately burns someone like this, it's not the crime, it's the cover-up.

He sat there and lied to a US Senator. Deliberately and with attitude. During this specific set of exchanges. And during several others on Thursday.

Such contempt for the laws of this country, from a judge on the 2nd highest court trying to be appointed to the highest. I'm quite sure Whitehouse knew the answers to the questions he asked. The point of them was to demonstrate Kavanaughs's failings, if he chose to lie.

That's simply unacceptable. I genuinely don't care what he did as a high-schooler or college student as far as drinking and partying. We all went there. I care very much that as a 54 year old man in a position of great responsibility, requiring impartiality, personal restraint, and jurisprudence, he showed none.

That he would lie about something so easily proven (these terms) just astonishes me. His rage, I think, is fueled by a fair amount of shame.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
  • Threads: 16
beachbumbabs
September 30th, 2018 at 12:25:52 PM permalink
I pretty much agree with everything BBB said with one exception: I think the rage is a combination of (1) a defense mechanism and (2) anger that somebody as entitled as he should have to be called on the carpet for his actions. I don't think he feels any shame.
My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
Mission146
Mission146
September 30th, 2018 at 12:49:34 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I disagree. Just like every thing that ultimately burns someone like this, it's not the crime, it's the cover-up.

I disagree with your disagreement. There are people out there willing to accept the unprovable allegations as proof in and of themselves, so you pretty much have to try to cover up for any hint of anything. Itís not like a legitimate criminal case where youíre really just better off to tell the truth if the event didnít happen or you merely donít remember it happening. (As opposed to outright denial)

Quote:

He sat there and lied to a US Senator. Deliberately and with attitude. During this specific set of exchanges. And during several others on Thursday.

Okay, so he lied to a liar. Who cares? Everybody is allowed to behave in a completely sanctimonious way on this one except for him? 46 of those Senators permanently sealed my opinion when they refused to confirm Gorsuch, there was no reason not to except he disagrees with their politics...but the SCOTUS isnít supposed to be about politics, legislating from the bench for results driven legal interpretations...but it is.

The Republicans lost me when they wouldnít enable Obama to do his duty conferred to him by the Constitution, which is to fill the SCOTUS vacancy.

Anyway, so you have the full body of the Senate with maybe a grand total of six people who are willing to even consider bipartisanism. Who cares if he lied to them? The Democrats are doing their best to railroad him from a fairly weak position, anyway.

Quote:

That's simply unacceptable. I genuinely don't care what he did as a high-schooler or college student as far as drinking and partying. We all went there. I care very much that as a 54 year old man in a position of great responsibility, requiring impartiality, personal restraint, and jurisprudence, he showed none.

Maybe you personally donít care, but the Democrats will take it as absolute proof of Fordís claim, at least, those of them who donít think the mere fact she is making a claim constitutes proof by itself.

Maybe you donít believe that he was guilty as charged in some peopleís eyes the second that the accusation was made. Thatís fine. We donít have to agree.

Quote:

That he would lie about something so easily proven (these terms) just astonishes me. His rage, I think, is fueled by a fair amount of shame.

Doesnít prove anything. Thereís no way anyone can dispute beyond doubt that is what he took those terms to mean. I can obviously strongly disbelieve it, but that doesnít mean I can prove he doesnít think they mean what he says he thinks they meant.

More importantly, it doesnít speak to Fordís underlying claim whatsoever and I also think that Kavanaugh has a not unreasonable reason to lie.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 135
September 30th, 2018 at 1:46:53 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

How come no one else remembers it either? So far, everyone has refuted her claims, including her own friend who she admits to abandoning in a rape house. Then afterward, she even made nice with his friend at the supermarket.

Where are you getting this story from?
Next ,she'll be prowling parties looking to take advantage of drunken frat boys
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 135
September 30th, 2018 at 1:51:42 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I disagree with your disagreement. There are people out there willing to accept the unprovable allegations as proof in and of themselves, so you pretty much have to try to cover up for any hint of anything. Itís not like a legitimate criminal case where youíre really just better off to tell the truth if the event didnít happen or you merely donít remember it happening. (As opposed to outright denial)

Okay, so he lied to a liar. Who cares? Everybody is allowed to behave in a completely sanctimonious way on this one except for him? 46 of those Senators permanently sealed my opinion when they refused to confirm Gorsuch, there was no reason not to except he disagrees with their politics...but the SCOTUS isnít supposed to be about politics, legislating from the bench for results driven legal interpretations...but it is.

The Republicans lost me when they wouldnít enable Obama to do his duty conferred to him by the Constitution, which is to fill the SCOTUS vacancy.

Anyway, so you have the full body of the Senate with maybe a grand total of six people who are willing to even consider bipartisanism. Who cares if he lied to them? The Democrats are doing their best to railroad him from a fairly weak position, anyway.

Maybe you personally donít care, but the Democrats will take it as absolute proof of Fordís claim, at least, those of them who donít think the mere fact she is making a claim constitutes proof by itself.

Maybe you donít believe that he was guilty as charged in some peopleís eyes the second that the accusation was made. Thatís fine. We donít have to agree.

Doesnít prove anything. Thereís no way anyone can dispute beyond doubt that is what he took those terms to mean. I can obviously strongly disbelieve it, but that doesnít mean I can prove he doesnít think they mean what he says he thinks they meant.

More importantly, it doesnít speak to Fordís underlying claim whatsoever and I also think that Kavanaugh has a not unreasonable reason to lie.

And with that, Mission has jumped the shark.
Who cares if a prospective Supreme Court Justice lies?
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Mission146
Mission146
RSMaxPenSOOPOO
September 30th, 2018 at 2:28:17 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

And with that, Mission has jumped the shark.
Who cares if a prospective Supreme Court Justice lies?

If lying or being in any way deceptive is disqualifying, youíll never have a Supreme Court Justice again, is my point. When they say theyíll look at the cases brought to them impartially, theyíve already lied.

Iím also saying you canít strictly prove that he lied about anything.

• Jump to: