AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
August 27th, 2012 at 5:32:37 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Some of us here remember when Neil Armstrong stepped
onto the surface of the moon. I thought my head would
explode with the tension. I was a huge sci/fi fan. 43 years
ago, seems like last week..

It is also worth remembering when the USA took up big challenges. A POTUS that made a challenge based not on some "compassionate" goal but a pure scientiffic one. We didn't know we would get the thousands of great tech breakthroughs we got, but we did. We lost a few lives, but the project went on. Just 17 years after the moon landing, a mere 6 deaths raised calls to end manned space flignts altogether. The refrain from half the USA was, "we spent all that money while we have all these poor people here on earth!"

It took just 66 years from the first flight to the moon landing. But barely 40 from the moon landing to the grounding of all USA manned space flight.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 174
August 27th, 2012 at 6:13:48 AM permalink

Some of us here remember when Neil Armstrong stepped
onto the surface of the moon...

When you wrote that, were you aware
that Neil Armstrong passed away on Saturday?

R.I.P. Moonman...
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? 😁 Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition. 🤗
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 27th, 2012 at 6:33:59 AM permalink
I got paroled after serving 4 years in the USAF in April 1966. The new enlistee who was moving into my barracks room would not be
paroled until 1970. I remember telling him by then we would have a man on the moon. I was just kidding LOL
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
August 27th, 2012 at 7:51:01 AM permalink

In the 50's we there were no cheap ballpoint pens. They
were around, but they cost as much a $100 in todays
money. We used fountain pens in grade school.

It wasn't until about 1960 that Bic introduced the first
cheap ballpoint for 19 cents. Everybody used them,
it was only pen you saw.

You were lucky to be at such a progressive school Bob. Throughout most of my elementary school in the 50's we were required to use the school supplied 'dip pens' (a removal ink nib on a shaped and painted wooden handle). Our wooden desks came with a whole in the upper corner that accepted the bottle of school supplied ink for dipping the pen. Before I made it to high school they relaxed the rules and we were allowed to have fountain pens. Eventually in high school ballpoint pens were allowed. My recollection of the reason the ballpoint pens were resisted for many years is two fold. The obvious reason was that the early pens were not of a very good quality and leaked and left blobs on the paper. The second reason was, and still is true, this is the fact that pressure and pen direction with a nib pen makes for a varied line width and a much more ornate/refined scriipt. Sadly in todays world that is no longer considered a sufficient reason to use a fountain pen.
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 27th, 2012 at 7:57:25 AM permalink
I had one of them desks too. In the center at the top was a carved grove to lay pencils in.

We used to put mercury from broken thermometers in there and play with it. LOL
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
August 27th, 2012 at 8:05:03 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

I had one of them desks too. In the center at the top was a carved grove to lay pencils in.

We used to put mercury from broken thermometers in there and play with it. LOL

I used to collect and play with mercury all the time to Buzz. If you listen to the environmentalists now you would think contact with a little mercury was an automatic death sentance. The landlord of one of the houses I lived in as a kid was an amateur gold panner and had a beer bottle full of the stuff. He would let me fill a pan and play with it occasionally
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
August 27th, 2012 at 9:16:43 AM permalink
I forget when or where, but fairly recently some mercury in a bottle hit the floor and the bottle broke in a high school lab. Officials were aghast it was still around, and although no one was allowed to touch it, of course, they closed the school till hazmat could come in.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 217
August 27th, 2012 at 12:05:07 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I forget when or where, but fairly recently some mercury in a bottle hit the floor and the bottle broke in a high school lab. Officials were aghast it was still around, and although no one was allowed to touch it, of course, they closed the school till hazmat could come in.

Administrators must lose all common sense when hired or promoted. This reminds me of my last day in pest control. Well-meaning tech tells people rats and mice can spread hantivirus. Someone googles it. An hour later they clear the building and call my office. I was so glad I got fired that day and didn't have to deal with it

People these days seem conditioned to think everything will kill them.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing

• Jump to: