Thread Rating:

RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 4:46:21 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Are you kidding? The teabaggers would break out in a collective case of glossolalia about it. It would be the lede on Hannity for months. The morons would eat it up.



So...you mean that they would sound like President Obama when not aided by a teleprompter?
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 4:52:47 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Are you kidding? The teabaggers would break out in a collective case of glossolalia about it. It would be the lede on Hannity for months. The morons would eat it up.



You know which not so bright ones I was referring to--those who voted for President Obama for every reason besides they believed he could do a good job. You name the reasons...and for those of you with only one word to describe people who oppose the President, there isn't just one of those reasons; there are a few of them...so take your card and put it back in the deck. There are not so bright ones on the other side, of course, but they aren't the ones that put this poor President over the top.

I believe you refer to "Tea Party" with a slur against them. I hope that makes you feel better.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 4:59:44 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

We're in this mess because Democrats tend to be poorly informed and poorly educated when it comes to the candidates and their policies.



Woulda coulda shoulda cries the losing team sobbing hysterically on the field. Couldn't beat the "empty suit teleprompter" reader so just make excuses.

On a scale of 1-100, the typhoon in the Philippines is a disaster at 100, and this is about a 3 or 4,if that.. I'm not sure if even one person has died yet from canceled insurance though I think Faux News reporters are working hard on that.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 5:04:51 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Woulda coulda shoulda cries the losing team sobbing hysterically on the field. Couldn't beat the "empty suit teleprompter" reader so just make excuses.



No need for excuses. This President lied. Repeatedly. He has admitted it. He won partially based on people who mistakenly believed his lies. He is a good liar.


Quote: rxwine

On a scale of 1-100, the typhoon in the Philippines is a disaster at 100, and this is about a 3 or 4,if that.. I'm not sure if even one person has died yet from canceled insurance though I think Faux News reporters are working hard on that.



As a natural disaster, causing loss of life, you are correct.

As a self-inflicted economic disaster, a totally different kind of disaster that shouldn't be mentioned in the same post (but you did), this is pretty bad.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 5:07:42 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

As a self-inflicted economic disaster, a totally different kind of disaster that shouldn't be mentioned in the same post (but you did), this is pretty bad.



It's because you lack perspective.

The economic disaster? Compared to what?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14154
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 14th, 2013 at 5:44:34 PM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

Are you kidding? The teabaggers would break out in a collective case of glossolalia about it. It would be the lede on Hannity for months. The morons would eat it up.



What do homosexual males have to do with anything?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 5:51:19 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What do homosexual males have to do with anything?



Tea bagging, anal sex, bj's all likely practiced by some heterosexuals. Not just gay couples.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 5:53:47 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

It's because you lack perspective.

The economic disaster? Compared to what?



Well, you see, there are a whole bunch of people who lost their insurance policies and will suffer economically from the lies of the President...

I didn't compare the size of it to anything, so your assertion that I lack perspective is silly. It isn't a typhoon and it isn't deadly; that is why I said that it shouldn't be mentioned in the same context...

No matter how many times you say it isn't so, it is an economic disaster for many of us.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
  • Posts: 3360
Joined: Jan 3, 2013
November 14th, 2013 at 5:59:59 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

What do homosexual males have to do with anything?




It's interesting where a person learns things.

Until reading on wov I had absolutely no idea that the term "teabagger" was anything different than a political term.

So it showed up here enough times and although I was almost afraid to look it up I did. The urban dictionary doesn't seem to infer it relates to some sexual act.

I thought it referred to some protest a few years ago where people were encouraged to send a tea bag [lipton or other] to congress in protest?

I'll be careful about using that term although I don't recall using it anyway.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
  • Posts: 1410
Joined: Feb 26, 2011
November 14th, 2013 at 6:12:20 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo
As long as doctors continue to make more than anywhere else in the world they will bitch and complain, but they will stay in America.>>>

thats telling half the story

as long as the court systems keep awarding people 10 miliion dollar settlements, then malpractice insurance will be sky high, and doctors will have higher costs to cover before they see a single penny in their bank accounts.

Insurance companies will now pay doctors less for their services. Meanwhile doctors will have to see more people in order to make the same money they were making before. MORE PATIENTS PER HOUR MEANS MORE CHANCE OF ERRORS.......more chance of errors means more million dollar lawsuits, more million dollar lawsuits means higher insurance malpractice rates. Rents, expenses, utilities, equipment, all go up...payments go down.....this is not the recipe for producing and retaining the best of the best doctors in out healthcare system. Less and less people will want to enter a field that is being squeezed by the insurance companies at the direction of our govt. and squeezed by our legal system.

Is this a disaster in the same realm as the recent typhoon someone asks.....WELL YOU WONT SEE THE CASUALTIES ALL IN ONE DAY.....but over time.....it will cost more lives.

IF ANYONE IS MAKING MILLIONS FROM HEALTHCARE ITS THE LAWYERS......

no other country allows the legal profession to hijack the healthcare system into a litigious cash machine.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6389
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 6:15:38 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

It's interesting where a person learns things.

Until reading on wov I had absolutely no idea that the term "teabagger" was anything different than a political term.

So it showed up here enough times and although I was almost afraid to look it up I did. The urban dictionary doesn't seem to infer it relates to some sexual act.

I thought it referred to some protest a few years ago where people were encouraged to send a tea bag [lipton or other] to congress in protest?

I'll be careful about using that term although I don't recall using it anyway.



I agree also. I had no idea. In fact I see AZ's post and I'm scratching my head wondering WTF.
There's the Tea party. I see pictures and they are actually big on tea bags. Many of the ladies wear hats with many hanging tea bags.
So when I hear "teabagger" I think of the tea party ladies and well, its a term referring to people in the tea party.
Then I see Az's comment. weird. Is your mind in the gutter, mine isn't

Sometimes a term I use when I'm kind of mad is "This sucks" It's just a term expressing anger.
I can't imagine what's going through AZ's mind when he reads the above line. lol
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 6:27:02 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Quote: petroglyph

It's interesting where a person learns things.

Until reading on wov I had absolutely no idea that the term "teabagger" was anything different than a political term.

So it showed up here enough times and although I was almost afraid to look it up I did. The urban dictionary doesn't seem to infer it relates to some sexual act.

I thought it referred to some protest a few years ago where people were encouraged to send a tea bag [lipton or other] to congress in protest?

I'll be careful about using that term although I don't recall using it anyway.

I agree also. I had no idea. In fact I see AZ's post and I'm scratching my head wondering WTF.
There's the Tea party. I see pictures and they are actually big on tea bags. Many of the ladies wear hats with many hanging tea bags.
So when I hear "teabagger" I think of the tea party ladies and well, its a term referring to people in the tea party.
Then I see Az's comment. weird. Is your mind in the gutter, mine isn't


Liberals (who, for some reason, are obsessed with homosexual references) were the first to use "teabaggers" to describe the Tea Party, and it was intended as an insult. But what they didn't count on is that their own side doesn't even know what it originally meant...lol!
Fighting BS one post at a time!
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 6:27:36 PM permalink
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6389
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 6:39:08 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Quote: terapined

Quote: petroglyph

It's interesting where a person learns things.

Until reading on wov I had absolutely no idea that the term "teabagger" was anything different than a political term.

So it showed up here enough times and although I was almost afraid to look it up I did. The urban dictionary doesn't seem to infer it relates to some sexual act.

I thought it referred to some protest a few years ago where people were encouraged to send a tea bag [lipton or other] to congress in protest?

I'll be careful about using that term although I don't recall using it anyway.

I agree also. I had no idea. In fact I see AZ's post and I'm scratching my head wondering WTF.
There's the Tea party. I see pictures and they are actually big on tea bags. Many of the ladies wear hats with many hanging tea bags.
So when I hear "teabagger" I think of the tea party ladies and well, its a term referring to people in the tea party.
Then I see Az's comment. weird. Is your mind in the gutter, mine isn't


Liberals (who, for some reason, are obsessed with homosexual references) were the first to use "teabaggers" to describe the Tea Party, and it was intended as an insult. But what they didn't count on is that their own side doesn't even know what it originally meant...lol!



I'll be honest, I simply support gay marriage. As for the gay lifestyle, I really have no interest.
I guess conservatives are a lot more interested and are very educated in the gay lifestyle then me. cool.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 6:41:45 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I'll be honest, I simply support gay marriage. As for the gay lifestyle, I really have no interest.
I guess conservatives are a lot more interested and are very educated in the gay lifestyle then me. cool.


The public school system loves to teach kids about everything gay. lol...
Fighting BS one post at a time!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
  • Posts: 29010
Joined: Jul 18, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 6:42:48 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

The public school system loves to teach kids about everything gay. lol...



Not that there's anything wrong with that.. lol
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6389
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 6:47:02 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

The public school system loves to teach kids about everything gay. lol...



I went through our public school system. I cant recall the subject even being mentioned.
What exactly are kids being taught about teabagger or gay lifestyle?
Too me its a political term but maybe kids know more then me.
What is being taught?
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 6:47:33 PM permalink

Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
24Bingo
24Bingo
  • Threads: 23
  • Posts: 1348
Joined: Jul 4, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 7:23:13 PM permalink
Teabagging usually isn't really a sex act, so much as a crude prank...
The trick to poker is learning not to beat yourself up for your mistakes too much, and certainly not too little, but just the right amount.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 7:26:44 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I went through our public school system. I cant recall the subject even being mentioned.
What exactly are kids being taught about teabagger or gay lifestyle?
Too me its a political term but maybe kids know more then me.
What is being taught?


I said that as a joke, although it's not entirely untrue. For example, the People's Republic of California now requires schools to teach students about gay history. *facepalm*
Fighting BS one post at a time!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 7:29:24 PM permalink
Quote: 24Bingo

Teabagging usually isn't really a sex act, so much as a crude prank...



A golden shower could be a prank. But that doesn't mean they all are ... or aren't
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6389
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 7:36:57 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

I said that as a joke, although it's not entirely untrue. For example, the People's Republic of California now requires schools to teach students about gay history. *facepalm*



To be honest, I had no idea gay history is a subject in schools
Please teacher, a lesson please. Awaiting an education. Its interesting, conservatives are so up to date on gay culture.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
  • Posts: 3259
Joined: Jun 10, 2010
November 14th, 2013 at 7:44:02 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Its interesting, conservatives are so up to date on gay culture.

Only the ones that are totally not gay.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 7:46:20 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

To be honest, I had no idea gay history is a subject in schools
Please teacher, a lesson please. Awaiting an education. Its interesting, conservatives are so up to date on gay culture.

Actually, anyone who keeps up with current events knows this stuff. This particular story is over 2 years old.

California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history

As usual, libs don't even keep up with the issues...lol
Fighting BS one post at a time!
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6389
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 8:12:17 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Actually, anyone who keeps up with current events knows this stuff. This particular story is over 2 years old.

California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history

As usual, libs don't even keep up with the issues...lol



This is rich, B9 linking an absurd cnn headline.
Gay history is not being taught.
If a person is part of American history, it will be taught, regardless of the persons religion, ethnicity, sex, ect.
Too me, its really a non issue. Who cares what people do in a bedroom. If someone does something great in history, then that person should be taught about, regardless of sexual orientation.
The headline is absurd. cnn, lol, and from B9 lol.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 14th, 2013 at 8:22:57 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Quote: Beethoven9th

Actually, anyone who keeps up with current events knows this stuff. This particular story is over 2 years old.

California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history

As usual, libs don't even keep up with the issues...lol

This is rich, B9 linking an absurd cnn headline.
Gay history is not being taught.

[snip]

The headline is absurd. cnn, lol, and from B9 lol.


Yeah, and I suppose all of these other news agencies are "absurd" too?

California Brings Gay History Into The Classroom (NPR)
California to Require Gay History in Schools (New York Times)
California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history (Reuters)
California becomes first state to mandate gay history in curriculum (Christian Science Monitor)
New LGBT-specific history lessons planned for L.A. County schools (Los Angeles Times)
California passes landmark law requiring schools to teach gay history (New York Daily News)
CA gov signs landmark law to teach gay history (Associated Press)


Yeah, they're all "absurd". *facepalm*
Fighting BS one post at a time!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 5994
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
November 15th, 2013 at 1:23:42 AM permalink
There is all kinds of extra money in health care. Costs go up between 6-10%/year. Margins for insurance companies are very very high. It's an oligarchy out there in many states (not all), and the goal of the exchanges and the government stepping in is to produce competition and drive down costs.

Driving down costs is a necessity for the US to be able to compete and to retain its middle class. The market in the United States when it comes to health care is not working. Your costs are 50-60% higher than other western countries. If the market were truly efficient as you claim, then why is it bloody expensive?

The private sector when it comes to insurance is very inefficient. I've done consulting work for insurance companies. Generally, they have older staff with heavy pension plans and the margins make things quite inefficient.

Doctors won't exit the medical business. What will they do? Drive cabs? Go to a country where the pay is higher? No. Doctors get paid much, much more in the US than anywhere else and they have a long way to go.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 5994
Joined: Nov 12, 2009
November 15th, 2013 at 1:49:29 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Quote: terapined

Quote: Beethoven9th

Actually, anyone who keeps up with current events knows this stuff. This particular story is over 2 years old.

California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history

As usual, libs don't even keep up with the issues...lol

This is rich, B9 linking an absurd cnn headline.
Gay history is not being taught.

[snip]

The headline is absurd. cnn, lol, and from B9 lol.


Yeah, and I suppose all of these other news agencies are "absurd" too?

California Brings Gay History Into The Classroom (NPR)
California to Require Gay History in Schools (New York Times)
California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history (Reuters)
California becomes first state to mandate gay history in curriculum (Christian Science Monitor)
New LGBT-specific history lessons planned for L.A. County schools (Los Angeles Times)
California passes landmark law requiring schools to teach gay history (New York Daily News)
CA gov signs landmark law to teach gay history (Associated Press)


Yeah, they're all "absurd". *facepalm*



Oh, no! Someone who already is gay might actually feel okay about themselves. The horror.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 3:20:37 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Oh, no! Someone who already is gay might actually feel okay about themselves. The horror.


Kids go to school for learning, not for lectures to help 2-3% of the population "feel good" about themselves.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
November 15th, 2013 at 3:29:28 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

There is all kinds of extra money in health care. Costs go up between 6-10%/year. Margins for insurance companies are very very high. It's an oligarchy out there in many states (not all), and the goal of the exchanges and the government stepping in is to produce competition and drive down costs.

Driving down costs is a necessity for the US to be able to compete and to retain its middle class. The market in the United States when it comes to health care is not working. Your costs are 50-60% higher than other western countries. If the market were truly efficient as you claim, then why is it bloody expensive?

The private sector when it comes to insurance is very inefficient. I've done consulting work for insurance companies. Generally, they have older staff with heavy pension plans and the margins make things quite inefficient.

Doctors won't exit the medical business. What will they do? Drive cabs? Go to a country where the pay is higher? No. Doctors get paid much, much more in the US than anywhere else and they have a long way to go.



You may have some validity in your points but it is pretty obvious Obamacare isn't really going to do most of the things you want done.

Obamacare is a lie. The President and his administration have altered the bill as it left Congress and was signed (and upheld by the Supreme Court--remember all that law of the land garbage) by giving extensions and doing other things that are probably not even truly legal. The bill can't be fixed easily and many will suffer for the lies.

Something needed to be done about healthcare. Most agree. What was done about health care was horrible.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14154
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 15th, 2013 at 3:50:57 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

There is all kinds of extra money in health care. Costs go up between 6-10%/year. Margins for insurance companies are very very high. It's an oligarchy out there in many states (not all), and the goal of the exchanges and the government stepping in is to produce competition and drive down costs.



Profit margins for health insurance companies are about 3%. If this is your idea of "very high" then I would hate to see your idea of what is "fair." Additionally the proper word is "oligopoly" not "oligarchy." With margins of only 3% it is easy to see why more investors do not enter the health insurance market, the ROI (For those of you in Rio Linda is simply not great enough to entice new investors.

Quote:

Driving down costs is a necessity for the US to be able to compete and to retain its middle class. The market in the United States when it comes to health care is not working. Your costs are 50-60% higher than other western countries. If the market were truly efficient as you claim, then why is it bloody expensive?



Hmmm, if a BMW is so much better than a Dodge, why does it cost so much more?


Quote:

Doctors won't exit the medical business. What will they do? Drive cabs? Go to a country where the pay is higher? No. Doctors get paid much, much more in the US than anywhere else and they have a long way to go.



Some will retire, some will work less, some may do investment banking, who knows. I guess you believe the only other thing they can do is work at WMT? Heck, some may even become vets and the USA can be like Canada where your dog can get an MRI tomorrow but you wait weeks to months.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
  • Posts: 1202
Joined: Apr 22, 2013
November 15th, 2013 at 4:56:54 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

The market in the United States when it comes to health care is not working. Your costs are 50-60% higher than other western countries. If the market were truly efficient as you claim, then why is it bloody expensive?



If the goal of the government were to reduce competition, they would allow people to shop out of state for insurance.
As of now, people may only purchase insurance offered in their state.
If the goal were to reduce costs, the plans would not be so comprehensive and cost an average of 41% more than before.
Insuring 30 million more people and forcing insurance companies to insure high-risk people only increases costs.
As far as this being necessary for the US to compete and retain its middle class: Compete with whom?
People in the US have the highest personal income and the highest disposable income in the world.
Not to be confused with GDP.
Canada #9.
UK #11
France- Not even on the list.
Would you compare our research, technological and medical science advancements to any other nation on the planet?
What nation gives better medial care?
There are no waiting lists in the US for surgery.
If you need angioplasty in the US, you can get it tomorrow.
My physician’s father in Canada needed angioplasty and was told to wait six weeks.
If the market in the US is not working, then where does it actually work?
UK? Canada?
The Frazier Institute in Canada calls the Canadian plan unsustainable.
Prior to Obamacare, 80% of the people in the US were satisfied with their medial coverage.
We didn’t ask for it.
As far as our costs being 50-60% higher, they are not. We simply spend more on ourselves.
We pay less taxes than people in more soclialized nations, and we can afford to spend more on medical testing and quality care.
US cancer patients survive an average of two years longer than those in Europe.
The risk of dying of a heart attack in Canada is 17% higher than in the US.
Do you think this is a coincidence?
We don’t want to hear dirt bag Healthcare Secretary Kathleen Sebelius say after withholding life saving surgery from a ten- year old girl, “Some people live and some people die”.
And they said there would be no death panels.
As far as doctors not exiting the profession, they are.
They are retiring early.
The US already faces a shortage of 90,000 physicians in the next decade.
No one trusts the government here because they screw up virtually everything they touch.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 4448
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
November 15th, 2013 at 5:44:58 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Quote: petroglyph

It's interesting where a person learns things.

Until reading on wov I had absolutely no idea that the term "teabagger" was anything different than a political term.

So it showed up here enough times and although I was almost afraid to look it up I did. The urban dictionary doesn't seem to infer it relates to some sexual act.

I thought it referred to some protest a few years ago where people were encouraged to send a tea bag [lipton or other] to congress in protest?

I'll be careful about using that term although I don't recall using it anyway.

I agree also. I had no idea. In fact I see AZ's post and I'm scratching my head wondering WTF.
There's the Tea party. I see pictures and they are actually big on tea bags. Many of the ladies wear hats with many hanging tea bags.
So when I hear "teabagger" I think of the tea party ladies and well, its a term referring to people in the tea party.
Then I see Az's comment. weird. Is your mind in the gutter, mine isn't



As someone who was called out on using this term here, I'm glad others seen the same thing. Even Wiki backs this up (bold mine)

Quote: Wiki

The term teabagger was initially used to refer to Tea Partiers after conservatives used tea bag as a verb on protest signs and websites. Some members of the movement adopted the term as a verb, and a few others referred to themselves as "teabaggers." News media and progressive commentators outside the movement began to use the term mockingly and derisively, alluding to the sexual connotation of the term when referring to Tea Party protesters. Most conservatives do not use the term with its double entendre meaning; rather it seems the political left has adopted the derogatory joke. It has been used by several media outlets to humorously refer to Tea Party-affiliated protestors. Some conservatives have advocated that the non-vulgar meaning of the word be reclaimed. Grant Barrett, co-host of the A Way with Words radio program, has listed teabagger as a 2009 buzzword meaning, "a derogatory name for attendees of Tea Parties, probably coined in allusion to a sexual practice".



I'll certainly admit knowing its sexual connotation, and I'll certainly admit hearing it used as a derogatory name for those in the Tea Party. However, the Tea Party's own use of the word is how I came to know them specifically as "teabaggers", and that's how I've used the term ever since.

I guess it's a context thing. I often use the word "queer" when speaking about something strange or odd, despite knowing that it is also a derogatory term for being gay. I suspect that calling the KC Chiefs or Maple Leafs season performances "queer" would not lead people to believe I thought their seasons were homosexual. I guess I thought my use of the term "teabagger" would garner the same consideration.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6389
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 6:03:25 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Quote: terapined

Quote: petroglyph

It's interesting where a person learns things.

Until reading on wov I had absolutely no idea that the term "teabagger" was anything different than a political term.

So it showed up here enough times and although I was almost afraid to look it up I did. The urban dictionary doesn't seem to infer it relates to some sexual act.

I thought it referred to some protest a few years ago where people were encouraged to send a tea bag [lipton or other] to congress in protest?

I'll be careful about using that term although I don't recall using it anyway.

I agree also. I had no idea. In fact I see AZ's post and I'm scratching my head wondering WTF.
There's the Tea party. I see pictures and they are actually big on tea bags. Many of the ladies wear hats with many hanging tea bags.
So when I hear "teabagger" I think of the tea party ladies and well, its a term referring to people in the tea party.
Then I see Az's comment. weird. Is your mind in the gutter, mine isn't



As someone who was called out on using this term here, I'm glad others seen the same thing. Even Wiki backs this up (bold mine)

Quote: Wiki

The term teabagger was initially used to refer to Tea Partiers after conservatives used tea bag as a verb on protest signs and websites. Some members of the movement adopted the term as a verb, and a few others referred to themselves as "teabaggers." News media and progressive commentators outside the movement began to use the term mockingly and derisively, alluding to the sexual connotation of the term when referring to Tea Party protesters. Most conservatives do not use the term with its double entendre meaning; rather it seems the political left has adopted the derogatory joke. It has been used by several media outlets to humorously refer to Tea Party-affiliated protestors. Some conservatives have advocated that the non-vulgar meaning of the word be reclaimed. Grant Barrett, co-host of the A Way with Words radio program, has listed teabagger as a 2009 buzzword meaning, "a derogatory name for attendees of Tea Parties, probably coined in allusion to a sexual practice".



I'll certainly admit knowing its sexual connotation, and I'll certainly admit hearing it used as a derogatory name for those in the Tea Party. However, the Tea Party's own use of the word is how I came to know them specifically as "teabaggers", and that's how I've used the term ever since.

I guess it's a context thing. I often use the word "queer" when speaking about something strange or odd, despite knowing that it is also a derogatory term for being gay. I suspect that calling the KC Chiefs or Maple Leafs season performances "queer" would not lead people to believe I thought their seasons were homosexual. I guess I thought my use of the term "teabagger" would garner the same consideration.



I totally agree, its all about context.
I live in Tampa, Tampa Bay Bucs suck this year. I cant imagine whats going thru AZ's mind when he reads this comment.
Get you mind out of the gutter AZ
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14154
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 15th, 2013 at 7:54:24 AM permalink
Quote: terapined



I totally agree, its all about context.
I live in Tampa, Tampa Bay Bucs suck this year. I cant imagine whats going thru AZ's mind when he reads this comment.
Get you mind out of the gutter AZ



Anyone who thinks liberals are not using "teabagger" as a derogatory, homosexual term are deluding themselves.

BTW: When the Tea Party happened there was no such thing as a tea bag.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
November 15th, 2013 at 8:04:10 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Anyone who thinks liberals are not using "teabagger" as a derogatory, homosexual term are deluding themselves.



The certainly aren't using it as a positive description of the group...we all know that even though some try to make excuses for it.

Someone using the term "Libtard" is not trying to say something nice about liberals...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 242
  • Posts: 14154
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
November 15th, 2013 at 8:08:02 AM permalink
Quote: RonC

The certainly aren't using it as a positive description of the group...we all know that even though some try to make excuses for it.



The ones using it are the same types that complained about "Barack Hussein Obama" being used.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
  • Posts: 4874
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
November 15th, 2013 at 8:21:10 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The ones using it are the same types that complained about "Barack Hussein Obama" being used.



He's given us so much more to worry about than his name...people got hung up on stupid crap.

The only people defending him at this point are complete idiots. His party is running away from him, his voters feel let down, and the very few who stand by him are trying to figure out how to blame GWB for all of President Obama's failures.

I know Harry Reid said something about the idea being to get to single payer...was it the President's plan all along to create a miserable failure of a plan in order to get their quicker? His fix isn't really a fix and it may not be legal even...
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6389
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 9:57:14 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Anyone who thinks liberals are not using "teabagger" as a derogatory, homosexual term are deluding themselves.

BTW: When the Tea Party happened there was no such thing as a tea bag.



Heres the difference between you and me.
If you consider the word in your quote deregatory, then I wont use it.
Unfortunately we are different because you will still use the deregatory term that Washingtington DC football team uses.
I stay away from deregatory names, you revel in it.
I dont like to offend, unless its in a humourous not using deregatory names, you seem to enjoy offending.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 10:06:46 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Anyone who thinks liberals are not using "teabagger" as a derogatory, homosexual term are deluding themselves.

Quote: RonC

The certainly aren't using it as a positive description of the group...we all know that even though some try to make excuses for it.

+1 to both

Wikipedia generally has pretty good info, but the last part of this line is false: "Some members of the movement adopted the term as a verb, and a few others referred to themselves as 'teabaggers.'"

BUT, even if it were true, that still doesn't make the term any less of an insult. For example, there are gays out there who refer to themselves as f*ggots. So does this make it all right for me to call them that too???
Fighting BS one post at a time!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 10:11:47 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Unfortunately we are different because you will still use the deregatory term that Washingtington DC football team uses.
I stay away from deregatory names, you revel in it.
I dont like to offend, unless its in a humourous not using deregatory names, you seem to enjoy offending.


I think the point is...how come it took 80 years for this name to become so offensive?

Not only that, there are also other considerations. For instance, a while back I met an elderly black woman who was close to 100 years old. She referred to herself as a 'Negro'. Now if I used that word (which I don't), people would view it as an insult. But I don't think anyone believes it's intended as an insult when she says it. Same with 'Redskins'. As for calling Tea Party members 'teabaggers', the overwhelming majority of Tea Party members has always viewed the term as an insult.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
  • Posts: 11139
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
November 15th, 2013 at 10:23:24 AM permalink
Weather the long term results of Obamacare are good or bad, I still can't get over the fact that our president intentionally lied to the American people to get his legacy legislation passed. I guess I'd like to ask s2dbaker----
1. Do you agree the president intentionally lied about 'you all can keep your present coverage if you want to'?
2. If you agree with me on point 1, are you ok with that technique to get legislation that you want to be enacted, passed?

I just sense that he was willing to say anything to get it passed, and there was no letting facts get in the way........

As far as doctors doing something else because of Obamacare, I would say the younger ones will 'tough it out', which is of course all relative. Many will find little sympathy for a 60 hour a week internist making $120k instead of $150k. I do. I know how hard they worked to get that 'shingle', and I know how hard they work now. Older docs like me, who have saved wisely, are the ones that will retire early due to decreasing reimbursement that Obamacare will ineveitably bring. Down the road, there will be fewer willing to put in the THIRTEEN years after high school to become a surgeon, as an example, if the big dollars are not going to be there as a reward.

On the political front, I think it will be very interesting to see if there is much fallout from the Obamacare fiascos. Just reading s2dbaker's comments, obviously from an intelligent man, even seeing the many lies from the Democrat leadership, and it not affecting his leaning one bit, I don't think the average Joe will care as much in the Novembers to come as Republicans are hoping. So what if the deficit is 25 trillion by the next presidential election, or 14 trillion, or 30 trillion....those numbers are 100% meaningless to Democrats... Someone earlier posted about Harry Reid being worried in that in the next election there will be a Republican majority in the Senate.... I'd bet against that.... Real money.... Any takers?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 90
  • Posts: 6389
Joined: Dec 1, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 11:17:02 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

I think the point is...how come it took 80 years for this name to become so offensive?

Not only that, there are also other considerations. For instance, a while back I met an elderly black woman who was close to 100 years old. She referred to herself as a 'Negro'. Now if I used that word (which I don't), people would view it as an insult. But I don't think anyone believes it's intended as an insult when she says it. Same with 'Redskins'. As for calling Tea Party members 'teabaggers', the overwhelming majority of Tea Party members has always viewed the term as an insult.


I am no longer using the above word to describe the tea party.
I dont like to offend in a deragatory way.
If I used a term all my life to refer to a certain group, and I was made aware that group thought the name was offensive, I would stop using it.
Its that simple.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 12:48:14 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I am no longer using the above word to describe the tea party.
I dont like to offend in a deragatory way.
If I used a term all my life to refer to a certain group, and I was made aware that group thought the name was offensive, I would stop using it.
Its that simple.


Actually, I agree with you! Scary, isn't it? ;)

The only problem I have in this case is that the overwhelming majority of people who whine the loudest over 'Redskins' is white liberals. I've rarely heard Native Americans scream at the top of their lungs about it. Sure, you can find some here & there who don't like the word, but like I said, all the hubbub is mainly coming from white liberals who have too much time on their hands.

But if there's ever a point when most Native Americans consider the word deeply offensive, then I will switch positions. But until then...
Fighting BS one post at a time!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
November 15th, 2013 at 12:59:35 PM permalink
Superbowl XXII was in 1988.

Quote:

Soon after the team's Super Bowl XXII victory, a number of Native Americans wrote letters to Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke encouraging him to change the name. Others boycotted Redskins products and protested. At one protest "Native Americans handed the fans redskin potatoes as they entered a Redskins game, suggesting that if the team will not change their name altogether, then they should at least change their mascot to the potato." Many of these events were led by Suzan Shown Harjo of the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI). Cooke responded to these pleas in an interview stating "There's not a single, solitary jot, tittle, whit chance in the world that the Redskins will adopt a new nickname."[16]

There was a large protest at the 1992 Super Bowl between the Redskins and the Buffalo Bills. Since the game was held in Minnesota, the area's large Native American population was able to protest the name. The American Indian Movement's (AIM) Vernon Bellecourt was one of the main organizers of the event. Before and during the game, approximately 2,000 Chippewa, Sioux, Winnebago, and Choctaw, and other Native Americans and members of the local population protested. Some of the signs they carried read "We are not Mascots", "Promote Sports not Racism", and "Repeal Redskin Racism".[17]

With the renewed effort to eliminate the name during the 2013 football season, protest picketing at the stadiums has occurred wherever the Redskins have played, particularly in cities with a significant population of Native Americans; such as Dallas,[18] Denver [19] and Minneapolis.[20][21] Coinciding with the latter protest, a number of Minneapolis politicians voiced their positions; Mayor R.T. Rybak and six members of the City Counsel condemning the name.[22] Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton called the name "antiquated, offensive and racist".[23] Also participating in the Minneapolis protests were Congresswoman Betty McCollum, 1964 Olympic gold medalist Billy Mills, and American Indian Movement co-founder Clyde Bellecourt. [24] [25]



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXII
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 1:09:46 PM permalink
Big deal? A "large" number of Tea Party members didn't want Obamacare, but according to many liberals, the Tea Party is in the fringe minority. (BTW, nothing in your post disputes the fact that the overwhelming majority of whiners are white liberals)
___________________________________

And to everybody who thinks that it's racist to want to keep 'Redskins' and that it's racist to want to let PRIVATE businesses do what they want, let me point out an old post from earlier in the year. One member (who no longer posts...thank god) made offensive remarks against Japanese people, yet I was the only one in that thread who called him out on it. There were many liberals who also posted in that thread (e.g., Buzzard, s2dbaker, rxwine), yet NONE of them said a word to the old fart. I especially love the part when the geezer says that the Germans (Nazis) acted like "gentlemen" to his dad and his cousin compared to the "Japs". *facepalm*

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/off-topic/11186-decision-2012/134/#post212402

So remember this the next time any libs out there want to accuse this white conservative of being a "racist" or a "bigot".
Fighting BS one post at a time!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
November 15th, 2013 at 1:14:38 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Big deal? A "large" number of Tea Party members didn't want Obamacare, but according to many liberals, the Tea Party is in the fringe minority. (BTW, nothing in your post disputes the fact that the overwhelming majority of whiners are white liberals)



So you think native American groups were going to accomplish this without any help from other more dominant groups?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 1:16:27 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

So you think native American groups were going to accomplish this without any help from other more dominant groups?


So you agree that it's mostly white liberals??? That's a start.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 214
  • Posts: 12407
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
November 15th, 2013 at 1:19:31 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

So you agree that it's mostly white liberals??? That's a start.



Yes. I answered your question.

So, answer my question. Do you think native Americans had enough sway to do it all on their own?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
  • Posts: 5072
Joined: Jul 30, 2012
November 15th, 2013 at 1:20:43 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Do you think native Americans had enough sway to do it all on their own?


That begs the question. Native Americans as a whole don't care. Only the relative few want it changed.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
  • Jump to: