Thread Rating:

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 166
November 30th, 2013 at 6:45:52 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

Another s2pid argument. You must be taking lessons from s2dbaker or something.

Give me one example of something like that happening. Oh wait. You mean you can't?

In fact, Walmart often puts small businesses under pressure because they sell products LOWER than they do. And, like it or not, that's a benefit to the consumer.

So keep going. Your 'epic fail' streak continues...

Oh boring.

Anyway, check this out BEETHOVEN,
Quote:

Starting next year, Walmart employees who work more than 34 hours per week can have their domestic partners—gay or straight—covered under company-offered health insurance and that new vision plan.

What do you think?
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 123
November 30th, 2013 at 6:48:10 PM permalink
Quote:

Starting next year, Walmart employees who work more than 34 hours per week can have their domestic partners—gay or straight—covered under company-offered health insurance and that new vision plan.

Hopefully the other partner is working, otherwise I think you'd have to have a second 34 hour per week job just to afford their insurance.
Vultures can't be choosers.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
November 30th, 2013 at 7:05:05 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Oh boring

Looks like Mr. Tangent is at it again. Instead of admitting that his argument was lame, all he can say is "Oh boring" and then change the subject. lol
Fighting BS one post at a time!
rxwine
rxwine
November 30th, 2013 at 7:13:40 PM permalink

Looks like Mr. Tangent is at it again. Instead of admitting that his argument was lame, all he can say is "Oh boring" and then change the subject. lol

I can't admit something that just isn't true.

Quote:

Yet America’s corporate establishment is quietly, steadily, indicating its acceptance and support for committed same-sex relationships. “We’re at a moment where a majority of the Fortune 500 offer domestic-partner benefits,” said Deena Fidas, director of workplace-equality programs for the Human Rights Campaign in Washington.

Interesting.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
November 30th, 2013 at 7:17:13 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I can't admit something that just isn't true.

Then I'll say it again:

Name ONE store in a small town that went out of business because Walmart came in, lowered their prices, put the store out of business, and then raised prices back up to the point where they were more expensive than what the first store had offered.

Oh, you mean you can't do it? Didn't think so. (You need to stick to going off on tangents. You're much better at that.) ;)
Fighting BS one post at a time!
rxwine
rxwine
November 30th, 2013 at 7:20:32 PM permalink

Then I'll say it again:

Name ONE store in a small town that went out of business because Walmart came in, lowered their prices, put the store out of business, and then raised prices back up to the point where they were more expensive than what the first store had offered.

Oh, you mean you can't do it? Didn't think so. (You need to stick to going off on tangents. You're much better at that.) ;)

To quote Beethoven9th = "Google is your friend"

Sorry Beethoven, you just have to be beaten with your own stupid words.

LOL.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 424
November 30th, 2013 at 7:22:17 PM permalink

Then I'll say it again:

It's never happened, even Rockefeller didn't do that.
He would offer a competitor to be bought out at a
good price. If they didn't sell, he would lower his
prices and put the guy out of business. But he never
put his prices higher than he did anywhere else after
the competitor was gone.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
November 30th, 2013 at 7:32:39 PM permalink

Then I'll say it again:

I've read maybe 4 or 5 books on this subject, and I know it to be true, even though I can't name a specific company off the top of my head. Walmart even sends in management/consultant types into the town before the store is built to infiltrate the local chamber of commerce, Rotary and such to deceive those people and assure that Walmart is favorably welcomed. Then sends spies to determine local pricing, deter unions, etc. I shop there, but I know they have predatory competitive practices. Results are great prices for consumers, bad for existing local businesses. Walmart negotiates contracts with manufactures to build items at a price that Walmart dictates, not the market, then after the factory is built that builds those widgets, THEN Walmart says "we won't extend that contract unless we pay 10% less than previously determined".

Walmart didn't rise to the top by being the 'good guy'. Every company that becomes the behemoth in that field has done so through self-serving, competition-squashing methods. Can YOU, Beethoven, name any company that hasn't?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 30th, 2013 at 8:01:29 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's never happened, even Rockefeller didn't do that.
He would offer a competitor to be bought out at a
good price. If they didn't sell, he would lower his
prices and put the guy out of business. But he never
put his prices higher than he did anywhere else after
the competitor was gone.

That's a pretty bold statement.

I don't think that's the way it went with Carnegie/ US Steel

Because of all kinds of skullduggery by Rockefellar is why congress created the Sherman anti-trust act.

Are you saying Standard Oil didn't aquire the competition by any means available and then raise prices? Baloney.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
November 30th, 2013 at 8:15:18 PM permalink
actually the chance of being gouged has a better chance of happening from a single business owner rather than a chain of stores wherenational negative publicity can cause millions in lost sales.

when there is a local disaster like Katrina...news stories of gouging were not at all about national chains jacking up the prices of batteries, water, and supplies.

It was all about individual business owners...you know Joes roofing....who charged high prices to put you first in line .

there is no special law or morale code that says prices should never go up.

walmart gives some generic rxs away for 4.00 for a month supply. It costs over 5 dollars in labor just to produce 1 prescription. So obviously they are losing money on that. One day those 4 dollar prices will go up. So what. That will be their perogative. They will lose some busness...but thats fine....if they choose not to lose money anymore on an rx...or choose to make an extra 50 cents on a gallon of milk...thats fine with me.

• Jump to: