Thread Rating:

AlanRRT
AlanRRT
  • Threads: 1
August 6th, 2012 at 12:31:15 PM permalink
I came home from Las Vegas on Friday, and visited the Atomic Testing Museum, on Flamingo just east of Paradise. For those of us that remember bomb shelters, duck and cover, etc., it's well worth going to.
I took the tour of the Nevada Nuclear Test Site several years ago. They built houses, railroad bridges and other buildings to see how they would hold up in the nuclear tests. One structure they built was a bomb shelter, and the side facing the blast is twisted rebar with bits of concrete still clinging to the rebar. There is a picture of it in the museum. I'm sure the occupants of the bomb shelter would have been just as dead as those outside of it. My question, though, is how would anyone have known to get into the bomb shelter? I'm sure the Soviets wouldn't have warned us ahead of time so we could get in the shelter.
No wonder I had nightmares about nuclear attacks until I was in my 20's.
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
August 6th, 2012 at 12:50:19 PM permalink
Quote: AlanRRT

I came home from Las Vegas on Friday, and visited the Atomic Testing Museum, on Flamingo just east of Paradise. For those of us that remember bomb shelters, duck and cover, etc., it's well worth going to.
I took the tour of the Nevada Nuclear Test Site several years ago. They built houses, railroad bridges and other buildings to see how they would hold up in the nuclear tests. One structure they built was a bomb shelter, and the side facing the blast is twisted rebar with bits of concrete still clinging to the rebar. There is a picture of it in the museum. I'm sure the occupants of the bomb shelter would have been just as dead as those outside of it. My question, though, is how would anyone have known to get into the bomb shelter? I'm sure the Soviets wouldn't have warned us ahead of time so we could get in the shelter.
No wonder I had nightmares about nuclear attacks until I was in my 20's.

CONELRAD. Anyone remember duck and cover?
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 418
August 6th, 2012 at 2:06:12 PM permalink
Quote: 1BB

CONELRAD. Anyone remember duck and cover?

Hiding under our desks and thinking it would save
us. Laughable.
"It's not enough to succeed, your friends must fail." Gore Vidal
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2012 at 8:15:10 PM permalink
In the 50's we there were no cheap ballpoint pens. They
were around, but they cost as much a $100 in todays
money. We used fountain pens in grade school.

It wasn't until about 1960 that Bic introduced the first
cheap ballpoint for 19 cents. Everybody used them,
it was only pen you saw.

Headlock
Headlock
  • Threads: 16
August 6th, 2012 at 8:27:50 PM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

Put the car in first gear, let out the clutch, and grind the starter. It will drag you off the railroad tracks.

I actually drove my car, 1964 Impala with 4 speed, like this for a month or so. The clutch pivot broke and I could not find a replacement. I would shut the car off at stoplights and start it up again in first gear. Shifting gears without a clutch, anyone remember that?
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 158
August 6th, 2012 at 8:32:01 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It wasn't until about 1960 that Bic introduced the first
cheap ballpoint for 19 cents. Everybody used them,
it was only pen you saw.

What's funny about those bic pens that I remember, is, they'd either dry up, or leak ink in your shirt pocket.
One person's freedom is another person's annoying crap.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
August 6th, 2012 at 8:33:45 PM permalink
I had a buddy who reverse gear was gone. Sometimes on a dead end street, he would drive on lawns on both sides of the street to turn around. LOL
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 158
August 6th, 2012 at 8:35:08 PM permalink
I remember when enemas were dreaded rubber bags for medical use.

Not the health spa, or fun bags of today.
One person's freedom is another person's annoying crap.
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 6th, 2012 at 8:43:44 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

What's funny about those bic pens that I remember, is, they'd either dry up, or leak ink in your shirt pocket.

They didn't seem to last long. And 19 cents is
$1.50 in todays money.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
August 7th, 2012 at 12:01:04 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

They didn't seem to last long. And 19 cents is $1.50 in todays money.

Back then, even if it was a Bic, you guarded your pen. Certainly they weren't just lying around all over the place like today.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder

• Jump to: