my knees from the back of it.

I'd find a way.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
  • Threads: 22
October 19th, 2015 at 6:55:52 PM permalink
Quote: Maverick17

I recline. That space is mine. I bought it. My seat would not recline if it wasn't mine.

I have never had issue with someone trying to stop me from reclining, nor have I ever had issue with anyone reclining in front of me.

I fly <10 round trips a year.

If there was ever an issue with the dumb-dumb behind me, I would make sure the issue was over just as soon as it started, and I don't care if said dummy is 8 feet tall and all legs.

Perfect example of someone who could care less about someone else's discomfort. Real nice attitude, it's all about you huh?
Maverick17
Maverick17
  • Threads: 17
October 19th, 2015 at 7:28:10 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

And I guarantee your seat will never
recline during the whole flight.
Unless they figure a way to unjam
my knees from the back of it.

I don't know who "they" are, but I would have my seat reclined, all the way back reclined.

And I would be as comfortable as if I was on the exact same flight, in the exact same seat, with no one behind me at all.

The only way my flight could get any better is if there is no one next to me so I don't have to give up (if on the aisle or window) the armrest to the unlucky middle seat passenger.

I wouldn't recommend trying to use that guarantee anywhere but here on the 'ol interwebs, guy.
Statistics don't lie, they deceive.
Maverick17
Maverick17
October 19th, 2015 at 7:35:47 PM permalink
Quote: MidwestAP

Perfect example of someone who could care less about someone else's discomfort. Real nice attitude, it's all about you huh?

No, it's all about fairness. If I want to recline, I do it. If I don't, I keep the seatback up.

If I recline my reclining seat, and the passenger behind me throws a temper tantrum, who is making "all" of "it" about who?

Or maybe you misunderstood my comment. I am the guy in the front seat reclining back in the seat I paid for that reclines back for my lack of discomfort, not the crybaby in the seat behind mine that has a seat that also reclines for his lack of discomfort.
Statistics don't lie, they deceive.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
October 19th, 2015 at 7:41:21 PM permalink
At least 2 airlines hove polices against the use of the devices to block reclining. Otherwise they don't seem to take sides, AFAICT

The battles still goes on - from 9 hours ago.

Quote:

Flight 2010, bound for San Francisco, turned around late Sunday night about 30 minutes into the journey because of a “rapidly escalating situation involving passengers who were not traveling together,” the airline said in a statement.

"Flight 2010, declaring an emergency," the pilot says in audio from the flight. "Evidently we've got two passengers that are in a physical altercation."

Witnesses reported the woman said a man sitting behind her tried to strangle her because she put her seat back, NBC News said.

The unidentified man was detained by Los Angeles Airport Police, but no arrests have been made, Los Angeles FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller told INSIDE EDITION.

I don't know if the people who cause the plane to be grounded get charged with the diversion cost, but the article says that can be around 200k.

http://news.yahoo.com/man-chokes-woman-southwest-airlines-165102368.html
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
October 19th, 2015 at 7:44:56 PM permalink
It's really the airlines fault anyway for the situation. You ought to punch all the CEOs in the nose, if anyone.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 19th, 2015 at 7:54:47 PM permalink

I don't know who "they" are, but I would have my seat reclined, all the way back reclined.

How? It physically can't be reclined because
my knees are firmly against it. Call a flight
attendant, which has happened. They'll
move you to another seat, they cannot
shorten my legs. If there is no other
seat, oh well. You have the right to
recline a seat, if you can. It's not a
guaranteed right.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
October 19th, 2015 at 9:19:45 PM permalink
Probably the least fair situation to be in is to have a seat that is

- in the row in front of the "exit seat row", or
- in the last row (in front of a a bulkhead)

These particular seats do NOT recline backward. I have been in these particular types of seat many times and when the person in front of you has reclined their seat back into your space, you have a situation in which you cannot exit your own seat very easily.

In the most extreme situations, I have used my hands or knees to pound the seat-back in front of me until the occupant moved the seat out of the "full recline" position. If the person in front of me had complained to the stewardess I would have used a very polite tone and simply denied that I had been doing anything. In that case its a "he said" vs "she said" situation and the airline would have no basis for taking any action. IMO, getting angry and confrontational on an airplane is a losing strategy. Its smarter to use "stealth violence" and then lie and prevaricate when questioned.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 19th, 2015 at 10:14:04 PM permalink
There's a simple, elegant solution to the problem, and as with so many things in life it all comes down to money.

Upgrade to first class.

Problem solved.

No blocker device needed.

No encroachment on your space.

Ahh.
"What, me worry?"
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 20th, 2015 at 4:54:44 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

How? It physically can't be reclined because
my knees are firmly against it. Call a flight
attendant, which has happened..

Flight attendant can asks you to step into the aisle
Guy in front reclines
You get back into your seat
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 20th, 2015 at 6:48:46 AM permalink
Are we all a bunch a babies here?

For most, even on a transcontinental, your time in your seat when the passenger is able to recline is going to be 4 hours at most. The passenger of course is given a reclining seat which they have a right to use. The correct way to behave is that if you are discomforted by a reclining passenger is to ask the passenger to kindly move their seat up to accommodate your purposes. If they refuse, then your options are to shut up and take it or to move to a different seat.

It is not a life-altering event. It is four hours of your expected 400,000+ awake hours on a plane. Get over it. And as others have suggested, there are bulkheads, exit rows, economy plus, business class, first class, private jets, trains, cars, boats, shoes, all of which are options to avoid the asshat in front of you who chooses to recline.

Perhaps the person in front of you is an ass, but it shouldn't ruin your day or your life. If you're susceptible to sudden anger because someone reclines their seat, may I suggest you look in the mirror for the problem.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
October 20th, 2015 at 7:13:03 AM permalink

No, it's all about fairness. If I want to recline, I do it. If I don't, I keep the seatback up.

If I recline my reclining seat, and the passenger behind me throws a temper tantrum, who is making "all" of "it" about who?

Or maybe you misunderstood my comment. I am the guy in the front seat reclining back in the seat I paid for that reclines back for my lack of discomfort, not the crybaby in the seat behind mine that has a seat that also reclines for his lack of discomfort.

Maybe you misunderstood me, I don't make a scene, my first attempt is to ask the person in front to decrease the recline. I don't know how you can perceive that as only 'your' space when my knees are already there. I also 'paid' for that same space, and claimed it first. I can't shorten my legs, but you can choose or not choose to recline.

And people who don't care at all about the well being of others are self centered, kind of the definition of it.
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
October 20th, 2015 at 7:30:37 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

For most, even on a transcontinental, your time in your seat when the passenger is able to recline is going to be 4 hours at most.

Agreed

The passenger of course is given a reclining seat which they have a right to use.

Agreed as the way the airlines define it, but let's not ignore that customer behind also has a right to keep their knees where they previously were positioned, assuming they were taking a normal sitting position.

The correct way to behave is that if you are discomforted by a reclining passenger is to ask the passenger to kindly move their seat up to accommodate your purposes.

100% agree

If they refuse, then your options are to shut up and take it or to move to a different seat.

nope, other options exist

It is not a life-altering event. It is four hours of your expected 400,000+ awake hours on a plane. Get over it.

I don't know how tall you are (I'm going to guess not very), but experiencing discomfort or worse yet, actual pain for four hours isn't something that one needs to expect, then just ignore and 'get over it''

And as others have suggested, there are bulkheads, exit rows, economy plus, business class, first class, private jets, trains, cars, boats, shoes, all of which are options to avoid the asshat in front of you who chooses to recline.

Not always an option, but I use those options when available.

Perhaps the person in front of you is an ass, but it shouldn't ruin your day or your life. If you're susceptible to sudden anger because someone reclines their seat, may I suggest you look in the mirror for the problem.

No one's claiming it's ruining my life, but something that can be addressed, so I do when the situation warrants it.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
October 20th, 2015 at 8:51:05 AM permalink
Seems like the airlines have sold the same space to more than one person.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
October 20th, 2015 at 9:13:23 AM permalink
Seems like something that airlines will eventually use as a revenue stream:

Seats that recline: +20
Seats that don't allow the seat in front to recline: +30
Seats that recline and don't allow the seat in front to recline: +50
MidwestAP
MidwestAP
October 20th, 2015 at 9:43:58 AM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

Seems like the airlines have sold the same space to more than one person.

Exactly. They've created this mess in search of making a buck by squeezing an extra row (or two) of seats on a plane. And it's worked, so from a business perspective, I guess they did right for their shareholders. But they can't pawn this off as solely a 'passenger problem', when it's on them to begin with.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
October 20th, 2015 at 10:18:24 AM permalink
Remind me to never buy in at a craps table in the middle of a got shooter, or recline my seat on an airplane.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 21st, 2015 at 5:04:12 PM permalink
There is, in fact, a health issue called Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), where the legs are cramped into a tight position for hours, which can cause a clot (thrombosis) to form, which can move up into your heart, lungs, or head and kill you after you're able to move again, or stay in your legs and cause problems there. It's been identified as a specific issue pertinent to packed seating and long flights. So it's more than a matter of courtesy in many cases, and the airlines are being negligent in not providing better for their taller/longer legged customers. I think it's a matter of time before a class-action lawsuit forces a change in seat spacing.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
zoobrew
zoobrew
  • Threads: 13
October 21st, 2015 at 5:25:02 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

There is, in fact, a health issue called Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), where the legs are cramped into a tight position for hours, which can cause a clot (thrombosis) to form, which can move up into your heart, lungs, or head and kill you after you're able to move again, or stay in your legs and cause problems there. It's been identified as a specific issue pertinent to packed seating and long flights. So it's more than a matter of courtesy in many cases, and the airlines are being negligent in not providing better for their taller/longer legged customers. I think it's a matter of time before a class-action lawsuit forces a change in seat spacing.

The problem is that the Warsaw Convention/Montreal Convention makes it very hard to sue airlines for these types of issues and then they have very low payment caps. It's one of the reasons that there hasn't been a class action lawsuit on lost luggage.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
October 21st, 2015 at 5:46:20 PM permalink
I just flew and had the last row. No worries.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
October 21st, 2015 at 8:28:47 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I just flew and had the last row. No worries.

No reclining either?
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
October 21st, 2015 at 8:37:59 PM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

No reclining either?

I don't recline. But yes, I could have.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
October 21st, 2015 at 8:55:29 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I don't recline. But yes, I could have.

Your off flying, again.
I'm stuck at home w/wife and kids.
I got a good life, but still I think maybe I don't like you. (joke )
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
October 21st, 2015 at 10:08:02 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Got any ideas on avoiding DVT? Other than getting up when you can and walking back and forth? My feet swell up when I fly and I take my shoes off. What about a LD aspirin for blood thinning, or yes/no caffeine, or alcohol? I know it's a real deal and a concern for some. I try to sleep whenever I can, and try to be that way before leaving the tarmac, but we all know how the sleep quality is on a plane. Thoughts on the DVT?
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 22nd, 2015 at 12:36:13 AM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

In the most extreme situations, I have used my hands or knees to pound the seat-back in front of me until the occupant moved the seat out of the "full recline" position..

You acted too late. You have to block
them from reclining in the first place.
You paid for your space, not to have
some selfish jerk steal it from you.
If you make them see they can't
recline, they always give up.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dalex64
Dalex64
October 22nd, 2015 at 5:12:28 AM permalink
Do you recline, Bob? Is that space you paid for too? Or if you are blocked from reclining is it just "oh well" because they won't let you use their space?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 22nd, 2015 at 6:30:50 AM permalink

Do you recline, Bob? Is that space you paid for too? Or if you are blocked from reclining is it just "oh well" because they won't let you use their space?

Bob is the airplane seat supervisor when he boards.
Nobody reclines on EB's planes :-)
Dalex64
Dalex64
October 22nd, 2015 at 8:20:32 AM permalink
Nobody reclines on Ryanair. They eliminated reclining seats and window shades to reduce weight and save money.
zoobrew
zoobrew
  • Threads: 13
November 2nd, 2015 at 2:55:46 PM permalink

Nobody reclines on Ryanair. They eliminated reclining seats and window shades to reduce weight and save money.

Include Frontier as having very few reclining seats. Instead you have to worry about your seat mate spilling into your seat, because contrary to Dean Wormer some people do want to go thru life fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
  • Jump to: