EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 421
November 28th, 2013 at 9:26:27 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

The Rubbermaid story was one specific example I was referring to. They ruined that company, .

BooHoo, it's called capitalism, works everywhere it's been
tried. If they could have stayed in business, they would
have. Times change, things change. Cars put the buggy
whip companies out of business. Radio and movies ruined
Vaudeville. Electric lights put kerosene lamps under. Pop
top beer cans sunk the church key business, and Walmart
bought Rubbermaid. The world moves on.

How about this. I drank Strohs Beer forever and then it
changed. It was 'fire brewed' and had a distinctive flavor.
They changed the process because of the cost involved.
It was decades ago, I have yet to get over it. Shit happens.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
November 28th, 2013 at 9:32:32 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Since when dose Walmart have a 2 year return policy?

who discussed a 2 year return policy?

mommy buys a upright vacuum today and uses the hell out of it for 2 years. Its getting worn out so she goes to buy a new one. She carefully opens the box, makes a switch, seals the box very professionaly with glue so its a tight closure.....and then brings it back for a refund"unopened". She bought it brand new yesterday and realized she didnt need it...oops. She gets her money back and the use of the appliance for another 2 years.

Buy a bathing suit in july, wear the hell out of it for 2 months..then bring it back as damaged "i washed it once and look what happened to it"

I have seen people do this with childrens clothes...a kid gets into a fight at school, shreds the knees on his pants..and its brought back "look at the poor quaity" for money back or an exchange

Infants cloths that they outgrow in a few months...very populat return item..after it is worn for a couple months

A woman needs a dress for her 3rd cousins wedding. She doesnt like theperson and doesnt want to go, but has to go due tofamily pressures...she buys a dress, wears it once..returns it with some damage or "it doesnt fit right".

none of these examples involve 2 year return policy

How do you think the people here found used appliances in their boxes? Its because people cheat the system.

And like I said..this along with the cost of shop lifting and internal theft...is included in the price of the items we buy.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
November 28th, 2013 at 9:35:07 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

didnt mention any "crappy stuff"

Before supermarkers there were grocery stores. Ony had groceries mostly canned goods, some mass produced bread and cakes, the deli was some oscar meyer prepackaged cold cuts.
If you wanted fresh baked goods you went to a bakers, you wanted freshly ground beef you went to a butcher, slice deli..at the deli...and vegies and fruit at the fruit stands(although the grocery stored had some limited amounts of fruits and veggies)

When supermarkets provided all those items under one roof at a good price...those individualstores went out of business.
They went out of business not because of the supermarkets...it was because WE THE CONSUMER decided to walk away and forgoe the individual attention we got at the butcher and bakery....in exchange for convenience and better price. We were even willing to sacrifice some quality in favor of convenience and better pricing.
If the consumers cared about the buther and the baker they would have stayed with them thru thick and thin. But they didnt. So these same people cannot complain when walmart does the exact same thing.

Now the supermarkets are in the same position as the old butcher and baker. They are the hunted instead of the hunter

And the consumer is again voting with their purse. They are forgoing the smaller supermarkets, for the impersonal warehouse big box stores and impersonal internet shopping.....again for convnience and price

In the end people in the old days knew their butcher by name, new the family, trusted the guy...but when presented with conveneince and better pricing..they waived goodbye. Even if they didnt get the exact same great cuts of meat elsewhere....convenience and pricing rule as long as the quality is good enough for them.

So really walmart has only done what supermarkets did in the 70's and 80'....except walmart is doing it better. And for this they get slammed.

The consumer majority has spoken with their wallets..... Walmart like the supermarkets just offered the products and the convenience...and the public decides the rest.

Sorry, not buying this theory. Walmart doesn't do it better. They only do it cheaper. They have no customer service, pay the least they can, get rid of people with too much time in the job rather than pay raises, so none of their clerks knows anything about their products. They have no interest in supporting their manufacturers or their communities, worrying about quality products, or building any long-term investments in this country's well-being. And everything else that just got said so I'm not going to reiterate. But there's nothing "better" about Walmart at all.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 28th, 2013 at 9:35:42 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The world moves on

..says the guy who started this thread over at DT without a shred if self-awareness.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 18
November 28th, 2013 at 9:47:03 PM permalink

BooHoo, it's called capitalism, works everywhere it's been
tried. If they could have stayed in business, they would
have. Times change, things change. Cars put the buggy
whip companies out of business. Radio and movies ruined
Vaudeville. Electric lights put kerosene lamps under. Pop
top beer cans sunk the church key business, and Walmart
bought Rubbermaid. The world moves on.

How about this. I drank Strohs Beer forever and then it
changed. It was 'fire brewed' and had a distinctive flavor.
They changed the process because of the cost involved.
It was decades ago, I have yet to get over it. Shit happens.

Yes part of capitalism is allowing failure, actually a big part of it. What is happening now isn't capitalism, lots of other words for it. In your description of capitalism where does the government paying medical and other benefits to WM employees fit in? Where does the offshoring of billions of dollars in tax havens fit in along with enormous campaign contributions?

You go off the rails when someone wants to offer you less than 100% for some old furniture you are trying to sell, which would to me look like capitalism, but when a megacorp destroys community after community with subsidized workers and sells inferior products you think that is progress? Have you noticed many Walmart workers looking to buy antiques from you at 100% lately? You seem so willing to cut any ones throat to save you a dime and when it comes to your money you are upset, don't you see the dichotomy.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 28th, 2013 at 9:47:41 PM permalink

But there's nothing "better" about Walmart at all.

Sure there is. I can get the stuff I want at rock
bottom prices, and it's delivered to my door
free of charge. As a savvy customer, that's all
I'm concerned with. That's what commerce is
all about, good products at lower prices. So a
few toes get stepped on in the process, so what.

The concept of Walmart is brilliant. It's a jewel
in the crown of capitalism.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
November 28th, 2013 at 9:49:25 PM permalink

Sorry, not buying this theory. Walmart doesn't do it better. They only do it cheaper. They have no customer service, pay the least they can, get rid of people with too much time in the job rather than pay raises, so none of their clerks knows anything about their products. They have no interest in supporting their manufacturers or their communities, worrying about quality products, or building any long-term investments in this country's well-being. And everything else that just got said so I'm not going to reiterate. But there's nothing "better" about Walmart at all.

so what if walmart doesnt give customer service. The consumers know this. The consumer has voted with their wallets that they dont care if people gives them a phoney smile, says have a nice day, or knows them by name. They dont want to go to the butcher who asked about your trip to Italy, they dont want to go to the bakery that had the greatest strawbery shortcake ever thursday. They dont care about that stuff. They voted that they want price and convenience.

With the internet they dont need anyones "expertise".....they can research things themselves and then go buy it cheaper at the impersonal big box stores or the even more impersonal internet.

It used to be I would go to my closer local 7-11 and just get milk or bread if needed during the week...and go to the supermarket for a bigger shopping.
Now I go to my supermarket 1 mile from my house once or twice a week for incidentals and save my bigger shopping for walmart.
..five miles away once a week
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 28th, 2013 at 9:53:22 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

You go off the rails when someone wants to offer you less than 100% for some old furniture you are trying to sell

Absolutely untrue. I said I'm offended if they offer
HALF what the price is. I also said I consider offers
in the 10% to 15% off range. Please don't make up
things I never said. And if Walmart offends you,
DON'T SHOP THERE! It's still a kinda sorta free
country, except we're now forced to buy health
insurance even if we don't want or need it.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 28th, 2013 at 9:54:54 PM permalink

It's still a kinda sorta free
country, except we're now forced to buy health
insurance even if we don't want or need it.

You can thank the conservative Heritage Foundation for coming up with that idea.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 28th, 2013 at 10:00:06 PM permalink
Quote: LarryS

Now I go to my supermarket 1 mile from my house once or twice a week for incidentals and save my bigger shopping for walmart.
..five miles away once a week

Well said. 30 years ago shopping sucked. Now we
have so many alternatives, with companies like
Walmart and so much online. Looking at buying
something? Look it up on Amazon first, I bet
they sell it and have 300 reviews of it. What a
resource. Don't like something you ordered online
from Walmart? Take it to your local store and
get an instant refund. Shopping is now fun and
productive.

• Jump to: