Thread Rating:

SAMIAM
SAMIAM
  • Threads: 0
August 4th, 2016 at 7:10:47 PM permalink
Anybody else remember when you got a full size spare tire and a bumper jack when you bought a new car.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 171
August 4th, 2016 at 7:18:37 PM permalink
Quote: SAMIAM

Anybody else remember when you got a full size spare tire and a bumper jack when you bought a new car.

Yeah, I remember when I first saw the smaller tires.

The little city commuter Smart Cars don't have a spare at all, just a pump and sealant come with the new car.
Quasimodo? Does that name ring a bell?
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
August 4th, 2016 at 7:57:26 PM permalink

Full size spare tires are still offered here and there.
Been an effing long time since I saw a bumper jack though. Made me smile. Thx.
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 77
August 4th, 2016 at 8:40:57 PM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Full size spare tires are still offered here and there.
Been an effing long time since I saw a bumper jack though. Made me smile. Thx.

My last two cars did not even come with a spare tire. I learned the hard way when I had a blowout and opened the trunk and couldn't find anything. It never even crossed my mind when buying a new car.
Order from chaos
SAMIAM
SAMIAM
August 4th, 2016 at 9:10:28 PM permalink
I asked my grandaughter to wind down the window. She asked why do I always says " Wind down " ? Gee, remember vent windows?
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
August 4th, 2016 at 9:11:26 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

My last two cars did not even come with a spare tire. I learned the hard way when I had a blowout and opened the trunk and couldn't find anything. It never even crossed my mind when buying a new car.

Come now? It's legal to sell a new car in this country without a spare tire of some sort? We got 'bout ten zillion government regulations and no one thought about the need for a spare tire?

...Sigh...

Just 2F
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 129
August 4th, 2016 at 9:24:52 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Yeah, I remember when I first saw the smaller tires.

The little city commuter Smart Cars don't have a spare at all, just a pump and sealant come with the new car.

Get a gas guzzling V8 truck. With a real spare, and a floorjack chained up in the back. Be a man.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 226
August 5th, 2016 at 2:42:09 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

Come now? It's legal to sell a new car in this country without a spare tire of some sort? We got 'bout ten zillion government regulations and no one thought about the need for a spare tire?

...Sigh...

Just 2F

You have it backwards, there WERE regs requiring a spare back to WWII rubber shortages, they were changed the past few years. Now a glorified can of fix a flat is considered good enough. Anyone who thinks it is good enough has never had a blowout. I will always have a spare onboard.

On that note, people need to learn to check their spares annually. When I bought my truck I did. Not only was it flat, it did not hold air and I had to use tools from the toolbox to get it down and even then I broke the bold as it had seized from years of rust. Trip to the tire store and dealer to get it all in order, had I been on the side of the road I would have been screwed. I now grease that bold annually to avoid rust.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 35
August 5th, 2016 at 5:18:21 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

This happened to my parents a few months ago. A piece of broken curb tore a gash in the sidewall. A can of Fix-a-Flat ain't gonna help that. The thing is, there was a well for a spare under the car, but the tire itself was an option that didn't come with the car. Like you, DRich, they didn't even think to ask when they bought the car. They will from now on!

Fortunately, they were only a few blocks from a tire shop when this happened.

Gee, remember vent windows?

I love vent windows! My Dad's first pickup (well, first that I remember) had them. You got better air circulation in the cab/car, but didn't get "blown around" as much as you did with just the windows down.

I guess as more and more cars came standard with A/C, nobody needed vent windows any more. It will never happen, but I would love to see them make a comeback.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
SAMIAM
SAMIAM
August 5th, 2016 at 7:31:29 AM permalink
I remember car Ariel that actually stuck up in the air, and had 3 sections. After some hoodlum stole ours. the second section was perfect size for a .22 zip gun, we kept a coat hanger in the car. I would lean our side window and hold it in the old hole so Dad could hear the result of the last horse race as we drove home. Byebye 8 track players, cassettes and now most new cars dont even
have a cd players. Just a slot to plug in an mp3 or whatever the hell it is.
At least when I ride on the bus now, I no longer have to hear a boom box blasting in the seat behind me

• Jump to: