Thread Rating:

beerseason
beerseason
  • Threads: 4
August 5th, 2016 at 8:39:44 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Come now? It's legal to sell a new car in this country without a spare tire of some sort? We got 'bout ten zillion government regulations and no one thought about the need for a spare tire?

...Sigh...

Just 2F

GM sold 9.8 million vehicles in 2015. Lets assume a spare and a jack costs $50 to $100. And I know they didn't lower the price of the car by the cost of omitting the jack and spare. If they cut that out of every car that would be $490,000,000 in extra profit at $50 or close to a billion at $100. Even they only cut it out of 25% of the cars that's 120 million to 250 million in extra profit.
SAMIAM
SAMIAM
  • Threads: 0
August 5th, 2016 at 11:13:09 AM permalink
Just think of all the money saved by not moving those gas tanks on Pintos.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
August 5th, 2016 at 2:33:03 PM permalink
Quote: beerseason

GM sold 9.8 million vehicles in 2015. Lets assume a spare and a jack costs $50 to $100. And I know they didn't lower the price of the car by the cost of omitting the jack and spare. If they cut that out of every car that would be $490,000,000 in extra profit at $50 or close to a billion at $100. Even they only cut it out of 25% of the cars that's 120 million to 250 million in extra profit.

I think that if you order them 1 million at at time you can prolly cut those costs by about 50%, just guessing. I do have a vague concept of the cost savings per unit of even some small modification. I suppose I should feel lucky that my car came with both a steering wheel AND a reverse gear ;-)
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 227
August 5th, 2016 at 2:41:19 PM permalink
Quote: SAMIAM

Just think of all the money saved by not moving those gas tanks on Pintos.

At least that was noticed after the fact.

Penny pinching in cars is something people notice, they just can't do much about it. With the vent windows, Cadillac got rid of them in the late 1960s and did lose some sales. But what, you never gonna buy another car? Ironically one of the last cars with them was the Yugo!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
August 5th, 2016 at 3:05:34 PM permalink

I think that if you order them 1 million at at time you can prolly cut those costs by about 50%, just guessing. I do have a vague concept of the cost savings per unit of even some small modification. I suppose I should feel lucky that my car came with both a steering wheel AND a reverse gear ;-)

My mind works in mysterious ways, when it works at all. There was a movie, Dirty Dozen (?) with Donald Sutherland as an unusual tank commander. Said something along the lines of, 'these tanks got 3 speeds forward and 6 in reverse. We like to think we can get out of trouble twice as fast as we got into it', or something like that. One of my favorite lines of all time, and now I can't find it.....
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
August 5th, 2016 at 3:33:52 PM permalink

My mind works in mysterious ways, when it works at all. There was a movie, Dirty Dozen (?) with Donald Sutherland as an unusual tank commander. Said something along the lines of, 'these tanks got 3 speeds forward and 6 in reverse. We like to think we can get out of trouble twice as fast as we got into it', or something like that. One of my favorite lines of all time, and now I can't find it.....

Maybe your thinking of "Kelly's Heroes" with Clint Eastwood? Donald Sutherland played a character named "Oddball".
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
August 5th, 2016 at 8:30:02 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Maybe your thinking of "Kelly's Heroes" with Clint Eastwood? Donald Sutherland played a character named "Oddball".

Yes, I think Kelly's Heroes might be the ticket. Oddball would work for Donald S.
I just really like the concept of getting out of trouble twice as fast as you got into it ;-)
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
August 6th, 2016 at 1:53:22 AM permalink

Oddball: These engines are the fastest in any tanks in the European Theater of Operations, forwards or backwards. You see, man, we like to feel we can get out of trouble, quicker than we got into it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 433
September 3rd, 2016 at 1:01:24 PM permalink
Remember this? They're all so young and beautiful.
Michael Jackson in his one glove phase, Ray Charles,
even Willie Nelson looks young. Paul Simon looks
like a kid almost. Bob Dylan, Bette Midler, Stevie
Wonder really getting into it as usual. 1985, 31 years
ago. If watching this doesn't stir something in you,
you're beyond hope.

"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 99
September 3rd, 2016 at 2:31:11 PM permalink
You're breaking my heart. Look how young and gorgeous Bruce is, there behind Michael.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.

• Jump to: