11 votes (14.47%)
9 votes (11.84%)

76 members have voted

VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
  • Threads: 21
August 31st, 2014 at 1:36:27 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

But don't book a seat where the person in front of you can recline, and then expect that person to follow arbirtary rules that you made up.

+100
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 31st, 2014 at 1:58:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

However, I feel like a chump doing that when the guy in front of me jerks his seat back the whole way into my knees.

That happened to me. Once. Most of the time
when I push against their seat, they just think
it's broken. It really doesn't take much pressure
to keep it from reclining.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
August 31st, 2014 at 2:17:34 PM permalink

Yes, exactly. The people making up their own rules and trying to force them on other people are the inconsiderate ones.

If you don't like the person in front of you reclining, then book a seat with extra legroom, or a first class seat, or a seat on an airline where the seats don't recline. But don't book a seat where the person in front of you can recline, and then expect that person to follow arbirtary rules that you made up.

Are you telling me this isn't really Sparta? I could have sworn someone said "this is Sparta".
I am a robot.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2014 at 2:20:27 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Hard to believe you're so quick. You must be on high alert the whole trip under constant stress.
I am a robot.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
August 31st, 2014 at 2:24:09 PM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Are you telling me this isn't really Sparta? I could have sworn someone said "this is Sparta".

Someone also said that he blocks the reclining with his knees. Same guy who says he beats roulette. Draw your own conclusions about credibility.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2014 at 2:25:33 PM permalink

Hard to believe you're so quick. You must be on high alert the whole trip under constant stress.

My knees are already touching the seat,
I can feel when they try and recline. They
never try more then once anyway, why
would they. You really don't want me to
be unhappy. Ask my wife, she would say
'you really don't want to make him unhappy.'
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2014 at 2:26:13 PM permalink

Someone also said that he blocks the reclining with his knees. Same guy who says he beats roulette. Draw your own conclusions about credibility.

Sarcasm it was.
I am a robot.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
August 31st, 2014 at 2:31:57 PM permalink

Sarcasm it was.

Yeah I know but I was below my quota for pointing out the obvious this month.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2014 at 2:32:55 PM permalink

My knees are already touching the seat,
I can feel when they try and recline. They
never try more then once anyway, why
would they. You really don't want me to
be unhappy. Ask my wife, she would say
'you really don't want to make him unhappy.'

Beachbumbabs in the other other reality, does Evenbob like being unhappy?
I am a robot.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2014 at 2:45:03 PM permalink

does Evenbob like being unhappy?

I don't like being forced to do something,
never have. That's why I've been self
employed for 35 years. I don't play well
with others.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2014 at 2:48:29 PM permalink

I don't like being forced to do something,
never have. That's why I've been self
employed for 35 years. I don't play well
with others.

Are you married to yourself?
I am a robot.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
August 31st, 2014 at 2:50:41 PM permalink

Don't know about the "300", this looks more like fight club.

I don't consider what coach seats do or not do as reclining. You think those seats recline come on over to the house I'll show what recline is, it's hard to type from that position though.

My plan even when booking way in advance or the same day is to try and be asleep before the plane leaves the tarmac. I shop for seats away from kids. All seats that could possibly impede into an exit row, don't recline, ie all exit rows.

@Bob, could you just cough on the people in front of you alot and talk about how many people came down with ebola at work last week while you were in Africa?
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 31st, 2014 at 2:55:16 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

@Bob, could you just cough on the people in front of you a lot and talk about how many people came down with ebola at work last week while you were in Africa?

I would if it came to that, but it never
does.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
August 31st, 2014 at 3:02:22 PM permalink
Last time I flew was 2001, so it's the main reason I don't understand this stuff. I'm scared away because of all the games, inconveniences, and gotchas going along with flying. Really just don't want to be the fresh meat the airline looks for. Someday I'll have to learn to deal with it if I want to go to Nevada, but haven't wanted to badly enough yet.
I am a robot.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
August 31st, 2014 at 3:27:35 PM permalink

I don't play well with others.

Really?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
August 31st, 2014 at 3:28:34 PM permalink

Last time I flew was 2001, so it's the main reason I don't understand this stuff. I'm scared away because of all the games, inconveniences, and gotchas going along with flying. Really just don't want to be the fresh meat the airline looks for. Someday I'll have to learn to deal with it if I want to go to Nevada, but haven't wanted to badly enough yet.

You could just get your own personal Madden-style bus.
rxwine
rxwine
August 31st, 2014 at 4:05:59 PM permalink

I've reclined when people get up to go to the restroom.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:43:24 PM permalink
http://news.msn.com/us/its-no-longer-safe-to-recline-your-airplane-seat

A third incident now. When will the airlines decide to take some positive action?
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:55:20 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

http://news.msn.com/us/its-no-longer-safe-to-recline-your-airplane-seat

A third incident now. When will the airlines decide to take some positive action?

I'm flying to Vegas in 1 1/2 weeks
Just to be safe, I think I wont recline
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 2nd, 2014 at 6:59:03 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I'm flying to Vegas in 1 1/2 weeks
Just to be safe, I think I wont recline

I am flying in next Sat. I will be reclining....after I pop 2 Xanex (minor fear of flying)
I got a plan, we take all your picks we reverse them like one of those twilight zone episodes where everything is the opposite. You say "black" we go white.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
TheBone
TheBone
  • Threads: 1
September 2nd, 2014 at 7:58:26 PM permalink
Why are the seats allowed to recline? If the person sitting in them reclines, which is their "right" having purchased the seat, the only entity to be upset with is the airline for allowing the seat to recline.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 2nd, 2014 at 8:10:00 PM permalink
Quote: TheBone

Why are the seats allowed to recline? If the person sitting in them reclines, which is their "right" having purchased the seat, the only entity to be upset with is the airline for allowing the seat to recline.

Correct. The airline is to blame. Back when they had plenty of room between the rows, being able to recline was a nice option. But then they decided to squeeze more revenue by cramming in more rows. However, they left the recline option there, even though there really is not enough space between the rows to ensure personal space is not invaded.
Right now the airlines are trying to spin this as a people issue, but my money says someone will soon be suing an airline for failure to provide adequate personal space.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 2nd, 2014 at 10:45:58 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

Correct. The airline is to blame. Back when they had plenty of room between the rows, being able to recline was a nice option. But then they decided to squeeze more revenue by cramming in more rows. However, they left the recline option there, even though there really is not enough space between the rows to ensure personal space is not invaded.
Right now the airlines are trying to spin this as a people issue, but my money says someone will soon be suing an airline for failure to provide adequate personal space.

Suing doesn't act as a deterrent anymore. This is why stupid things keep in the news because they don't have to budge changing because only government can do anything.
I am a robot.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 3rd, 2014 at 6:42:18 AM permalink
How's this? If you politely request that I straighten my seat, I will do it. Provided, that is, you pay the $50 fee for making me uncomfortable.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Dicenor33
Dicenor33
  • Threads: 1
September 3rd, 2014 at 7:34:32 AM permalink
People who complain during the flight should thrown out from the plane. Couple hours, take it the way it is.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
September 3rd, 2014 at 7:50:00 AM permalink
Darn right I'm going to complain when some a-hole shoves his/her seat back into the space my knees previously occupied, moving the tray table into my abdomen, and generally making life miserable. I'll complain to the airline and to the individual involved.

As I stated earlier, I won't recline if it will make someone else more uncomfortable. Whatever happened to common courtesy? Is this just more of the 'me first' generation?
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:05:31 AM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Darn right I'm going to complain when some a-hole shoves his/her seat back into the space my knees previously occupied.... Is this just more of the 'me first' generation?

Yes. Complaining profanely when a fellow passenger uses his seat in exactly the way it was designed/intended does indeed sound like a "me-first" attitude. Your proper complaint is strictly with the airline and the way they have packed you, the person in front of you, and most everyone else in the coach section into an inadequate space for that many people.

Now some folks may claim that the airlines have to crowd extra seats in because competition or other factors have forced their fares too low. Well, I just checked on fares for a trip back to Las Vegas from CLT. The cheapest fares I can find over the next six months are right at double what I paid for the same trip last April. I don't think fuel prices or government fees or even salaries have been climbing at such a rate. If they are going to double my fare, they ought to be willing to provide a more comfortable seat!
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:12:50 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

Yes. Complaining profanely when a fellow passenger uses his seat in exactly the way it was designed/intended does indeed sound like a "me-first" attitude. Your proper complaint is strictly with the airline and the way they have packed you, the person in front of you, and most everyone else in the coach section into an inadequate space for that many people.

Now some folks may claim that the airlines have to crowd extra seats in because competition or other factors have forced their fares too low. Well, I just checked on fares for a trip back to Las Vegas from CLT. The cheapest fares I can find over the next six months are right at double what I paid for the same trip last April. I don't think fuel prices or government fees or even salaries have been climbing at such a rate. If they are going to double my fare, they ought to be willing to provide a more comfortable seat!

They're moving excuses. As soon as you corner one, they blame something else.
I am a robot.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:15:38 AM permalink

Yes. Complaining profanely when a fellow passenger uses his seat in exactly the way it was designed/intended does indeed sound like a "me-first" attitude.

+1 :)

Quote:

If they are going to double my fare, they ought to be willing to provide a more comfortable seat!

Airlines work in mysterious ways and razor-thin margins (the latter being the conventional wisdom). Most will not give an inch if they can avoid it in any way.

Then there's Interjet, my favorite airline. All their planes are single-class (coach), but they have comfortable seats, which recline, and they brag about the legroom available as compared to the competition. I've flown all their competition and I can vouch for the extra legroom, so perhaps reclining seats there are not an issue.

They offer no inflight meals. Only a small (very small) snack, soft drinks, juice, tea, coffee, and on flights departing after noon also tequila, vodka, gin, rum, wine and beer (at no extra cost).

On short, domestic flights, there is an announcement forbidding the introduction of outside food or drink to the plane. On longer, international flights there isn't. On my last two flights to Vegas I had no trouble and no hassle bringing in an additional snack with me (yogurt).

There no longer is any inflight entertainment. But that's ok since I either read a book or listen to one on my tablet anyway. The overhead screens are used for the preflight safety announcements, and I think they play adds and show short self-promotional films for a portion of the flight. No headphones or earphones are available, but you can plug your own in (I assume, I've never tried it). On some planes they have a takeoff/landing camera.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:16:01 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

How's this? If you politely request that I straighten my seat, I will do it. Provided, that is, you pay the $50 fee for making me uncomfortable.

You have to insist on needing their credit card innocently then whack it with the "agreed upon" fee.
I am a robot.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:18:04 AM permalink

Who said I was complaining profanely? I think the space my knees are occupying are in the space that the airline designed/intended.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:20:41 AM permalink

Yes. Complaining profanely when a fellow passenger uses his seat in exactly the way it was designed/intended does indeed sound like a "me-first" attitude.

+100
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:27:27 AM permalink

Who said I was complaining profanely? I think the space my knees are occupying are in the space that the airline designed/intended.

My suggestion that you were complaining profanely was based on your referring to your fellow passenger as an "a-hole". I agree that your knees were occupying space that the airline designed/intended. Your complaint is with them and their terrible, passenger-unfriendly design.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:32:46 AM permalink
I will recline my seat when I want to. The seats come with a recline button to be used, which is straight forward.

Although it is annoying for me to have someone recline their seat in front of me, it is within their right to do so, and I just suck it up. If I decide to recline, the people behind me should do the same: suck it up. It is the luck of the draw.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
September 3rd, 2014 at 8:59:36 AM permalink

My suggestion that you were complaining profanely was based on your referring to your fellow passenger as an "a-hole". I agree that your knees were occupying space that the airline designed/intended. Your complaint is with them and their terrible, passenger-unfriendly design.

Understood. What I may think and what I would say are very different things in a setting like this. I would start by politely asking them if they could bring their seat back up a little bit.

I don't subscribe that just because something was designed in a certain way, it automatically means that it should be used. In this case the airline changed the seat pitch, but just I because I didn't create the issue doesn't mean I will make it worse for the person behind me
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
September 3rd, 2014 at 9:01:00 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

I will recline my seat when I want to. The seats come with a recline button to be used, which is straight forward.

Although it is annoying for me to have someone recline their seat in front of me, it is within their right to do so, and I just suck it up. If I decide to recline, the people behind me should do the same: suck it up. It is the luck of the draw.

That's fine, as it's my right to keep my knees in the space you are moving into.
VCUSkyhawk
VCUSkyhawk
September 3rd, 2014 at 9:07:58 AM permalink

Understood. What I may think and what I would say are very different things in a setting like this. I would start by politely asking them if they could bring their seat back up a little bit.

And this makes all the difference in the world. If somebody asks me politely, I will certainly try to accommodate them. If you come off as a dick, well say goodbye to your knees.
JimRockford
JimRockford 
  • Threads: 12
September 3rd, 2014 at 9:30:05 AM permalink
For what it's worth, I am 6'2" 200lbs and long legged. My knees contact the seat in front of me, but when it is reclined I really don't notice any pressure of the seat back against my knees and it causes me no discomfort at all. Maybe because I'm in pretty good shape, so I don't have a fat ass pushing my knees higher and more forward.
On many flights within Asia I noticed that the seat mechanism is different. As you recline, the seat slides forward, so you trade recline for leg room. In general Asians don't need as much leg room and the airlines take advantage of it.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
September 3rd, 2014 at 9:38:37 AM permalink

Sorry to say, you're one of the people that cause problems. If my seat didn't recline, I would look behind and see you doing that. I would tell you off at minimum.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 3rd, 2014 at 9:42:54 AM permalink
I wanted to add some information to this debate by showing data on seat pitch (distance per row) by airline, but it varies depending on the type of jet used, and most airlines use a combination of different types of jets. That said, this article provides some information: Short-haul Economy Class Comparison Chart.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
terapined
terapined
September 3rd, 2014 at 10:25:30 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I wanted to add some information to this debate by showing data on seat pitch (distance per row) by airline, but it varies depending on the type of jet used, and most airlines use a combination of different types of jets. That said, this article provides some information: Short-haul Economy Class Comparison Chart.

Seatguru is a great site. I'm in the industry and its my go to website regarding seats.
I checked the display.
The winner for least room.
Spirit airlines, pitch measley 28 inches. Most airlines give 29 to 31 inches pitch.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 3rd, 2014 at 10:27:07 AM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

For what it's worth, I am 6'2" 200lbs and long legged. My knees contact the seat in front of me, but when it is reclined I really don't notice any pressure of the seat back against my knees and it causes me no discomfort at all. Maybe because I'm in pretty good shape, so I don't have a fat ass pushing my knees higher and more forward.

This has me confused as well. Granted, unless I'm surrounded by children 15yrs or younger, I'm uncomfortable. There's just not enough room for adult sized people without entering my personal space. But while I'm uncomfortable, I don't experience some of this knee bashing, "in your face" seat backs that are being described.

Sitting normal, my knees brush the mag pouch and my wrists rest on the tray when reading. If they recline, my knees touch the seat and now my forearms rest on the tray. Neither are painful, neither stick me in position. About the only difference is when I move; instead of a wisp of my knees against a slack pouch, they rub against the seat back.

So recline all you want in front of me, it gives me somewhere to rest my arms while reading. Of course, I'd rather you lay your head in my lap than sit next to someone with 54" hips. Forget a knee defender, I want a sheet of plexiglass to jam between the seats to keep your ass out of my lap.

Maybe I'll just hook up with Babs and start our own airline. The good news is that smoking, drinking, all that will be allowed. The better news is that I will be your pilot =D
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 3rd, 2014 at 10:33:27 AM permalink
Quote: Face

This has me confused as well. Granted, unless I'm surrounded by children 15yrs or younger, I'm uncomfortable. There's just not enough room for adult sized people without entering my personal space. But while I'm uncomfortable, I don't experience some of this knee bashing, "in your face" seat backs that are being described.

Sitting normal, my knees brush the mag pouch and my wrists rest on the tray when reading. If they recline, my knees touch the seat and now my forearms rest on the tray. Neither are painful, neither stick me in position. About the only difference is when I move; instead of a wisp of my knees against a slack pouch, they rub against the seat back.

So recline all you want in front of me, it gives me somewhere to rest my arms while reading. Of course, I'd rather you lay your head in my lap than sit next to someone with 54" hips. Forget a knee defender, I want a sheet of plexiglass to jam between the seats to keep your ass out of my lap.

Maybe I'll just hook up with Babs and start our own airline. The good news is that smoking, drinking, all that will be allowed. The better news is that I will be your pilot =D

You're on.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
terapined
terapined
September 3rd, 2014 at 10:36:12 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

You're on.

Allright, looking forward to Soul plane, I geuss Snoop dog will be Faces co pilot:-)
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
September 3rd, 2014 at 11:38:46 AM permalink
Face, the pilot.
BBB, the co-owner.

We have the makings of A-Team airlines, or would that be B-Team Air ?
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
September 3rd, 2014 at 11:42:03 AM permalink
^^^^^^^^^^^
Tree Top Airlines :-)

or White Knuckle Airlines
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
September 3rd, 2014 at 12:01:44 PM permalink

That's fine, as it's my right to keep my knees in the space you are moving into.

According to Delta airlines that is not your right. I had an incident where the man behind me wouldn't allow me to recline. I asked nicely for him to quit pushing on my seat and he didn't do it. I rang the call button and the FA came over and addressed the issue. Told the man to let me recline my seat or she would move him. He protested so the FA made him move to another row and shoved him into a middle seat between two other passengers. I enjoyed his protests and the fact that he was now separated from his wife/girlfriend.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 3rd, 2014 at 12:42:20 PM permalink
Yup, this is exactly how a situation like this should be handled. Getting angry and lowering yourself to their level is not a good solution. Just let the FAs handle it. If they don't comply with the FAs request they will have a uniformed greeting party waiting for them at the gate when they land.

And you can bet that, with this in the news, the FAs are being briefed on the right way to handle this situation.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 3rd, 2014 at 1:00:39 PM permalink

Yup, this is exactly how a situation like this should be handled. Getting angry and lowering yourself to their level is not a good solution. Just let the FAs handle it.

Handle what? I'm not preventing you from
reclining, it's your imagination. Making you
wish you never had after you do is where
the fun starts.
  • Jump to: